220 South 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tavern17restaurant.com/
- Phone: 2157901799
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:00am Dining Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch Saturday - Sunday - Holidays: 7:00am - 3:00pm; Dining Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am; Sunday - Holidays: 3:00pm - 11:00pm. Outside seating hours may differ. Reservations are not accepted for outside seating.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Young
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Tavern 17 will cater to your office for breakfast or all day dining up until 8pm for up to 50 people at a time. Please inquire at 215-790-7755 for details, pricing and menu selections.
- Private Party Facilities: Tavern 17 provides a fresh alternative venue for that special event or celebration you are planning. It is the perfect atmosphere for graduations, rehearsal dinners, engagement parties, birthday and anniversary dinners and networking events. Tavern 17 is avialable for Private Luncheons.
- Private Party Contact: Patty Burch 0000000000
A word from Tavern 17
There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern." -Samuel Johnson Throughout time, taverns have been synonymous with Philadelphia. They were the social hub of the neighborhood; a place for men and women from all walks of life to meet, eat, drink, toast, sing & argue. The concept is timeless, the story inspiring, the room inviting, the people irresistible.... Welcome to Tavern 17. This stunning restaurant and bar in the Rittenhouse Square district of the city offers an innovative menu. From 5pm - 7pm Monday through Friday and 9pm - 11pm Sunday is Happy "17:00" Hour featuring $2 off ALL Draft Beers, $5 House Wine and Appetizers for every kind of taste bud. There is a wine centric beverage menu featuring over 45 glasses of white or red wines. Two private dining rooms, outside dining and a great brew menu complement the restaurant well. No reservations for outside seating accept.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tavern 17 reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- The food was yummy, and hadShannonDined on 3/17/2013The food was yummy, and had leftovers for a second meal. The server was very good and very adaptable to her settings!Special Features:
- Great food and ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/11/2013Very good food, the service was fast, and I loved the restaurant decor. My only problem was when we walked in, there was no one to greet us so we stood for a while looking around. Finally we approached the bar and were told to sit anywhere. It would have been nicer to have a sign up saying "seat yourself." The prices were a little steep for the entrees and wine list, but I had a Groupon which helped out a great deal. I would definitely return if I had another Groupon.Special Features:
- First time here. People wereOUT2muchVIPDined on 3/10/2013First time here. People were friendly, service was timely, food was good. Went for brunch.Special Features:
- We were pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/9/2013We were pleasantly surprised by our experience as hotel restaurants have traditionally not offered the best F and B.
- A very good restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2013A very good restaurant in a hotel is a rare thing. Nice wines by the glass, creative menu, good value.Special Features:
- The person who I took withOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/4/2013The person who I took with me for dinner summed it up very nicely - it's a typical hotel restaurant with typical food...
- The service was the best part.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/1/2013The service was the best part. The fish tacos are a fishstick in a tortilla. However, the crab and avocado appetizer was good. The Seafood linguine had too much cream sauce for my liking. The scallops were good though. This was only worth the visit because of the Groupon price, though. For the amount we would have paid, we could have gotten a nicer dinner elsewhere.
- This place was terrible! IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013This place was terrible! I came here with my boyfriend. We stood in the lobby for 15 minutes before we approached a waitress to ask of someone could seat us. We received out appetizers an hour after we sat. 45 mins late, our entrees. Everything was so salty that neither or is finished. The service was terrible. We could overhear the bar way too clearly (a man was yelling about how he owned a gun and wanted to shoot people and no one asked him to please quiet down). I will never go back and will make sure everyone knows this place is awful.
- We had brunch here. The mealPalmer3465VIPDined on 2/17/2013We had brunch here. The meal was average. Would like to try again maybe for lunch. With all the choices available in Philadelphia I would say work is needed to compete.
- Good restaurant in a goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Good restaurant in a good location. I recommend them.Special Features:
- I didn't care for the decorJacquieD55Dined on 2/1/2013I didn't care for the decor in the restaurant at all. The bar area looked nicer, but the area we were sitting in looked like a diner. Table clothes would go a long way in that room! Our service was good & the food was great. We all loved our salad, appetizers & entrees. I'd return, but eat at the bar!
- It's hard to describe a diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/30/2013It's hard to describe a dining experience that's perfect in all areas, and after dining at Tavern 17 I'm definitely speechless. The beer list was plentiful with delicious craft beers and ciders, with good descriptions of what kind of flavor you'll get out of them, so it's really helpful in deciding what beverage to pair with your meal - we found the tartness of one of the ciders went really well with the fresh salads we got to start! The service was exceptional - our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and extremely nice. The design and layout was very good - you never felt crowded, and the lighting and ambiance were right on point - not too dark and not too bright. Overall, it was an amazing dining experience.Special Features:
- The food was so so and weoutandaboutVIPDined on 1/26/2013The food was so so and we had to keep trying to get the attention of the server.
- Edible, not much else.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2013Calls itself a Tavern but more like a lounge. Lots of lights not working leaving some diners in the dark. Food okay but not special. Lots of unnecessary garnish and frill. Good selection of beers. Meh. I won't be back.Special Features:
- Me. WalkerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/21/2013The atmosphere was nice and the food was awesome and filling. The service was moderate, our server was not bad or nasty just wasn't very friendly and did not greet us properly or provide details on the menu. We still liked the place and will definitely go back. The manager was nice, he came out to fix an issue on our point collection for Open Table, when he didn't even have to. We really appreciated that.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013Benefitted from purchasing a four entre groupon deal, thereby enjoying a large menu selection. The service was impeccable and the food was fresh, seasoned well and cooked expertly.Special Features:
- So-So Service and FoodPhillyangel215Dined on 1/20/2013When I arrived for a 5pm reservation on a Sunday I walked in to an empty hostess station. I stood there for approximately one minute before moving towards the bar. When I sat down at the bar, the bartender walked over and put two menus in front of me but never said hello. When my dinner guest arrived about 10 minutes late the hostess station was still empty so we flagged down one of the waitresses who escorted us to a table. We were highly disappointed in the amount if time between courses as the restaurant was about 20-25% filled. Since we ordered items from the Restaurant Week menu we ordered every item at the same time but yet our entire meal took almost a full two hours to complete. My food was not the best, loved the brownie.
- Good, but Slightly OverpricedAndrewVIPDined on 1/17/2013Good food, nice atmosphere. Good for groups. Well located. But, a bit pricey.Special Features:
- The food was very good, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/12/2013The food was very good, especially the tuna tartare appetizer and the short rib quesadilla appetizer. Pretty reasonable prices for food of that level. The drinks were overly expensive, though, and pretty small.
- The food was good, the menuSeanVIPDined on 1/11/2013The food was good, the menu was compact but interesting and with enough choices to justify several visits. The "tavern" part is serious - the dining tables ring the bar so if you want a quiet evening, go somewhere else. Overall, it was a great place for dinner.Special Features:
- Tavern 17 is awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2012The experience was awful from the start. Waited at the hostess stand for 5 minutes and then told to sit wherever we wanted. I ordered the scallops and risotto- I actually thought it was mashed potatoes when it was served-it was like mush! Do not eat here!
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012We had 6:45pm Christmas Day reservations and when we arrived their were 8 people ahead of us waiting to be seated. There was no hostess to greet us and all of us stood there waiting to be acknowledged when finally an employee informed us to be patient because they needed to set up tables. After waiting 20 minutes to be seated. We were escorted to our table where we waited another 10 to 15 mins without being greeted by a server. The service was horrible and ultimately left without eating. I recommend staying away from this place !
- Service was mehOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/25/2012Service was extremely slow. Understaffed. Got seated at 7:15 for a 6:30 reservation.. Didn't have some of what we ordered after we ordered it. Not a good experience. Didnt finish until 9:30. Won't be back.
- My family and I really likedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012My family and I really liked this restaurant and will go there again. TWe were treated well and the staff was professional and curteous. The food was very good and even though the selection was minimal we all found a favorite.Special Features:
- Bad service. Food was averageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/17/2012Bad service. Food was average at best. Plenty of better choices to eat in the area.
- Nice location in Center CityNhsmd1Dined on 12/15/2012Nice location in Center City Philadelphia close to Rittenhouse Square. I had scallops and my wife had the short ribs. Both were delicious and nicely prepared. The warm brownie with vanilla ice cream was a nice finishing touch! Good beer choices!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/3/2012I used a groupon deal and I have to say--no regrets! I've been to Tavern 17 for happy hour before and this was the first time I've eaten here. Quite frankly, I know I'll return--the food was amazing! Everything was just right--the tuna tostado had just enough spice and crunch. And their scallops! The biggest scallop portions I've ever seen and more than enough food for the price! Our waiter was simply wonderful--we told him we couldn't decide on dessert and were down to the brownie with ice cream and the cheesecake. He told us it's a tough choice but went into more detail on each one. We ended up choosing the cheesecake. But when the desserts came out he gave us both of them, the other on the house, since he didn't want us missing out!Special Features:
- Outside not having my firstOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/2/2012Outside not having my first 2 choices for Dinner available everything was good !! We had 4 oclock reservations so it was kinda empty but it shortly filled up. The staff was very friendly and competant and the food was good !! Nice Place . . . .
- Slow service. Waited overOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/1/2012Slow service. Waited over 30 min to get more water or be asked if I'd like another glass of wine
- Service was very slow andMiriamDined on 11/29/2012Service was very slow and it was not busy there. They offer no bread unless you pay extra for that. Food was good but not great. I doubt I would return there.
- Ok...just ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2012Was quite surprised they didn't have wine bottle service, could only buy bottles by the glass. Had to ask the waitress for a number of things that just didn't seem to phase her were missing- water, bread and butter plates, forks for the next service...not convinced much was made in house- the stuffing that came with our turkey dinner tasted much like a commercial brand, our dessert certainly wasn't. Great room and ambiance, but not enough to bring me back.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving dinner was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012Thanksgiving dinner was delicious and service was timely and with a smile. We had dinner at Tavern 17 Saturday night as well as Sunday breakfast. We would return again to try more dishes at Tavern 17.Special Features:
- Good ValuePhillyfoodloverDined on 11/22/2012We went for Thanksgiving dinner and were satisfied with the meal for the price. It was exactly what we wanted and surprisingly wasn't crowded.
- Thankgiving mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2012This was a nice restaurant, decor very nice, contemporary. Tables surrounded a bar area, which was empty, but might not be the best set up for dining during happy hour. The food absolutely delicious and the service pretty good. What we did not like however was that it was SO RUSHED. We were there from 1-3pm and the place was only half full, so no need to rush us. We got our soup and weren't even finished with it when they brought out our salads. Then barely through with them they brought the main course! We needed time in between courses to digest the food, talk a bit, drink, it was worse than too long a wait for food. Then the same thing with our dessert. It was rather upsetting. If it weren't for that I'd've given them five stars.
- Poor service, disorganizedphillyphileVIPDined on 11/18/2012I dined w/a group of 8 on a day when i. B/c the restaurant's bartender had called out, they couldn't prepare any specialty cocktails. The service was OK, but there were many awkward moments and a serious lack of preparation. One server who took down our drink orders came back multiple times confused about who had ordered what. One person ordered a cappuccino but wasn't brought any sugar or a spoon. A second server miscalculated what we'd paid and came back telling us we didn't give her enough money. After we did the math a second time, we told her we had given more than enough and asked her to check again, at which point she realized her error. I.e., too many mishaps in one dining experience for me to even consider returning.
- Great evening, with wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2012Great evening, with wonderful food and good service. The Tuna Tartare and short rib quesadillas were especially tasty. The seafood pasta special was very good. Atmosphere is very nice, not too stuffy and comfortable, laid back feeling.Special Features:
- There was nothing bad aboutAnthonyDined on 11/2/2012There was nothing bad about the experience, but there was nothing great about the experience either. It's a nice looking place. The hostess (although she wasn't at the station nor asked if we had a reservation) was nice and seated us right away. Our server was very friendly. The one critique is that she could have been more knowledgeable about the food, specials, attention to details (like how I did not have a place setting), etc. Granted, our orders were basic - their mixed nuts, chicken sandwich and burger - but the food was under seasoned and blah overall. Maybe I'd go back there to grab a drink, but probably not dinner.
- Chose it since it was in ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2012Chose it since it was in our hotel but the service was bad, the food so so and pricey.
- We enjoyed our meal and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2012We enjoyed our meal and the atmosphere. Service was friendly and efficient.
- Salad was tasty and fresh.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2012Salad was tasty and fresh. Steak bit gristly. Dined here a 2nd time but sat at bar. They were out of both desserts that I wanted. Service slow to get check . Overall is was just okSpecial Features: