Max's Seafood Cafe
34 North Burlington Street
Gloucester, NJ 08030Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Max's Seafood Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maxsseafoodcafe.com/
- Phone: 8564569774x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ralph Sitero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room with a fireplace off of our wine cellar that seats up to 22 people and a minimum of two. Perfect place for meeting, family gatherings and intimate special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Michele Perillo-Monahan 6094123166x
A word from Max's Seafood Cafe
Max's Café was built in 1890 as a shoe store. In 1912, 34 North Burlington Street reopened as Leisinger's Saloon for the next 25 years even through prohibition (as a "soft drink establishment"). In 1937, Leisinger's Saloon passed through the family & was renamed Max's Cafe; it’s name for the next 65 years. In 1977, a new simply prepared fresh seafood menu transformed Max's Cafe into Max’s Seafood Café. The neighboring building was acquired to seat the growing number of patrons from both sides of the Delaware River, often forming lines around the corner, waiting to enjoy fresh flounder, shrimp, clams, & most of all, Steamed Mussels! Max's reputation grew for the next 22 years before age & neglect left it in a state of disrepair. The bar restaurant closed in July of 1998 & remained dormant for 2 ½ years. Refurbished in late 2000, Max's Seafood Cafe reopened on June 2, 2001 to continue its tradition of hospitality, impeccably fresh seafood, & most of all Steamed mussels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Max's Seafood Cafe - Best Restaurants in Gloucester City ›
Max's Seafood Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)special occasion (24)fit for foodies (21)romantic (12)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Nice BarStewartDined on 1/26/2014Very attractive bar, I'd go there for a drink again as they have several of my favorite beers available. As for the food it wasn't especially memorable. My wife and I both had the crab cakes, which were described as "jumbo lump", and weren't. We had the blue points and they were fresh and briny but the fried oyster appetizer was luke warm and very bland.Special Features:
- Great place, people skills neededDrRonVIPDined on 1/26/2014Nice location, beautiful. Nice touches were missing & mgt. needs to address quality dining. Staff not up to par. Bar: no one checked to see if we were all right, needed a refill. Friendly, missing special touches that sell more drinks. When seated, our nice server turned us over to another after telling us SHE was waiting on us. A simple word would have made sense & made us understand why another was taking our order. 2nd server excellent. Did not know if she should have been taking our order based on what we were told. Bread should NEVER be ice cold. After second basket of cold bread, we asked to please warm the bread. Then: delicious. Great place, good seafood, but staff need to be more customer savvy, friendly, & appropriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not so gooddiamondmanVIPDined on 1/23/2014I have been there many times and this time was not good.
- Birthday CelebrationLuckyLadyDined on 1/17/2014Six of us enjoyed a wonderful meal to celebrate my daughter's birthday. The Mussels and Crispy Oysters appetizers are some of best in the area. Filet Mignon, Chicken Parmesan , Ahi Tuna and a Cod and Tilapia with couscous were delicious and cook just as ordered. Our server was attentive but not obtrusive. Will definitely return. Make sure to Join Max's Mailing List to receive amazing offers and coupons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as it used to bemmmkbroganDined on 1/11/2014a small garden salad used to be included with the entre now it is alacart extra $7. the clams on the half shell which were $1.50 for each clam were some of the smallest clams I have ever had
- Great JobBig1Dined on 12/28/2013al I can sau is that it was exactly as I wanted it to be... great seafood, good service... a hidden gem... in Gloucester City, no less.Special Features:
- Once again great diningJimmynDeanDined on 12/28/2013About 5th time maxis seafood cafe brought the girlfriend's parents here first time for them they loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousShirleyDined on 12/26/2013As usual, the mussels never disappoint. They are the best receipe and tenderness EVER!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feast of 7 FishesSteveDined on 12/24/2013We visited Max's as they were promoting their Feast of the 7 Fishes menu. It was not what we expected; there were a few choices from 3 lists and you chose one from each list for your 3 courses. Food and presentation was excellent, however, it was a bit pricy at $39.95 each. This will not deter us from visiting Max's again, but will likely not partake in their 7 fishes promotion next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were with a party of fourWaldo62Dined on 12/24/2013We were with a party of four for an early Christmas eve dinner. Three of the four had the Feast of 7 Fishes and one ordered from the menu. Overall food was good, but service was poor. Our server was not very attentive. She did not check back after our entrees had been delivered and took about 20 minutes to return to our table after giving us our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchTra10Dined on 12/21/2013Really enjoyed the food and it wasn't very crowded so the noise level was good. My only complaint was that they sat us in area of the dining room that was kind of close to another table that was having a holiday luncheon so that was a little annoying. But other than that, really enjoy Max's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kitchen needs to look at menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/20/2013all of my food here was good and service was friendly, but had to have waiter go back to the kitchen 3 times to get my order correct. first no fries came out for kids menu, then regular fries came with lobster roll when stated old bay fries, and then kitchen just sends out a cup of old bay for me to sprinkle on my own fries. food was good, but I don't want to keep telling them what is on their own menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it here....AkatzDined on 12/13/2013I never get tired of having dinner at Max's the staff is great, the food is awesome.Special Features:
- Holiday LunchWorkaholicDined on 12/11/2013My department went out to lunch to celebrate the upcoming Holidays. Everyone loved the food and enjoyed the fact that it is one of those tucked away gems. There weren't that many people there for lunch but the few groups that were there were very respectful and kept the volume pretty low. The wait staff is very attentive and knowledgeable, which made choosing an entree easy. Everyone enjoyed the ambience, especially that feeling of being transported back in time upon entering and seeing the bar. I would recommend Max's for intimate outings in which the conversation is the main draw. I do know Max's has a large room that does accommdate larger groups so a large group would not feel out of place. Overall, I give Max's an A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/3/2013It's just the most comfortable bar to walk in to. Music on weekends is a lot of fun! Definitely reminds me of Cheers! Wether you sit at the bar and eat (which we love to do sometimes) or you enter the dining room, you will be in for a treat. The staff is always accommodating in every way. We always enjoy everything we order. We had a tour of the wine cellar, and now can't wait to have a family gathering downstairs in their private dining room.Special Features:
- Great for a holiday mealInflyturDined on 11/28/2013Max's, unlike most restaurants, brings their A game when it comes to a special menu for a holiday. We come here over and over again for holidays such as Mother's Day, Easter, and Thanksgiving because we know they will serve food at the same level of quality as they do on regular service. Max's is such a gem.Special Features:
- Amazing Small Town GemQueenDined on 11/24/2013This place has Superb seafood! Try the mussels in the Irish sauce...greatest mussels I have ever eaten!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous and Fresh!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2013Went to Max's with friends on a recent Friday night. Had a great experience. The seafood specials were delicious!! Our waiter was very knowledgeable and offered to recommend some reasonable bottles if wine which were great as well. Our son is a huge craft beer fan and he raved about the beer menu. All in all a great dinner!Special Features:
- ClassicJuliaDined on 11/10/2013Everything about our visit was great. The drinks were great. The seafood was fresh and delicious. It can be difficult to find good fried oysters, a classic. Max's has them. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loosing LusterCalliDined on 10/26/2013No one else in the place when we arrived (5) but the host tried to seat us in the bright, sunny window with the sun in our eyes. We asked to be seated further back, and were. Waiter took our drink order and my companion specifically told him that she wanted a lemon twist and NOT a cherry. You can guess what showed up in her drink. He did replace it. My jambalaya, which I've had here in the past, was not up to par. Tiny bits of meat and way too much rice. Bland sauce. My dinner companions both enjoyed their entrees.Special Features:
- Fall Harvest FELLwalkingstickDined on 10/24/2013We have always loved Max's Seafood as our neighborhood go-to place for Mussels and to bring out-of-town guests for dinner but the recent FALL HARVEST 4 COURSE Special was a huge disappointment. Next time I'll stick to their regular menu.Special Features:
- WonderfulChloeDined on 10/23/2013What a wonderful surprise. The food was wonderful. The restaurant had been renovated 12 years ago and looked great. We will put this on our"A" list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekBruceDined on 10/20/2013Went for the four course $35 restaurant week offering. Wasn't disappointed! Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Quiet Sunday eveningNorispopVIPDined on 10/6/2013We went for dinner on a Sunday evening. Not very crowded. Food was good, not spectacular. Menu had many options. This place looks like it has been in this neighborhood forever and will probably be there fr that long as well.
- Another Great ExperienceeapoeVIPDined on 10/5/2013Never a disappointment... excellent service, food and ambiance.
- FoodDonna913Dined on 9/28/2013Great food and great service. I've been there about 4 times now and never a let down.Special Features:
- Love it there!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2013Bar is awesome and great entertainment on weekends. Something for everyone on the menus and food is consistent and specials are always great in the dining room. Loved the new Sunset Menu $25 Menu!!! We booked our company party downstairs in the private dining room...can't wait!Special Features:
- Terrific terrific waiter,CharlieDined on 9/13/2013Terrific terrific waiter, awesome awesome food and menu. I've been going there since it was ahole in a wall for 40 years. Its always special and top of the line service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED Max's!!!ChristineDined on 9/11/2013This was our first time at Max's in many years and we already can't wait to go back. The Thai Mussels were incredible and our server, Bob was an absolute professional and made our experience even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood -worth driving to NJBigguyVIPDined on 9/8/2013Great Seafood at its finest. We drive about 15 miles from PA to enjoy this great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceNoOneSpecialDined on 9/7/2013Good place to go to. The place itself was a little small, but very nice. The food was also very good and not too expensive. The Wine selection was good as well. The place appears to be known for live music and a good wine list. The only issue I had was the service. Our waiter was very good, but he was clearly over-loaded. They could use to have additional staff. Part of the problem is since they carrier a large wine list and appear to specialize in this area, the wait staff tend to talk or have to ask questions about the wine list. This tends to create a longer wait for service. Overall, I thought the place was a good place to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muscles - All Gone!! :(GrandMomofSixDined on 9/6/2013Evidently, the folks who came for Happy Hour ate up all the Muscles! Although at first very disappointed that they had run out of muscles, all four of us were happy with each of our meals . The waiter John was great, noted our disappointment and said that rarely happens and they were expecting them at any moment - which never came. I have to say I had the best clams and linguine I have ever had. My husband had the stuffed flounder and was very happy. Our friends each complimented their dishes (pasta and shrimp and ? I forget) and we were quite satisfied after the initial disappointment of not being able to enjoy muscles! (A dish that Max's is noted for and is the reason I only gave 4 stars).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but..Luke61VIPDined on 9/2/2013Decent food, decent prices but lousy service. It seemed like our waiter forgot us, and the place was not all that full.
- a great neighbor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2013A great experience,good food,great wine selection,nice atmosphere and available parking.Special Features:
- If you want superb seafood...youNickVIPDined on 8/19/2013If you want superb seafood...you must eat at Max's. Service was impeccable and a good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2013We were very impressed by the decor of this quaint, historical dinning environment. The service was very professional and the food was very delicious. Soft music played while we ate, which was a very relaxing ambiance. We would definitely return again and are spreading the word!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.Tra10Dined on 8/16/2013Enjoyed this place. Definitely will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well DoneeapoeVIPDined on 8/10/2013We celebrated my daughter's 21st birthday at Max’s and they did a splendid job in all aspects of our dining experience. The shrimp fra diavolo was spectacular, and by all accounts, the steaks were done perfectly. The wait staff went out the way to make sure that we were comfortable and satisfied ... including a fine rendition of Happy Birthday to my daughter. Fantastic job.Special Features:
- Nice Little GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2013We enjoyed our dining experience - the food, atmosphere & staff were very good and accommodating. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerletmeinDined on 7/30/2013This was our second family birthday dinner experience. First experience was excellent - on a Friday night. This time, the Tuesday evening made for little noise (good!) & thru half or more of our time there, we were the only ones in that particular dining room. I personally was disappointed in my mahi mahi special: tasted good but portion size was very small; same for veggie. Risotto was tasteless. (One of the alcoholic drinks was also poor.) Everyone else in my party seemed okay with theirs except for other person who also got mahi mahi special. I would definitely return, for the neighborhood feeling of the place, and past good experience in food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.