Max's Seafood Cafe
34 North Burlington Street
Gloucester, NJ 08030Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Max's Seafood Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maxsseafoodcafe.com/
- Phone: 8564569774x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ralph Sitero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room with a fireplace off of our wine cellar that seats up to 22 people and a minimum of two. Perfect place for meeting, family gatherings and intimate special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Michele Perillo-Monahan 6094123166x
A word from Max's Seafood Cafe
Max's Café was built in 1890 as a shoe store. In 1912, 34 North Burlington Street reopened as Leisinger's Saloon for the next 25 years even through prohibition (as a "soft drink establishment"). In 1937, Leisinger's Saloon passed through the family & was renamed Max's Cafe; it’s name for the next 65 years. In 1977, a new simply prepared fresh seafood menu transformed Max's Cafe into Max’s Seafood Café. The neighboring building was acquired to seat the growing number of patrons from both sides of the Delaware River, often forming lines around the corner, waiting to enjoy fresh flounder, shrimp, clams, & most of all, Steamed Mussels! Max's reputation grew for the next 22 years before age & neglect left it in a state of disrepair. The bar restaurant closed in July of 1998 & remained dormant for 2 ½ years. Refurbished in late 2000, Max's Seafood Cafe reopened on June 2, 2001 to continue its tradition of hospitality, impeccably fresh seafood, & most of all Steamed mussels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Max's Seafood Cafe - Best Restaurants in Gloucester City ›
Max's Seafood Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)special occasion (23)fit for foodies (22)romantic (13)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Lunch!PV101Dined on 5/13/2014Had lunch with co-workers and everyone enjoyed their meal very much! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- satisfiedDined on 5/10/2014We have dined here many times, service and food are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowJayTrexDined on 5/10/2014Was blown away by the food it was out of control everything we had was awesome great meal and I can't wait to go back !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doug OlsenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Great restaurant experience. The music was nice for evening dining and the food was very good. Will certainly come again.Special Features:
- Disappointing Easter LuncheonSJFoodieDined on 4/20/2014We have dined at Max's a few times and been very pleased with the food and service. However, the Easter special was a big disappointment. Two members of our party selected the Grilled Lamb Chop Special. The lamb was tough and the chop was poorly trimmed. There was a lot of gristle that was not edible. The salad under the lamb chops was overly dressed which made the fried new potatoes soggy. Flavor of the salad and the fresh tomato-mint concasse was good but the overall dish was disappointing. Another member of our party selected the crab cakes from the regular menu and was very pleased with that offering. We also chose the rhubarb berry cobbler dessert special. The dish was very cold and the cobbler was dense and hard.Special Features:
- Not quite what it was last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2014Not crowded on Good Friday. (Odd for a Seafood restaurant?) So I would classify the hit or miss service as between poor and fair. The waitress asked us what our order was about 15 minutes after we ordered. About 10 minutes after that she approached me and said that she was so sorry to tell me that the place was just making a new batch of crab cakes and it would take quite a bit longer - in the mean time could she bring me a complimentary house salad. I was perplexed how a seafood restaurant could be out of crab cakes on Good Friday, but I told her I would take a salad. A minute later she arrived with the originally ordered entrees and said "Here we are! Sorry I had you confused with another table!" Food was fairly good. Off service.
- Lobster Rolls are GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/18/2014had the lobster roll and old bay fries. it was great, will be back to have it againSpecial Features:
- over all pretty good...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2014The Shrimp were pretty good size, the truffle fries were amazing. The only two things I didn't like was there was no amuse-bouche offered for open table, this was the first restaurant we went to while using open table that didn't of. The second being I made a special request to put a candle in the dessert when I made the reservation that never came and that was the only reason I ordered the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max' has not disappointedhomerDined on 4/9/2014Max' has not disappointed me over the years. Food is excellent and service was good. A relaxing evening for sure. Was a perfect evening to celebrate my husband's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It took then ten minutes toAlwayshungryDined on 4/2/2014It took then ten minutes to come to the door to seat us. The calamari was just ok. Not much flavor. I ordered fish and chips. It wasn't nasty but nothing to rave about. The fries were dark and so was the fish. It's also really dark there for a lunch hour.
- not what it once wasmcmpimDined on 3/30/2014Service was bad, my food was worse. Mentioned in my reservation we were there for a birthday- no one even said "Happy Birthday" to our family member and our table wasn't ready when we arrived, even after I called to confirm. When I said I didn't care for the oysters ( I have had them here before, this time something was just not right) the chef came out to "educate" me and tell me I was wrong (WHAT???) they wouldn't even take the plate away and then I had the pleasure of paying for them. We were not made to feel welcomed or appreciated and years of great memories are now replaced with this awful experience. We all left speechless and not in a good way
- Really Good DinnerSteveVIPDined on 3/29/2014My fried sea food combo was made with panko bread crumbs and was prepared well and tasted delicious. My wife said that her steamed clams and mussels in red sauce were to die for. This was the second time we were there in about 3 weeks. If the food stays like this we will keep gioing back.Special Features:
- CommentsjoebDined on 3/28/2014Visited Max's twice in 2 weeks. Food is vg, service VG. not very crowded except bar area. friendly clientele. Prices were towards the high end, but reasonable. Neighborhood seemed very safe, ample parking. Mussels were exceptional as were the crab cakes. Plus Stella on tap is my favorite beverage. Lots of pluses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you are in the mood forJoboDined on 3/28/2014If you are in the mood for seafood, Max;s is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/25/2014Our server was great! The food was amazing! I especially enjoyed the oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful timedew80Dined on 3/22/2014The food was great and the service plus the scenery was excellent would love to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always meets our expectationsHcassDined on 3/22/2014We love Max's for delicious seafood and a terrific bar menu. The beer and wine selections are outstanding and the specials make it a great value tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my Husband and a smallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2014Took my Husband and a small group of friends for my husbands birthday, food was excellent , service was great. We really enjoyed ourselves and will be back.Special Features:
- Would not recommendelizabethDined on 3/21/2014The service was slow and the meal was not worth waiting for. I will not recommend this restaurant to friends and I will not return.
- Quiet NightDerrickDined on 3/18/2014This is a nice place for a quiet evening out. Food was ok but could have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great drinksthreedinersDined on 3/18/2014Three of us went out for restaurant week. We dined on seafood and pasta. Everything was delicious and the server was very friendly. We have dined here in the past and have never had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Sea FoodSteveVIPDined on 3/15/2014We had excellent mussels and calamari for appetizers. My tuna was well prepared and presented nicely. The food is what keeps us coming back.Special Features:
- Pleasantly PleasedSeefoodDined on 3/14/2014We recently moved from York PA area and have been looking for a quality dinning establishment. Max's tops the list. For an appetizer we ordered the Spicy Thai calamari and we will be ordering that again and again. For dinner the arrabiata was excellent, and the Cilantro grilled salmon & shrimp with toasted cous cous was amazing. The Wine list is more than adequate and offered an excellent Pinot Noir from Oregon that we thoroughly enjoyed. Service was fast, pleasant, and friendly. Also, on Friday night, the live entertainment was top notch for such a small venue. My wife and I will be returning often to sample the rest of the menu and wine list, and enjoy the live entertainment in the wonderful bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best and freshest seaCometVIPDined on 3/8/2014The best and freshest sea food anywhere. Always well-prepared. We have brought many friends to Max's and it never disappoints.Special Features:
- OutstandingDrRonVIPDined on 3/8/2014Great find. Beautiful venue, great evening out before the South Camden Theatre play. Food was delicious. Service was the best. Kristen was our server. She was fantastic. It was very busy and she was working a lot of tables, but she was attentive, effective, and pleasant the entire evening. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableRoxygal100VIPDined on 3/1/2014Went out to dinner with friends. All our meals were terrific - scallops, tuna, bluefish and a combination plate. All plates licked clean. Service was great. Cannoli for dessert was perfect. Great evening. Parking can be a little bit challenging. There is a lot but it was full but we did eventually find street parking.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic! andociamDined on 3/1/2014The food was fantastic! an outstanding dining experience. We have been there several times before and will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One word--ExcellentGaryGDined on 2/27/2014This was our second visit in three weeks. It was a Thursday night=Missed buck-a-shuck but we had appetizers for dinner.Mussels were great-as usual. Fried oyster app was small but delicious. Cape May Salts were small but out of this world. The only hitch was that dispite the fact that there were very few people in the restaurant our plates took a long time to arrive. Other than that -another great visit. We will definately go back on Mon, Tues or Wed when oysters a $1 each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EveningeapoeVIPDined on 2/22/2014Wonderful evening, wonderful food and Tom was excellent in helping with our wine selection...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014I had not been to max's since I was a kid..I am 49 years old now and I have to say this was the BEST dinner I have had in a long time. The mussells were to die for...Our server was friendly and attentive. We will be back and often!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be sure to be coming back.....HappyTimesDined on 2/22/2014The mussels along with the warm bread were outstanding. We all three enjoyed our entrees of Ahi Tuna, Shrim Scampi and Scallops. Shared a cream brulee and that was very satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Hot SpotTheHammerDined on 2/21/2014Love this place! Excellent food, quality service and great ambience. Cool Friday night spot with acoustic music that is not too loud setting a cool scene. A great local spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weak Souprestaurant7Dined on 2/15/2014Three of our party ordered the Lobster Bisque. It was a reddish-brown broth with no lobster in it at all! It tasted salty... I wonder what it was even now. The service was not great. no drink refills, no offer for more coffee, desserts were not described until asked for.Special Features:
- Very disappointed. The restaurantLucyluDined on 2/15/2014Very disappointed. The restaurant for being in a blue collar area surprised me with their very expensive food and drinks. Nothing comes with the entrée. Had to pay for a cup of lobster bisque which didn't taste anything like lobster bisque. My husband ordered fried seafood combo which came with one scallop, one shrimp and a piece of fish. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Food was great. It truly isOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Food was great. It truly is a "nieghborhood" gem, not pretentious at all, but also not downscale. We really enjoyed our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place to dine. WePamMikeDined on 2/14/2014Awesome place to dine. We love coming here. Food is always good and tasty, and the staff is wonderful. It has become our favorite restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Dinner at Max's!AmyGavinDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I had a terrific Valentines Day dinner at Max's in Gloucester. We ordered the Chateaubriand for two, the crab & avocado bruschetta and finished with the Key Lime Pie! The chateaubriand was perfect! Prepared with a side of asparagus and a crunchy potato wedge.... Delicious. The crab & avocado appetizer could not have been portioned any better and flavors were amazing together. Finally, the Key Lime... I haven't had better since we vacationed in Key West. Fabulous meal. Well done. The atmosphere was quiet and reminds you of a old city Philadelphia restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max'sBuckDined on 2/8/2014It was OK, but not great. Jambalaya was fantastic. So were the mixed veggies. Disappointed that you can't substitute a baked potato for french fries. Sauces (tartar and cocktail) had little flavor. Service was great. We came late and also asked to add two people to our reservation and they gladly obliged.Special Features:
- What a find!!!RanbigsurDined on 2/8/2014Had read and heard good things but all was great. Went for my wife's birthday appetizers were great, gumbo was awesome, and entree was phenominal. Service was perfect, John was there when I needed him and not there when I did not need him. He recommended a wine that was perfect for dinner and the price of wines was very very reasonable. would absolutely reccomend this for couples. We never felt rushed. It was a perfect night and prices were great. Thanks fro a memorable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aside from the fact that weGaryGDined on 2/8/2014Aside from the fact that we drove past Max's because it is truly in a house in a neighborhood area it was a wonderful meal. The mussels were excellent the fish taco and mixed seafood appitizers were enough to be a meal. I had the Jambilya- not great but not bad. Great beer and wine lists. Staff was attentive and the owner was around to insure everthing went off without a hitch. Now that we know where it is, we will definitely return.Special Features: