659 Merchant St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alfredssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4157817058
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Tuesday-Saturday: 5:30 - 9:00pm, Cocktails Starting at 5:00pm
LUNCH: Thursday Only 11:30 until 2:00pm.
HAPPY HOUR: Every Friday from 4-7PM
CLOSED SUNDAYS AND MONDAYS
available for private parties
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Continental, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Four rooms accommodating from 8 to 100 guests. Available for lunch or dinner, Tuesdays Through Saturdays
- Private Party Contact: Marco Petri 4157817058
A word from Alfred's Steakhouse
San Francisco's oldest steakhouse, specializing in corn-fed, dry-aged beef cooked over Mexican mesquite charcoal. Over 85 years of serving locals and visitors alike, with an extensive whiskey wall, monumental martinis, in an elegant atmosphere of red leather and crystal chandeliers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alfred's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (52)romantic (36)good for groups (21)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (10)great for lunch (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Restaurant has a policy ofCMH7VIPDined on 4/9/2008Restaurant has a policy of charging 17% AUTOMATICALLY to any size table check. In this case it was for 2, and when we asked about this, the waiter said the 17% was for the restaurant and not the waiter, and was clear we were expected to leave a tip on top of the "surcharge" of 17%! This is a colossal rip off, and quite frankly, left a very bad impression. I have never heard of such a "surcharge" and have dined in nice restaurants across the country. The waiter had an attitude on top of it all, and rushed us, even though there were only 3 customers in the entire restaurant.The steaks were good but not extraordinary. It is sneaky the way they place a small hard to read card on the table disclaiming the surcharge.Beware!
- I hear its great for the margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/9/2008I hear its great for the margaritas - but we went for the steak and were disappointed.
- Overall service was good -OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2008Overall service was good - however we had to wait forever for our check. The waiter didn't even casually stroll by so we could catch his eye for a good fifteen to twenty minutes. The steaks were excellent pieces of meat, however they were somewhat overcooked to our requests. (We did get a free dessert because of this)
- Alfred's is a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/3/2008Alfred's is a great place for lunch when you want good drinks and a steak. Unfortunately, they are only open for lunch on Thursdays but that makes going there special.Special Features:
- Decent enough steak, withOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/2/2008Decent enough steak, with the School Night Special of a soup/salad, steak, dessert for $39 being a good deal. Service wsa pretty distant and a bit inattentive, even when the restaurant wasn't that busy.
- I like the ambience and theirOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2008I like the ambience and their service. But the stake is not so good. stakes are too big and not so tasty. I hope it more subtle.Special Features:
- Standard, good quality steaks,MarkPDined on 4/1/2008Standard, good quality steaks, though nothing really stood out to me to make me feel I must return.
- Great atmosphere and evenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2008Great atmosphere and even better food. The steak was good and the calamari was some of the best i have ever had.Special Features:
- It was my husbands birthdayEatpraywaitDined on 3/22/2008It was my husbands birthday and he wanted to come back to Alfreds. He had been going there over 10 years. The service was not up to par. Our waiter forgot my wine and had to remind him. He knew nothing about wines which is disappointing being in the wine business myself. He also completely forgot to get my husband coffee and at didtn remember. Then before desert he had someone come over and bring 2 plates take them away and bring back again only to give to the people behind us. He wasnt there. On top of that they have a placard and long explanation about tips on the table and automatically add a 17% gratuity. I have already told friends about our experience which is too bad as we had some good memories there. ElayneSpecial Features:
- Great food & friendly serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/20/2008Great food & friendly service what else can you ask for.Special Features:
- The compulsory 17% added toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2008The compulsory 17% added to your check creates an awkward situation with your waiter who you may feel obligated to tip, making your dinner a third more expensive than the already pricey menu.
- Very San Francisco--- firsthoteljeffDined on 3/12/2008Very San Francisco--- first time we had been there after the move. How many years ago? We wanted a Good Steak and beside it was Alfed's Day. We will go again!!!Special Features:
- A classic steak house. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/11/2008A classic steak house. Very old school. And thankfully minus the ridiculous price creep of the premium chains (Ruth's Chris, Morton's, etc.). Definitely worth the trip.
- THe service was great andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/10/2008THe service was great and the staff accomodated our special requests. I would recommend this place to friends and family.Special Features:
- Everything was terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2008Everything was terrific! I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great old school steak house.ekc415Dined on 1/25/2008Great old school steak house. It's all about the meat--and it is cooked perfectly. Great wine list in all price ranges. Great drinks and impeccable service.Special Features:
- Pretty good meal. Well establishedDeeFoodieDined on 12/1/2007Pretty good meal. Well established San Francisco restaurant with nice atmosphere.
- Due to their "tipping" policy,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/28/2007Due to their "tipping" policy, the owner has lost all of his good waiters. Food has always been excellent, but service can be terrible on weekends when busy or anytime because of "poor management." Difficult to find their validated parking garage. If they don't shape up, they will soon go broke in this economy. C. Campbell Fox, M.D.Special Features:
- One of the worst steakhousesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/17/2007One of the worst steakhouses I've been to in the city. Steak was overcooked on the sides because they wanted to crust the edges, and overall, the quality seemed to be below par compared to similar priced steakhouses in the city. Sides are mediocre, service was ok, nothing special. Basically, don't come here and go for Bobo's, House of Prime Rib, Acme, Morton's, or even Ruths Chris.Special Features:
- Excellent food, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/10/2007Excellent food, excellent service, great private rooms for larger gatherings.Special Features:
- Will never return to Alfred'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/28/2006Alfred's has been one of my wife's and mine favorites for years. NOT ANYMORE!! We had dinner on 12/23 with reservations and were the second party in the resturant. We were seated and given our menus we then noticed that Alfred's places a 17% taxable surcharge on all purchases. We were served our salads and before my wife was halfway through her's the entre arrived. When if was served the second timne it was over cooked and my rack of lamb was cold. The service was terrible. We only spoke to our water when we placed our order and when the check arrived. We brought our own wine which he graciously corked and poured for us. After that we had to pour for ourselves including water. We will never return to Alfred's
- I loved the "old world" ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/29/2006I loved the "old world" ambience of this place. And great steaks! The waiters and bartender are like characters out of central casting! It's like the old style "fancy restaurants" that I recall going to for very special occasions when I was younger.Special Features:
- Excellent service and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/18/2006Excellent service and great food. Well worth the cost.Special Features:
- Cockroach"s running acrossOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/7/2005Cockroach"s running across my table,staff make believing they dont see them. The place is a has been