659 Merchant St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alfredssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4157817058
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Tuesday-Saturday: 5:30 - 9:00pm, Cocktails Starting at 5:00pm
LUNCH: Thursday Only 11:30 until 2:00pm.
HAPPY HOUR: Every Friday from 4-7PM
CLOSED SUNDAYS AND MONDAYS
available for private parties
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Continental, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Four rooms accommodating from 8 to 100 guests. Available for lunch or dinner, Tuesdays Through Saturdays
- Private Party Contact: Marco Petri 4157817058
A word from Alfred's Steakhouse
San Francisco's oldest steakhouse, specializing in corn-fed, dry-aged beef cooked over Mexican mesquite charcoal. Over 85 years of serving locals and visitors alike, with an extensive whiskey wall, monumental martinis, in an elegant atmosphere of red leather and crystal chandeliers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alfred's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (54)romantic (37)good for groups (22)notable wine list (19)neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (12)great for lunch (7)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/1/2014I wanted to like it, didn't happen. Overdressed salads and mediocre steaks. Service was good. Beautiful interior. I really hoped for more. Very disappointed.
- Everything was quite good,DRS24Dined on 2/28/2014Everything was quite good, as always. But their practice of adding an automatice 17 % tip onto the bill, regardless fo the size of the party or quality of service, is annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceSleepdocDined on 2/27/2014Great food, great service and very the prices are reasonable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old San FranciscoLesliedDined on 2/27/2014Excellent lunch. They only serve lunch on Thursdays. Calamari fritti was excellent. Too bad they don't have a Caesar salad on the menu.Special Features:
- Great Place!KellyVIPDined on 2/22/2014This is my standard place to go to for; a) an affordable, b) classic, and c) delicious night out. The wait staff has always been great, and it is a real treasure, from birthdays to my own bachelor party, it's always been a hit. If you find the opportunity, go and enjoy it.Special Features:
- Great Old-School SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/20/2014Really enjoy Alfred's. From the prime, dry-aged steaks to the martini's to the classic service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't bother.KbNamanDined on 2/20/2014Service was awful, & my husband had to get up & ask the maitre'd for fresh ground pepper. Had to ask for more butter, water & bread. Salads & entrees were mediocre. When we ordered dessert, they didn't acknowledge our anniversary. Also didn't ask if we wanted coffee. They charge a 17% automatic service fee for the privilege of letting us sit on their booths and use their plates & eating utensils. They do give the staff 40-50% of the 17%; how generous of them. Service wasn't worth 17%, so we left only 10% which posed a problem for the snotty maitre'd who informed my husband that they would change the amount on the bill that he had already signed and submit it to our credit card company for payment. Charge will be contested on principle.
- Even the very good can stumbleRobertDined on 2/20/2014This is the very first time I came away from Alfred's "disappointed," and only because my expectations have been set so high based on the last several visits. I think some of it had to do with our waiter, who seemed new and slightly confused. The steaks were a bit overcooked--medium rare was more like medium, and that is not acceptable, especially in a steak house. I ordered my favorite, the ribeye steak with creamed spinach, and what was served looked like a New York steak instead. It was good, but not what I ordered or expected. My guests were happy with their meals. We will definitely return, but this trip did not live up to my expectations.Special Features:
- Fantastic SteakssparkyDined on 2/15/2014Alfred's steaks are out of this world !!! We went for my SO Birthday & Valentines day, what a wonderful time . All the waiters are true professional waiters , not somebody waiting for some other job to open up. We took 2 guest and they were overwhelm with the quality of the food. We all had the 49er specials, the ladies had filets 10 oz , the other gentleman had rib eye and I had Alfred's special bone New York , my God ever steak was FANTASTIC. We had a great California zinfandel , sorry don' t remember the name. We are planning to come back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hopefully an Isolated Bad NightOkR8rVIPDined on 2/15/2014We've been coming to Alfred's for more than 10 years. It's a hidden gem of a steakhouse that, usually, easily competes with Ruth's Chris or Morton's or Harris' Steakhouse. This particular evening the service was sub-par. It was an early dinner and the restaurant was not very busy, yet our wait staff hurried to our table, dropped off the food and, before we could ask for another glass of wine or more crumbled blue cheese, they rushed off. Additionally, before my wife could explain that she preferred her lobster to be taken out of the shell (too messy), he just gave her a shell cracker and quickly turned away to go to another table. We'll try 1 more time. Food = A / Service = FSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burnt steakFanofFoodVIPDined on 2/15/2014I was truly disappointed in the food. The salad was limp and over dressed. The bone-in New York was medium rare as ordered, but had a burnt crust so each bite of meat was was flavored with an awful charcoal taste. The grilled asparagus had an overwhelming smoked flavor. The service was prompt and efficient and the atmosphere is quiet and classic San Francisco. I won't be going back because at their price point there are much better choices within walking distance.
- Excellent restaurant , foodJAWSDined on 2/14/2014Excellent restaurant , food is impeccable , service is spot on , very friendly . Second visit here and will return again . Easily one of the best Steakhouses I've ever been too .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DaysseabergDined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentine's Day and it was a a zoo. The food was tasty, if very traditional. We showed up on time and had to wait half an hour as "tables before us were lingering." This left a bad taste in my mouth and hinted that they had overbooked the tables for maximum profit and a reduced experience. The staff were friendly but harried and clearly had too many tables to do a good job. It was hard to get a refill of wine or anything else for that matter (e.g., the wine to go with our dinner came well after we were finished with most of the food). The courses came in such quick succession that I had to ask for slower pacing. It was clear that they were trying to "process" customers as quickly as possible. Probably best to avoid on holidays!
- If you like throwing away moneyNEVERAGAINDined on 2/14/2014this is made for you. After booking nearly two months in advance for a Valentine dinner, we were seated in a middle row that was highly trafficked. We ordered wine and the waiter returned and said they were "out" of the item. The appetizer crab cocktail was not fresh. The cesar salad was soggy and it looked like it had been teft over from the day before - not even edible. The main entree plate was literally tossed onto the table as the server rushed away wiithout a word. We were never asked how the food was, if we needed any steak sauce or whether we would like another drink. After waiting a few minutes I literally had to get up and get my own sauce! This was the worst food and service I have experienced ever and will definatly not return.
- Just as I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/14/2014Great experience, I read the reviews and was ready for some things (gratuity already included). Our server was excellent and the food was very good. I'm happy with the dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gangsters eat hereJBeezyDined on 2/12/2014Great Scotch list. Everything is quiet , red, smoky, woodsy, and Pauly Walnuts. It's a typical old steakhouse but I like it. The ribeye was so-so this time. Better to stick with a filet or strip. This place is a classic though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shamebambamDined on 2/11/2014When you have wonderfully aged meat it is a shame that it can't be cooked to order. When your dropping $400+ on a meal you expect at least that. Our orders were rare,medium rare and two medium. Every order came out medium to well or well done. The service was great the wine was wonderful. It was too dark to see your food, not something I'm a fan of. Be aware that they automatically put a 17% tip on all bills apparently.
- SF TripRayain11Dined on 2/8/2014Alfred's was a perfect place to take my lady for a romantic evening and the dining experience was remarkable.Special Features:
- Great place, great food. JustJosianeHVIPDined on 2/8/2014Great place, great food. Just disappointed that no one acknowledged my husband's birthday.
- Join the Club!RobertDined on 2/6/2014If you have a lunch planned for a Thursday, join the Buckaroo Luncheon Club and be prepared to become part of a group of regulars who make Alfred's a friendly hangout. Every client I've introduced to the Club has enjoyed the experience and shared their enthusiasm with others. It;s a remarkable marketing strategy that works at every level--loyal diners singing the praises of the restaurant creating a club-like feeling which reels more like-minded folks into the restaurant's orbit. I can't comment on anything but the ribeye steak and creamed spinach, which is my go-to meal at Alfred's. It is alwys perfectly cooked to my specifications. The house wines, for which Club members receive a chit for a free glass, is perfectly adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very memorable evening...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/1/2014Enhance the incrsdible dining experience by asking to sit at one of Fructoso's tables!!Special Features:
- hm....ThorDined on 2/1/2014Undercooked and overcooked steaks. Service: did not talk much, no recommendations. Much too expensive for provided service and food Quality. Cheesecake was tasty.Special Features:
- Old FavoriteJandelDined on 2/1/2014We have been going to Alfred's for special occaisions for years. Good steak options, especially on the size. Lots of appetizers to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome AlleytrouperDined on 1/29/2014I have been enjoying dinner at Alfred's when in San Francisco for years. A perfect combination of service, food, and beverages in a quiet and friendly atmosphere. The steaks are great as are the sides. Never had a bad bottle of wine there either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Man Cave" but good old time SF faveatoutVIPDined on 1/28/2014My only objection is the old time smell of the place when you first walk in. Just a warning. Don't let that put you off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a little reunion with5bergsDined on 1/24/2014Had a little reunion with some old friends while celebrating our 24th. Had an amazing time, our waiter was the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic with modern twistBradDined on 1/23/2014Alfred's is a icon of a San Francisco steakhouse, yet the approach to freshness and quality in the beef it uses and their handcrafted cocktails makes it a place any modern day foodie would love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great "old school" steak houseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/21/2014Enjoyable meal with four colleagues and we enjoyed great food and personable service by our waiter JohnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcusesheavydutyDined on 1/18/2014From the time we entered all we heard was how busy they were. They either overbooked or are understaffed. Regardless the last thing I want to hear from a server is how busy he/she is. It is the nature of the job
- The Best Steakhouse EVER!ItalianRagazzaVIPDined on 1/18/2014I love the elegance of this restaurant! The food, service and ambiance are utterly outstanding. Once again, I couldn't resist the filet mignon and once again, it was cooked to perfection! My after-dinner drink was the Grasshopper and it did not disappoint!!! Another wonderful dining experience at Alfred's!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven, pricey, but classic, old SFOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/17/2014Food was just okay, not memorable....Creamed spinach & entrees were underseasoned, & they did not have our 1st wine choice. Sample of 5 sauces to accompany the entrees was not well-balanced....Iceberg salad & dessert were the highlights.....Service was just adequate.....Tip of 17.5% is figured in the bill, so the servers' incentive to work the table may not be that compelling....Old San Francisco ambiance...Tall booths made for easy conversation...Lovely drinks at the bar. Although I wanted to love the place, given the lackluster food & underwhelming service for the rather pricey meal, I would not return again for dinner....However, it would be nice to start a evening with a drink at the bar, & then move somewhere else for the actual meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbMarMar98Dined on 1/17/2014Alfred's steak house is a gorgeous restaurant in an area you would never think to find such a fancy restaurant in. The food was great, the pricing good, and the dim lighting made everything so much more magical. I especially love its location because it is a nice distance from bart ( a helpful walk after eating a whole pound of steak!! ), and is hidden on a little off street, so when you eat there, you feel like you know a secret that very few know about. Overall, I will definitely be coming back and will recommend many friends to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Local Steak HouseJTNJDined on 1/14/2014Nice local steak house where the food was good, service was very good and the price was a lot less than the national brand steak houses. Overall great value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back after 40 yearscruzerDined on 1/11/2014My wife and I ate at Alfred's over 40 years ago on our first anniversay. If was outstanding then. Thought they had gone out of business after not seeing them at the old location on Broadway. While searching for restaurants in the City this past weekend I came across Alfred's. The new location is next to the Hilton down a little street (alley) and is very unique. Once inside the restaurant you know that it is the old Alfred's with the seating and decorations. Our meal was excellent, the service outstanding and the drinks were great and resonably priced. If you are looking for a great steak with service and ambiance to match, you can't go wrong with Alfred's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our choice for special occasionsJimEVIPDined on 1/4/2014Great atmosphere, very traditional with dark wood, red tufted booths, and white table cloths. Very professional service. Great bar, and wine list. The starters were delicious. The steaks were fantastic. Came for our son's 21st birthday. Alfred's will be our default place for very special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedcaryDined on 1/3/2014The lobster was excellent, fresh and cooked perfectly. The fillet was cooked perfectly per the medium request but the steak flavor was like a pre-frozen piece of a very expensive cut of meat. The result was also much tougher than expected.Special Features:
- NYE Dinnervdel79Dined on 12/31/2013I chose this place for our New Years Eve dinner, I had read many reviews, and was a bit skeptical. However, I chose it because it seemed as though we would have GREAT steak. We enjoyed our dinner, but the service was not very good. We enjoyed a 5 course meal, served by a rude unfriendly waiter, the bus staff was very nice. It seems as this this a steak house that many locals go to, and if you are a regular/local, you get extra attention. Good steak, overall...meh, not sure if I would return. I should mention we had an early dinner, 6pm, and would have expected better service at that time of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choose a different steakhouse in SFJasonVIPDined on 12/28/201312/28/13 Came for my anniversary dinner. 4 out of 5 steaks in our party were under or over cooked. The undercooked steaks were sent back a couple of times and my friend with the over cooked steak didn't bother. In spite of all the issues with what was supposed to be a special dinner gathering, there was no apology or visit by a manager. Chef, maitre de, etc. in fact since the obvious issues were never acknowledged I mentioned something at the end of the meal to the waiter who took a small discount off the bill. Not what I would expect from what was supposed to be a top steakhouse in SF. To add insult to injury they never even mentioned the special occasion I had specified in writing when making the opentable reservation. Never again!
- Steak!iligDined on 12/24/2013We have dined in twice. First time was better than second. Both times: Same Host was a very rude man. We told him we had a reservation and he gave us horrible attitude. Once we sat down; service, drinks and food were great. Just not the best first impression to a new place where u are planning on spending some $. 2nd time was for X-mas eve. Very busy, service was just ok. Took them a long time to bring us everything, even had to ask twice for water when we got seated. Food was still great. Service was understandable on that night to some extent because of the busy night. The host however, not sure what his problem was. Maybe because we are a couple in our mid 20's and don't look important($)?? Whatever. Not sure if we'll return.Special Features:
- We were disappointed.MatadorDined on 12/24/2013Had been many times in the past and always liked Alfred's. This time the food was ordinary. Biggest criticism is asking making us pay 17% tip for all the staff. We gave more for the waiter. The tip came to over 30%.