659 Merchant St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alfredssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4157817058
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Tuesday-Saturday: 5:30 - 9:00pm, Cocktails Starting at 5:00pm
LUNCH: Thursday Only 11:30 until 2:00pm.
HAPPY HOUR: Every Friday from 4-7PM
CLOSED SUNDAYS AND MONDAYS
available for private parties
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Continental, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Four rooms accommodating from 8 to 100 guests. Available for lunch or dinner, Tuesdays Through Saturdays
- Private Party Contact: Marco Petri 4157817058
A word from Alfred's Steakhouse
San Francisco's oldest steakhouse, specializing in corn-fed, dry-aged beef cooked over Mexican mesquite charcoal. Over 85 years of serving locals and visitors alike, with an extensive whiskey wall, monumental martinis, in an elegant atmosphere of red leather and crystal chandeliers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alfred's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)romantic (37)good for groups (22)notable wine list (21)neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (7)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Dined at Alfred'sBluefoxDined on 6/14/2014We had a nice time at Alfred's celebrating my parents birthdays. The food was ok. Salads were a little disappointing as we're the mashed potatoes. The sauces which cost extra were a bit watered down. Also we ordered manhattans which were watery. Was just ok. The booth was roomy and good for our group as we could hear one another.Special Features:
- Horrible service w/ just ok foodkcplumDined on 6/14/2014This is the 3/4th time we've been to Alfred's and it was extremely extremely extremely disappointing! 10 of us went for Father's Day dinner and we were all hugely disappointed with our overall experience. Our waiter was completely and utterly horrible and it was clear he didnt want to be there. Not only was he in a rush the whole time, he spoke to us with huge attitude and never once smiled. When the good came out, meals were placed in front of the wrong person, the majority of the steaks were over cooked and had to be sent back. His reasoning was "there r over 100 steaks placed out there and it's confusing"! Wtf!!! Why would u say that to customers?!?! The salmon was horrendous and the salad tasted like chemicals! Not coming back!
- read menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014Steaks are excellent however are not seasoned unless requested. I found that I needed salt, however menu states that and I overlooked it. Would have been nice if waiter emphasized it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic steakhouse well donestewartDined on 6/4/2014Alfred's is a family tradition for special occasions and I took my grand-nephew there for his high school graduation. They are still a good steakhouse despite some cost-cutting over the years (regular sourdough rather than hot bread, pats of butter rather than sticks, somewhat smaller appetizer portions). Steaks were cooked correctly, creamed spinach was made from fresh, and my nephew loved his add-on lobster (a relative bargain when added to a steak). We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Food, AmbianceDinesWithFriendsDined on 6/3/2014i've been coming here for several years now. it's not a trendy place, so if that's what you need to make your evening, go elsewhere. if you want great food and even better service in an atmosphere where you can have a conversation without shouting, come to Alfred's. fun bar with a great whiskey selection too. i'm a martini guy myself, and they do a GREAT job on that front.Special Features:
- Superb place!KrajlDined on 5/30/2014Excellent serving staff. They are polite, friendly and anticipate one's needs. Particularly was impressed with the French man whoe served us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Night at Alfred'sKaHealyDined on 5/27/2014Outstanding across the board. Attentive service, tremendous food, great old-school atmosphere. A place I've been going to for over 30 years, and it's as good as ever. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SERVICEGREATDined on 5/24/2014The service was amazing, and the food was very good too. We celebrated my son college graduation there and they made us feel very special, we also had my 8 year grandson with us and they were very good to him too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value though not inexpensiveGator1999Dined on 5/23/2014Great steaks in particular, excellent wine list, though the beer list was lacking. Excellent bar area, felt more upscale that what we paid....not cheap but well worth $125 for a dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old San Francisco experienceBethVIPDined on 5/23/2014Great food from the old san francico experience, incredible customer service and excellent quality food!9Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buckaroo Time!NicksterVIPDined on 5/22/2014Alfred's Steak House is a San Francisco Classic and I have been going to their Buckaroo Lunch for about 30 years. Join the Buckaroo club and get a free drink. Thursday Lunch only. I had the Gaucho tips for the first time last Thursday and they were yummy.Special Features:
- The following 1169 reviews are from the Alfred's Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Second Time HerecarltonbDined on 5/16/2014Good food, pleasant staff, great service. As visitors to SF this feels like a little piece of home to us, when we come.Special Features:
- Another great lunchRobertDined on 5/15/2014I am a "regular" of the Buckaroo Luncheon Club and bring clients to lunch on Thursdays frequently. Each client raves about the gracious greeting at the front desk, the attentive service and the great food and leaves with a Buckaroo badge for him or herself. Marco and Claire make the dining experience first rate and really do create the atmosphere of a private club, even though the badge thing is just a clever loyalty program. My clients invariably come back on their own and bring their friends. My favorite dish is a rare cooked ribeye steak paired with creamed spinach and a glass of house cab (compliments of the house with your badge). a word of caution--tips are automatically added to the tab.Special Features:
- Very DisappointedYachtsmenDined on 5/10/2014I was Very Very Disappointed with my Ribeye steak. The steak was very tough and had no flavor. Sheldon Scott
- Another Outstanding Dinner!ItalianRagazzaVIPDined on 5/10/2014Alfred's Steakhouse is absolutely the BEST RESTAURANT!! They open at 5:00 for cocktails and we all met in the bar and enjoyed one of their many famous cocktails (I had a Manhattan and my sister ordered the Lemon Drop). We were seated promptly at 5:30 and enjoyed another outstanding meal! I asked the restaurant a day in advance if it would be possible to order the Italian Fried Ice Cream for dessert, and they gladly complied with our requests! Truly a San Francisco Gem!!!Special Features:
- Classic steakhouse, great cocktailsJimEVIPDined on 5/9/2014Whether for a cocktail after work or for a special-occasion dinner, Alfred's is always special. The service is friendly and impeccable. The food is great. The cocktails are delicious...and big.Special Features:
- alfredsjbrownDined on 5/2/2014Alfreds had very good service, but I found the lighting to be a bit too dim. I felt as if I was eating in the dark. The butter was cold and would not spread on the bread. I had to ask for the waiter to heat up the butter.Special Features:
- A classicOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/1/2014This is classic San Francisco dining. The food is top quality ingredients, simply prepared and delicious. The noise level is such that you can hear the people you are with without straining. Booths, carpets, tablecloths all contribute to an intimate dining experience. The wait staff is friendly and warm and professional: I felt welcome without feeling I should invite them to join my party. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Near perfectionRobertDined on 5/1/2014I took a group of out-of-towners to the Buckaroo Luncheon Club. They were made to feel welcome, enjoyed their meals and were honored to receive their badges as we left. It really was a great way to introduce guests to the "Old San Francisco Experience." Marco and Claire start things off right with their friendly greetings upon arrival and end with their unfailingly warm farewells upon departure. The food is great steak, the wait staff is attentive and friendly, and the house reds are worthy of the establishment. A really good experience.Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014We met our cousin there for dinner along with my sister and brother in law. We had a fantastic dinner and wonderful sundaes, to celebrate our get together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great "Prohibition Era" FeelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014I loved the atmosphere of Alfred's. The staff were informative, professional, and attentive. Overall an amazing experience. Prices were pretty high, but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buckaroo Luncheon Club--FunRobertDined on 4/24/2014I can't speak for any meal other than Thursday lunch at Alfred's--the Buckaroo Luncheon Club--a very well done loyalty program which really does feel like a private club. Marco will greet you on your arrival by name and make you feel welcome. Come on Thursday, get a Club pin, wear it the next time you lunch there and receive a free chit for a well drink. This venue exudes old SF style, the staff is amazingly friendly in a "genteel" way and the food is delicious. This is one of the few places I order steak out because it is always perfectly cooked and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic favorite!BeaumanDined on 4/19/2014I have been here a couple times and will continue to go as long as I live in the city. The ambiance is fantastic and it is only beat by the service. Food is amazing as well for those who enjoy a good cut of meat.Special Features:
- Good experience for evening starterRickDined on 4/12/2014Went for the dinner portion of a bachelor party evening. The host was very accommodating, working with our changing reservation size. He called me back several times at my request. The table was waiting and where promised when we arrived. The service was excellent, and the food very good. We mostly ordered the pre-fixe "49er Special", although that turns out to be roughly the same price as buying each item a la cart. They leave bottles of water on the table, and came around often enough to make us feel well served. I was very pleased with the experience and would go back there again.Special Features:
- Might Go Again….ScottBDined on 4/10/2014I have been to my fair share of steak houses and Alfred's only stands out for their happy hour offering. While waiting for a table to head to the bar for a few drinks. We place our order and about 10 minutes later a plate of sliders comes out. Wouldn't you know it, they come free with the drinks. Tasty and unexpected. The meal itself was average for a steak house as nothing really stood out or was worth coming back for.Special Features:
- to expensive and steak was blackEricReuversDined on 4/5/2014I had steak and i found itt black at some points. The price for the diner was far to high for this quality. The steak came with 1 potatoo You can do better in San Fran for less money en better service.Special Features:
- Let me start with the food,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/5/2014Let me start with the food, in a word, fantastic. My love had the ribeye, was perfectly cooked. The sauce we had was approximately a million degrees too hot, but so delicious. I ordered the chicken fried steak which is only at lunch now, but they made one special for me. It was THE BEST chicken fried steak I've had in MY LIFE. (and I've had a lot being a Hoosier and all)....heaven. The service left something to be desired. Our waiter was stressed out to the max. No pleasantries, he stormed up to the table and demanded our order. Didn't check back about drinks, I had to go to the host stand to order a second round. I expected better service, but the food more than made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday LunchBettyBoopDined on 4/3/2014Alfreds only does lunch once a week on Thursday and I love going to lunch there. Service was great and the host, Marco, is very kind and courteous and goes out of his way to see that everyone is taken care of. Food is great and more than enough. Prices for a steakhouse are very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great old SF restaurant but...PhilSFDined on 3/29/2014I have frequented this restaurant for many years and have found that the food is consistently very good. After two and a quarter hours we were asked to leave so that another party could have our table. As I glanced around, I could see tables were set up for larger groups (6 to 8 guests not-occupied) and there were other tables for four available. (I speculate that someone wanted our booth.) We were told that we could continue our conversation at the bar, (no offer for a complementary drink or coffee in exchange for the booth but we got the boot out the door.) In addition, the meal service was poor. For example we were 25% into eating our salad course before the waiter came with the fresh ground pepper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem that's lost its charmhanifelDined on 3/28/2014I've been to Alfred's on a couple of occasions and have enjoyed it. This was my first time back in several years and I'm sad to say it wasn't a great experience. I chose Alfred's to celebrate my birthday. Once we were seated we waited a long time before we got water, bread, or attention from our waiter. Our waiter's energy was frenetic and it didn't seem like he knew very much about the menu or the wine list. My friend ordered filet cooked medium, when it arrived it was raw in the middle. Grudgingly he sent it back and of course when it was returned it was well done. Unfortunately I won't go back to Alfred's and I won't be recommending it to anyone.
- Cheating servicepersonal?LeifljDined on 3/26/2014The food was great except the onionsoup which was too sweet. Service excellent. Alfred add A servicecharge, 17 % on the bill. Only 45-50% of this servicecharge benefit servicepersonal. This is a reason for me not return to Alfreds again.
- Lots of hype - lack of qualityDisappointedDinerDined on 3/21/2014On my last trip to San Fran I made a reservation at Alfreds. I went on the reviews, the history of the restaurant, and AAA guide. The ambiance was classic steakhouse and front staff was friendly. But that's where the positive ended. Our waiter never introduced himself nor did he identify himself. To this day I'm still not sure who our waiter actually was. My mom ordered the french onion soup - it was 1/4 broth and the rest bread. She ate maybe 5 spoonfuls. My dad and I had salads which were good. But, the steak was the problem. The bone in New York was all fat and bone and what meat was served had no flavor. My mom and I had the filet. When served, it actually resembled charcoal and had no flavor. What a disappointment.
- Thursday LunchPaulDined on 3/20/2014My friends and I have been customers for many years and always enjoyed the house special of chicken-fried steak at lunch. Today it was horrible - over cooked and tasteless. Mashed potatoes were lumpy but the gravy was good.
- Buckaroo!RobertDined on 3/20/2014No doubt about it, Thursday lunches at Alfred's are a not-to-be-missed opportunity to re-live the grand old days of the two martini lunch. The good vibes starts at the front desk, where Marco greets diners by name and makes them feel welcome. The food is very good, the atmosphere very old SF in tone and style, and the experience just enough out of the ordinary to be memorable. Make sure to get your Buckaroo badge, which gets you a drink chit for your next visit. A loyalty program that feels good and makes diners feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old school steakhouseElleDined on 3/15/2014The steaks were fine. I was disappointed that the avocado on my salad had some serious dark spots (not edible) but still made it to our table. It wasn't the wow experience that we had the first time we ate there a year ago. Good but not great.
- A night to rememberCabrillialoDined on 3/8/2014The night was great..drinks and than a dinner at one of the most beautiful restaurants I have been to. Wonderful definitely need to make reservations for that next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has been my second timekathDined on 3/7/2014It has been my second time at Alfred's and I really love this place. The steaks are amazing and the price is great too! I can only recommend it, the service is also very good and staff is very friendly as well. I will certainly come back and I am already looking forward to it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service the bestjamesDined on 3/4/2014Good food, service the best and it was quiet, intimate conversation possible.Special Features:
- Highly Recommended!GmanDined on 3/1/2014We have been to Alfred's several times, and it continues to be consistently wonderful. The service is outstanding and the food incredible. They do a great job, treat you well, and strive to make the entire experience the best. Great bar also serving up outstanding martini's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/1/2014I wanted to like it, didn't happen. Overdressed salads and mediocre steaks. Service was good. Beautiful interior. I really hoped for more. Very disappointed.