659 Merchant St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alfredssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4157817058
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Tuesday-Saturday: 5:30 - 9:00pm, Cocktails Starting at 5:00pm
LUNCH: Thursday Only 11:30 until 2:00pm.
HAPPY HOUR: Every Friday from 4-7PM
CLOSED SUNDAYS AND MONDAYS
available for private parties
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Continental, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Four rooms accommodating from 8 to 100 guests. Available for lunch or dinner, Tuesdays Through Saturdays
- Private Party Contact: Marco Petri 4157817058
A word from Alfred's Steakhouse
San Francisco's oldest steakhouse, specializing in corn-fed, dry-aged beef cooked over Mexican mesquite charcoal. Over 85 years of serving locals and visitors alike, with an extensive whiskey wall, monumental martinis, in an elegant atmosphere of red leather and crystal chandeliers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alfred's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (59)romantic (45)good for groups (29)notable wine list (21)neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (15)great for lunch (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- San Francisco ClassicInExileVIPDined on 8/7/2014Alfred's has been a San Francisco staple since the 1920s. While Caesar salads are no longer prepared table-side the food is still very good, the surroundings old-school and the service attentive without being intrusive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OustandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014We come to this restaurant about three times a year. Very good steaks!Special Features:
- First class servicePumpkinDined on 7/25/2014It was a great experience to dinner at alfreds steakhouse. The service was outstanding friendly. We just had a great time. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/25/2014Alfred's has a long history in San Francisco, as does the building where it currently resides. Marco & Mark helped my parents journey into their past as they celebrated their 44th Anniversary back in their hometown. Great food, excellent service and great historical perspective made our celebration special and memorable. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding T-bone steakSmadsenDined on 7/24/2014Found the place after search for steakhouse in San Francisco, but it was not easy to find in the city, since it is located in a small street, but we felt very lucky after our dinner, that we took the time to search for it. The greeting from the host was heartly and we felt welcome (3 adults), and had a good small talk with the host. The staff was friendly as well, and the menu was very easy to read, not to many dishes, so it did not take us long, to find what we wanted. Very nice winelist as well. Price is very fair, and the food was outstanding, we had T-bone and filet mignon, so all in all a fantastic experience, and we will come back again.Special Features:
- DisappointingCourtSFVIPDined on 7/19/2014I read all the reviews before booking. So I knew we would either have a great meal or a bad one. Our French server was charming and we loved the ambiance. We ordered cocktails to start, they were huge and my husbands Manhattan was practically just alcohol and not that enjoyable to him. My dirty grey goose martini was far from dirty and just had a sweet taste to it. We knew then it wasn't going to end well. I started with heirloom tomatoes and hubs had the French onion soup, both were good. They were out of the steak he wanted so he had to get the larger size one. The worst part was they over cooked his steak and it was not seasoned at all. We've never been to a steak house where the steaks weren't seasoned. The mashed potatos were good.
- San Francisco ClassicSFNativeDined on 7/18/2014Right up there with the House of Prime Rib for special night out with friends family or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst steak in SF.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014My son and I had the porterhouse and filet. Both came burnt - was told that it was mesquite flavoring. It was burnt. No apologies, nothing. Worst steak in SF.
- A wonderful dining experienceluv2cookDined on 7/17/2014From the gracious greeting from Marco, the owner, to the excellent food and service from the staff, I could not have had a more pleasurable experience or meal. The steak was cooked to perfection and I don't think I have ever had better creamed spinach. The coffee is rich and flavorful without being bitter and the raspberry sorbet was the perfect ending to the meal. It was light but full of the taste of raspberries and so creamy. Alfred's truly lives up to the old style San Francisco fine dining experience, yet there were enough young business-types to know that the establishment has crossed generations. The wine menu is extensive with many excellent choices availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greart FindJNWdinningDined on 7/15/2014We needed a place with good service, quiet, where we could have a good dinner and llengthy buiness conversation. It was excellent. The bar was nice, our table came quickly, the waiters were helpful, timely, gave us the space we needed , food -- steaks were excellent. ZIt was so good we came back the next night qwith different business clients. While we love Kokkari's it is so noisy you cannot actualy have a conversation.. so this was perfect.. will be back. Corkage was a little expensive $20/ bottle, but hen we brought some awesome wines... well worth it. Only negative was no valet parking, although parking is available acroerss the street at the underground Hilton garage, and they validate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceRosiepopDined on 7/12/2014Ambience at Alred's is retro San Francisco, deep red walls , big chandeliers, booths and tables. In it's dimly lit dining area you can imagine back in the day, people pulling out huge after dinner cigars with their martini's in hand. Great place! I love it! Their steaks are the best I have every had. We had the 49 er dinner special that included soup or salad ,any side dish off the menu and choice of any steak and dessert. Really outstanding deal for the quality . I choose a Ribeye while others chose Filet Mignon, all cooked to perfection. As a side we all chose Ravioli which was excellent. Alfred's has the most attentive wait staff I have ever experienced. Top notch place with service!!!Special Features:
- Great steakhousescapaDined on 7/11/2014Fantastic food and outstanding service. Thanks a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerryStalsisDined on 7/3/2014Traditional restaurant and food, dark red interior, soft lighting, large steaks, large quantities of french fries, service good, located in an alley beside the Hilton, overall a pleasant evening
- Best traditional SF steakhousemascapDined on 7/3/2014Why travel to NYC, LV, LA, etc for a great steakhouse! Stay home and eat at the very best steakhouse for the money in a traditional, downtown San Francisco steakhouse. The service is excellent and the prices are extremely fair for what you order. This restaurant is our go-to occasion restaurant in the City. We had one issue with one of our orders, and management took care of it immediately. All that I can say is that old time San Franciscans know about this restaurant. Newbies need to acquaint themselves with this absolutely wonderful restaurant. Don't say you were not forewarned! Old timers need to let out this secret.Special Features:
- Great Retro FeelJRMJRMDined on 6/27/2014Wonderful steak house with hearty food and quiet retro ambience.
- This place never fails to impress.MarinFanDined on 6/26/2014I took a friend new to San Francisco to the Thursday lunch scene and had a fabulous time. Not only is the owner Marco the best host in SF, he comes with a lifetime of knowledge in the restaurant industry. Young enough to be in the hip scene and experienced enough to know that tradition works. The menu items are the deal of the century. The steak salad is to die for plus the seasonal veggies are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1184 reviews are from the Alfred's Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Great ExperienceLeti72Dined on 6/21/2014My husband and I had our anniversary dinner and it was fantastic! The staff was very friendly, food and drinks came out in a timely manner and the meat was tasty. Walking in to the restaurant felt like being in old San Francisco, which as a San Francico Native, made it feel like home. I can't wait to go back and enjoy another amazing meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- forever the best steak in The CityNobHilleryDined on 6/21/2014We took a large party on our wedding weekend to Alfred's. From the start they were the best, following up with the reservation and a nice table The bartender Windsor is always superb, the drinks strong and well priced. He knows his stuff. Our server Tito was efficient and gracious, handling our large group with aplomb. The wine list is deep in every price category. Alfred's is everything a steakhouse should be - well-appointed, old-fashioned elegance - dark wood, red booths, crystal chandeliers. Steaks are far more reasonable than the big named steak houses, better aged, better prepared. WARNING: IF YOU EAT AT ALFRED'S YOU WON'T WANT TO VISIT A CHAIN STEAKHOUSE AGAIN, EVER. Alfred's - always an honest, great SF favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/18/2014A real steak house from the red walls giant Martinis and succulent steaksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beMaggieDined on 6/14/2014Been frequenting Alfred's for 14 years! Has been consistent. This past year things have changed. Unfortunately for the worst. The servers seem stressed out. It was a stressful dinner, I actually asked for my dessert to go. I could no longer sit through the experience. I let the manager know that our waiter had been very rude, he excused him and said I'm sure that's not what he meant. That was it, really? Aside from that, my steak has been hit or miss with every visit this year. They used to have the best calamari. The serving has become smaller and they are actually quite rubbery now. With every visit since last year, the whole experience has gotten worse. It seems like when the bald guy was around things seemed better. We're moving on.
- Dined at Alfred'sBluefoxDined on 6/14/2014We had a nice time at Alfred's celebrating my parents birthdays. The food was ok. Salads were a little disappointing as we're the mashed potatoes. The sauces which cost extra were a bit watered down. Also we ordered manhattans which were watery. Was just ok. The booth was roomy and good for our group as we could hear one another.Special Features:
- Horrible service w/ just ok foodkcplumDined on 6/14/2014This is the 3/4th time we've been to Alfred's and it was extremely extremely extremely disappointing! 10 of us went for Father's Day dinner and we were all hugely disappointed with our overall experience. Our waiter was completely and utterly horrible and it was clear he didnt want to be there. Not only was he in a rush the whole time, he spoke to us with huge attitude and never once smiled. When the good came out, meals were placed in front of the wrong person, the majority of the steaks were over cooked and had to be sent back. His reasoning was "there r over 100 steaks placed out there and it's confusing"! Wtf!!! Why would u say that to customers?!?! The salmon was horrendous and the salad tasted like chemicals! Not coming back!
- read menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014Steaks are excellent however are not seasoned unless requested. I found that I needed salt, however menu states that and I overlooked it. Would have been nice if waiter emphasized it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic steakhouse well donestewartDined on 6/4/2014Alfred's is a family tradition for special occasions and I took my grand-nephew there for his high school graduation. They are still a good steakhouse despite some cost-cutting over the years (regular sourdough rather than hot bread, pats of butter rather than sticks, somewhat smaller appetizer portions). Steaks were cooked correctly, creamed spinach was made from fresh, and my nephew loved his add-on lobster (a relative bargain when added to a steak). We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Food, AmbianceDinesWithFriendsDined on 6/3/2014i've been coming here for several years now. it's not a trendy place, so if that's what you need to make your evening, go elsewhere. if you want great food and even better service in an atmosphere where you can have a conversation without shouting, come to Alfred's. fun bar with a great whiskey selection too. i'm a martini guy myself, and they do a GREAT job on that front.Special Features:
- Superb place!KrajlDined on 5/30/2014Excellent serving staff. They are polite, friendly and anticipate one's needs. Particularly was impressed with the French man whoe served us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Night at Alfred'sKaHealyDined on 5/27/2014Outstanding across the board. Attentive service, tremendous food, great old-school atmosphere. A place I've been going to for over 30 years, and it's as good as ever. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SERVICEGREATDined on 5/24/2014The service was amazing, and the food was very good too. We celebrated my son college graduation there and they made us feel very special, we also had my 8 year grandson with us and they were very good to him too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value though not inexpensiveGator1999Dined on 5/23/2014Great steaks in particular, excellent wine list, though the beer list was lacking. Excellent bar area, felt more upscale that what we paid....not cheap but well worth $125 for a dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old San Francisco experienceBethVIPDined on 5/23/2014Great food from the old san francico experience, incredible customer service and excellent quality food!9Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buckaroo Time!NicksterVIPDined on 5/22/2014Alfred's Steak House is a San Francisco Classic and I have been going to their Buckaroo Lunch for about 30 years. Join the Buckaroo club and get a free drink. Thursday Lunch only. I had the Gaucho tips for the first time last Thursday and they were yummy.Special Features:
- Second Time HerecarltonbDined on 5/16/2014Good food, pleasant staff, great service. As visitors to SF this feels like a little piece of home to us, when we come.Special Features:
- Another great lunchRobertDined on 5/15/2014I am a "regular" of the Buckaroo Luncheon Club and bring clients to lunch on Thursdays frequently. Each client raves about the gracious greeting at the front desk, the attentive service and the great food and leaves with a Buckaroo badge for him or herself. Marco and Claire make the dining experience first rate and really do create the atmosphere of a private club, even though the badge thing is just a clever loyalty program. My clients invariably come back on their own and bring their friends. My favorite dish is a rare cooked ribeye steak paired with creamed spinach and a glass of house cab (compliments of the house with your badge). a word of caution--tips are automatically added to the tab.Special Features:
- Very DisappointedYachtsmenDined on 5/10/2014I was Very Very Disappointed with my Ribeye steak. The steak was very tough and had no flavor. Sheldon Scott
- Another Outstanding Dinner!ItalianRagazzaVIPDined on 5/10/2014Alfred's Steakhouse is absolutely the BEST RESTAURANT!! They open at 5:00 for cocktails and we all met in the bar and enjoyed one of their many famous cocktails (I had a Manhattan and my sister ordered the Lemon Drop). We were seated promptly at 5:30 and enjoyed another outstanding meal! I asked the restaurant a day in advance if it would be possible to order the Italian Fried Ice Cream for dessert, and they gladly complied with our requests! Truly a San Francisco Gem!!!Special Features:
- Classic steakhouse, great cocktailsJimEVIPDined on 5/9/2014Whether for a cocktail after work or for a special-occasion dinner, Alfred's is always special. The service is friendly and impeccable. The food is great. The cocktails are delicious...and big.Special Features:
- alfredsjbrownDined on 5/2/2014Alfreds had very good service, but I found the lighting to be a bit too dim. I felt as if I was eating in the dark. The butter was cold and would not spread on the bread. I had to ask for the waiter to heat up the butter.Special Features:
- A classicOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/1/2014This is classic San Francisco dining. The food is top quality ingredients, simply prepared and delicious. The noise level is such that you can hear the people you are with without straining. Booths, carpets, tablecloths all contribute to an intimate dining experience. The wait staff is friendly and warm and professional: I felt welcome without feeling I should invite them to join my party. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Near perfectionRobertDined on 5/1/2014I took a group of out-of-towners to the Buckaroo Luncheon Club. They were made to feel welcome, enjoyed their meals and were honored to receive their badges as we left. It really was a great way to introduce guests to the "Old San Francisco Experience." Marco and Claire start things off right with their friendly greetings upon arrival and end with their unfailingly warm farewells upon departure. The food is great steak, the wait staff is attentive and friendly, and the house reds are worthy of the establishment. A really good experience.Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014We met our cousin there for dinner along with my sister and brother in law. We had a fantastic dinner and wonderful sundaes, to celebrate our get together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.