Teske's Germania Restaurant
255 N. First Street
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
Teske's Germania Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.teskes-germania.com/
- Phone: 4082920291x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, American
- Executive Chef: Scott Baumann
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Cynthia Johnson 4082920291x
- Entertainment: Teske's Germania features music and dancing once a month and during September and October several times per month for Oktoberfest. Please visit www.teskes-germania.com for the current entertainment schedule.
A word from Teske's Germania Restaurant
First we would like to give you our "hearty welcome." Our ambiance and personal attention should give you an evening of pleasure in German dining. We will do out best to fulfill your wishes, so that you will have fond memories of our establishment. If we have succeeded in meeting your expectations, please recommend us to your friends and fellow workers. However, if we have failed to meet your expectations do not hesitate to tell us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Teske's Germania Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (27)great for outdoor dining (24)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (8)romantic (7)notable wine list (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Did not like waitress. BrushedtoshDined on 10/24/2013Did not like waitress. Brushed me off about explaining a particular dish. We were six poeple at the table and one never received the water he asked for several times.. disappointed in general...doubt if we would ever go back...
- Great Food!luvstoeatoutDined on 10/23/2013Great tasting authentic German food with outstanding service!Special Features:
- OktoberfestOktoberDined on 10/12/2013Authentic German food, great big beers, if only it was so understaffed. Poor old fellow couldn't keep up with the number of tables he had.
- What a find!DancerDined on 10/11/2013Live German Band, Dancing in the courtyard, sing a longs, great beer and authentic German cuisine. Go during Ocktoberfest season and expect large crowds and group style seating with a lot of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedFreshAndSimpleDined on 10/5/2013First time going to Teske's. My friend had lived in Germany for some time and he was looking forward to an authentic experience for his birthday. Very disappointed overall. From the dried out bread to the inedible sauerkraut (we both literally spit it out and rinsed our mouths to get rid of the flavor) and generally indifferent service. The sausages and beer were good. Rotisserie chicken too dry for my taste. Sour and tough potato pancakes. We didn't stay for dessert and won't be going back. The bus boy, Ryan, greeted and seated us. He was great. Good attitude and attentive. Interacting with him was the highlight of the evening.
- Teskes is the best place forBratsRockDined on 9/28/2013Teskes is the best place for both authentic German food and ambiance. I have been here about 6 times, 5 of which were for Oktoberfest, and I've never been disappointed. Granted, during the Oktoberfest the service dips a little, but they do a great job for how busy they get. The vibe is truly German and the entertainment is always great! I was a little sad to see they didn't have rouladen or sauerbraten on the menu for the last Oktoberfest we went to, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The German ExperienceWIllowGlenFoodieDined on 9/28/2013I took my family here on the advice from long-time resident friends of mine for Teske's Oktoberfest celebration. We were seated outside at a typical German beer hall style "communal" table. It was a bit of a tight fit for everyone, but once we were in place our server came over to take our drink orders. She seemed a bit frazzled (saw her inside arguing with cooks about a specific dish that was ordered). Once we got our drinks, the Oompa band started up. What fun! They were entertaining all the way around. Our food (Apps: Pretzels and Potato Pancakes, Dinner: Wiener Schnitzel and roasted chicken, Oktoberfest sausage sampler and Schweine Haxe) was delicious! Overall, a great dining experience for special occassions and Oktoberfest!Special Features:
- The bar is fantasticBitteEinBitDined on 9/20/2013Very good selection of German beers, good service, nice food. The bar is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and satisfyingcalifguyDined on 9/17/2013Great German food... very authentic. Big servings. We had great service and the food was very tasty. Awesome beer selection too! We sat outdoors, and it was pretty quiet and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/14/2013Great restaurant, great staff, great food..... Be hungry though, your plate will be large!Special Features:
- Beer Yes, Food Notops2000VIPDined on 9/14/2013The Food was everything but not freshly prepared nor good quality. Sweet white whine sauce on a Jaegerschnitzel doesn't taste well and I never had that in Germany. Atmosphere is good as well as the beer although they didn't have one without alcohol when we've been there. To have some beers with freinds ok but definitely not to havea good dinner, pricey.
- Vibrant Outside diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2013Great Octoberfest atmosphere. Fun place for beer and dinner. Loud music and crowd participation. Overall Fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic German feel.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2013From the atmosphere,to the long list of German beers and the menu, which never disappoints, we love this place. When family comes to visit from Connecticut we always dine at Teske's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of food but out of sauerbratenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2013Unfortunately, Teske's had run out of sauerbraten (the reason we went there) by the time we ordered our meals on Friday at 7:30. We were very disappointed. The other items we finally ordered, weinersnitchel and pork chop, were okay but not great. They serve you tons of food, so if you like lots of food, you'll love it there. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Special event.ChrisMcDDined on 8/24/2013I've been here during their special events and on a normal day. They cut back the menu a bit on the special events but still have lots of great stuff. The liter beers are always my favorite part. If your looking for quiet I'd check of they are having an event as it can get a bit loud. The outdoor seating is nice but isn't open all the time. If you love German beers and German food I'd defiantly check it out. They also have a bar area if your not looking for the full experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible when we visited....DerekDerekDined on 8/23/2013The place is cool, especially outdoor. But have to complain the port shank and the Angus pepper steak we ordered. The skin of port shank is SUPER hard, used the knife for a long while to separate, can't eat this hard stuff at all. For the Angus pepper steak, it's full of hard tendon, hard to cut and chewing it like a gum. The sausage plate and beer is great. Just no idea why they cook the entrees like this way. We went there in Fri night, and expected to have a great dinner with our best friends. SO DISAPPOINTED...Special Features:
- Wanted to try the schnitzel,OpenTableDinerDined on 8/22/2013Wanted to try the schnitzel, but at the last minute, switched to the Lachs Mit Zitrone Kapriol Sobe Mit Reis Und Gemuse (Salmon filet topped with a lemon caper sauce served with rice and seasonal vegetables). Should have trusted my instinct. The salmon was dry and overcooked; over-priced for the poor quality of the entree. Thank goodness someone else in my party ordered the Jagerschnitzel. Had one bite and regretted I switched my dinner. The Jagerschnitzel was definitely better than the Lachs. Service was very slow.
- Good food, usually good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2013Good food, usually good service. Very loud and busy during Summerfest.Special Features:
- Amazing, as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2013We love this place! Great food, never had a bad dish! It was beer week and we sat on the patio and enjoyed some live music. Service was a little slow, but that's expected when it's so busy. I felt sad to leave the terrace and be back in San Jose, because inside, I felt like we we really were in Germany!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will return next yearall4bobbyDined on 7/31/2013We rarely dine out but chose Teske's to accommodate my husband's part-German heritage for his birthday dinner and because we had a nice dinner there in the patio many years ago. Our waiter was cheerful and attentive, and the food was tasty and filling. The ambience of the attractive outdoor dining area was quite festive with live oompah-band entertainment. Our only suggestion would be to turn down the music a few decibels to facilitate conversation at the table.Special Features:
- Great for outdoor diningDoofieDined on 7/20/2013I've been here several times throughout my life, both as a child and an adult. I've lived in Munich before and this place brings back fond memories of restaurants and Biergartens there. The service is good and comfortable. I like their sausage platter, Jaeger Schnitzel, (and of course,Weiner Schnitzel), and Chicken as well. Great potato salad! But by far, my favorite here is Schweine Haxe... SO TASTY!!!! Outdoor seating (festival style where you share a long table with other guests) is great and gives a fun and uplifting atmosphere. And, they have my favorite German beer Franziskaner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little slow in accommodatingDariDined on 7/13/2013A little slow in accommodating us, but everything else was great!Special Features:
- San Jose's BestdhickeyDined on 7/13/2013There are many restaurants in San Jose, most of which are not very good. Teske really stands out for truly wonderful German food, friendly family atmosphere, and charming décor. The service is a little slow because of the Saturday crowd but friendly. I always return to this lovely restaurant. There are some excellent high end chain restaurants in San Jose, like Mortons and McCormack & Schmick, but Teske is the very best independently owned restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cant wait to go backmeatloverDined on 6/28/2013Great atmosphere delicious food and awesome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty authentic German food!AfareenDined on 6/20/2013We went there for a friend's bday. The sausage plate was delish and the pork chops was yummy! The soup was not that great but overall I would say if you are looking for some tasty food, this is the place!
- Great RestauranteatingoutDined on 6/18/2013Food was really tasty and I love the patio seating. Like to hang out at the bar with friends for a glass of wine too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome staff, ok foodAjayDined on 6/8/2013First, Teske's hospitality was amazing!! From the hostess, Lily and our main waitress (unfortunately, I forgot her name), the experience our table had with customer service was awesome! I ordered the steak, which was ok. Not the best, but it was our first time at the restaurant, and we didn't really know what to expect. My friend ordered the potato pancakes (which, she will never do so again). Overall, I give Teske's a 10/10 for a very welcoming feel, 10/10 for ambiance, 10/10 for great beer and 5/10 for food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic German FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/8/2013Lovely beer garden plus German food like my German mom and aunts make. Nice selection of beer too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice very German placecjelliDined on 6/7/2013A very friendly place with excellent food reminding of Central Europe and superb service. Great location as well.Special Features:
- Awesome dinner!seriousfoodieDined on 5/31/2013Teske's Germania is an excellent, relaxing, family-friendly restaurant. We ate outside in the "beer garden", which had a great band (but was just the right level of sound as we could still easily hear each other). Their very reasonable dinner prices include soup, salad, an entree and dessert. We had our 1 year old with us along with a big group of friends. They were more than happy to accommodate our request to bring out each course faster for a subset of us to meet our 1 year old's needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best German food west of GermanyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2013I keep coming back here because the food is authentic and they have great beer on tap. I travel to Germany every year and before I go I have to come here to get my gastric juices flowing for my trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good German FoodFoodieQueenDined on 5/17/2013Teske's is always great. There is a nice large patio that is great for large parties. Nice courtyard feel with a fountain (don't think it works, though). The soup that comes with the entree is always quite good. The Jaegerschnitzel I got, was delicious. Not greasy at all and the portion was huge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experience with Teske hasNickVIPDined on 5/14/2013My experience with Teske has always been awesome, but this last meal was disappointing. The Sauer Braten meat was like cardboard...I did let the waiter know and he did his best to provide me with an alternative and then a moister piece of meat, but it was not up to my past experience. I still like this place a lot and will chalk it up to a bad night.Special Features:
- compared to other German-foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/1/2013compared to other German-food restaurants, food was poor (hire a chef, not a cook)! for the taste/quality of food, the meal was over priced (I would be happy to pay more for excellent food such as Naschmarkt in Campbell, CA).
- Go for the food, beer, service & omOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2013The only things I didn't check above is because I didn't know...I mean...wine list - they had the beer I'd had in Germany before I've only seen in a few places! I didn't ask about wine. Food was great and our server was wonderful. We were celebrating my friend's birthday and he had a great time so I would have to say that is what this visit was all about. However now...we plan to go back!Special Features:
- I've been eating at Teske'sTedHDined on 4/20/2013I've been eating at Teske's since the mid 80's, and although old man Teske sold the restaurant years ago to the Baumann's, they kept tradition alive and it never disappoints. Some of the original servers are still here too. You get an all inclusive meal at Teske's. Light and dark rye bread and butter is on the table, then you are served a bowl of soup which varies day to day, a salad of mixed greens with a vinegar based light dressing, a hardy entree, and to top it off, a slice of Apfelstrudel. Dont forget to order a liter of authentic German beer on tap experience the true sense of this food. Prost!Special Features:
- If you want authentic GermanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/13/2013If you want authentic German food, this is the place.
- Great dinner menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2013Reasaonable price for good German style dinner with bread, soup, salad, main dish and desert. Friendly waitress and waiters.Special Features:
- We come to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2013We come to this restaurant from out of town once or twice a year. We love the authentic German food which is always well prepared. We've tried several different dishes and have enjoyed them all. The restaurant serves good sized portions of food and has a great beer list.Special Features:
- This was my second time visiting,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2013This was my second time visiting, both times with a small group of coworkers. We had the same server as I had last time and when I mentioned that fact she recalled the group I was with last time and we had a good laugh. The service was great, the food was great, and I got a big hug on the way out. Looking forward to another visit.