Teske's Germania Restaurant
255 N. First Street
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
Teske's Germania Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.teskes-germania.com/
- Phone: 4082920291x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, American
- Executive Chef: Scott Baumann
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Cynthia Johnson 4082920291x
- Entertainment: Teske's Germania features music and dancing once a month and during September and October several times per month for Oktoberfest. Please visit www.teskes-germania.com for the current entertainment schedule.
A word from Teske's Germania Restaurant
First we would like to give you our "hearty welcome." Our ambiance and personal attention should give you an evening of pleasure in German dining. We will do out best to fulfill your wishes, so that you will have fond memories of our establishment. If we have succeeded in meeting your expectations, please recommend us to your friends and fellow workers. However, if we have failed to meet your expectations do not hesitate to tell us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Teske's Germania Restaurant - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Teske's Germania Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (24)good for groups (23)neighborhood gem (16)special occasion (14)great for lunch (11)fit for foodies (9)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)romantic (6)notable wine list (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- We got there early and hadmimipDined on 4/16/2009We got there early and had a drink at the bar until the dining room opened. had a very enjoyable dinner. The Wait staff was really nice.Special Features:
- The servers were helpful andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/7/2009The servers were helpful and attentive all evening. The menu took us back to Munich! There was a notable beer list. We were on our way to a Sharks hockey game and the servers were very conscientious of that. Included in our dinners were delicious soup, salad, entree, and apple streudel dessert. Many hockey fans, along with players, gather at this popular restaurant. We will be back, especially for the outdoor beer garden entertainment in the Fall!Special Features:
- This place is fun. EXCELLENTOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2009This place is fun. EXCELLENT beer, good selection of authentic German dishes. Decor is very rustic German and casual. We always admire the taxidermy in the main dining room.Special Features:
- We hadn't been there for aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2009We hadn't been there for about ten years--we enjoyed it then, and we *really* enjoyed it this time. Authentic Bavarian/Austrian food, and huge, tasty portions. The servers were having as much fun taking excellent care of us as were having. Our hostess recommended a shot of a fabulous liquer concoction, Jagertee, to start things out--as she said, it tastes like Christmas! We intend not to wait for another ten years to pass before we return!Special Features:
- Es var sehr gut! (It was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2009Es var sehr gut! (It was very good!) My wife and I had been wanting to find a more local German restaurant for some time, and I'd heard about Teske's Germania through work friends. We were greatly pleased at the atmosphere and menu, and even the fact that the staff, when needful, actually replied and conversed in a bit of German with us. We will definitely be back! ~Jordan & Michelle MollerSpecial Features:
- We went here Saturday forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2009We went here Saturday for our anniversary. It was a very nice dining experience. The service was excellent. Our waiter was very nice. The food was totally worth the price. I would definitely come back here again. Thanks.Special Features:
- The food was great! We loveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/5/2009The food was great! We love good German food, and this was definitely it! We will be back! Even my husband who is a picky eater and this was first experience with German food enjoyed it!Special Features:
- When you walk in the door,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2009When you walk in the door, you enter through what looks like a pub. This is a bit deceiving because there is a back dining area that you can't immediately see. So, you wonder if you've walked into the right place. After we walked past the bar (which was crowded) we got to the seating podium. We were seated right away. For German cuisine, our food was flavorful and savory. The wait staff, friendly and helpful. Because this is primarily a Biergärten restaurant, don't expect to find many wines on the menu. It was a little disappointing, however, that they didn't at least serve Gewürztraminer wine. Although, they did have some German dessert wines on the menu. Overall, they had very good food and I would dine there again.Special Features:
- The service was great, andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/20/2009The service was great, and the German food was excellent. They asked about the concert that we were attending afterward and when we needed to leave - very considerate.
- The service was top notch!MARGEDined on 2/20/2009The service was top notch! The abundant, absolutely delicious food was an excellent value. Ambiance: Loaded with old world German atmosphere, German music gently playing in the background. A terrific dining experience in the heart of San Jose. Good for special occasions, romantic or a weekly dining out place. A rare find!Special Features:
- The food was great with niceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/18/2009The food was great with nice service. It is a full course meal with soup, salad and dessert with each meal, so bring a very large appetite!Special Features:
- We were given a choice ofOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2009We were given a choice of areas to sit but as this was our first visit the differences were not to be appreciated until the Jazz band began and we could not talk. We were disappointed in that the full menu as advertised on the web was not available. A special valentines day menu with no possibility for changes was the evenings modus operendi. The special menu was so americanized we could have been anywhere. The food presentation was lacking and the food appeared plopped onto the plate Army style. It started with a salad that appeared to be shredded stuff with a general oil type dressing. The soup was poor. The portions are huge. We did not finish our plates and asked that the desert (Struedle) be boxed to eat at home, that was goodSpecial Features:
- We went to Teske's on Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2009We went to Teske's on Valentine's day to have some "comfort food", she's Bavarian, and found our meals to be up to our expectations. While the restaurant was full we didn't feel rushed and the service was timely and pleasant. There was also a 3 piece band for the evening which added to the atmosphere. Overall a very pleasant dining experience.
- Went to Teske's for ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2009Went to Teske's for Valentines Day. We had four in our party. Used OpenTable for reservations, which worked out great. Our only regret was eating in the dining room. It was not the intimate setting we were looking for, however, we did not let the hostess know, so its on us. The food was extremely flavorful, cooked to order, and plated well. We enjoy going on Octoberfest and Summerfest also.Special Features:
- Teske was mentioned to meOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2009Teske was mentioned to me by a friend, since he knew I am German and I am always looking for authentic German cuisine. I took my wife there a Valentines. The amciance was somewhat as expected, the restaurant features a long "cool" bar the eating room could use a little updating but was alright. The service was good, the waiter was even German, BUT the fodd was NOT GOOD at all They served German dishes , but it all tasted as it was prepared days ahead with salt being the main spice. It was at best school cafeteria quality my wife and I were utterly disappointed, since we drove ca. 1 hour to test this German resaturant. I hope that the "non-German" customers will not leave this place with the impression that this is how German food tastes.
- Ambience was not very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/13/2009Ambience was not very good. Appetizer is below par. Clam chowder is sad to say is practically untouched after seeing how bad it looked and taste. Salad was not done correctly by other restarant's standard. Main course was not bad but we were expecting it to be better since it was supposed to the restaurant's specialty. Dessert was like something you get from Safeway. I wish Gordon Ramsey would stop by the restaurant. The only thing good was the alcohol to mask the taste of the food. After this meal, we stopped by an In and Out to have a decent meal and it only cost $15 versus $100.
- excellent and consistent serving.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/11/2009excellent and consistent serving. the service from frauline is authentic.Special Features:
- I didn't know exactly whatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/30/2009I didn't know exactly what to expect but after reading many of the reviews we were confident that the food was going to be good. It definitely didn't disappoint. They have a great selection of beer as well as an extensive menu of German cuisine. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful when it came to clarifying a few things on the menu. It's also a great value as well, as many, if not all entrees come with a soup, salad, and dessert! We are definitely going back, if anything just to try more beer!Special Features:
- The service was outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/14/2009The service was outstanding but we went very early before a show so very few patrons. The food was not very impressive and was somewhat bland. Had hoped for better.
- this is great German foodSBaumanSfVIPDined on 1/10/2009this is great German food in a fantastic setting (we loved the moose, deer, and bison heads in the dining room). We live in San Francisco and have been hearing about Teske for years -- finally made it down and were not disappointed. Service was superb, prices are very reasonable (meals include soup AND salad AND dessert; drink prices (e.g. Obstler, Kirsch) are so low you'll want to drink several!). We like to get large groups together for German food on several special occasions throughout the year and will definitely make the trip from SF to SJ for our next party.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our dinner at Teske's. FCDB1Dined on 12/13/2008We enjoyed our dinner at Teske's. Food: Good solid German food and plenty of it (the price of your dinner includes soup, salad, entree and side and Apple Strudel!) Service: Our waiter was terffic, he was working hard to keep up on a busy night, but was personable, helpful and funny. He helped make our dinner fun. We will be going again!Special Features:
- Delicious, authentic GermanSoxFanWestDined on 12/9/2008Delicious, authentic German cuisine. Very reasonably priced, too, given that soup, salad, and apple strudel was included in the dinner prices.Special Features:
- We got there and the resturantNHPBDined on 11/1/2008We got there and the resturant had been closed for a private party, but they seated us in the bar and had a limited menu.
- We had a birthday party forOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/21/2008We had a birthday party for 2 colleagues and the food was good and the service was great. There was another party going on in the patio, so we got music along with dinner.Special Features:
- We had a great time there;OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2008We had a great time there; the Octoberfest was in progress which added to the fun! The menue selectios are authentic German fare of genereous portions.Special Features:
- We requested a certain tableNoneDined on 9/23/2008We requested a certain table but were told we could not sit there because it was for 5 people and we only had 3 people in our party. This was a bit annoying and did not make a great first impression, especially since the "5 person table" we requested remained empty throughout the evening. Nice outdoor patio. Food was good. Red cabbage a little overcooked though. Sold out of the two beers we requested off the menu. Service was very, very slow; only one server who seemed exhausted. The bus boy was helpful. The bathroom had privacy issues with an unlockable very short stall door. I don't think we will be back.Special Features:
- We didn't know that it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/12/2008We didn't know that it was the first night of their Octoberfest party with a specialized menu. We sat out in the beer garden and you share tables with other diners --- waitress did a great job of managing many different groups. Band was fun and folks were dancing and drinking in true OctoberFest style. We were sorry that we had to get to a play.Special Features:
- This place is a classic. YoubafoodieVIPDined on 9/5/2008This place is a classic. You get so much food and character for your money. And the food is fantastic. This is ALWAYS a favorite. Start at Trials Pub next door for great beers on tap then head here for Spaten Octoberfest. They have amazing menus in the Fall and live music in their "beer garded". Just a San Jose GEM!Special Features:
- Food and service were OK.LovetoeatVIPDined on 7/19/2008Food and service were OK. Not as good as in the past. Seemed a bit run down.
- We dined at Teske's for theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/11/2008We dined at Teske's for the first time. Our service was good considering there were 2 large parties on the patio. But it was not "good enjoyable" which was the option above, so I marked it Fair Mediocre. It is possible our experience would be better if we choose to go there on a week night. We might try this restaurant again to see if that could be the case.
- Teske's has a great beer gardenmichDined on 6/13/2008Teske's has a great beer garden for a summer evening. Great for hanging out with friends. Although the selection is small, my vegetarian friends said their food was very good.Special Features:
- Overall it is a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/3/2008Overall it is a wonderful little restaurant that stays true in food and spirit to its German roots. Mostly a neighborhood scene. Would be perfect on a cool autumn night as the meals are hearty rustic German fare. All dishes come with soup and salad so the value is great. Their bread is wonderful traditional German rye and pumpernickel. The wine list was not very impressive but who goes to Germany for wine when you can order rich Spaten beer - a better compliment for all of their pork and sausage dishes. The ambience is very German and reminds you of the many biergartens and small cafes you would happen upon in any major german city. The entrance is a very lived in bar area and can be a bit deceiving - white table cloths are behind it.Special Features:
- Delicious, hearty German food.OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/9/2008Delicious, hearty German food. Good beer and schnaps selection. Casual place to grab a beer after work, or to get a big hot meal on a rainy or cold night.Special Features:
- We frequently dine at Teske'sOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/26/2008We frequently dine at Teske's and have always enjoyed wonderful food and service. It provides a welcoming, warm, and fun environment. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD AND GREAT SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008GREAT FOOD AND GREAT SERVICE CAN'T ASK FOR ANYTHING MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Our server was outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/14/2008Our server was outstanding, very attentive and accommodating. She also anticipated our needs. The restaurant had a 60s British rock band the night we visited. The group added to our enjoyment that evening.Special Features:
- Our waitress was very friendlylesismoreDined on 3/8/2008Our waitress was very friendly however the service was quite slow. The meal includes bread, soup, salad, and dessert - a very good value for about $20.00. The food is hearty and substantial but not for the particularly "health conscience" types since it's very rich. Great beer selection!
- Went here for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2008Went here for Valentine's several years back. It's a bit dated, but the food was great and service was okay.