de Medici Cucina Italiana
815 5th Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
de Medici Cucina Italiana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.demedicisandiego.com/
- Phone: 6197027228x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday–Thursday 5:00pm–10:00pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm–11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Macias
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from de Medici Cucina Italiana
Make your next event a memorable experience in one of the Gaslamp’s most elegant and highly recommended Italian restaurants. Surrounded in an ambiance of old world charm, de’ Medici features the authentic cuisine of Italy, including a vast selection of Italian seafood specialties. Fabulous food, personalized service and attention to details are just a few examples of the high standards that set them apart.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
de Medici Cucina Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (24)special occasion (24)fit for foodies (18)notable wine list (18)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (10)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Best San Diego DiningluvgoodwineDined on 8/2/2013We have been to de Medici twice and have enjoyed a wonderful dinner on each occasion. The staff and the food are 5 star all the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last visit we ordered vealVMcGVIPDined on 8/1/2013Last visit we ordered veal chops-xlnt! but pricey at over $40. This time I tried the scallopini. Tough and flavorless, but the marsala sauce was xlnt. We ordered bourbon & 7's and when we got the bill, found out they poured a call brand (Maker's Mark) and cost $11 a piece. They should ask before trading up without our permission. If you want a really good dish, order the very expensive dishes, the cheaper cut is very disappointing. This is a beautiful restaurant. I would recommend this restaurant with caveats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2013My wife and I went here while visiting San Diego for our first anniversary. We had a wonderful time, and our waiter James was outstanding. I would recommend this again. We will be going back. p.s. try the cheescake. wow.Special Features:
- Always a must when in San DiegoAZFoodEDined on 7/16/2013Love this place. My wife and stumbled on it purely by accident one rainy night almost 10 years ago. We go each year when we visit the area. The food is always good, the service is always impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerLuluDined on 7/14/2013We came for dinner. The food was good. The staff was great. It was a little pricey and a lot of the prices are not listed on the menu. Therefore, your bill can be very surprising. Especially when they add on sparkling water and a salad to start and you don't know you are being charged for those things too. Great place but not if your on a budget. We were there for vacation and is was a little too costly for our budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/13/2013My wife Angie and I celebrated her birthday. We went due to the high reviews on open table and we were not disappointed at all!! Our server was Juan who was fantastic and sal made our evening with a special drink. Thanks !!!! We will be back for sure !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All about Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2013Our dining experience was amazing. The food and ambiance was amazing but the customer service was outstanding. Juan is a great waiter ready to serve and make recommendations from the menu. He was attentive and friendly. The manager was as well as the Juan and the hostess bent over backwards to work with us on the issues we have with our Restaurant.com coupon. Let's see if Restaurant.com is as accomodating.Special Features:
- The food was really good,FantasticServiceDined on 6/28/2013The food was really good, we were treated very well by all the staff. Greeted by the manager and presence of the owner was a gerat touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2013My family and I went there for a graduation celebration. It was perfect. Pricey but that's what you expect for delicious Northern Italian cuisine and great wine. I've been here once before and loved the veal. Tried the sol portofino per the waiter's suggestion and it was amazing. Make sure you come hungry because the portions are huge. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a must when in San Diego!lcjbroncoDined on 6/10/2013After dining here twice on consecutive visits to San Diego I can say that this as "must do" when on vacation as SeaWorld or the zoo! This is one of the finest places for Italian style seafood and prime steaks that I have ever been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is not your typical redTBlankleyDined on 6/8/2013This is not your typical red sauce Pizza place. While the food was very good, what stood out the most was the quality of the service. I honestly don't know how long it has been since a Caesar Salad was prepared for me at tableside and done well and with some theatrics. The service was absolutely memorable.Special Features:
- birthday celebrationcatfuzzDined on 6/2/2013Wonderful service- very attentive- you feel as if you are the only group there Excellent food Easy to find and get to Great atmosphere- staff are happy to be there and add to the festivities Really make a special occasion specialSpecial Features:
- Mediocre food for a high price.anonymousDined on 6/1/2013Mediocre food for a high price. Great service and nice outdoor dining space.
- food was excellent, serviceJayLDined on 5/31/2013food was excellent, service was very good and the ambience was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place. The foodEliasVIPDined on 5/25/2013Loved this place. The food was delicious and the service was great. Really nice old school Italian in the heart of Gas Lamp.Special Features:
- Old School GemJoeTDined on 5/16/2013This is a wonderful restaurant with Old World Charm and brings back fun with the lost art of Table-side Service. Juan, our favorite waiter, creates a great experience from his Ceasar Salad, Steak Diane and Bananas Foster all done with true showmanship and the food is out of this world.Special Features:
- Authentic East Coast ItalianEastCoastCriticsDined on 5/11/2013Absolutely delicious, a real East Coast Italian experience. The Oso Buco and the Veal Milanese were mouth watering delicious. I also recommend the calamari. And don't forget to top your evening off with a cappuccino martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gaslamp GemetkgdkVIPDined on 5/11/2013This is a great restaurant for a special occasion or just a very nice night out. The food is excellent and the service is terrific, especially Juan, whom we have had a few times and are never disappointed. If you like romantic, great Italian food and good service this is the place.Special Features:
- Eager to PleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2013A satisfactory dinner, with over-the-top, sometimes unctuous service. The bartender was charming and accommodating. The menu was large, but not comprehensive (no scungilli or tripe). The wine list was comprehensive, but not of Wine Spectator quality. The service was extremely attentive, with levels of assistants. The presentations were excellent, the appetizers delicious, the Caesar Salad excessively garlicky, the fish excellently prepared and tasty, the veal not as tender as expected, the wine recommendation off the mark, and the desserts outstanding. This was restaurant would never survive NYC, and would have a hard time on the East Coast. Also, by comparison with East Coast Italian restaurants, the experience was over-priced.
- The decor is very outdatedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/27/2013The decor is very outdated and unattractive. Everything they serve is brought to the table on this horrible rolling tray, even if it's just one plate! There are trays rolling around the place constantly. The food is way overpriced for what you get. I got the pesto gnocci. For $23, it came with 12 small pieces of gnocci and sauce. The owner should consult Robert Irvine.
- Good pre theatre quick dinnerAlohaannaDined on 4/20/2013We stopped in for a pre- theatre dinner and the service was prompt, efficient and professional. Our waiter was friendly and very knowledgeable about all aspects of the menu and wine list. To be fair, we only ordered the salad a Medici, which was simple yet delicious, calamari appetizer and the fettuccine bolognese. The calamari was Fried, but not seasoned too much, so not too much flavor. The bolognese, while adequate also was a bit on the bland side. it was a fine dinner, but not particularly outstanding. I suspect had we had time for more specialty dishes, we might have a better overall view of the food. Great wines and perfect Gaslamp location, great for people watching on the patio.Special Features:
- Delicious food, charming service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2013This was a fun experience! Our food was outstanding. Our servers were competent and entertaining in a charming way. On several occassions they prepared our course tableside. On the evening we were there, the restaurant was full of large tables of business associates. On a quieter evening, this restaurant would be ideal for a romantic meal or a special occasion. We ordered the Caesar salad, salmon al limone, and gnocchi - all were DELICIOUS. For dessert, we ordered the tiramisu, the cannoli, and the sorbet with berries - again, delicious. The desserts looked beautiful and freshly prepared. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- never again!mikekDined on 4/13/2013We were promised a table out of the way - and were first offered one dead center to the entrance. The owner spent more time serving us and correcting server mistakes than we expected, and we were even told not to tip the servers. The meal was very good, but the kitchen failed to follow directions on one of the dishes which was ordered extremely spicy but arrived with the spices presented in a separate dish. The caesar salad was prepared at the table but we were not offered cold forks and pepper and additional parmesan as the other tables were. The wine was decanted properly, but we had to pour our own, unlike the other tables. We were never offered more than the opening round of drinks. the owner also took umbrage over our complaints.Special Features:
- Jose our waiter made thisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2013Jose our waiter made this a true dining experience, we had the table side Caesar and banana desert, top rater, best ever!!!! Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- Always a winner, this GasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/6/2013Always a winner, this Gas Lamp Quarter gem is one of the top the best Italian restaurants in town, and a dining destination. I've been going to de'Medici a couple of times a month ever since it opened more than 15 years ago, and it's an absolute winner...extensive menu, extensive wine list, and owner Sal Vitale and manager Mario Valerio make everyone from first-timers to old-timers feel welcome.Special Features:
- The Chef was a Master. I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013The Chef was a Master. I had a pasta dish and the sauce was the best I've ever had. My lady had a steak and she claims it was the best she ever had.Special Features:
- We dine at de Medici everytimeLizbethDined on 3/21/2013We dine at de Medici everytime we visit San Diego. It continues to be the best restaurant in San Diego with impecable service. Very few restaurants offers table side cooking, and de Medici does it with flair-and available with every course.Special Features:
- Elegant dining spot in theRICKDined on 3/14/2013Elegant dining spot in the heart of the Gaslamp District of San Diego. The stuffed filet of sole is out of this world.Special Features:
- Owner truly cares about hisGregVIPDined on 3/12/2013Owner truly cares about his business and hi always there
- Food and service was exceptionallyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/10/2013Food and service was exceptionally good. Antonio was our waiter and tableside chef; multi-talented!Special Features:
- Best Authentic Italian DiningcatfuzzDined on 3/9/2013Awesome food and service. Owner provides hands on service - very friendly atmosphere. Many lovely personalized touchesSpecial Features:
- What a great meal! My ScampiScarlettVIPDined on 3/8/2013What a great meal! My Scampi Vesuvio was terrific-prepared perfectly. My dining companion said that the Fettucine alla Bolognese which was the best ever. The service was friendly and attentive. My favorite dessert of all time is tiramisu. This had to be the best I have ever had. Don't miss this place.Special Features:
- Overall simply excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Some of the best service I have ever had. Great food and very attentive employees. Excellent place for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Took an out-of-town friend,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Took an out-of-town friend, her husband, and her cousin/husband there for a nice dinner. My husband and I had never been there either. I picked the restaurant based on it's location to my friend's hotel, that they were part of the San Diego Gift Cards, and that they had a high Zagat number. The service made me think of a high-class place, even though some patrons were dressed pretty casually. My friend and husband operate a small winery out of their backyard, and they had no problem selecting a great wine for dinner. The food was great, but my husband thought his lamb had too many mushrooms and the to go box didn't contain all my food, only the meat. Still, a great place for a fancy dinner!Special Features:
- The Caesar Salad made at yourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/1/2013The Caesar Salad made at your table is to die for and the stuffed Sole was amazing, great house wines, and the wait staff was impecableSpecial Features:
- Try the Gnocchi!downtowngemDined on 2/24/2013My husband and I had our first visit to de'Medici after a SD Opera showing. Jose, our server, was fantastic. He made us feel very welcomed and the overall service was excellent. The food was delicious. I had the gnocchi and it was great! I wish there were more on the plate for I could've eaten two or three servings. It was that good!I highly recommend this place and we look forward to visiting again with family and friends.Special Features:
- Great food Excellent menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/19/2013Great food Excellent menu options Unbelieveable service. Will definitely visit every time I am in San Diego.Special Features:
- Delicious TiramisuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2013We went here for the tiramisu and only that. I'm 20wks pregnant on our Babymoon and I was craving tiramisu. After finding some reviews re: their tiramisu we decided to try it out. Well it was DELICIOUS, just the right amount of cream & lady fingers! So delicious we ordered another one to go! Would definitely come back for that. BTW, the place is a bit fancy and I didn't read that before we went so we felt bad just sitting around during their dinner hour for just the dessert but whatever! :) Me & my baby were happy w/ our tiramisu!Special Features:
- Favorite RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013We come back to this restaurant for our anniversary whenever we can. This is our most favorite restaurant in the whole world. The furnishings are old world high class. the service is impeccable. Everything on the menu is delicious, but we highly recommend the Steak Diane prepared at tableside. Can't wait to get back again next year! Enjoy!Special Features:
- Great food BUT lack of service...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013The food was great but the service was not. For being a fine dine resturaunt there was NOTHING fine about the service. We're from out of town & i decided to treat my boyfriend to a nice dinner for his birthday while the food was good the service lacked never felt so ignored at an establishment. They changed waiters 3 times without notice & only came to our table to drop off drinks, food & take our order. The owner was there as well he made his way to a couple of tables but never to ours the waiters were oblivious to us to. I will not be back to this resturaunt nor would I recommend it, there's many other reasuratunt in the SD Gaslamp District that your money will be better spent at...thank de Medici for the lack service!