de Medici Cucina Italiana
815 5th Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
de Medici Cucina Italiana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.demedicisandiego.com/
- Phone: 6197027228x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday–Thursday 5:00pm–10:00pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm–11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Macias
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from de Medici Cucina Italiana
Make your next event a memorable experience in one of the Gaslamp’s most elegant and highly recommended Italian restaurants. Surrounded in an ambiance of old world charm, de’ Medici features the authentic cuisine of Italy, including a vast selection of Italian seafood specialties. Fabulous food, personalized service and attention to details are just a few examples of the high standards that set them apart.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
de Medici Cucina Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (26)romantic (25)fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (17)good for groups (14)neighborhood gem (12)great for outdoor dining (10)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- San Diego TripStevieB52Dined on 3/30/2014I found de Medici on Open Table's reviews, and it truly was a joy to visit. The decor was classic, as was the service. It was a quiet Sunday night, so the place was not overly busy. Our server had several good suggestions, and he took very good care of us dunring our visit. I tried their signature dish which was sea bass, and it was wonderful. The rest of the party had several different dishes, and all were excellent. We are all fans of Italian cuisine, and we were all very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time and loved the waiterNAEA8Dined on 3/29/2014We had a great time! The preselected menu (through a special arrangement made by the National Art Education Association for convention participants) offered good choices. Our waiter was very amiable and made our group dining a lot of fun - he was efficient, on target, and had a great sense of humor.Special Features:
- Delicious food and amazing service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2014We ordered seafood...very tasty and delicious. The presentation of the food was impressive and amazing, nicely done. The staff was friendly, patient and helpful. The price is a little bit in the upscale, but the serving was more than you can eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Italian restaurantMugsyVIPDined on 3/15/2014We have been here several times. The service is superb. The owner personally visits every table. It is old style Italian, with booths and white table cloths. Food is traditional and very good. We had caprese salad with scrumptious burrata cheese. The eggplant appetizer was ver good and the spaghetti and meatballs were traditional and tasty. Service is exemplary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an oasisswimtagDined on 3/15/2014It was St. Patricks weekend and we went for a special dinner (spouse, 12 YO daughter). The food was excellent, the waiter Omar was amazing - even got my daughter to help him make the caesar salad! It was really quiet inside with the chaos outside - very sparse crowd but that made it even more special. Attentive service but not in your face. I'd go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousGergDined on 2/26/2014The steak was excellent. The server, Juan, was excellent. My out of town guest really enjoyed it. Thank you:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italiana, Old StyleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/25/2014This restaurant appears to be a bit of a throwback, but the food is delicious and the waiters are trained professionals who are very polite and conscientious (no one will greet a couple with "how are you guys" in this establishment).Special Features:
- Basic Italian foodCas9VIPDined on 2/21/2014We ate at this restaurant because it was walking distance from our hotel. The staff were very attentive. The food was tasty but not exceptional. We had a pleasant dinner out. It was a little pricey for what awas offered. The tab came to $100 for the two of us and only one of us had wine and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant EveningGaryDined on 2/16/2014Food was good, ambiance very nice. Salads could have been better, somewhat bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing dinner!SteveMDined on 2/15/2014The staff at de Medicis never fails to knock it out of the park. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saved my valentine dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Came here last minute an they accommodated us like we were special guests. Loved them will come back!Special Features:
- wonderful birthday for the wifemattandluluDined on 2/8/2014The staff and food was excellent. wife had steak and lobster and she loved it...it was her bday so she splurged and have a fantastic meal. The waiter helped my wife pair her wine and she is still smiling about the dinner. thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Osobucco!nadomanDined on 2/8/2014average food and they did not have their speciality on a Saturday night at 7:30pm! They said that they only make 7-10 per night and you have to reserve them. Please give me a break when is the last time you had to reserve an entree??? Maybe make some more???
- Love Returning HerepamjbubDined on 2/8/2014Although we weren't even staying in San Diego Gaslamp District... we drove in from our hotel in La Jolla ... JUST to enjoy the Steak and Lobster ... everything is always fresh, meat is juicy and tender! The attention to detail at our dining table is always outstanding! The owner is always on hand with an "eagle eye" ... watching diner and servers alike! He makes sure his customers are treated well! Enjoyed every morsel !! But, no room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafood Pasta!CavidVIPDined on 2/6/2014One of the best I've ever had! The onwer of the rest is there!, looking after every small detail is perfect.. Will be back for sureSpecial Features:
- Excellence in the Gaslight DistrictJohnfromNewOrleansDined on 2/5/2014We were visiting San Diego and this restaurant was recommended by the cousin of the owner (Mr. Salvatore Vitali). We experienced a menu of Italian food that had many items we had never seen before. Mr. Vitali is from Italy and is a most gracious host. It was one of the most pleasant dining experiences we have ever had in 48+ years of marriage.Special Features:
- BeautifulVaneDined on 1/26/2014The restaurant is such an elegant place. The ambiance is relaxing and sweet. Perfect place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!!GrenouilleLoverVIPDined on 1/22/2014Great food with fabulous service and an owner maître d' there to help with selections and make sure everything is perfection. Really a fabulous experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinner for 2texcatDined on 1/18/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Michael our server was most attentive and happy to split many of our dishes as we wanted to sample as many courses as possible! Linguine Pescatore was particularly good as was the tiramisu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Better ServiceErinPVIPDined on 1/18/2014My husband and I sat outside last Saturday night enjoying our date night. James, our server, was fantastic - very attentive, but not over the top. He helped by providing great food and wine recommendations based off our comments of what we were looking for. The pastas were delicious - I was looking for a big bowl of pasta comfort meal and certainly got that with the Fettuccine Bolognese. The desserts were also fantastic. Great people watching outside! We will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodRichDined on 1/17/2014Great Food and Ambiance. Romantic yet nice for Clients too.Special Features:
- Recent visitBobbiDined on 1/16/2014Visited on January 16th, 2014. The Sea Bass and Sole were delicious. Service was excellent! The dining room was quiet on this evening but the tables outside were full. I would definitely recommend for a cozy, romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDinerDined on 1/15/2014The other night we came in for a special dinner and when the waiter described your signature dish it sounded wonderful. Sole stuffed with lobster and shrimp. Being de Midici is considered a high end restaurant I wanted it. My wife advised me against it saying she had ordered it before that it was OK but........I ordered it and should have taken her advice. For what this dish cost (and I was more than willing to pay) I thought there would be lumps of lobster and shrimp. That you would see and taste lobster and shrimp. My opinion it was stuffed with a type of spread that I assume had lobster and shrimp. My wife ordered the veal and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect AnniversaryJulieDined on 1/10/2014Service by Juan was truly outstanding. We got handshakes upon arrival, a special Italian bread brought just for our anniversary, extremely attentive service and witty banter. We even got fancy touches like wine decanting and palate cleansers after the Caesar salad (best Caesar salad ever). Dinner was very good and the tiramisu was world class. Juan even comped our dessert. He knew we had a play to catch, so everything was brought out timely, but we never felt rushed. It was a perfect anniversary experience; made us feel very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- De MediciOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2014The restaurant was under construction,but still pretty nice. Staff was pleasant and well informed. Food was good, but a little pricey for what you get. All in all, 3 stars seems about right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So ImpressedTrishDined on 12/31/2013We went to de Medici not expecting the best of service since it was New Year's Eve but went more for the food and ambiance. I was super impressed when the owner came to our table. He sold us on several items due to his expertise. We took our own Champagne (my favorite: Cuvee Rose Laurent Perrier Brut) and the restaurant originally told us there would be a $25 corkage fee, which was fine. After having the best conversation with the owner he decided to not charge us the fee, so we insisted that he come back and have a toast with us which he did. He added so much to our experience. The food was had the best flavor of any Italian food I had ever had. Our entire overall first impression was amazing and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu, excellent food,ItalianfoodloverVIPDined on 12/31/2013Great menu, excellent food, attentive wait-staff. Great for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Dinner experienceDesertflowerDined on 12/28/2013Service was friendly but the food was poor. Caesar salad was wayyyy too salty. Ahi tuna was poor - looked like it was from a freezer prepack. Pasta w/shrimp was just okay. Really enjoyed the wine (brought it ourselves) but the corking fee was too high. Definitely would not return.
- yumBri13Dined on 12/13/2013We had a seat on the patio which was fun to watch the downtown scene go by. Food was great, we split the veal chop and the gnocchi. Great martinis. We also used passport dining which was the main reason for going there. Our server was great and while there was one hiccup in the experience, the owner appropriately offered a complimentary round of drinks. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Always Great!luv2dine2Dined on 11/17/2013I always look forward to dining at De Medici when I am in town. Fantastic food and service. The Sole Portfino is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first bad Review....SusieVIPDined on 11/9/2013We arrived on time for our reservation and only outside sitting was available. So we had to wait to be seated. We sat there for at least 15 mins w/o any recognition or even water. I finally had to get up and ask the hostess for service. Even then, it took another 5 or 10 mins. Our waiter was pleasant , but he seemed to have a difficult time hearing us order and of course got my order wrong. I think the worst part of the whole experience was the fact that the "proprietor" stopped at the table and asked how it was going. I told him about our wait. He walked by later and I showed him that I had no food and everyone else had there food and he didn't even seem to care. He was probably the biggest disappointment. Food was however pretty good.Special Features:
- Worth a return visitVannieDined on 11/5/2013The restaurant was recommended by a friend for the food and service. We were warmly and graciously greeted upon arrival and got a great table. True to the reference, the choice of dishes was wonderful. Our veal dinners were fabulous and the Italian wines that were recommended to us were great also. The one disappointment was the service. It took a while for us to get our water and wine even though the restaurant was not full. We attributed that to possibly a new waiter. Next to our table, the four guests were well attended to by Juan. So, we will ask for Juan when we make our next reservation at De Medici.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodNewmanDined on 10/12/2013The food was great. Service staff was a bit over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- de MediciJETurnerDined on 10/2/2013The flavoring was awesome. The temperature was a little cool. We sat outside and the ambiance was great. The wait staff was great. Would I go back? Absolutely.Special Features:
- Overpriced italianZeusGuyVIPDined on 10/2/2013We had a party of 10 from a convention and were in the GasLamp Quarter ~7 pm midweek. Kinda a last minute group and this was one of the few places that would take a reservation. The place is decorated a bit more upscale than may other Gaslamp places but is a bit old fashioned. The food actually was reasonably good but not of the caliber of say Baci. I can recommend the seafood cannelloni. My big complaint were the prices, especially for beef. The prices cannot be justified by the quality of the food or service (which was not bad but became increasingly inattentive as the meal progressed).
- The evening was fabulous.Seasons52Dined on 9/28/2013The evening was fabulous. I would definitely recomment this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dad loved it!!!TxtravelgrlVIPDined on 9/27/2013Was looking for a classic Italian place for me and my parents, and I booked this after reading the reviews on open table. Dad (who is very picky) really liked the restaurant. Mom and I were also happy with our pasta dishes. This is the perfect place if you are looking for classic Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServicesbdudeDined on 9/27/2013Chose De Medici based on Open Table reviews. The service was excellent, and our waiter Berfilio made our night enjoyable. The food was good as well, but would best be described as the traditional American perception of Italian food: safe and inoffensive. The restaurant was clean, but definitely looking a little dated. Photos of celebrities adorned the well-used booths. Ours was to a picture of the owner with Betty White, and another with who we thought was Danny Glover. Overall, a great evening, if simply for the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointing dinner overallOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/31/2013Poor selection of white wines, especially considering it's an Italian restaurant. No white wines other than the typical chardonnay, one or two no-name never heard of, whites, except the restaurant branded white; AND, no fruilli, frascati, vermentino, nor any other regional whites from italy. Meat sauces are unimaginative, bottle-sauce flavor, comparable to store-bought. The cannelloni appetizer was wrapped hard-dough, unedible, filled with left-over pieces of seafood that were VERY fishy smelling.. We sent it back, refused to pay for it. Better off at Croce"s. They have a little more pride in what they serve.
- Great and wonderfulYoichiDined on 8/25/2013This restaurant is great and I was in Italy one month ago. The food especially pasta was the same great food as in Italy which I was looking for. I recommend if you really want to eat real Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.