Medium Rare - Capitol Hill
515 Eighth St. SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Medium Rare - Capitol Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mediumrarerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2026017136x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Medium Rare - Capitol Hill
Our newest location! Reservations are not required. Contact us for large parties or special events. Feel free to contact us regarding our seating policy. Yes, we do serve brunch/lunch on Sunday with a great prix fixe including "The Best French Toast in DC", Steak and Eggs, Eggs Benedict and bottomless bloody Marys, mimosas and screwdrivers. During the evenings, Medium Rare offers a unique, prix fixe dinning experience of artisan bread; a mixed green salad; prime, dry-aged steak; and hand-cut fries in a relaxed, fun, neighborhood environment. As we do only one thing, we do our best to make the food and experience exceptional and also a good value. There are only a carefully selected wines, spirits, and draft beer choices. We offer an off-menu vegetarian option.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Medium Rare - Capitol Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (42)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (34)fit for foodies (23)great for outdoor dining (21)hot spot (15)romantic (11)special occasion (11)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great for BrunchSGDCVIPDined on 4/27/2014Had a great time, excellent service and the food was delish. A def recommend.Special Features:
- Pretty great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014The only minor issue we had was that our table was right next to the bar where people would stand to get a drink while they waited for their tables, so we had a lot of read ends in our faces while we tried to eat. They may want to consider moving that table away from the bar 6 inches for a more enjoyable experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming BrunchBigTenDined on 4/19/2014Went with a group of friends for brunch and the food was decent, while the drinks (bottomless mimosas, bloody marys, screwdrivers) were furiously watered down. I felt like I needed to continue to fill up on a ton of liquid in order to get some kind of buzz from what seemed like a quarter-shot of liquor in each drink. We expected much more from a fairly new place in the area trying to make a name for itself. Also, we felt that the food (steak frites, parfaits, etc) should have been prepared better and not been so bland... when the kitchen has a set menu for many hours, it shouldn't be too hard to not screw up 3 different menu items that you're focused on making all day.
- Great deal for bottomless brunchcs875Dined on 4/19/2014Brought two friends visiting from England to brunch at Medium Rare in Eastern Market, and it was a great spot for them to see a different neighborhood in DC, but was also a great deal for bottomless brunch. $23 gets you bottomless drinks, bread for the table, a starter (fruit, parfait, or a DELICIOUS mixed greens salad), and the menu options range from "I'm feeling normal levels of hunger." to "I'm starving and hungover and want EVERYTHING there is to offer." My mimosa never hit the bottom of the glass - the servers are on top of their game. Everyone at our table was satisfied and enjoyed the meal. We were especially pleased with the outdoor seating, which provided a perfect setting for a cool, spring morning. Thanks Medium Rare!Special Features:
- My wife and I went to MediumtkdgopherDined on 4/13/2014My wife and I went to Medium Rare in Cleveland Park a few years ago and were absolutely thrilled to hear that they were opening up another restaurant in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. Both the steak and the french fries are excellent and you are not going to find a better deal for under $20 anywhere in this city. We go to this restaurant at least a couple times a month, and we are still excited about the food every time we go. While I am not as excited about the brunch (but that is mostly because I don't drink and end up paying more for smaller portions), it still holds its own against anyone on Barrack's Row. Quality of the wait staff can be uneven at times, but I have certainly seen much worse. Long live Medium Rare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/10/2014I've been to Medium Rare before & love the idea of not having a menu. It's a simple way to allow diners to spend more time speaking with each other over reading a menu. While we were a large group (7) it took an inexplicable amount of time for wine & food to be brought to our table. Other tables seated after us were served well before we were and we know we weren't waiting on a more complicated order than they were. In a comical moment, the manager came over to ask us how our food was when only 3 of the 7 of us had plates in front of us.
- Steak Night OutheartburnDined on 4/10/2014If you want a night out without cooking, this is an excellent choice. Food was delicious and seconds are available. Limited wine and cocktail choices, but good service. Noise level makes it necessary to speak with raised voice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!alexVIPDined on 4/8/2014When you just want bread, salad, steak, and fries- there's actually no better place than medium rare. Great food, service was good (i hate when they bring out one little cup of ketchup at a time). I love the Cleveland park location, but this one is more convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as usual. Easy,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/7/2014Delicious as usual. Easy, good for groups, everyone pays the same!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of steak and awesome desserts!CRQTDined on 4/6/2014We had a group of five including two teenagers. All came away happy. They bring you steak and fries, which were very good, considering this is Washington, D.C. And good steak is impossible to find. And then they bring you another helping of steak and fries! We got the cherry blossom fudge Sunday which was excellent and the apple pie which was just ok. The French lessons playing in the bathroom are funny. All around a great place. Will definitely recommend to others!!Special Features:
- So-So (3 stars)RosaDined on 4/6/2014My friends and I dined at Medium Rare for brunch. The service was inconsistent. We received our bread with our incredibly delayed entrees. Our entrees came out separately but my steak and frites were lukewarm. That happens to be a particular pet peeve of mine when dining. If the meals are going to come out as they are prepared, please serve it hot. Also the drinks were incredibly weak. I'd rather pay for a proper screwdriver or mimosa than watered down juices. I wouldn't come back here for brunch but the food was good. I highly recommend the French toast.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/3/2014The food was very good--and I like the concept. The servers and bartender were very very friendly and the manager came over to ask how our meal was. I do think the restaurant is FAR too loud. I couldn't hear people at my table unless they spoke very loudly. Also--everything is TOO quick. I felt that the servers were all running around and that everything was frenetic and fast. It is not a leisure meal. I felt like I was being rushed out.Special Features:
- Good foodRenaDined on 3/31/2014I really enjoyed the food! Great price, where else can you get bread, salad, steak, fries, then a whole second helping of steak and fries for under $20? The food is so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unlimited Watered Down DrinksGRichDined on 3/30/2014Washington DC is an (unlimited) brunch town, and therefore the standards are high. This place didn't cut it. Medium Rare advertises itself as steak and unlimited brunch drinks for a flat fee. Unfortunately, every drink offered contained very little alcohol. When we asked if we could get a double shot in a bloody mary, the waiter informed us that would cost additional money... which defeats the whole purpose of a fixed price. Our party of four left disappointed and water-logged. I can't recommend this place over the multiple establishments that serve brunch cocktails at the appropriate ratios of alcohol to mixer.
- Love Medium Rare!!JP422pDined on 3/29/2014Medium Rare is one of my favorite brunch restaurants. They have a perfect menu and great service. I'm incredibly happy they decided to open the barracks row location for brunch on Saturdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!nicholjoDined on 3/27/2014Medium Rare was a great restaurant. The food was awesome, especially the ice cream sundae for desert! I would go back for another special occasion!Special Features:
- Can't beat the price/concept!ChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 3/26/2014The steaks were cooked as requested, the frites were spot on, and the sauce is excellent. Service was great, but wine list could use some help. I'll be back for sure. Great to have it on Barracks Row.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/20/2014Remember before booking that there is one menu option only-grilled sliced flank steak. That's it. No chicken, fish or other choices. Just delicious bread, a great salad, and thin sliced flank steak with some of the best French fries ever and their special gravy. Didn't know this before we went but luckily we all eat beef. Seconds are on the house. Wine list very solid. Desserts great- KeyLine pie was the best. Friendly efficient service and a great neighborhood restaurant vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2014We ate at Medium Rare to celebrate our 2nd anniversary on St. Patricks Day. The food was outstanding, it was one of the best steaks we've had in a very long time. The service was great as well. They had limited bar so we were slightly disappointed that we couldn't get the drinks that we wanted. Overall, I would highly recommend this place to eat at.Special Features:
- Great IdeaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2014Thought the food was great and the menu is a novel and fun idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value for the priceJimHVIPDined on 3/9/2014A good steak (the only entree on the menu) well prepared for $20 (with salad and fries) is a wonderful value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Bottomless, so Close EnoughAshleydDined on 3/9/2014I took my sister for her birthday brunch and we had an ok time. It wasn't anything to write home about, but it also wasn't a bad time & I have no complaints. I love the price for the amount of food and bottomless drinks, bottomless usually = pricey. That aside, I wish that they had more options. Not on the menu as a whole, but on things like eggs or the steak/mushrooms on the eggs benedict (premade so can't separate steak and mushrooms). They can make eggs two ways, scrambled hard, or poached extra runny (they use a machine & can only cook to one temp). I like my eggs poached to just pass runny, so I was a little disappointed, but the steak frites entree was good. For price, it's a good bet, but there are other places equal if not betterSpecial Features:
- Ok food, bad service.KristinDined on 3/9/2014I was looking forward to brunch here because I love the normal dinner and heard about their brunch special. Overall, it was nothing to write home about. The eggs Benedict were very salty and the bread was completely soggy by the time it arrived. The fries were as always outstanding, and the yogurt parfait was great. Maybe I should have gone with steak and eggs. Was looking forward to the bottomless mimosas, but the orange juice had too much pulp for my liking. Also, the service was extremely slow, we ended up asking for more drinks from the manager when he did his routine check on our table. Even then, I never got my screwdriver I ordered so I stuck to more mimosas until the waiter came around again.Special Features:
- Best brunch on the hillTomasVIPDined on 3/9/2014If you like steak for brunch or simply want the best french toast anywhere, I highly recommend Medium Rare at a great price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ConceptTheFritalianVIPDined on 3/4/2014For $19.75, I'm not sure you get a better or more delicious meal! I love the concept of Medium Rare; steak frites fixed menu. Here, you'll get delicious artisan bread, a fresh, delicious starter salad that is one of the better ones I have had, and 2 helpings of their steak frites with their special sauce. I now need the special sauce in my life. I want it on everything! And while we didn't indulge in dessert ($8 each) they looked HUGE and amazing! Definitely wouldn't recommend this to vegetarians, but its a great deal with delicious food and wonderful service! I will definitely be returning to Medium Rare.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchDominoDined on 3/2/2014We visited Medium Rare for Sunday brunch. Having been to the Cleveland Park one, we knew we were in for a good time with great food to boot. Can't beat a delicious brunch, bottomless mimosas, and a nice relaxing atmosphere. So glad they have a location at Barracks Row now! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad EggsKrissyDined on 3/2/2014Poached eggs were overcooked. Scrambled eggs were extremely runny and undercooked. I learned that they are all cooked in batches and the eggs are not made to order...The mimosas were mostly orange juice with thick pulp. Not the best brunch experience. However the service was very good. The steak was good as well.
- Nice atmosphereJazzieDined on 2/25/2014The General Manager and Paulos were great. I was met with a smile (Paulos). He remained very attentive throughout my dining. The General Manager was the same. I am planning to go back for their Sunday brunch. The food was great along with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak frites not to my tasteBrookseyDCVIPDined on 2/23/2014Steak frites salad is one of my favorite meals. Hot bread was nice, salad was OK, but, prefer salad served with my steak, frites, salad. Frites were fine, steak (no choice on cut) was OK if smothered in their special secret sauce. Wine and cocktails were overpriced, everything was very rushed, dinner from seating to finish in just over 35 minutes (although there was no lack of open tables), the place is noisy with loud music and little atmosphere. I see no reason to return in a hurry, the menu is too restricted, the food OK, but, the overall dining experience is not worth the final check price. There are much better places to eat on the Hill, although can't fault their very fast food service (if that is what you are looking for).
- Great findMDchickDined on 2/18/2014What a great little getaway for a great price! With a pri fix menu, you get the bread, salad and steak & fries. Then, they come back and refill your steak and fries portion. Our waiter was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected DelightJChristineVIPDined on 2/17/2014My Boyfriend and I were on the hunt for a late night spot to have some food and unwind from a very long day. The atmosphere was quiet and beautiful, without being overly stuffy. The wait staff/owners were very attentive but weren't too bothersome. Which is ALWAYS ideal when your dining. We were informed that there was a prefixed menu, so there was no need to order. The menu was simple but kinda perfect. Salad, steak & french fries. The secret sauce was amazing, The steak was very tender and juicy. Desert, we shared the apple pie a la mode, which was great. Literally just an all around fantastic evening and a fantastic find. Please go. You won't be disappointed. I just made reservations for brunch. Super excited to go back to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelming brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/16/2014Medium Rare is good and their dinner menu can be great, but the brunch we had wasn't up to their usual standard. My friend and I both ordered steak and eggs and were rather disappointed. For a place that prides itself on its meat, the dish was very pedestrian. Steak was thin and not very tender and the eggs weren't well seasoned. Service was OK, but my bottomless mimosa reached its bottom too many times. Finally, it was just very loud in the restaurant and made it difficult to have a conversation. *I will say that the french toast that people around us got looked awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch just so so..DwigeeDined on 2/16/2014I've been to the Cleveland park location and loved the food. I was excited to learn that a Medium rare was opening up in my neighborhood and that they also served brunch. Unfortunately I wasn't thrilled with my brunch and neither were my friends (we all had different dishes). The eggs were a bit odd and the steak wasn't as great as I've had for dinner. The unlimited mimosas were great and well balanced (many places either put too much champagne or too much orange juice). I'll return for dinner but may have to give them a pass as a brunch option.Special Features:
- Elegant and SimpleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014I went with my girlfriend for Valentines Day and we had a great time. It was very loud and crowded, which isn't surprising given the day, but we could still keep up a conversation. The food itself was very good, the steak was prepared exactly as requested and the sauce that came with is was fantastic. I had two complaints though. The first is we felt a bit rushed there wasn't really time to relax. The second, is their strategy of serving you half your steak and frites initially to keep the other half warm while you ate, didn't really work out. When the waiter brought the second part of our meal, it was pretty cold. Otherwise, definitely worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant addition to 8th St SEDCPeteDined on 2/14/2014Went here for a Valentine's Day Dinner and was glad I did. Menu was Pre-Fixed and awesome! The steak was great and the Chocolate cake for dessert was insanely good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One meal done rightDocBigDined on 2/14/2014I was truly impressed with the fact this place had one menu and nothing more , yet the place was packed. The meal paired with a nice IPA was just the ticket to a wonderful date night with my wife. I find myself 4 days later still raving abou his place you have defiantly managed to gain me as a repeat customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top of the linecaphill16Dined on 2/14/2014have been to the NW Uptown location a few times, very happy to see them open on the hill. Great food - simple menu - great delivery. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find!NomatterDined on 2/14/2014Went here for valentines dinner. Easy access & exit for us northern Virginia people. Food great, Service excellent (Sean). Very friendly staff, love that we didn't have to make any dinner choices. Great night! Don't miss this one.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, too crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/14/2014I love Medium Rare in NW, and was happy that one opened in Eastern Market. My only significant complaint is that they packed the tables in so tight that we had tables on either side of us, probably a foot from us. They definitely pushed the limit of capacity for a good dining environment. The food was great, good price, and the service was efficient as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All about the special sauceBrinazDined on 2/9/2014We've gone twice so far. Once for brunch and once for dinner. Each time we are already discussing what we're going to order next time we go back. Service is quick and efficient. Food is excellent. Ambiance is nice and casual. They also make a bangin' Bloody Mary. Will definitely go back soon. I'm determined to save room for the gigantic hunk of carrot cake that they serve next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.