29 Hudson Road
Sudbury, MA 01776Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://29sudbury.com/
- Phone: 9784431700x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 29 Sudbury
We offer a wide selection of Modern American food, with Italian influence. Any of our menu selections can be prepared by our chef Gluten free. Whenever possible, we use locally sourced food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
29 Sudbury reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)great for outdoor dining (35)fit for foodies (31)good for groups (23)special occasion (21)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (10)great for lunch (10)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (4)romantic (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great food - slow servicelove2danceDined on 6/16/2014Went with a group for lunch. The food was delicious but the service extraordinarily slow. We waited almost 1/2 hour to get our meals. Dining outside was lovely except for the almost constant noise from delivery trucks in the parking lot and sirens from emergency vehicles driving by. I would possibly give it another chance - sitting inside when there is more time to spare. Not a place to go for a "quick lunch".
- good but not greatGirlsdinnerDined on 6/15/2014We have eaten at 29 Sudbury about a half dozen times and will keep on going back due to convenience, and it is definitely a fun place to go. But the prices are high for the quality (Sunday night we got the porterhouse special for $39 and it was not worth it) so we in the future will stick to the flatbread pizzas, burgers and pasta, which are excellent.Special Features:
- Nice, but not worth the pricebkjemstDined on 6/10/2014I'd never been before, so I had no idea what to expect. The restaurant and bar area were attractive. The place was pretty busy for a Tuesday night. The service was excellent. The food was okay, but definitely not worth the price tag. We all had 1 drink and dinner and it wads $45/each, which I found to be pretty costly for what it was. My chicken was on the dry side and definitely not worth $27. My friends' swordfish over risotto was cold and had to be sent back. I might return if invited, or whatever, but I wouldn't run back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealTookiewiseDined on 6/7/2014We ate outside for one of the first warm nights of the summer. We requested outdoor seating when making the reservation and they were able to accomodate us easily. Our only complaint is that we were outside but it was kind of like sitting in the parking lot. Upstairs outside would probably be better. The food and service was excellent; it came promptly and was a good value compared to some other area restaurants. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Convenient Sudbury RestaurantLocaltoBostonVIPDined on 6/7/2014Good restaurant-good choices. Convenient. I would eat here again or try take out. Sudbury has been in great need of a restaurant like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceJimMVIPDined on 6/6/2014First time at 29 Sudbury. Food and service were great. My only complaint is that the mixed drinks were really expensive. Stick with the wine and beer and you'll be happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014I went to dinner with 6 other mom's for a special night out and we were so disappointed! Our waiter was weird and creepy and paid no attention to us. When I confronted about him coming over to take our order, he was very rude. The flatbread was salty and the rest of the staff was not friendly at all. We had to run around trying to find other waitstaff to help us, but no one seemed interested.
- First time, will come backfrankgVIPDined on 5/31/2014This was our first but won't be our last visit to 29 Sudbury. My wife had the pizza with ribs, loved it; my scallops were excellent. Our waiter Kyle was over the top first class. Energetic, friendly and very helpful. I like the restaurant very much.Special Features:
- Good & solidOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2014Not a great experience, but good enough that I'd try it againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great...Service horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2014My husband brought me to 29Sudbury for my 33rd birthday. The food was great, but the service was terrible. We had a waitress that was training that we saw 1 time. She was great, but never came back to our table. The waitress that was training her was sweet, but never offered to refill our waters or wine/alcohol. The food was a wait, but worth it, as it was delicious. The hostess was rude on two occasions coming and taking our extra chairs, only to bring that back moments later. An establishment like this should have extra chairs and not be having to interrupt on numerous occasions to meet the needs of another table. You can have great food, but if the front line is lacking people won't return.
- The following 93 reviews are from the 29 Sudbury reviews archive.
- 29 Sudbury for dinnerdiningthoughtsDined on 5/24/2014The meal was very good and the atmosphere was fine. Just two suggestions for improvements: Tell the wait staff to stop hovering and expand the beer selections to include some darker, unfiltered options. I felt rushed by the waiters from the minute we sat down. We were asked about drinks before we really had time to look at the beverage selections. Later as we finished eating, a waiter was there instantly to remove the plates. It was like they were in a hurry to get us out of there. Regarding the beer selection ,given all of the great craft and microbrews available these days, the offerings at 29 Sudbury were inadequate. Darker brews were almost nonexistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redemption!BostonFoodieVIPDined on 5/23/2014We decided to give 29 Sudbury a second chance after our first experience, while not terrible, didn't leave us wanting to come rushing back. Complete turnaround! Our waiter (Stephen) was great and attentive, despite clearly having several tables, and we never felt like he forgot us. We had the mussels, which were delicious and cooked perfectly. I had the pork-which was outstanding, and my husband ordered the swordfish, which is strange for him- but Stephen sold it, and my husband wasn't disappointed. All and all we were really happy with our experience, and we will be back. Kudos to the staff at 29 Sudbury for taking some of the not so great reviews to heart and making changes!Special Features:
- Lunch with workmatesTrishaDined on 5/22/2014We enjoyed our lunch break at 29 Sudbury. First time there will definitely return. Good food, good service, good prices, good location!Special Features:
- Good foodsmp928Dined on 5/17/2014The food was pretty good. The arugula salad was a bit dry, needs more flavors in it so I wasn't thrilled with that but the artichoke flat bread/pizza was delicious. I look forward to going back. The place also could use some additional decor as there doesn't seem to be a real ambiance and you can't really tell where the front door is when you walk in - the hostess stand is at what might appear as the back of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Surprise in SudburyHudsontravelersVIPDined on 5/16/2014This was our first visit to 29 Sudbury and we were pleasantly surprised. It was not as noisy as others had reported and the service was excellent. When one of our orders came out not as we had requested, the staff was apologetic and made the situation right. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Surprise78thbirthdayDined on 5/13/2014I mentioned a birthday and dessert was deleted from the bill. A thoughtful gesture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JuanDined on 5/12/2014Good food, great menu and selections. Wait staff made sure we were taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't book onlineAnnie3catsDined on 5/12/2014We didn't get to eat here because they didn't have our reservation via Open Table. The restaurant was closed for a private wake.
- Lovely Lunch LocationGrappaGranDined on 5/12/2014Two friends and I had lunch at 29 Sudbury this past Monday. None of us had been there before. Our waiter was attentive but not overly so and we were able to linger without feeling rushed. We all ordered salads. I had the spiced tuna, as did one friend, the other had the grilled salmon. We all commented on how delicious they were. The fish was perfectly cooked and seasoned and the mixture of salad greens and other ingredients was delicious. We did not partake, but the cocktail list looked very interesting. We all hope to return for dinner very soon with our spouses.Special Features:
- Mother's day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014I have dined here before and been completely satisfied. Our experience this mother's day was less than perfect. Perhaps the mother's day crowd through the chefs a bit. Salmon was over cooked and creme brulee was eggy. Otherwise it was fine.Special Features:
- DissappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014So disappointed was looking forward to a great dining experience the food was delicious however we were seated at 2:40pm and our meals were not serveded till 4pm they kept apologizing that it was there 1st Mother's Day however we were the only diners inside and since it was a warm day the outside was mobbed and it seemed that that drew attention away from the few inside probably will never go back despite the 50 gift certificate we event stayed an additional 30 minutes for our complimentary desert but that never showed up either too bad great location and ambience but they need to get it togetherqSpecial Features:
- SadieSadieLVIPDined on 5/11/2014We live in the neighborhood and have been 3 times. The food is good, but the service is always really terrible and seems to be an issue with the kitchen, not the waitstaff. We waited at least 45 minutes for our food on Mother's Day and it wasn't even busy yet when we got there. Then, after requesting our check, we waited a long time again. We were there a total of about 2 hours for brunch.Special Features:
- great food slow servicebethVIPDined on 5/9/2014The food is always extremely delicious...the service is always too slow and the staff often forgets that patrons are even there. A hostess seated us but no wait staff came. We had to get our own water from the bar. We had to get our own drinks from the bar. Finally a server came but never came back after dinner was finally served to ask if we needed anything. We had to get our second drink from the bar on our own. Not the first time this has happened. Kuddos to the chef, shame on training.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting oldGramadgeDined on 5/9/2014First table was too close to bar and music. They cheerfully took us upstairs. Much better. The beef carpaccio was generous and delicious, and the cucumber salad huge. The swordfish was perfectly prepared although I felt the brown butter risotto had too much butter. The waiter was very attentive and made certain the steak was prepared to our taste. Good friends and good food. Just wish there was a quiet corner. Have to come back and see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMAMangerDined on 5/9/2014We have been wanting to try No29 for a while, and wow, it was great. We are GLAD we went upstairs to check out the second dining room; it is a far cry from the industrial, noisy downstairs. Will go for the "booth" next time. And the food was outstanding. Best of all, it came out piping hot! Service petered out as they got busier, even though there were plenty of people running around taking orders and delivering food (they use the team approach). Still won't keep us from going back.Special Features:
- My socks are still onnorthwestpassageDined on 5/6/2014The pizza quattro funghi was a wow; everything else was so-so .... seafood risotto, beef rib, salads, creme brule. Good but not great. If you limit expectations to casual, upscale pizza and some nice wine, you can be happy. If you want wow dining in the western suburbs, try Bondir in Concord or Sprigs in Acton.
- Not rushing backOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/3/2014First the good. Food was very good. We split the artichoke app and had swordfish and linguine asparagus entree and flourless chocolate cake for dessert. Server was very good but the kitchen took 1 1/2 hours for our entree and he kept apologizing--not his fault. We sat down at 7:45 and left at 9:45. We suspect that no manager was on duty because there were Christmas Carols playing during dinner--it was Derby day. It was noisy. They do a big bar business. It would be great fun with a group, but this is off our date night list. Too bad because we are local.
- Happy BirthdayGramadgeDined on 5/2/2014When called to confirm my reservation, I prepaid as a surprise birthday present for my daughter. The restaurant did a great job. They had a wonderful evening with delicious food and friendly service and a surprise dessert at the end. It was a special night out w Nana babysitting the twins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OmnomnomDined on 4/27/2014First saw on Phantom Gourmet few months ago and wanted to check it out. Went on a Sunday night after we both worked and didn't feel like cooking dinner. We were in the mood for warm, comfort food and that's exactly what we got! Sat at the bar, bartender was really friendly. Ordered the antipasto for an app and was delicious and good portion. For dinner, I had the orrechiette with Italian sausage and he had short ribs. Both were AMAZING. We were gluttonous and basically liked our plates clean.... And then got dessert. Not one thing we didn't like. Great beer and wine selection too. Can't wait to go back again when it's warm and sit on the patio. I would recommend to everyone!Special Features:
- Great dinner!MomofboysDined on 4/23/2014Went to dinner for a girls night out. Food and service was excellent! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Easter BrunchTMG1VIPDined on 4/20/2014I had a wonderful asparagus, goat cheese frittata. My husband had eggs Benadict with short ribs instead od ham. It was wonderfully decadent! My sons enjoyed the light & cinnamon flavored French toast. The whole brunch was lovely and delicious!Special Features:
- Great Easter Brunch!FrogmanDined on 4/20/2014We had an Easter brunch with family and everything was fantastic! The service was excellent and the food was great! There were 3 generations at the table and everyone loved it.Special Features:
- Wanted to love it, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014We wanted to love our night out at 29 Sudbury, unfortunately it wasn't the experience we were hoping for. It's a nice looking restaurant upstairs and down with two great bars. The food was great but the service was disappointing. Our waitress was a young girl who had to keep coming back to ask us what we ordered. She brought me a glass of white wine when I ordered a Cabernet. For the amount of money this place charges I would expect the servers to be older and more professional. Finally someone called me earlier in the day to confirm the reservation and asked if there was a special occasion. When I mentioned my husband's birthday they informed me they would bring a piece a cake. The cake never showed and was never mentioned.Special Features:
- Good Food, Inattentive serviceSN52Dined on 4/6/201429 Sudbury has potential, but service issues will kill this restaurant. I live only five minutes away, but held off trying it because it had already earned a reputation for lousy service. The reputation is deserved. The food is good, and was delivered timely. We never saw our waiter again until we had to track him down to get the check. By then we were so aggravated that there was no chance of coffee or dessert. We saw him glance over a couple of times, but he made no effort to check on us. The food is also wildly overpriced, which might be more palatable if the service was better. If I'm going to pay those prices in Sudbury, I'm going to go to Bullfinch's, where the food AND the service are always excellent.
- Great food and experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014We had visited 29 Sudbury in early September 2013 and enjoyed ourselves. We had opportunity to go back this past weekend and had a fantastic time. The food was fresh and delicious. The staff was helpful. The place was buzzing. Feels like 29 Sudbury has hit their stride. We will be back!Special Features:
- Just good food - nothing moreSebagoLizzyDined on 4/4/2014We went to Sudbury 29 last Friday night because we live nearby and figured we should know what it offers. We were disappointed. Seated upstairs, in a rather charmless room, where oddly the tables are too far apart, the drop ceiling, nondescript artwork added to the sense that there was nothing but the food to enjoy at this restaurant. And while the food was good, I'd say each item was a bit over priced. I had salmon, with sautéed spinach and beet puree for about $25 and it could easily be a dish for less at many local restaurants. Maybe, just maybe we would go back for a drink and an appetizer sometime as the bar looked like the most inviting part of the place.
- An Absolute Gem Outside of BostonDTR14Dined on 3/29/2014This restaraunt was excellent to say the least, Food was amazing, sevice fantastic and value was unbelievable. A real gem.Special Features:
- Great striped bassBillVIPDined on 3/28/2014We had another terrific meal. The striped bass was excellent. It wasn't inexpensive, but absolutely worth it. Our only issue was with the linguine with asparagus entree–just the stalks were used. What happened to the top parts of the asparagus?!
- Nice addition to SudburyTonyBVIPDined on 3/27/2014We have been to 29 Sudbury several times -- the food is always outstanding, the service very attentive and friendly, and, even though it is a little pricey, a much needed addition to the Sudbury restaurant scene.Special Features:
- so glad we came backloveeatingoutDined on 3/22/2014We had been to 29 Sudbury a couple of weeks after it opened and had a lousy experience- food was not good, especially at those prices, service was terrible, we were seated downstairs so literally could not have a conversation, etc. We decided to wait a while and try again, and it was definitely the right decision. The prices haven't changed but everything else has. The food was terrific, definitely equivalent to a top restaurant in Boston and the service was exceptional. We had a fantastic dinner, were seated upstairs so it was quiet enough to talk, and will definitely become regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.