The French Laundry
6640 Washington Street
Yountville, CA 94599Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The French Laundry
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.frenchlaundry.com/
- Phone: 7079442380x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 1:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Thomas Keller is the Owner/Chef
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The French Laundry Restaurant can accommodate private parties of 8-12 guests in our Private Dining Room or a facility rental for up to 62 guests. Private parties can be reserved up to one year in advance.
- Private Party Contact: Amali Svien 7079442380x
A word from The French Laundry
Built in 1890 as a French Steam Laundry, this rustic two-story stone house is surrounded by a country garden planted with vintage roses, perennials and seasonal herbs. The French Laundry Restaurant has an intimate dining room with 17 tables. The dining time is 3-4 hours with two prix-fixe menus to choose from. Reservations are taken two months in advance to the calendar date (i.e. Reservations for April 1st are taken February 1st).Continued
Jackets are required for gentlemen, although ties are optional. We also ask that no one wears tennis shoes, shorts or t-shirts in the dining room.
Jackets are required for gentlemen, although ties are optional. We also ask that no one wears tennis shoes, shorts or t-shirts in the dining room.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The French Laundry - Best Restaurants in Yountville ›
The French Laundry reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)special occasion (37)notable wine list (31)romantic (27)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (3)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Exceeded All ExpectationsWitproDined on 3/1/2014Went to the French Laundry for my husbands 64th birthday with my brother and his wife. We were treated like royalty. I had the vegetable tasting menu and everyone else had the regular menu. We also had the truffle supplements - exquisite. The courses built on each other, with each successive course more lovely. I would go here for the dessert courses alone. The "Coffee and Donuts" semifreddo was outstanding. The take home cookies and chocolates, along with the personalized menus were wonderful reminders of a remarkable experience. Truly a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complete experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014One of my passions is dining out at restaurants. I invited 2 guests and didn't look at the prices ... Wow When I saw it, I knew two things - this would be the most expensive alcohol free lunch of my life and 2) if be paying for all 4 of us. For people who don't know it's $295 per person without WINE. It was a once in a lifetime type experience and I'd recommend it. It was voted the top restaurant in the US 2003 & 2004. Plan on 4 hours ... Menu and price is same for lunch / Dinner. Lunch is only Friday, Sat, Sunday. If it's special occasion tell them ahead of time. I won't spoil the suprise but they have a classy little touch for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honoring Our Special GuestsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2014When hosting guests of renown and you desire to honor them at the highest personal level, then the French Laundry assures you that you have chosen the best. It is a terrific place for your most honored guests.Special Features:
- superb experience as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/25/2014I have been to TFL numerous times now and each time I'm astounded by the level of knowledge with the food they're serving, great wine list and SUPERB service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/24/2014raelly enjoyed it great service, excellent food, good vibe only negatrive thing i can say was the wine service. the first bottle ordered was opened in cellar- totally unacceptable. second bottle was served to the last drop - with all sedimentsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once in a life time experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/21/2014I have to say if you could afford it, go for it. It is once in a life time experience. I love it, but couldn't afford doing it again. Our bill for lunch was $900. The most expensive lunch I ever ate. Service was great. Food presentation, quality, and temperature were just absolutely right. I would like the desserts be couple tasting lesser and add more options in different types of meats like duck or pork. We had a wonderful time. When my daughter grows up to be a young lady, we will bring her back for the experience. But as far as now, we'll need to keep on working to pay off this bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWLeeGB123Dined on 2/19/2014The most amazing dining experience of my entire life!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingAnnaDined on 2/16/2014This was definitely the best dining experience I've had! My boyfriend and I went here to celebrate my birthday and it was simply amazing. The food was excellent and the service was impeccable! The wine list was extensive but it really boils down to the food--high quality, innovative, great presentation and portion size. Everything was just perfect! I would come back in a heartbeat! Will definitely visit again next time I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence PersonifiedKEddieVIPDined on 2/13/2014Doesn't get much better than The French Laundry. Definitely a bucket list experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceDonnaDined on 2/12/2014I am a huge fan of Thomas Keller but had a disappointing experience. This review is to provide constructive feedback. The food was not very flavorful or memorable. Even the truffles we ordered did not seem to have the normal truffle flavor. We were a party of 4, so it was not just someone's taste buds being off. We were disappointed we suggested FL for our friends. The waiter was not professional and even brought us the wrong bill at the end of the meal which was obviously for a much larger party and much higher than our bill should have been. We were shocked to see this bill and the waiter did not seem to care that this happened. Then he only brought us a credit card ticket with no itemized bill for our meal.
- Good - but maybe not the best?OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/5/2014Overall, I really enjoyed my experience at the French Laundry; however, compared to a couple of other restaurants in the Bay Area (e.g. Saison and Manresa), the food wasn't cutting edge - it was definitely good and enjoyable; however, I expected more for all the reviews and accolades it's received. The service was great, and I enjoyed the cozy feel of the restaurant. For the price I paid, however, I've experienced much better, and more interesting cuisine for around the same price or less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class dining experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/4/2014World class dining experience, excellent food and service. Exquisite restaurant. This is a must for those who love their food and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We tried the chefs menu andVardellDined on 2/4/2014We tried the chefs menu and the vegetarian menu. Both were well worth the price. Our waiter, Guillaum, made the evening ever so enjoyable. It is pricey, but we checked it off our bucket list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSueGDined on 2/3/2014We took mom for her 76th birthday- it's been on her bucket list for quite some time. To say that it was an experience she (or I ) won't forget is an understatement. The service was top notch and the food was incredible. They were very accommodating, even when I wanted some items from the vegetarian tasting and some from the carnivore tasting menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdayTeamFunDined on 2/2/2014We had a delghtful lunch on a rainy day...all elements were wonderful...fun and helpful team made for perfect 3 hour lunch! Better than I expected...one treat after another...thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After successfully negotiatingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/31/2014After successfully negotiating the ridiculous table reservation process, we looked forward to a lunch at the French Laundry. The service was flawless and gracious. The food was a mixture of great and disappointing. There were too many optional $100 supplements for a menu already priced at $295 per diner. Some of the dishes were very tasty, but others a bit disappointing. Our bottom line was that we did not feel the place quite deserved the accolades it receives. The wine list is extensive and quite good, but the wine markups are really obscene. Overall, even for someone not afraid to spend big for a special meal, the place just doesn't pass the sniff test on the value scale, and the food itself is a mixed bag of results.Special Features:
- Good but not greatfoodloverDined on 1/29/2014We expected everything to be exceptional, even the bread and butter. Well, their bread and butter were indeed excellent, but some of the entree were sub par. On their signature dish "Oyster and Pearl", I loved their poached oysters but not the caviar that was served along side. The caviar made the whole dish too salty. Their 'Filet of Japanese Medai" was just ordinary and maybe a little overcooked. We have eaten a lot of other fish dishes better than that. Their 'Herb-Roasted Veal' was disappointing. Veal by its nature has very little flavor unlike aged steak, so it requires an exceptional sauce to make it taste good, but the sauce that accompany this veal dish was too salty and had no other unique flavor. Their desserts were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overrated and expensive. forOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/28/2014overrated and expensive. for a change of one of the items they charge extra $100 for a small piece of wagyu beef ridiculous will not be going back.Special Features:
- PhenomenaljsyenVIPDined on 1/26/2014It lives up to it's impeccable reputation. It's serene surroundings, friendly and knowledgeable staff, along with their amazing menu create the perfect French Laundry experience. Definitely something to try in one's lifetime. They make everything extraordinary and execute it with perfection. They make it seem so simple but everything is done with such an attention to detail. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but not flawlessSFFoodieDined on 1/26/2014And flawless is what I would have expected from TFL. Several of the main courses were just off. The scallop was overcooked, the cheese course,l was basically a over cooked, overly greased, grilled cheese sandwich sliver. An odd choice given what had been served and what was about to come. Each desert course was fabulous. The service was wonderful.Special Features:
- Second Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2014A separate email will be sent voicing my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dessertMichelleDined on 1/24/2014Veg and dessert are yummy. Meat is just so so, I eat rabbit and lamp, a little disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm not going to go into minuteattempt92Dined on 1/23/2014I'm not going to go into minute detail about the food - it was wonderful. Just a few notes: 1. A table for 4 is much easier to obtain than a table for two. I had called and got a reservation for two. We later decided to get a table for four which I was able to book through Open Table. The seating was at 9:00 pm. About a week ahead of our reservation a 5:45 table for 4 opened and using Open Table I was switched to this seating. 2. Total cost for 4 people: $2000.00. This included 3 supplements ($275) and $300 for wine. The supplements we're worth the extra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExpectationssushkaDined on 1/20/2014This restaurant has developed a certain mystique around the difficulty of procuring a reservation, as if dining here is tantamount to an invitiation from an exclusive club. Thus, there is a tendency to eschew criticism in favor of adulation. That said, the food and service are truly excellent, with few missteps over the course of the evening. Nevertheless, we walked out of the restaurant mildly disappointed, partly due to unreal expectations, but also because the dining experience lacked the spontaneity and imagination we have associated with other highly regarded establishments. Most of the food platings were unimaginative and were not introduced in an appealing fashion by the staff, whose demeanor was more military than personable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Art on a plate again and againTrufflesDined on 1/18/2014Our lunch was beautiful, flavorful and extraordinary and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Thank you TomOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/16/2014.Every year I make a point to visit one of Tom Keller's restaurant. Every time it is more than I expected. We had an incredible wine selection to go with our food. I appreciate the classic cuisine and the incredible flavors of each dish. The desserts are always outstanding. The good thing also is that you never leave hungry...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything you thought it would be.CrisDined on 1/16/2014This is not a restaurant you arrive at by accident, so you generally have months and years to fantasize about the food, the experience, and the magic that is the, The French Laundry. If you have read the accompanying book like a novel, poured over the website, marveled at the menus, pondered the driving philosophy of the cuisine and envisioned yourself speechless by a single morsel, you will have all your wild dreams realized. This is the crowning of your inner culinary monarch. If you get the golden ticket, know that you will enjoy every moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/15/2014We dined here recently and had an amazing meal. Service was excellent. The food was incredible. The ambiance is very romantic with a cozy, French country feel. I recommend you do this at least once in your lifetime. It can get a little pricey…dinner starts at $295/person (includes service and non-alcoholic beverages) and our dinner for four came out to be $1600. However, it was well worth every penny and we will definitely be back the next time we are in Napa Valley!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply ImpecableOnceAcookAlwaysAcookDined on 1/15/2014It was everything my hopes and dreams made it out to be, and more! Seeing as I have a tattoo based on an illustration out of the French Laundry cook book, I may be a bit biased. Hands down one of the most amazing experiences of my life.Special Features:
- Over Rated- Over PricedGlobalShawnDined on 1/9/2014Everything in the restaurant is OK, but nothing close to the reputation it once had. Most everything is mediocre to good. There is an uncomfortable push to leave so they can turn the table to the next customer. Wine list is particularly a big rip off. This place is way over rated and over priced.
- Had been waitingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/8/2014We had been waiting to dine here for some time and were somewhat disappointed. Maybe ppl make things out to be more than they should in their heads but this did not live up to 3 Michelin stars for us. Execution of dishes was there but several did not seem to grab my attention the way Robuchon or Ducasse have. The service was completely impersonal and the girl that brought the dishes seemed so disengaged and walked away before finishing what should have been a description that illustrated the hard work coming from the kitchen but instead was so oversimplified it was insulting. It is not to say this isn't a great restaurant just not near the best restaurant in the country. It hurts to say this because I wanted it to be.Special Features:
- Elegant food!ChefKevinDined on 1/5/2014The French Laundry requires a 2 months in advance rsvp. I think it is worth the wait. I love the food and the service that was provided here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but not perfectEatPastaVIPDined on 12/31/2013We had the pleasure to try the 10 course holiday meal on New Year's eve 12/31/2013. The price was a bit more than usual ($550 per person, service included, tax not included) and of course, wine was additional. Each course was delivered to the table and the server cited the main ingredients. I think FL service was very good.The food presentation was very nice. We liked all but the Andante Dairy "Legato" dish. We disliked the cheese which was the centerpiece of the dish. I love beef and eat rib-eye all the time so I was a bit surprised that the Herb-roasted rib-eye was a little tough. They serve the rib-eye cap which is normally the most tender piece of the rib-eye. It was nicely medium-rare but the texture seemed off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This meal was outstanding.worldtravelerDined on 12/31/2013This meal was outstanding. Every course was incredible. The only thing that might have been improved (but just barely) would be the desserts - they were very good but not quite on the same level as the rest of the meal. This restaurant is on par with top restaurants in Paris (and we live in Europe and eat a lot in Paris).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as we recalled....eatAnythingVIPDined on 12/31/2013This was our second time dining here and we were looking forward to the special menu they were offering for New Year's Eve. After dining with them the first time, we have been raving about their restaurant to everyone. This time, we returned with our two young children along so they could share the great experience we had been raving about. But perhaps we had built up too much of an expectation, Unfortunately, this was not a meal I had expected at all. Most of our dishes were overly salted and quite heavily creamed. Instead of Wagyu beef, we were served with Snake River Farm. Many of the dishes had black truffles in them, but it was so salty , we feel the truffles were included just for the sake of being there.
- Wonderful food. WonderfulZmLgwDined on 12/28/2013Wonderful food. Wonderful people and service. Always an exceptional and magical experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabalous food and great servicesiDecoDined on 12/23/2013Food portion are standard with fine dining scene but the number of dish and creativity input to them are so generous. It's no question about their worth to the price tag. This is really a must-try for every foodies if you can save some to afford it. I'm very sure that everyone who said it's crazy price tag and do not try there never been there before and very skeptical. So, please try and let your palate do the job.Special Features:
- A fun experienceVegFoodie4lifeDined on 12/20/2013I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and it was a really fun experience. It was the best service you can imagine, no pretentiousness, and the food was delicious. He and I agreed that the best part were the house are sodas. You'll never have a soda served the same way anywhere else (and they tasted SO good!). My boyfriend is also allergic to seafood, nuts, and personally does not enjoy the taste of mushrooms. The menu was full of those ingredients and they accomadated him wonderfully. I am a vegetarian and the Vegetables Tasting menu was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a dining experienceBirthdayGirlDined on 12/17/2013Although very expensive, it was worth every penny to celebrate a special occasion. It was not only a meal, it was a dining experience. You will not go away hungry or disappointed. Food was delicious and staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. Ask for a tour of the kitchen on your way out. They will also give you a copy of your menu so you can remember what you had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Birthday!SilviaDined on 12/15/2013Whatever you hear about The French Laundry don't take as a consideration. You will only know what French Laundry is all about after YOU experience it yourself. If you are used to good food and good price, don't go there. The restaurant is an experience that you will not forget, the flavor, the presentation of each course, the service and the ambient is just the best you can get. You may say it's way to over price for the food, IT'S NOT ABOUT THE PRICE OF THE FOOD, IT'S ABOUT THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE. I will definitely come back as i will do it to the Dinner at the Garden of The French Laundry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.