1110 Vermont Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.miorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2029550075x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Bar menu available from 2:30 to close
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Puerto Rican, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Roberto Hernandez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for catering questions.
- Entertainment: "Puerto Rico Fridays" are a staple, where an authentic Puerto Rican focused menu, including roasted suckling pig and "mofongo", is offered tableside, in addition to Mio's standing menu.
- Special Events: Mio offers a raised floor VIP area with complete A/V set up. Perfect for corporate and fund raising meetings and/or happy hours.
Please contact Francisca Iguina at Francisca@miorestaurant.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
- Cross Street: On the corner of L Street between 14th & 15th Streets
- Public Transit: McPherson Square - Orange and Blue line - (two blocks away) - exit to Vermont Avenue and Farragut North, Red line (4 blocks).
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Colonial Parking is conveniently located right next door to us. They offer valet in the evenings.
Also, there is plenty of street meter parking available.
A word from Mio Restaurant
Affectionately called the Embassy of Latin America in Washington, D.C., Mío has captured the hearts and palates of D.C.’s most influential Latin Americans and Washingtonians with a convivial table and “Cocina Abierta” (open kitchen) culture. Under the management and ownership of long time D.C. restaurateur, Manuel Iguina, and under Chef Roberto Hernandez seasoned expertise, Mío presents daily a unique menu from Latin America’s most influential cuisine capitals - a menu sophisticated in flavor yet true to its origins. In our kitchen all are welcome, the summers on the beach in the Caribbean, a Sunday parillada, the corner taquería, cevichería, lechonera and the arepera, all in one place. Just south of Thomas Circle, Mío also features modern American selections in a convivial atmosphere where customers are treated with Latin hospitality. Don't miss "Puerto Rico Fridays" - with a genuine roasted lechón and expanded Puerto Rican menu.Continued
¡La Cocina esta Abierta!
¡La Cocina esta Abierta!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mio Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)special occasion (38)great for outdoor dining (34)great for lunch (34)good for groups (33)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (25)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (17)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (11)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Excellent Food and ServiceStatProfDined on 3/6/2014I have eaten at Mio twice. Everything was terrific. This restaurant gets my highest recommendation!Special Features:
- Too much for too littleJeaneseDined on 3/1/2014Costs too high for a relative lack of quality food.$12 too much for kale salad. The red fish was too small. Too small empanadas and acappuerias and fish fritas. The chicken was perfect with pasta. I added the mojito sauce and made it amazing (husband did not like it; I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsWRodDined on 2/28/2014Been here at least once every 3 months since I first went and it is always a great outing. Although it's known mostly for its Puerto Rican fare (particularly the pig on Friday nights), it has a good fusion on different plates that keeps it interesting even if you've had the traditional dish before. A well established and experienced chef, nice bar service and a great restaurateur owner make this a truly enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muy Deliciosoleebles73VIPDined on 2/25/2014This is my third time going to Mio. The food and service are very consistent. The yucca fritos are so good - highly recommend. We both had the pork tenderloin with manchego with a wine reduction. It was good, but be cautioned - it was a bit on the salty side - probably the cheese or maybe they overseasoned the sauce and as it reduced, maybe it concentrated the salinity. At any rate, it was still a good dish. They have a happy hour lounge, which can get a bit loud and be heard in some parts of the dining room. But that is part of the ambiance.
- Wonderful MealGratefulDined on 2/17/2014Our experience with food and ambiance was positive, but the overall service provided by our server, Cynthia, made the visit to Mio extra pleasant and fun. She was great about giving us recommendations and very engaging in a pleasant way. We especially appreciated the calamari appetizer!Special Features:
- A little piece of heaven!AideDined on 2/15/2014We were greeted at the door by Manuel, the restaurant owner. His attention, friendliness and hospitality made us feel like we were visiting relatives. We were serenated with a beautiful bohemia. We ordered a Tempranillo 2011 and so the night began. The appetizers were flavorful and rich. For dinner, we ordered the vegan mofongo, bistec encebollado, calamares and a very tender pork loin covered in manchego and guava sauce. Daniela's service and attention to detail was an amazing addition to our visit. We met Giovanna on our way out and thanked her for a wonderful meal and we even took a picture with her. Thank you Manuel, Giovanna and staff for a little piece of heaven in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 8ExcellentVIPDined on 2/15/2014We had a party of eight on 2/15.. we delayed Valentine's for 1 day.. the food, service and ambiance were excellent. The combination of Manuel Aguina as owner and Giovanna as Chef can't be beat.. Kudos for a great Valentine'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic lunchlevyj413VIPDined on 2/14/2014My wife came down for lunch. I was looking for great tres leches cake, and Googled the best in DC. The reviews were right on target - it was fantastic. The rest of both our lunches was delicious, too: kale salad, steak sandwich, traditional Puerto Rican chicken dish (sort of like a stew with rice), and bread w/seasoned butter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointedVIPDined on 2/12/2014The decor was nice, but appeared depressed. The service was lackluster. The kale salad was the best. My wife meat dull and chewy. My red snapper perfect, but accompanied by a poorly made tomatoe sauce. It tasted straight from a can. Dulce de leche desert was tasteless, the waiter noticed that we did not eat it. His response, let me substitute it for something on the house. When we said no, he just brought us the check. Should have taken the dessert off the bill. I grew up in Puerto Rico, this was a poor sample of puertorican food. Not going back.Special Features:
- Mmm mmm mofongoNYfoodieDined on 2/11/2014The food is genuinely good and true to its Puerto Rican roots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not much for vegetarianssue2011Dined on 2/11/2014Was a little disappointed by the lack of vegetarian options on the entree menu. There are two salads on the starter menu but virtually nothing definitively vegetarian on the rest of the menu, save for a couple of offerings (pizza and risotto) that can be made veggie by replacement of veggies for meat. Will go back for happy hour (for convenience) but not likely for lunch.
- Small expensive brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/9/2014I'd been here for dinner and liked it and I wanted to try their brunch. I live 2 blocks away and walk by it everyday. I was really disappointed. My boyfriend ordered their guava and cream cheese stuffed French toast. For the price we assumed of would be a big dish with French toast. (Like the stuffed French toast at cafe dupont) Instead it was more like a small round sweet bun that was cut, put guava jam and cream cheese in the middle, and then put in a panini press. It was maybe 2inches in diameter and he ate it in a few bites. On the side were a few pieces of cut melon. Nothing particularly excited. The biggest thing on the plate was the pieces of lettuce used for garnish. For $18 I had expected much more. Definitely not going back.Special Features:
- AmazingMillerDined on 2/7/2014I loved the ambiance and food from Mio, this is the third time at still amazing. Friday Puertorican pork is to die for, and the mojitos..... wow. We had the tuna tartar and is fantastic. The steak and salmon dishes superb. The service is the best. Our server Cynthia did an amazing job, very friendly and knowledgeable of the menu and did great recommendations.... don't forget dessert, guava cheesecake and cheese flan...... amazing..... thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and incrediblebengm144Dined on 2/3/2014Great ambiance and incredible service. Clamari appetizer was fantastic. Entree fish was dry and low in flavor, plantain cakes were even drier and barely edible.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2014I was in DC visiting my brother and went here for Sunday brunch. I was super excited after learning the Chef Giovanna Huyke was the Executive Chef on this gem of modern Puerto Rican cuisine. Excellent Service. The promise of an excellent meal was fulfill; I had a Monte Cristo sandwich made in mallorca bread which took me back to my days in the island. My daughter had the chocolate panckakes, she loved them. My brother's medianoche sandwich with a sidd of eggs was also a big hit. I have to say that the typical Puerto Rican pastries are made at the restaurant by Chef Huyke herself. She came to our table and was simply a delight. Love this place. Can't wait to be back and take more mallorcas with me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love MioThaiMK66Dined on 2/1/2014This is a great blend of Puerto Rican and Peruvian! They do both really great! I love Mio. And, the staff and service are excellent!Special Features:
- Mio- Viva Puerto RicoBitriDined on 1/31/2014I have dined at Mio on at least five occasions and have always enjoyed the food. My experience this past Puerto Rican Friday was not as pleasant as usual. I found the "Lechon" and the "Chillo Frito" a bit bland. As a native Puerto Rican my standards for Puerto Rican food are quite high but I have no doubt that Chef Huyke and her team can meet and surpass my expectations. I will consider my experience last Friday a fluke and I hope to continue to enjoy the "comida sabrosa" (delicious food) I always receive at Mio Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisitie!MSA55Dined on 1/28/2014Such an enjoyable lunch! Our reservation was early (11:30), so the restaurant was quiet, but by the time we were done, the place was buzzing with many happy customers, all enjoying themselves. The staff was friendly, attentive, and efficient. The food was amazing: a small but varied menu, great presentations, and simply delicious. The express lunch is a great idea (pick one appetizer, one entre, one dessert). The look of the place is modern, clean, and appealing. Can't wiat to return for evening cocktails in their amazing lounge area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servings are Great for SharingCarmenDined on 1/24/2014We can't make up our minds as to what to order and the servings are very generous... so we share! The quality of the food is outstanding. The staff knows the menu by heart and is very well trained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing eveningTravelerDined on 1/24/2014I have patronized Mio's Restaurant several times over the past few years and the meals have always been fantastic until this dining experience. I and the other members of my party were disappointed with our dining experience on this occasion. The main dishes roast port with rice and Rockfish were bland. Even adding salt and pepper could not salvage the main dishes ordered. I left over have of my plate as well as the other members of my party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muy Bueno!!!JAMACDined on 1/17/2014Can you remember when you went to a restaurant and the sommelier recommended a lower priced wine than the ones you pointed out? It happened to us at Mio. That was part of an excellent dining experience. Seafood Stew, Duck al a risotto, and the most interesting Veal Lasagna build on plantains. We'd recommend all of them. Waiter was helpful with recommendations and they gave us just the right amount of attention. Great way to celebrate a friend's birthday. We had 2 folks who are gluten free dinners and there was plenty to choose from or they were willing to make substitutes.Special Features:
- This was my favorite placeStephenDined on 1/16/2014This was my favorite place I went to during Restaurant Week. The service was wonderful and the food was delicious. An absolute success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!SWB1VIPDined on 1/15/2014Food was superb...more or less authentic versions of PR food with high end ingredients. Mojitos and margaritas use all fresh ingredients and are great. Nice vibe, good friendly service and loud....really, really loud. If you don't mind shouting to your guest, this is a very nice option and highly recommended.Special Features:
- Best Latin restaurant in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/15/2014Chef Giovanna Huyke, is wonderful. The food was excellent. Best Latin restaurant in DCSpecial Features:
- Great for lunch - and likely more..Ron3405VIPDined on 1/15/2014I had a great lunch at Mio - the menu was terrific, the flavors were excellent, the service was perfect, and prices were good - so a great lunch in every way. I did not see the dinner menu so I can't tell you about eating at other times, but I would assume that the experience would be very similar.Special Features:
- Great Food and DrinkEllenDined on 1/14/2014We had a wonderful meal at Mio, starting with Pisco Sours and serviche, and then a truly beautiful whole red snapper and some of the best duck breast I've had in a while. Starches, and the flan at the end, were a little heavy, but that was minor compared to the overall quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best DC Dinner and BoozeNotEasyToPleaseDined on 1/14/2014Mio is my #$1 spot in DC. Go there every time I get back to our nation's capital. The service is fun, yes fun, informative, and attentive. The food is delish with great flavors that make Mio unique. The house special drinks will have you wobbling out the door with a big smile. The menu is not setup for tapas, but if you ask nicely, you can order and eat like its a tapas bar. Highly recommended to bring your favorite fun people.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week Menu ChoicessoupiemacVIPDined on 1/14/2014My husband and I took advantage of the three course dinner options and had the chance to sample six wonderful selections. The crab & mufongo cakes and the red beans with fried plantain were both great starters. I thoroughly enjoyed the tuna and steak main dishes as well. I am not a huge dessert person, but I did like the lightness of the flan cake and was surprised by the hot chocolate option that reminded me of my campfire s'mores. The wine selection was pretty good and not overly high priced. The staff was very friendly and the service was quick. Overall, we had quite an enjoyable evening! I can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Always Great ..MeshaDined on 1/14/2014I work in the area and everytime a meeting is scheduled during lunch .. I frequesnt to Mio or a neighboring restaurant. I love the food, atmosphere and staff are very pleasant, friendly, and know the menu. I never encounted having a wait time when dining. I recommended this restaurant to my collegues and they love it as well. Keep up the good work! I wll be back very soon for another great dining experience. Thank YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what I needed...LovlatinfoodDined on 1/3/2014I grew up in Florida and ate latin food particularly from the Carribean on a daily basis. This is something you can't find much of in DC. Mio has added an upscale twist to it which made it more rewarding. The environment was classy, yet not stuffy, and the food was delicious. I look forward to returning but with additional people this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mio, MY!BobbyWorldDined on 12/28/20133rd time to this restaurant and each visit is better than the last. The food-terrific (like Mom makes). The service-excellent. Giovanna-a joy. She has come by the table each time. Not just to inquire about the meal, but also just to chat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The servers looked like theyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/23/2013The servers looked like they did not want to be there. Food was ok. Nothing special. Better off spending your money elsewhere.
- Great timeNoemiDined on 12/21/2013Enjoyed my dish - i had the vegetarian navy beans with yuca - it was very flavorful. MY husband had a steak dish which was okay. The bread and seasoned butter was so so good! The service at Mio is always REALLY great. This is my second time back and I enjoy it every-time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Latin GembeegVIPDined on 12/21/2013FANTASTIC food, there were 5 of us and all of our dishes were delicious One of the best service I have experience lately a must go if you like high Hispanic cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealShazamDined on 12/18/2013The food was delicious -- as expected and anticipated. I truly appreciated the extra care that the waiter provided in light of special dietary needs. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/16/2013The service is outstanding and the food is great. However, it's a bit noisy for a quiet romantic evening. So don't do the anniversary there, but eat there every other day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIOMikeDined on 12/11/2013restaurant was NOISY, so loud we could not speak with each other. Service was outstanding, food was mediocre
- I just to go back the second time!MACTVIPDined on 11/27/2013On my first visit, my friends and I loved the food so much that I decided to come back with my husband ;)Special Features:
- we'd go againOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/25/2013My husband and I prefer more quite, private dinners out, and as we made our reservation (easy to do online) for a Monday evening, we got just what we hoped for despite Mio's reputation of being more lively and loud. Mio's on Monday: was quiet, but not empty, and the staff was lovely - available, pleasant, and very willing to help when needed. As far as the food goes - the citrus glazed shrimp - was not my favorite, but my husband really enjoyed it. Favorite dishes were the steak and the flan. In the end, we both had a lovely time, felt it was worth the drive in from the NoVA suburbs, and we'd do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server was a little overzealousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2013Server was a little overzealous about up sells for food & drink, dessert of rum cake was underwhelming....wouldn't mind going back to try more things...worthy of a second chanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.