1110 Vermont Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.miorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2029550075x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Bar menu available from 2:30 to close
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Puerto Rican, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Roberto Hernandez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for catering questions.
- Entertainment: "Puerto Rico Fridays" are a staple, where an authentic Puerto Rican focused menu, including roasted suckling pig and "mofongo", is offered tableside, in addition to Mio's standing menu.
- Special Events: Mio offers a raised floor VIP area with complete A/V set up. Perfect for corporate and fund raising meetings and/or happy hours.
Please contact Francisca Iguina at Francisca@miorestaurant.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
- Cross Street: On the corner of L Street between 14th & 15th Streets
- Public Transit: McPherson Square - Orange and Blue line - (two blocks away) - exit to Vermont Avenue and Farragut North, Red line (4 blocks).
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Colonial Parking is conveniently located right next door to us. They offer valet in the evenings.
Also, there is plenty of street meter parking available.
A word from Mio Restaurant
Affectionately called the Embassy of Latin America in Washington, D.C., Mío has captured the hearts and palates of D.C.’s most influential Latin Americans and Washingtonians with a convivial table and “Cocina Abierta” (open kitchen) culture. Under the management and ownership of long time D.C. restaurateur, Manuel Iguina, and under Chef Roberto Hernandez seasoned expertise, Mío presents daily a unique menu from Latin America’s most influential cuisine capitals - a menu sophisticated in flavor yet true to its origins. In our kitchen all are welcome, the summers on the beach in the Caribbean, a Sunday parillada, the corner taquería, cevichería, lechonera and the arepera, all in one place. Just south of Thomas Circle, Mío also features modern American selections in a convivial atmosphere where customers are treated with Latin hospitality. Don't miss "Puerto Rico Fridays" - with a genuine roasted lechón and expanded Puerto Rican menu.Continued
¡La Cocina esta Abierta!
¡La Cocina esta Abierta!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mio Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)special occasion (36)great for lunch (32)good for groups (32)great for outdoor dining (31)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (23)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (17)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (11)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Very good all round experienceAlgourmetVIPDined on 6/10/2014This is a very good restaurant in all respects. Puerto Rican food at its best. The grilled fish on yucca mofongo was outstanding. Attentive and courteous service and elegant décor. It will not disappoint.Special Features:
- WOW!!!!ImpressedGusDined on 6/5/2014I was extremely impressed with the service and the food. Born and raised in Puerto Rico, I'm pretty peculiar about hispanic food and I can say that I love every single bite. The food was amazing and the service outstanding. We went there for lunch and left wanting to come back to try their dinner menu. Is definitely a place I would go back to eat again.Special Features:
- Just okayDisappointedVIPDined on 6/4/2014While my main course was really good, others at my table were not blown away. We were quite late and the waitress did not make me feel bad about it which I really appreciated. The rating says that the costs of the meal should be at $$ but it was extremely pricey for what we got. Don't know that I'd go back sadly unless I were just going for the asapao which I thought was really tasty.
- Good Food and Perfect Friday dinnerpalmtreeDined on 5/30/2014I had gone there for lunch and thought of it for dinner. I wanted a place with good energy and atmosphere and interesting menu. Mio fit the bill. Mio is a beautiful restaurant with different eating areas. There was a good selection of appetizers. We had the pan roasted calamari that was excellent. While fried calamari is always a sure bet, it was nice that they prepared it differently, and it was tasty. The fritters stuffed with crab were a slight disappointment, but not enough of a disappointment to stop eating them. We both ordered the whole fried red snapper. The presentation was superb and it was prepared very well. I enjoyed the sides that came with the snapper. Mio has a good beverage selection and love the mojitos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- latin food that needs more flavorFoodLoverPRDined on 5/23/2014Mio is a beautiful restaurant and the service is great! BUT when it comes down to food... it needs flavor. Puertorrican Lechon meat was a bit blend. Arroz con Gandules tasted like yellow rice and not to Gandules. We were there for Mofongo which traditionally is made out of plantains... Mio only offers yuca mofongo. The 1st 2 drinks we ordered during happy hour, were charged without the happy hour saving. So... my point is... got to make the food betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014My friend had the rockfish, I had the seafood soup, we had the calamari/mushroom appetizer and everything was sooo delicious! We sat outside on a beautiful day and caught up for the first time in months. The waiter was average, but I will say that he described the menu well and never pressured us to leave. We had a wonderful night, wonderful food and drinks and I would definitely return!Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious!NziKushDined on 5/23/2014Foodies would love this place. I know I did! I had business lunch meeting. Had the salmon and switched out the vegetables for the kale salad. We also had an appetizer that was also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2014My salmon, which was served on spinach and brussell sprouts was excellent. It was a beautiful day so we sat outside. The service was great. I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- BCDCDined on 5/22/2014A lovely experience from start to finish. Food was interesting and tasty. Service outstanding. Good wine selection. Pleasant outdoor setting. We will return as we are neighbors.Special Features:
- The following 922 reviews are from the Mio Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great Experience!CharleneVIPDined on 5/14/2014Simply great food and outstanding service at reasonable prices in a wonderful atmosphere...would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good business lunchdcmarkDined on 5/12/2014Great food-- amazing bread-- solid place for a good business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful and Fun. My go to placeAnaBananaDined on 5/11/2014Already made reservations for my 2nd. trip! Have also recommended MIO to several of my friends. My new go to place when I want to feel like I'm back in San Juan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OH MIO..NellyDined on 5/9/2014Love this place...I absolutely thought the food was delicious...Could not get enough. The Spicy Machu Pisco is amazing. However, the service for lunch was quite slow which is a huge deterrent when you have limited time.Special Features:
- Best meal in DCLynnDined on 5/7/2014My husband and I were in DC for a week, which meant 6 dinners out. We tried to set up a variety of reservations looking at the information and reviews provided on Open Table and Mio was one we selected. This ended up being the best meal we had all week! We even considered cancelling our reservation for the next night and going back! Delicious! If you have a chance, check them out! Also, plan to have dessert. Two were recommended to us, so we each had one and shared. They were outstanding!Special Features:
- RonRrrrVIPDined on 5/2/2014The food and service were good, but I will NEVER go back. This was one of the noisiest restaurants I have ever visited. By the time my wife and I left the restaurant, what was supposed to be a relaxing evening ended up as a miserable time. We both left tense and with headaches. After walking for about an hour around DC, we finally were able to relax and unwind. A restaurant should not result in more stress, which is precisely what Mio did. Clearly there are ways the restaurant can reduce noise, such as having a solid wall between the bar area and tables. But, the restaurant has chosen to keep noise at this unacceptable level. Too bad, because the food and service were good. But I will never return.
- My Favorite Hispanic CuisineLiljoDined on 4/30/2014I love to have the steak and plantains with rice and beans here and they also have some really awesome empanadas! Great service and very accommodating.Special Features:
- overpriced/portions way too smallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/28/2014food was tasty, but portions were ridiculously small. The over all experience was confusing in that it just did not work well: the main course would have left any small child hungry (and broke). $85 for two for lunch was excessive and there was no alcohol consumed. (I brought a client who confessed he was still hungry when finished eating. Ouch!) The experience was so poor it drew my attention to other inconsistencies... PS: it had been my second time to the restaurant, and the first - which was a weekend and not weekday visit - was fine.
- La IslaETfoodyDined on 4/20/2014I have never had a bad meal there. Manuel, the owner is a terrific host. The food brings me back to my Mom's home cooking. Love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic PR Food Fit for a FoodieDelishInDCDined on 4/19/2014Incredible experience and delicious food fit for foodies everywhere! A real gem, not to mention the ambiance was romantic, and welcoming.Special Features:
- Service and foodCarlosDined on 4/18/2014Mio offered great service and awesome food... The ambience was relaxed with a touch of intimacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mio Is GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014Took my former manager to lunch there as he is retiring after more than 30 years of federal service. The food, service, and ambiance were all great. This was a repeat visit. You should try it if you like moderately priced, upscale restaurants.Special Features:
- FabulosoBoricua46Dined on 4/13/2014Mio never let's me down . The service the food all wonderful. The only thing I say is I find it that is pricey.for me is a once a month treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it, Love it, Love it.OlgaDined on 4/13/2014We went to Mio two times after a few very good friends and restaurant owners in DC recommended it. The food was absolutely delicious & the service impeccable. We went there for brunch this weekend, particularly I wanted their ceviche, but to my disappointed they could not make ceviche because the limes are too dry. However, that was the best disappointment I have ever had, because Daniela (our server) was so nice & did not let us down. The grilled calamari dish was the the best - absolutely delicious. I really do not like seafood soups, but the Asopao de Mariscos was so delicious I just couldn't believe it is a seafood soup. This is most certainly one of our favorite restaurants in DC. We cannot wait to try their roasted pork on Fridays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun brunch!brunchbrunchDined on 4/6/2014Good food, good service, no wait for a table. It is a bit pricey, but everything was good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't try again5280LadyDined on 4/4/2014Mio came highly recommended from a friend who loves food and I consider a very reliable judge. Definitely didn't live up to her billing. Everything was OK but wouldn't return. Too many other choices in DC.
- Lechon Asado.1JamwesDined on 4/4/2014It was the best Pig I have had since I left Cayey in Puerto Rico. The food was FantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous tasting food!JP88Dined on 3/27/2014The food was simply fabulous. The calamari dish was an unexpected take on an appetizer. The halibut and black beans were great comfort food but also upscale. And the Mio coffee....incredible! Can't wait to go back. Only draw back is the service was a little slow (too many big parties and not enough servers).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but speak up!latartaDined on 3/26/2014I took a guest from out of town here at a friend's recommendation. The restaurant is a short walk from McPherson Square, so pretty accessible and is lovely on the inside. The staff were all friendly and largely attentive and the food was great (I had the duck, which I recommend). The only complaint I have is the noise level, which was pretty high even on a Wednesday evening. We really had to speak loudly to hear each other, just from across a small table. Perhaps not the best place for a first date or to catch up with an old friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very enjoyable dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014A very enjoyable dining experience. We found a reservation was for 7 PM late the same afternoon. We chose to sit in the upper level for a quieter dining experience, although the noise level in the lower area didn't seem too loud either. Simple, but pleasant décor especially in the waiting area. Menu featured Peruvian and other South American dishes, including an entrée featuring goat. I had a seafood stew dish, my wife had two appetizers including a seviche. Food was good and satisfying. The service ware was different and interesting which added to the experience. Our waiter was especially helpful, recommending his favorite drinks from the menu, as well his choices for the main course. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firday Roast PigSam1659Dined on 3/21/2014Very friendly, very welcoming, comfortable seating and the service was spectacular!!! Great waitresses and busboy who were very attentive, friendly, and came to the table just at the right times. However, we went early on a Friday night especially for the roast pig special which had been highly recommended by a Puerto Rican friend. Unfortunately, the meat was cool-to-room temperature when served, was way under seasoned, and the pork skin was impossible to bite or cut. By contrast, the appetizers (calamari and shrimp rolls) were superb. !f the opportunity arose, I would give it one more try and order something else on the main menu, just because the staff was so wonderful and the main menu choices sounded interesting.
- The BestLuis49Dined on 3/21/2014Mio it's has been one of "The Best" Puertorican restaurant the we have in the DC Metro area...!! They Rock..!!Special Features:
- Puertorrican at a Puertorrican restvaldinesDined on 3/19/2014As a Puertorrican, I love it. It's the closest you'll get to the real thing. It's really well seasoned and I looove their crispy mofongo de yuca. They have roasted whole pig on Fridays, too!! The only down side is that it's not exactly cheap. Especially with being from PR, where you find these dishes all over the place at sometimes dirt cheap prices, it may be hard to swallow to pay $13 for a Cuban sandwich. But, it's worth it, since you can't find Puertorrican food almost anywhere else in DC and it does have an upscale twist to classic dishes, and it works really well. It doesn't seem forced while maintaing the essence of the original. I will be back, and I already have been there like 5 times :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed reviewdclingVIPDined on 3/16/2014Nice place and I will give it another try, but there were some problems. Our reservation was at 2 on Sunday ---- didn't know that they quit serving at 2:30. We ordered fried plankton and they were inedible. I think the dish had been under a heat lamp and the fritters were edible, but overcooked. the main dishes Rock Fish and Salmon were quite good. The coconut brulee was also over cooked and I only ate 2 bites. When we mentioned the problems with the food, there was no offer to take it off the bill. I know people who love Mio and I will give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We truly enjoyed the foodAnDRollDined on 3/15/2014We truly enjoyed the food at Mio and the portions are extremely generous. The food presentation is also excellent. This is a must visit restaurant in Washington, DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch anyone?SPALDined on 3/14/2014...in a quiet atmosphere and 3 courses reasonably priced at $22 pp prix fixe? Bring it on. The food was absolutely delicious and the portions were dinner-sized. It was relatively late so there were just a few people in the restaurant having lunch. As a result, my friend and I were able to have a conversation without shouting at each other while we caught up on events in our lives. Mio is a true gem. This was my 3rd or 4th time there. Each time has been just as good as the previous visit. It's great when a restaurant shows consistency in the quality of its service, food (taste, flavors, portions) and atmosphere. Mio definitely does that and deserves to be considered as one of DC's best restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique CuisineWilhoffDined on 3/10/2014The menu at Mio contains many dishes I had never seen (as a frequenter of Latin American restaurants), and the introduction to them was delightful. The food was uniformly tasty, served at the right temperature by an attentive but non-hovering staff. I would have turned down the volume of the background music a notch, but we managed to have conversations without difficulty. Worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great place to bemikstgoDined on 3/8/2014Went with my family - from grandparents to grandkids - to celebrate my parent's anniversary. Menu was authentic and there were options for the kids. Service was amazing - even the kids felt special. The perfect mood for the perfect night. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Takes you back home.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2014Been from Puerto Rico I know my food verry good. The way that the chef has accomplished to infuse the puertorican flavors with international flavors is spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceStatProfDined on 3/6/2014I have eaten at Mio twice. Everything was terrific. This restaurant gets my highest recommendation!Special Features:
- Too much for too littleJeaneseDined on 3/1/2014Costs too high for a relative lack of quality food.$12 too much for kale salad. The red fish was too small. Too small empanadas and acappuerias and fish fritas. The chicken was perfect with pasta. I added the mojito sauce and made it amazing (husband did not like it; I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.