39 Elm St
Westfield, NJ 07090Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amusenj.com/
- Phone: 9083172640
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: C.J. Reycraft, Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Amuse
A new French restaurant in Westfield, NJContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Amuse - Best Restaurants in Westfield ›
Amuse reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (47)romantic (30)great for outdoor dining (25)great for lunch (15)good for groups (14)hot spot (12)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- FoodiewannabeDined on 5/9/2014Wonderful Spring menu with many interesting and tasty options. Excellent experienced service. A great addition to the Westfield dining scene.Special Features:
- Fulfilling Experience.JeffSDined on 5/6/2014The service, food, and ambience all scored high. We celebrated my wife's birthday dinner. . There was a very great complimentary start with an amazing chicken liver mousse starter. The salads and my white asparagus appy were perfect. The scalliops were the star entree around the table, cooked perfectly, with just the right amount of tastefully prepared brown butter and a little starch for side with a freshly grilled and seasoned green on the plate. Could not pass up the Passion Fruit souffle and the Profiteroles were a hit with the other side of the table.Special Features:
- Great French RestaurantFoodieVIPDined on 5/4/2014Food was wonderful, service was great. I would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:
- Lucky Westfield!SushiLoverDined on 4/27/2014Came out from NYC for a get together. Couldn't have been happier. The place, food, staff people, and prices, are all great. Bonus - they don't have a liquor license yet so it's BYO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmuseMl28Dined on 4/24/2014This was my first visit to Amuse and it did not disappoint!!!! Service was incredible with the staff making certain your meal was appealing and tasty Overall we had wonderful experience with the in housemade desserts taking a ten on the scoreboard . We will visit again!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Livening up WestfieldNJhikerDined on 4/18/2014Happy to see a new French place in Westfield that's on the casual side. Generally attentive staff, although the waitress was a bit slow. I was excited by my first chance to try seared fois gras - I liked it very much. My partner was not a fan of the texture (soft/fatty), but she didn't know what to expect. Her mussels were clearly very fresh, but their texture was generally on the soft side, which is not what she's used to, but otherwise very good. My duck breast, cooked a perfect medium rare, was fantastic. Overall, I felt the quality commensurate with the price. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid FoodTimoDined on 4/16/2014The food was outstanding but one entree had to be redone as it was served substantially overcooked. The principal on duty graciously offered a redo. The second try entree was cooked perfectly. Unfortunately I had to begin my meal while warm as my partner waited a few minutes for the kitchen to prepare her a new entree. Overall, it was an awkward few minutes. For this reason, I downgraded our overall experience. We had been on those premises in a previous restaurant iteration and were never impressed with the ambiance. We were not impressed with the ambiance this visit either. For our personal taste, the space doesn't project a warm & welcoming feeling. But the food was fab and we were appropriately serviced. Yes to a repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and a missAnnieoVIPDined on 4/15/2014After reading all the great reviews, I set out to have an incredible experience...the ambiance, while clean, made me feel like they would turn over the resturant in the morning and serve breakfast. Lights were simply too bright and the tables for two, too small. The waiter was nice but his service was spotty. The highlight of my meal was my onion soup. Filled with cheese, truly a fantastic broth. My skirt steak on the other hand was like rubber. Again the sauce was fantastic, but over a piece of meat I couldn't eat. My friends escargot tasted "earthy" a flavor I wasn't expecting nor found pleasurable. All is, I won't be heading back. Good try but a bad miss.Special Features:
- Not AmusedFiniDined on 4/13/2014Went for Palm Sunday with special friends. Ordered the roasted beef marrow bone for appetizer. Barren appetizer, meaning the presentation was boring, and the marrow yielded about a teaspoon of marrow for the halves of bones. Charge was $15! Had I not been with friends, I would have brought this to their attention. Felt ripped off by this. Ordered the flank steak with mashed potatoes. Not the most flavorful meat I have eaten. Almost seemed as if it has been pre-cooked? My friend tried the carrot soup which she liked; my husband had the scallops and they were good. We decided to forego dessert and head home for espresso! I am not in any rush to go back and be Amused...
- Amused? You Bet!juleezeeDined on 4/12/2014Excellent experience, from being greeted, to the food, service and vibe. It's a BYOB, not a bad thing. The menu offers a lot of choices for all kinds of eaters and the food is prepared and presented impeccably. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Terrific food and impeccable service in a very nice space. All you could want from a restaurant and more. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great addition to Westfield DiningJscottyVIPDined on 4/11/2014My wife and I were looking forward to dining at Amuse and we were not disappointed . From the wonderful greeting , the service , the atmosphere and especially the food . All dishes were delicious and well prepared . The home made lemonade and chefs amuse-bouche were a special treat . The homemade profiteroles were a perfect ending . Amuse is a fun casual,excellent French Bistro that makes you feel like your dining in Paris in downtown Westfiekd . We look forward to returning soon .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spinoff french bistrojackDined on 4/11/2014Wonderful spinoff french bistro from Chez Catherine. Food is wonderful and they know the little touches that make a dining experience memorable. Byo keeps the price tag down. Our new favorite Friday nite spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amuse earns an Aluv2dineVIPDined on 4/10/2014Nice lunch with a friend on a recent weekday. Shared the ravioli appetizer which was tasty. My friend had the steak sandwich and I had the croque madam. Both were plated with a side green salad. For dessert, we shared the chocolate tart with passion fruit ice cream. We were in heaven!!!! Our server handled our wine in a timely manner. We will definitely be back, Nice addition to the Westfield dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem !!wtpoohDined on 4/7/2014Superb staff … Variety of tastes … Exceptional cuisineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great first visitbobbiDined on 4/6/2014Greeted with a friendly welcome. Waitress explained menu and was knowledgeable as to our questions regarding menu.Special Features:
- Lived up to reviews!PelicanVIPDined on 4/5/2014Enjoyed this new restaurant! Looking forward to returning and sure to enjoy it once again. Very refreshing to now have a great option for dining. Great quality of food, service was very efficient and friendly. Looking for consistency on second visit and will surely rate it excellent next time!Special Features:
- Amuse nice addition to Westfieldmbf61Dined on 4/4/2014First visit to Amuse. Dining area is simple, noise level was not to bad. Nice menu, could have ordered a number of different things for both appetizer and entree. A little on the pricey side for some items but overall i guess it was fair. Attentive service, bread was french baguette that was great. We had the lamb shank and scallops at out table. Both were good. Had them split a simple green salad and it was more than enough for us. We will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday 4/4/14 after a long weekNadineDined on 4/4/2014Brought wine from The Liquor Basket, which has a good selection of both reds and whites. Chef sent us an amuse bouche (savory!) & warm crusty bread. French onion soup: perfect for a rainy Friday. All four had different entrees. Duck confit, looked delicious; skirt steak: nicely done; scallops (with lollipop kale; great add to any selection.) My entree: shrimp-spinach risotto, a creamy spring green, perfect! I also had the special raspberry cream tart as a desert; friends shared the superb souffle. A triple sorbet is a good bet, too. We'll be back soon.. There is a Sunday brunch. Friend Lee remarked that she will be bringing her Mom as Amuse is easy for walkers (no steps!) and the restroom is spacious. Make reservations.Special Features:
- The food and service wereJerzeesalVIPDined on 3/30/2014The food and service were good , but not great. It was a Sunday at 530. The restaurant was not that crowded. We had read a glowing review, but felt it did not live up to our expectations. Very limited menu. Disappointed.
- Excellent foodReviewer1VIPDined on 3/29/2014The food was excellent, as it had been our first time there, but the noise level was very high. Our server was charming, but slow to refill my wine glass. Overall an enjoyable meal, and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurantKrisDined on 3/28/2014Nice to have anew restaurant that is not Italian! Fresh take on French cooking. Pleasant atmosphere and good service.Special Features:
- Another fine Westfield restaurantbmccVIPDined on 3/24/2014Everything was very good, from the beet appetizer to the scallops and bass entrees to the souffle dessert. The portions are adequate (not large), and the lighting could be toned down a bit. Service was very attentive, and overall it was a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!LuvgreatfoodDined on 3/23/2014Attentive and friendly service, simple but cute and hip interior design/atmosphere, lovely and innovative menu, beautiful presentation and a "10" for taste for everything we tried (and we tried a lot!). And of course, the "amuse-bouche" was a fun and delicious present from the kitchen! Loved this restaurant and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still not...JoniBeeVIPDined on 3/22/2014My 3rd visit was for lunch, hopeful that this would be Amuse's strong point as dinner is not. The music was great - too loud for a conversation. The waitress provided a failed forced attempt of high class service which became irritating. The food presentation is 4+ but lacks flavor. Butternut squash soup needs a hint of seasoning, Beet salad was anemic in appearance & flavor, with the exception of the gorgonzola which was overpowering ! Thank goodness the bread is good and it's a BYOB! The tab was high considering the quality was just good, and the portions were unfulfilling even for a lunch plate.
- Great Date Night DinnerlisaDined on 3/21/2014My husband and I tried Amuse this weekend & we loved it! The food was excellent, we both really enjoyed our meals (chicken & steak frites). The service was great too, even though it was pretty busy. Our waitress was very attentive and knowledgeable. The desserts were also incredible, so save room! I had the chocolate caramel torte with sea salted caramel ice cream - YUM. My husband had the passionfruit soufflé which he said (several times) was the best dessert he has ever had in his life. We also loved the little petit fours we were brought after dessert. The atmosphere was beautiful too. The whole space felt light, airy, and classy while still being intimate. Overall, a great spot! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodYummymummy47Dined on 3/20/2014Well done to CJ and his new venture. The food was outstanding and such a great offering for a restaurant in the heart of town. Service and ambience need some work but hats off a great start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always.Nana2Dined on 3/20/2014This was my second time at Amuse. The first time I came with my daughter and the second with a group of co-workers. We had a variety of meals. I am not crazy about Duck but two male co-workers had it and absolutely loved it. I chose the scallops and they were delicious. From appetizers (grilled mushrooms, steak tartar etc.) to dessert everything was excellent. The service was fantastic. as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/19/2014Amuse offers a higher quality lunch option in downtown Westfield. Attentive service and a comfortable atmosphere good for business or conversation. They offer a good range of soup, sandwich and salads. They should think about moderating the prices entrees offered at lunch (run 28-32 bucks.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceMichaelDined on 3/14/2014Amuse is a welcome addition to Downtown Westfield! The service was friendly and spot on. Our wine was not only opened upon arrival but our glasses were always kept full. Our waiter was attentive and helpful. My wife and I ordered appetizers, an entree and desert each. The French onion soup was excellent and my wife got the steak tartare. I thought it was excellent but she felt it may have been a little too creamy. My wife ordered the bass and I ordered the short ribs. Both were absolutely delicious and perfectly cooked. Finally the deserts were phenomenal. The warm apple crisp was really good as was the banana pudding. We left satisfied, full and happy since the bill was extremely reasonable for excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First ExperienceCarMarDined on 3/11/2014Took a dear friend to celebrate a special occasion and was thoroughly pleased with the entire evening. Great ambience, loved the lightness, simple yet stately. Ravioli appetizer was absolutely delicious. Our entrees...Shrimp/Spinach Risotto and Salmon... were terrific, and perfect portion size. The service was extremely pleasant, polite and attentive. We passed on a two thumbs up to Westfield friends to definitely visit Amuse. Will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- check it outpaulDined on 3/9/2014my wife and I were looking for a new eatery to try, and we were pleasantly surprised to find amuse. the decorations were simple and the space was bright and airy. staff was attentive and pleasant, our server was great, and the general manager ensured everything about our dining experience was perfect. my roasted bone marrow app was very tasty and the duck breast was perfect. my wife's moules frites were on the money. a small cheese plate rounded out the evening. hard to find a reasonably priced french restaurant locally, but we are definetly going back to further explore the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time dinerteresaDined on 3/9/2014Went to brunch with a friend on Sunday and loved it! The pastry basket was delicious - different from a boring, traditional bread basket. I had the french toast and my friend had the crepes. We ate them all up! The green tea was very nice, too. Our server was attentive to our needs, as was the hostess and the manager, I believe. Very professional and hospitable environment. Cozy, casual, intimate space and atmosphere. There were parties of 2 and such as well as a large birthday party of about 8. I would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not frenchFaveurVIPDined on 3/8/2014Went for a birthday brunch with family. The server was friendly, professional. We ordered soup, salmon, and crab crepes for the brunch selection. Everything tasted a bit off. Perhaps the chef is trying to be innovative w/different herbs, but it was not good. Everything dish seemed a little off, not in a good way. French is my favorite food---I often dine at Jean-Georges, Cafe Boulud, Eleven Madison, Bouley, and many lower tiered establishments too. Keep it simple, and don't try too hard... at the end of the day, it's gotta taste good, not weird.
- Amazing Food and Service!cath0548Dined on 3/7/2014I have had both lunch and dinner at this restaurant. Both did not disappoint! The food was amazing…in taste and presentation. The wait staff is extremely attentive as well. This is definitely a place to frequent.Special Features:
- Could leave hungrylisaDined on 3/3/2014The food was excellent although VERY small portions I think that a man would need to go out to eat after dining at Amuse. The ambience is a bit Spartan and that left me a bit unenthused. The service was excellent with minimally 2 waitstaff personnel per table. I would go back but probably for lunch rather than dinner.Special Features:
- A Welcome Addition to WestfieldWestfriendDined on 3/2/2014In a town so rich in wonderful restaurants, who would have thought we could use another one? Well, Amuse is a wonderful addition and different from the other restaurants in town. The menu is inventive and the food is delicious. The service is friendly and helpful, making you feel right at home. We highly recommend Amuse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood French RestaurantKichisterDined on 3/2/2014It is very nice to have a reasonable French restaurant in your neighborhood. My husband and I went Amuse for my birthday party and we enjoyed a romantic dinner. At the restaurant, we saw a couple of families with small kids and a group of adults having a small party. So, I think this restaurant is good for all demography (family, kids, couple, party...) The food was great and I would say this is a great neighborhood restaurant everyone wants. Note - this is a BYO restaurant.Special Features:
- A very satisfying experience...Curious22Dined on 3/2/2014Chef CJ Reycraft , formerly of Chez Catherine, continues to display his exceptional talents with this new venue. His Steak Tartare is memorable as is his Beef Bourgoigne, Crab Cake and Moules. Still, a BYOB - but with very caring and considerate service. Bon Chance, CJ!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice quaint restaurantBigFoodieDined on 2/26/2014Food was excellent, very nice plating of food. Service was very good. Went there for restaurant week, the only negative was the restaurant week menu was quite disappointing. Was expecting better selection for the special prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.