39 Elm St
Westfield, NJ 07090Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amusenj.com/
- Phone: 9083172640
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: C.J. Reycraft, Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Amuse
A new French restaurant in Westfield, NJContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Amuse - Best Restaurants in Westfield ›
Amuse reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (59)special occasion (47)romantic (29)great for outdoor dining (28)great for lunch (16)hot spot (15)good for groups (15)great for brunch (11)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Love the Scallops!LKWENDEL1Dined on 7/3/2014If you want an authentic French bistro experience, Amuse is the place! The food is delicious and true to form. The meals are a bit pricey for Westfield, but the quality is excellent. It is typically French, as portion size is more on the French-style, but the food is really worth the wait (there is sometimes a wait for seating or reservations). Can't wait to go back, more items to try on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very attentive staff.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014When I booked my reservation I stated that the date was our 40 th wedding anniversary. They were very sweet and put a candle in our dessert.,I had the scallops which were amazing.Asked for a recommendation from our server and followed her lead. All in all a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Great Special Anniversary DinnerFeedmesteakDined on 6/29/2014We decided to try this restaurant for the first time for our 30th anniversary dinner. We were greeted at the door by friendly staff and seated at a nice table by the window. One among us happened to have celiac disease (no gluten allowed) and did not specifically seek this place out for that purpose but found practically the entire menu available to her because the restaurant doesn't use flour to thicken its sauces (Yay!!!). What a treat! The menu was small but good variety. The asparagus appetizer was a lovely, and our entrees the scallops and steak frites were wonderful. The pavlova for dessert finished it all off nicely. The staff was charming and attentive. What more could we ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed review, worth a second visit.DrMMVIPDined on 6/28/2014Excellent wait staff, including the bus boy who asked if we enjoyed our dinner as he cleared the table. The escargot, although luke warm, were beautifully presented with bacon "chunks." Cesare salad flavorful, but more "leafy" than "hearty." Grouper was excellent, crisp, yet moist. Mussels over "cayenne."
- DisappointingjojoDined on 6/17/2014This was my third visit to Amuse and for the second time they were out of my first choice of an entre -- this time the salmon. Even though the skate was acceptable as an alternative it still was not my first choice. Also, the strawberry salad was not that good. Probably won't give them a 4th chance.
- UnimpressedFoodiefriendsDined on 6/17/2014A friend and I decided to give this new place a try. Friendly service in a bland atmosphere. My friends tossed salad was underdressed and my beet salad was lacking in flavor. She enjoyed the skate special and I tried the Monk fish which was somewhat over salted. We passed on dessert which was unlike us but we left feeling unimpressed with the restaurant overall.
- Delicious but priceydenise0628Dined on 6/16/2014The food was delicious. I felt the rizzoto dinner was over priced. There was one small piece of lobster tail in a large plate of pesto rizzoto. Without the appetizers I would have been still hungry (Not a big carb eater). Plus the menu said that its was supposed to be lump crab meat. I never saw any crab. Bottom line was there was not enough meat to be charging $32. It was my husband's birthday so I called ahead to request their bread pudding which we had gotten there before. It took talking to three people up to the chef before I could get a guarentee that they would have it. Why make it so difficult when I was calling days in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic addition to our townRdsawksDined on 6/15/2014This fairly new restaurant (about 6 mos old) is a great addition to our small town. The ambiance is wonderful- light wood, minimalist, and comfortable. The service is great and efficient. Within minutes of being seated, a server came over to ask if we had any questions and to take drink orders. Shortly thereafter, warm, fresh and delicious bread arrived. Try their brunch on Sundays- bread is replaced by a variety of phenomenal sweet rolls and croissants! The menu changes almost every day depending on what is fresh at the markets. CJ, the owner and executive chef, has a fantastic palate and serves up very creative plates of food. Hard to save room for dessert, but if possible, preorder the soufflé- you won't be disappointed. BYOB- a plus!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitmercyx3Dined on 6/14/2014CJ Reycraft has been chef de cuisine at Chez Catherine in Westfield for years, during which it has often been voted Best French Restaurant by the readers of NJ Monthly. This year, he and his bride-to-be opened Amuse, a more casual, contemporary French inspired bistro. The space is open and bright, and especially charming in good weather, when the doors can be opened to the sidewalk, where there's additional seating. The menu is wide ranging, and everything we tried was excellent. Don't miss out on the tarte Alsace, and don't forget, it's BYOB. A welcome addition to the Westfield scene.Special Features:
- Be transported to EuropeFoodieDined on 6/13/2014Having been to Europe over 20 times, I am always heading into NYC for some great French food. Now I only have to head to downtown Westfield! The food was wonderful and very French yet with a fresh, unique and interesting twist to some classic dishes. The scallops were the best I have ever had and the souffle was as light as air - perfection! The menu is varied with something for everyone. Amuse is definitely one of the best restaurants in New Jersey - great for a special occasion yet a treat for a Friday night since it is a BYO. Bon Appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Delicious!foodierVIPDined on 6/11/2014From the tasty amuse bouche of chicken pate to the chocolate tart for dessert, we wanted to lick the plates! Could have made a meal of the warm french bread and soft creamy butter. The fish was excellent as was the skirt steak. And the chocolate tart was heavenly. We went during the week when it was not as crowded so the noise level was moderate, but it seems like on the weekend the noise level would be livelier/energetic. Looking forward to coming back!Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerWestfriendDined on 6/10/2014Dinner at Amuse is a wonderful experience. Its staff is welcoming, warm, and professional. They give the feeling that they enjoy working there, and that makes us enjoy being there even more. And, of course, the food is beautifully prepared and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmuseamuseDined on 6/8/2014Overall, a very pleasant experience. The food was very good - I love fois gras and it was a superb appetizer. I had the steak special with asparagus and banana pudding for dessert. The waitress was fine but not that well informed. However, she was able to answer our questions by seeking help from the back. The maitre'd came around several times to ask how we were doing. The decor was plain and noise level about average. Definitely not quiet however. We will return as this place is a nice addition to the Westfield food scene.Special Features:
- Great food!TbugzDined on 6/8/2014Great food. Chef takes pride in using great ingredients!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amuse Only OkayFoodMavenVIPDined on 6/7/2014We looked forward to dining at Amuse after hearing good reviews of the place. First of all our table was near the kitchen and there was a constant stream of servers going in and out of the kitchen. The menu was short but had enough choices. My biggest disappointment was that while we weren't exactly rushed, we weren't encouraged to linger at all--each course was served as soon as we finished the previous course (before the dishes were cleared). This is not how they do it in France where you are encouraged to linger and enjoy your food. Our server was very nice and helpful so this obviously wasn't her fault. The food was decent enough and the desserts lovely. I might give Amuse another chance but only on a weekday.
- French BistromikeDined on 6/7/2014French Bistro style restaurant. Food was good. Service excellent. Like the fact is BYOB.Special Features:
- very dissappointingJason7fromScotchPlainsVIPDined on 6/5/2014Sat down outside. Host brought us our menus. 15 minutes and no waiter. Finally host took our order. 1 Caesar Salad to split, one bone marrow and one roasted beet salad. Asked for lemon for our water, still waiting for that to arrive. Caesar arrive and after eating some realized it was so over pasted that the outsides of our mouths started to burn. Never had a Caesar Salad like that. Roast Beets were good not great. Wife's bone marrow was 2 pieces. 1 was OK, 2nd was raw inside. When the order returned the raw piece was now so overcooked it was not worth eating. Also sitting outside was nice except for the fact that the host kept walking next door to other restaurants to count patrons and look in on what was happening. A little creepy!!!!Special Features:
- Amuse Satisfies and DiversifiesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/4/2014We began with two mouthwatering appetizers: the escargot and the marrow, the latter of which we chose after a little (neophytic) hesitation. One minor note: the bread was a plain baguette; the butter, over-soft. The scallops entree was delectable, while the skate was just shy of excellent due, perhaps, to a bit more salt than warranted. For dessert, the raspberry tart proved delicious, while the raspberry soufflé, ordered twenty five minutes in advance, was tasty, but overpriced for the result. Service was just right, with enough attentiveness to our receding wine levels and other dining needs to prevent waiting while avoiding intrusiveness. We will visit again as Amuse provides welcome and satisfying diversity to Westfield's menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 86 reviews are from the Amuse reviews archive.
- Great new addition to town!RdsawksDined on 6/2/2014This was my third dining experience since this restaurant opened this past winter. I love that both the lunch and dinner menus change very often. I am also impressed on the size of the menu-I would much rather have a restaurant present a dozen or less entrees well done and presented than pages of mediocre dishes. The desserts are also devine-of soufflés are being offered make sure to order one, you will not be disappointed!!!! The ambiance is light wood, clean, minimalistic and refreshing. A huge improvement over the dark dirty looking previous establishment. There are wonderful doors that open up to outside so you can sit inside but feel the breeze, or if available have a table outside. All in all a delicious addition to Westfield NJ!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, shame about the serviceDobersDined on 5/31/2014I took my wife here for a date night. We'd heard pretty good things about the restaurant so we were both looking forward to it. We were seated promptly but thereafter the service wasn't great. There seemed to be some confusion about who was going to be our server and I we got our appetizer after 30+ minutes after sitting down. Looking around, the allocation of work to the servers seemed mis-managed. Our server was incredibly busy while one waiter seemed more intent on focusing his attention on a chatting up women. Another annoyance was our coffee arrived and then we had to wait another 20 minutes for the dessert. Poor timing and again I'm questioning the overall management of the place. The food was good, not great. Not going back...
- Good but rushedEATSOUTALOTDined on 5/23/2014First time here. Food and service were very good. I would definitely go back. The entrees-duck confit and scallops were great. The tartare appetizer was a little bland. The only real complaint is I felt rushed. I spent more time at a quick diner meal the next day than a two course meal here. I eat quickly but we were in and out in 35 minutes- that is too fast for this type of restaurant. I felt like I was on fast forward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanmcgenVIPDined on 5/22/2014Very pleasant dining experience. Food and service were excellent. A little pricey though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/21/2014Food was good. Nothing special. Amuse bouche was the best part of the meal. Complimentary dessert was burnt. Attentive service. Pricey, so for good not great food, probably will not return.
- Lovely DinnerMKMaherDined on 5/20/2014We had a great time at Muse. I brought my mom and sister for a belated Mother's Day dinner. We sat and talked for three hours and had a delicious meal from start to finish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmuseConeybugDined on 5/18/2014The chef from Chez Catherine started this restaurant, so we were excited to try it. The lighting in restaurant is bright, we suggested to dim & were told this is a common request. I started with the onion soup. Chef preference is added sherry which makes the soup sweeter. i prefer a more carmelized onion flavor. Soup was above average. My wife had the warm beet soup which was subtle, delicious & gorgeous color. We shared the Ravioli, ricotta filled with carmelized onions in brown butter sauce. There was nothing going on with this dish, bland & uninteresting. My wife had the steak & frites, which was very good. Very good. I had the calf liver, which was done perfectly and very good. Wait staff were excellent.Special Features:
- DisappointedSugarboyDined on 5/17/2014I've been to AMUSE once before, a few months after they opened. It was a very good dining experience; white linen table clothes, not overly crowded, service was professional & very attentive (I remember a young man named, Billy, was our server) and food delicious. This past Saturday's experience was very disappointing. It was over-crowded and appeared to have lots more tables then before minus the table cloths, as well. Service was very slow, and the staff that continued to bring us our dinner practically tossed the plates in front of us. Lastly, our main waiter never even introduced himself to us; we had to ask his name well after we were served.
- A strong startWineguy7Dined on 5/9/2014This bright bastion of fairly straightforward French cooking is a welcome addition to the Westfield dining scene. While quite noisy, due to all the hard surfaces, the cuisine is plush comfort food. A frisée salad with lardon and egg, an elegantly understated fois gras prep, succulent scallops and a pair (!) of duck legs confit proved to be an ample dinner of pure pleasure. The menu is mercifully focused, and there were few dishes that I would not have been glad to try. Having been in France less than a month ago, this was a much needed reminder of how good the combination of great ingredients and classical, skillful preparation can be. If one thing could be added, it might be a bit more daring improvisation; I'll bet this chef can soar...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time - it was so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014My first time here, the menu was more classic French (pate, etc.). The prices were not too high but expect to spend $100/couple (BYO). The appetizers (soups) were very good but the entrees were just "so-so". I had Duck Breast cooked "medium" and it came out "well". My wife's Cod was seeping so much oil which washed out whatever flavor it should have that it was not really enjoyable. We passed on the dessert based on the entree experience. I would probably go back for a 2nd chance but would not yet recommend to friends until after the 2nd experience to see if it was an off night.Special Features:
- FoodiewannabeDined on 5/9/2014Wonderful Spring menu with many interesting and tasty options. Excellent experienced service. A great addition to the Westfield dining scene.Special Features:
- Fulfilling Experience.JeffSDined on 5/6/2014The service, food, and ambience all scored high. We celebrated my wife's birthday dinner. . There was a very great complimentary start with an amazing chicken liver mousse starter. The salads and my white asparagus appy were perfect. The scalliops were the star entree around the table, cooked perfectly, with just the right amount of tastefully prepared brown butter and a little starch for side with a freshly grilled and seasoned green on the plate. Could not pass up the Passion Fruit souffle and the Profiteroles were a hit with the other side of the table.Special Features:
- Great French RestaurantFoodieVIPDined on 5/4/2014Food was wonderful, service was great. I would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:
- Lucky Westfield!SushiLoverDined on 4/27/2014Came out from NYC for a get together. Couldn't have been happier. The place, food, staff people, and prices, are all great. Bonus - they don't have a liquor license yet so it's BYO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmuseMl28Dined on 4/24/2014This was my first visit to Amuse and it did not disappoint!!!! Service was incredible with the staff making certain your meal was appealing and tasty Overall we had wonderful experience with the in housemade desserts taking a ten on the scoreboard . We will visit again!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Livening up WestfieldNJhikerDined on 4/18/2014Happy to see a new French place in Westfield that's on the casual side. Generally attentive staff, although the waitress was a bit slow. I was excited by my first chance to try seared fois gras - I liked it very much. My partner was not a fan of the texture (soft/fatty), but she didn't know what to expect. Her mussels were clearly very fresh, but their texture was generally on the soft side, which is not what she's used to, but otherwise very good. My duck breast, cooked a perfect medium rare, was fantastic. Overall, I felt the quality commensurate with the price. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid FoodTimoDined on 4/16/2014The food was outstanding but one entree had to be redone as it was served substantially overcooked. The principal on duty graciously offered a redo. The second try entree was cooked perfectly. Unfortunately I had to begin my meal while warm as my partner waited a few minutes for the kitchen to prepare her a new entree. Overall, it was an awkward few minutes. For this reason, I downgraded our overall experience. We had been on those premises in a previous restaurant iteration and were never impressed with the ambiance. We were not impressed with the ambiance this visit either. For our personal taste, the space doesn't project a warm & welcoming feeling. But the food was fab and we were appropriately serviced. Yes to a repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and a missAnnieoVIPDined on 4/15/2014After reading all the great reviews, I set out to have an incredible experience...the ambiance, while clean, made me feel like they would turn over the resturant in the morning and serve breakfast. Lights were simply too bright and the tables for two, too small. The waiter was nice but his service was spotty. The highlight of my meal was my onion soup. Filled with cheese, truly a fantastic broth. My skirt steak on the other hand was like rubber. Again the sauce was fantastic, but over a piece of meat I couldn't eat. My friends escargot tasted "earthy" a flavor I wasn't expecting nor found pleasurable. All is, I won't be heading back. Good try but a bad miss.Special Features:
- Not AmusedFiniDined on 4/13/2014Went for Palm Sunday with special friends. Ordered the roasted beef marrow bone for appetizer. Barren appetizer, meaning the presentation was boring, and the marrow yielded about a teaspoon of marrow for the halves of bones. Charge was $15! Had I not been with friends, I would have brought this to their attention. Felt ripped off by this. Ordered the flank steak with mashed potatoes. Not the most flavorful meat I have eaten. Almost seemed as if it has been pre-cooked? My friend tried the carrot soup which she liked; my husband had the scallops and they were good. We decided to forego dessert and head home for espresso! I am not in any rush to go back and be Amused...
- Amused? You Bet!juleezeeDined on 4/12/2014Excellent experience, from being greeted, to the food, service and vibe. It's a BYOB, not a bad thing. The menu offers a lot of choices for all kinds of eaters and the food is prepared and presented impeccably. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Terrific food and impeccable service in a very nice space. All you could want from a restaurant and more. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great addition to Westfield DiningJscottyVIPDined on 4/11/2014My wife and I were looking forward to dining at Amuse and we were not disappointed . From the wonderful greeting , the service , the atmosphere and especially the food . All dishes were delicious and well prepared . The home made lemonade and chefs amuse-bouche were a special treat . The homemade profiteroles were a perfect ending . Amuse is a fun casual,excellent French Bistro that makes you feel like your dining in Paris in downtown Westfiekd . We look forward to returning soon .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.