The Arsenal at Bluejacket
300 Tingey Street SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Arsenal at Bluejacket
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluejacketdc.com/
- Phone: 2025244862x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar opens 4 PM, Dinner Service Begins 5:30 PM Daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kyle Bailey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: For those who have enjoyed dining at The Arsenal and wish to have us cater your next event, we are pleased to partner with 550 Events & Provisions, a chef-driven, full-service catering and events company. As a member of the Neighborhood Restaurant Group’s family of award-winning restaurants, 550 possesses an unparalleled depth and breadth of experience, as well as culinary talent. For inquiries and more information, contact 550 Events & Provisions at email@example.com.
- Special Events: Our brewery, Bluejacket, is pleased to offer brewery tours on Saturdays, including a Beer & Food Experience tour. More information & tickets for brewery tours can be found at http://bluejacketdc.com/tours.htm.
A word from The Arsenal at Bluejacket
The Arsenal is the 200-seat restaurant & bar housed within the brewery, Bluejacket. The menu, crafted by Executive Chef Kyle Bailey of Birch & Barley and ChurchKey and Chef de Cuisine Dan Hahndorf, updates, refines and extends the classic fare of beer halls and public houses by featuring the best locally sourced products available and highlighting house-made specialties such as charcuterie, fresh pastas, alongside whole-roasted meats, hearty grains and seasonal vegetables. A menu of gourmet sandwiches, house-ground burgers and bar snacks is the perfect accompaniment to a signature Bluejacket brew.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Arsenal at Bluejacket - Best Restaurants in Navy Yard ›
The Arsenal at Bluejacket reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (99)neighborhood gem (82)fit for foodies (80)hot spot (70)good for groups (69)great for outdoor dining (62)special occasion (37)great for lunch (33)great for brunch (31)late-night find (17)romantic (16)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (9)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Great ServiceTreehugger7Dined on 8/1/2014I came for lunch with my dad since I couldn't get a dinner reservation. Got there just in time for lunch (they stop serving between 230 and 5pm) and the waiter was extremely great about letting us order just in the nick of time. Excellent food! I ordered the veggie burger and it was amazing. Definitely coming back, but probably for lunch again, because this place is packed when there is a Nats game. I have seen the line wrap around the building. The music is really cool, and hipster. The whole feel kinda reminded me of Seattle.Special Features:
- Best service I've ever had!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014The food and beer were both really great, but the most outstanding part was the service. Maria, our server, was charming, knowledgeable, and was very aware of our needs while giving us space to enjoy dinner. The food and drink would bring me back, but the service has made me an advocate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overallMeganVIPDined on 7/30/2014I thought the Arsenal provided a varied menu and something for everyone. I thought it was a bit noisy for a Wednesday night. My throat hurt by the end of the night because I felt like we had to yell across the table. The portions could be a little bit better for the price.Special Features:
- Great Beer, Good FoodTuhughesDined on 7/26/2014Every server I've had here, including on this visit, knows the beer menu forward and backwards, which is impressive given that it always has at least two dozen beers on tap. The food is generally pretty good, and while the portion sizes aren't massive, I've never left feeling hungry.Special Features:
- A looong night2nittanylionsVIPDined on 7/26/2014We made a reservation for 8 before a concert, and were excited to try one of the new fun places in the area. Unfortunately, it wound up being a trying experience. Our waiter was not only inattentive, but when we would flag him down (at least 4 times), he never apologized and always blamed someone else for why our food or drinks didn't arrive. We were on a timeline because we were going to a concert, but had left more than 90 minutes. And still, it took more than an hour for our food to arrive. After we sought the manager for the second time, he comped our entrees (which had still not arrived) and he ultimately came to apologize profusely and comp the entire meal. When it finally came, the food was good.
- Foodie DelightNaptownFoodieX2Dined on 7/25/2014Hidden gem in Southeast/Navy Yard area. Menu full of surprises and healthy ingredients in addition to some very tasty craft beers brewed on the premise. Very excited to watch the surrounding neighborhood possibly develop into a foodie mecca with this establishment leading the way! Service was outstanding despite the large crowds due to a concert event at Nationals park. Will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MattDined on 7/20/2014This place was perfect for a weekend date. The beers are top notch, the food was phenomenal (beef heart tartare, lamb's neck, and monkfish), and our waitress genuinely seemed to love her job and what Bluejacket had to offer. My only complaint is that their beer list is rather heavy with sours, which I'm not a fan of. I'll cut them some slack though, since apparently their souring yeast strains are notable enough to be used by other craft distributors. The rest of the beers we had were fantastic, and especially when paired with my dish as recommended by our waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedsrs2283VIPDined on 7/20/2014I was looking forward to trying Bluejacket, I have heard great things from friends who have eaten there. I like the open layout of the restaurant and the bar area is really nice. When we were seated, our server was initially very prompt, however we didn't order for 40+ mins after we had to flag our waitress down for the 5th time. My husband asked twice for the drink menu later in the meal, and it was never delivered. Our food was just ok. The one huge kicker to the meal was the brussel sprouts. Brussel sprouts have become quite the trendy food, and there are lots of great dishes around DC. Bluejacket needs to take theirs OFF the menu. The olive oil was gross and they had no flavor. Huge dissapointment.Special Features:
- Beware of Nats gameAAaaVIPDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed our experience at The Arsenal -- the service, space, food, and drink. But we would offer one word of advice: check to see if its a Nationals game day. We went on a Saturday game day, and, after the game ended, the baseball fans started pouring into the brewery/bar space. The restaurant is right in the thick of things, so it was a little like setting up a table for 2 at the Bullpen -- admittedly could be a great time, but not necessarily what we were looking for. I imagine it's not as much of a problem during the week, when people potentially are less likely to party post-game, but on Saturday it was noticeable.Special Features:
- First time great timesaidchestnutDined on 7/16/2014My wife took me out for my birthday and asked where I wanted to eat and so I chose a new spot. We sat outside enjoyed great weather, good drinks and great service. I'd recommend for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/15/2014Bluejackets was very good! The server was very friendly and welcoming. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soyoyoGDined on 7/13/2014Long wait time for food, lamb/chicken burger was over cooked and a little to charred for my taste. My friend got the same thing and his was not overcooked. Portion size of the pasta for my husband was small with no bread or sides...and he got the entreem/dinner sizing. The boys did enjoy their beers though. A friend was visiting from out of town and we wanted to find a unique place to take him. The history of the building and the riverwalk enticed us to try The Arsenal. The servers were great but I am not sure I'll be going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Very AccommodatingstaceyvzDined on 7/13/2014Brought a group of 11 people in for a celebration. Staff was very helpful and knowledgeable, they were also open to a few last minute changes. The food was well-prepared and definitely offered something different from other area restaurants. Everyone in the group really enjoyed trying items from adventurous beer list. My only two complaints were: 1) that it gets very dark in the main dining space, which is great for romantic dinners, not so great for big groups trying to mingle and 2) we waited an especially long amount of time for our table's check at the end of the meal. Overall, we are looking forward to coming back, but will probably dine earlier in the day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014My third visit. While I really come for the beer I like the food. This time the server was great so I wanted to mention that. Not that the servers the other two times were not also good (they were) but this guy was very helpful with the beer recommendations, was attentive but not always hovering and just very pleasant.
- Too Many Beers?Kafn8dDined on 7/10/2014Excellent, unobtrusive though attentive service. Food was good, but not great. Beer is very good. I wonder if their beer could be better if they focused on about half as many styles...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoseJoseDined on 7/9/2014Food was great and there were several small groups around us so that could explain the slow service on drinks, etc. I like the beer selection but it didn't seem as good as the week before. I had a Dauntlet IPA that left lots to be desired and at least one other person with me thought her beers were average. I had outstanding beer the week earlier and expected the same.Special Features:
- Good food, mediocre beer, deafeningtravelmad478Dined on 7/8/2014We enjoyed our food: it was creative, tasty, and sized right. Service at the table was friendly and attentive. We spent several hours watching a World Cup game in the bar area before moving to our table for dinner, and thus had a chance to try a number of the house-brewed beers--surprisingly, they were uniformly pretty mediocre and in a few cases outright unpleasant (stay away from the Limerick--who knew kaffir lime leaf would make beer smell like cleaning fluid?) In general we would have enjoyed our meal much more had the restaurant not been deafeningly loud. In fairness, it was the evening of a Nats-O's baseball game, and the place was jammed, but we could barely hear a word anyone was saying at the table, even in the dining room.Special Features:
- Good service. Long wait.BellpainterDined on 7/5/2014The food did not arrive for 45 minutes. The waitress was charismatic, knowledgeable and thoughtful.Special Features:
- Fun and Exciting Beer experienceJilljakDined on 7/5/2014This restaurant is such a neat experience. The energy is high and the food is delicious. Not to mention the beer tasting we hd. We tried 6 different beers out of 25 of their own brews. It was fun to taste them all. We went before the Nationals game, which was right down the street, and tried a few different appetizers which were all so good! They did a remarkable job on the décor and we will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer, great service!lj28VIPDined on 7/3/2014We had a wonderful time at Bluejacket. They sat our group of 4 in a lovely, large booth (big enough for 6) in the corner by a window. It was very comfortable. They were always nice about keeping our water glasses full and the service was prompt and friendly. We mostly ordered beer (I think we tried almost every one on the menu) but the server did not seem to mind. I did try the warm pretzel, though, and it was outstanding. This a hot spot for sure and I can certainly see why. Looking forward to going back!Special Features:
- Can't beat the service!bex173Dined on 7/3/2014We visited for dinner with family visiting from out of town. We were celebrating 3 anniversaries - which they asked about when we called to confirm they reservation - after we arrived & were seated our waitress brought us complimentary champagne - a great surprise & set the tone for a fun evening! We sampled some "tastes" of their beer. On another good service note, my husband's clam dish came out without clams - when we sent it back, the waitress apologized & the chef came out himself to apologize. They also took ALL our beverages (for 7 people!) off the bill for this mistake - unbelievable! We were all impressed by this service & I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/1/2014Fantastic beers (20 house on tap) and they also cask condition five additional beers. Creative food (fried chickpeas and pork rinds) and really knowledgeable staff made this a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at The Arsenal at BluejacketDCFoodieDined on 6/28/2014We had a great dinner at The Aresnal. We started with the pretzels which everyone at the table thoroughly enjoyed. They were hot from the oven. We had the Ribs, the Chicken, the Carbonara and the Pork and all diners raved about their dishes. Our server was very good and provided good recommendations on beer tastings and seemed knowledgeable about the beers on the list. The only hitch was with dessert. We ordered dessert and when they were finally served they were very good. For some reason the desserts took a long time to come to the table. Our server did keep us up to date and did apologize for it taking so long so not sure what the ultimate issue was. Overall - great experience, great food, good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Disappointing FoodGooutalotDined on 6/25/2014Three of us went for lunch. Two had the jerk chicken, which was in the Salad portion of the menu, but it was two pieces of warm chicken on a bed of corn relish. Certainly not a salad. They gave it a "B." I had the falafel sandwich. It was a few pieces of moist falafel on flatbread that had been formed into a taco-like shape. The flatbread was so large and chewy that I cut most of it off. We tried all three dessert offerings and didn't finish any. Overly sweet, all. The key lime had a glutinous texture. The whiskey ice cream was very harsh. We all agreed the fudge pie was the best, along with the coconut ice cream (two different dessert components). 2nd time there. Had a so-so Cobb salad 1st time. She had a burger, which was dry.
- Awesome Brew & FoodKLoDCVIPDined on 6/24/2014My birthday dinner was a surprise only because of how great Arsenal at BlueJacket was. The initial seating was a bit lengthy. However, once our waiter happened upon the scene we were asked to look up at the brewing silos where they microbrew the beer and the expansive interior. It's pretty awesome. We had two waiters and they were both attentive but we have our favorite. They brought out a pie and ice cream and a cheese plate. It was s great first visit, and there will be more visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer, Beer, and More BeerHStreetYuppieVIPDined on 6/24/2014Let's be honest... you come here for the beer. With 25 different brews made on site, it's hard to beat. Still, the food is good as well. The menu is similar to ChurcKey's, with appetizers, mids, and entrees to choose from. My wife had the carbonara and I had the tile fish while we split a side of the brussels sprouts. Our meal was fantastic, and my only critique is that the sprouts were shaved and raw rather than the typical roasted variety. We will be coming back. Just try to avoid before/during/after Nats games... it's a mad house.Special Features:
- Lovely night outmrsplacedsoulVIPDined on 6/23/2014As new parents, it's not easy to have a night out, but when my sister and brother-in-law were in town, we took a risk and went to the Arsenal.. and brought our one-month old out to dinner. Fortunately, he slept the whole time, and the rest of us were able to enjoy fantastic beer and good food and great company. Our server was fantastic - knowledgeable and very helpful without being overbearing - exactly the type of waiter I like to have in a restaurant. We will definitely be back.
- Great Beer & FoodPdunnyDined on 6/21/2014Great beer and food. It was kind of odd that the bar and restaurant had different menus. The bar menu had some good bites on it and they allowed us to order from it while in the dining room.Special Features:
- NRG does it again!BeerLovingFoodieDined on 6/21/2014Seated in the small dining section overlooking the brewery, with the trapeze school and the river in the background, it felt special. We came for the beer, but were delighted with the food. The beer mustard with our pretzel was phenomenal, the scallops melted like butter in your mouth, and our entrees were perfectly cooked. Not only was it all visually appealing, the taste was there to match as well. As for the beers, we tried samples of them all. Our waiter selected the order for us, as we moved from lighter to darker in accordance with our meal. He was incredibly knowledgeable about their beers (and about beer in general), and it was a pleasure to talk shop with him. This brewery puts the DC beer scene on another level!Special Features:
- Great view from upstairsElNerdVIPDined on 6/17/2014The excellent beer is still the biggest reason to come here, but we sat upstairs for the first time, and there's actually a great view of the river and Yards Park (you'd never know it's the Anacostia River!) Food was very solid (merguez burger is probably my favorite), and great service, including very knowledgeable beer recommendations. This is by far the best spot to hit before Nats games.Special Features:
- Great Prelude to a Nats GameJySkrVIPDined on 6/17/2014This place was mentioned by a friend. We went there before a Nationals game. Normally, I love eating at the stadium, but the menu was so tempting, that I ended up ordering here. We had the stuffed chicken, which was EXCELLENT. Great flavors. And the cocktails were delicious also.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/16/2014Had a fabulous first experience at The Arsenal. We loved the menu's options and everything we tried was really good. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer SelectionKonaMarkDined on 6/15/2014Perfectly cooked Carbonara. Slightly overcooked Clams Casino. The Willow was the standout beer, followed closely by the Grover. Some beers available to go in bottles. Scallops appetizer very salty. The Simple Salad was terrible, but the Spring Salad was very good.Special Features:
- sflpDined on 6/14/2014This was my first experience at BlueJacket. I was very impressed by the service. All staff members that I interacted with were very pleasant and were able to assist with all of my questions. Great ambience with many unique beer selections. I would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot to grab a beerriderDined on 6/14/2014The Bluejacket is a beautifully designed brewery for people to come together and enjoy great beer, food, and company.Special Features:
- Love craft beer - Check it out!SaraDined on 6/9/2014If you love craft beer, you need to check this place out. Great vibe and wait staff!Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014My boyfriend and I went for a nice dinner and we both got entrees. He got the lamb neck and I got the short rib for entrees. Either were barely edible and definitely not worth $24 each. I got the tiniest 2x4 piece of fatty meat. It wasn't tasty fat either; I had to pick half of it away. His lamb neck tasted a bit better but there was barely any meat. I'll stick with burgers and beer if I ever go here again. It's sad because there's a great ambience and we had a great waitress but I'll only endure so much bad, pricey food for ambience.
- outside lunchThedonVIPDined on 6/5/2014Great wood grilled chicken and sour beer. Sitting outside is lovely minus the endless construction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 191 reviews are from the The Arsenal at Bluejacket reviews archive.
- Supper Club/Beer TastingBeckprDined on 6/2/2014We went on a Monday, and it was very quiet. The server was very friendly and attentive. I ordered 3 different beers tasting size. I liked that the glass was big enough where you could really taste and remember the beer flavor. I had the scallops and the raw Brussels Sprouts. I was apprehensive at first fearing that it be too much, but the server recommended them and indeed; they were very nice. I liked my scallops better. The appetizers were not big enough to share, or maybe just the scallops. My friend ordered tortellini and it was good, but I think she also mentioned that would need something else to be full. Overall, I would definitely come back to try the burgers. They looked delicious, and mt friends loved the fries.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/1/2014Great beer. Terrible and overpriced food. As long as you just plan to get bar food and beer then its a great place. Have been there a number of times for brunch and lunch and found the food just abysmal, unfortunately.