75 Northern Ave
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gatherboston.com/
- Phone: 6179827220
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday -Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm (late night menu until 1:00am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dennis Wilson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Gather
Gather is a full service restaurant and bar adjacent to District Hall that serves a menu of affordable, fresh, and inventive dishes inspired by modern-American cuisine. Located in Boston's fast-growing Seaport District, Gather offers guests a bright and airy space with a comfortable and energetic atmosphere for friends, co-workers and more to come together. The bar serves delicious cocktails, local craft beers and a wide selection of wines by the glass and bottle. Gather will serve lunch and dinner daily, with menus featuring creative and inventive dishes inspired by modern American cuisine. Worldly dishes will be alongside today’s standards such as chicken and waffles, flatbread pizza and cheeseburgers. The menu will feature snacks, fresh local seafood, entree salads and daily specials.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gather reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (98)scenic view (69)good for groups (58)neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (48)great for lunch (46)hot spot (44)vibrant bar scene (43)late-night find (20)special occasion (17)great for brunch (10)romantic (10)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Food was okAvon25Dined on 7/5/2014Do not get the sangria. It was worst I've ever had - basically watered down cheap wine with little fruit and no sweetness.
- A nice place to gatherNooshejanDined on 7/5/2014Great outdoor seating area with a good selection of beers. Better suited for drinks and apps than entreesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly AdequateAimeeDined on 7/2/2014My girlfriend and I dined at Gather prior to attending a Cirque du Soleil performance. We found it clean, the staff attentive, and the food was adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mostly goodtrainerVIPDined on 7/2/2014First visit. A bit noisy with not great acoustics. Most meals in our party of 6 were fine. Steak was overcooked and somewhat small. Turkey club was average, not offered a choice of bread. Jambalaya was very tasty, good portion. Lobster roll good. Server pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- more professional serviceCurtVIPDined on 6/30/2014the waitress thought you put olives in gin & tonics. requests for additional plates, set up ignored and forgotten. shrimp breading was watery, like it was done! nice servers but too inexperienced at these pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City Flair DiningDj2014Dined on 6/27/2014We went to Gather just before having to head to the airport for vacation and the location was perfect. The service, scene and food was great. The children's options were perfect and the drinks were refreshing and different. Food was fresh and light feeling which left room for yummy dessert after. Great spot to be part of the city and atmosphere.Special Features:
- HowieVIPDined on 6/25/2014Not great. Good for some bar bites, sandwiches, and that clam chowder. Not so much for the full meals. Nice location and cool dining room + outdoorsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch SpotTamieLVIPDined on 6/25/2014I sat outside in this instance that I went to Gather. The service was great as usual. the outdoor seating faces the waterfront/Boston Harbor. I had a light lunch (mango cucumber salad) since it was 88 degrees out but it was filling and well presented. Definitely a convenient place to get quick lunch, be outside and get back to work without a wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great casual diningWfearleyDined on 6/21/2014Our table was ready for us. The steamers were very good and hot. The lobster salad and the scrod were perfect. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- westofbostonDined on 6/18/2014Restaurant is VERY loud - could not hear my friends on the other side of the table. 2 tables were moved together and were not even, so we had to be aware not to spill our drinks. Food was very, very average. Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. Needs lots of improvements.
- Good lunch; noisy surroundingsMayorSalesDined on 6/16/2014Lunch salad was very good and others enjoyed their dishes. Good outdoor setup to enjoy a nice sunny day. The problem is that Northern Avenue at lunch on a weekday is a mess of dump trucks, seafood delivery trucks and other very loud vehicles that rumble by and force you to stop the conversation until they pass. Not sure there is anything Gather can do to solve this but if you are looking for a peaceful lunch this might not be the spotSpecial Features:
- ehanyoungDined on 6/14/2014while the location and view were excellent and the decor romantic, the food was really mediocre. there are so many better restaurants in south boston and especially in that area. maybe better to grab a drink there and move on elsewhere for dinner. we had the short rib mashed potato pizza and the short rib meat was so dry it tasted like inorganic material, i had to pick it all off. ink squid pasta was also poorly cooked and really underwhelming.Special Features:
- I'll go backKrisCDined on 6/13/2014Gather has a great vibe to it. Sadly not on the water but part of the bustling Seaport District. The food was definitely up to par. We had the hummus plate, chips & dip, and chicken with waffles for apps. The dip (onion) for the chips could have had but more flavor but I dipped in the hummus so all was good. Dinner was statler chicken, lobster Cobb, steak frites, and St. Louis baby back ribs. All plates were completely clean!!! Dessert was banana split and chocolate layer cake. Yummmmmm!! Now for the missing star. The drinks were yummy but a very light pour. I had three cocktails. At any other place I'd have a nice buzz at Gather I was fine. Go for beer or straight alcohol if you want a buzz ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Working out the kinksColbylisaDined on 6/12/2014We went to Gather as a group of 4 on the way to a concert, so had an early 6:00 Rez. At this point the after work crowd was in full force and the bar was packed. Our server was funny and pleasant but took our drink order and disappeared for a good 30 minutes. Someone else when asked where the drinks were responded that the bar was busy...sigh. We ordered a series of small plates, some of which were delicious and others really mediocre. Get the duck tacos and the spicy shrimp, avoid the hummus and tapenade (bland) and the pizza with short ribs (dry). It's a fun locale and environment but needs to work out the kinks before we'd go back.
- Briar group does it again w/GatherOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/12/2014Love the entire set up here. Same friendly service I've grown accustomed to at all their locations and the food is awesome!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food wasn't that greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/7/2014Food wasn't that great for the price they charge. Not a great menu to choose from.
- unfriendly serviceMSAngeDined on 6/7/2014Went here recently for dinner with my partner. I am vegan and I specified that when making the reservation. The menu contains a couple vegetarian options of cheesy pasta and a veggie burger. I was not particularly excited about either so I asked the waiter for suggestions and other options. Apparently asking for modifications at this restaurant is a huge bother and the waiter did nothing to hide his unhappiness with me. I have never felt so unwelcome at a restaurant before. The place also seemed under-staffed and hurried. I would not recommend this place even if you don't need any accommodations. There are many other amazing restaurants in this area that you should check out instead.
- Terrific on a warm summer daySammiDined on 6/7/2014Great menu, great service, beautiful view and very good food. What's not to love?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southendjayDined on 6/6/2014A beautiful Friday evening was capped off with a delicious meal at Gather. My friends and I enjoyed cocktails (the margarita was one of the best I've had in the city) and split 4 things from the menu. The gnocchi practically melted in my mouth, the bang bang shrimp was amazing and the ceviche was the favorite of the table. Our waiter was attentive, friendly and knew the menu well (despite just starting two months prior). Overall, I would say this was one of the best dining experiences I've had in Boston. I look forward to coming back here soon!Special Features:
- SouthEndResidentDined on 6/6/2014You can't deny the ambience and scenic view of the waterfront. The food was good but unfortunately I found that THING you NEVER want to find in your salad (hair). The waitress did remove it from the bill. Other dishes we had were yummy. I would recommend and I would go back and try again but I wouldn't say it's excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014The price to add chicken to a salad was way too high. There is now way that a salad should come out to $23 unless it is the greatest salad known to man. Besides this, everything else was great!Special Features:
- Too expensive for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/4/2014This is a cool spot in an increasingly vibrant neighborhood. Checked it out for lunch and was surprised by the prices, especially considering quantities. I ordered a scallop salad and it was a handful of greens (stalks of them) with one or two small scallops that were sliced thin to appear as if there was more on the plate. This for $17. I find that robbery. Larger entrees were $24+. This is way too expensive for lunch. Their price/portion offering at lunch should be revisited.Special Features:
- Average to below average experiencewillworkforfoodVIPDined on 6/1/2014It billed as an innovative dining experience, but the food was not much different than many other casual modern American restaurants. It is perhaps drawing this characterization from their co-location with a tech start up incubator. The service was below average. One of my colleagues ordered steamers. She sent them back because there was a significant amount of sand, as they had not been properly washed. She was told that she could wash them off in the cooking liquid. That is a very ignorant suggestion. She asked to have them replaced with raw oysters, which she did not eat because there were shells in them. It was a frustrating experience. That said, I did have a lovely order of oysters, that were clean, and a nice lobster roll.
- First Time in BostonMikeisGreatDined on 5/30/2014This was our first visit to Boston and went to Gather with our two children. We were in a booth having dinner and a group was standing behind our booth by the bar. A woman dropped her glass of red wine on my daughter's head. My daughter had red wine on her clothes and her hair and the woman and her group never acknowledged or apologized. There was broken glass and the group was not even worried about picking this up. My husband and our waiter did. Definitely never experienced anything like this before. Our waiter, Mike, was excellent, charming, and very apologetic even though it wasn't his fault. The food was excellent and the free dessert too. This was a memorable experience. Beware if you bring your kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat space, food needs workFoodiefunVIPDined on 5/30/2014Chicken and waffles are fairly tasteless, need a zip of maple syrup and heat. The shrimp were greasy and not as described. The chowder was good but could have used more clams. Prices were high for the food we received. The space is nice and if they refined their menu we'd maybe go back to sit on the patioSpecial Features:
- Average experienceterynVIPDined on 5/30/2014Went to Gather before an event at the World Trade Center. Ambiance was good if a bit loud and our waitress was really great. Half of our party liked their food but didn't think it was anything special (both burgers); two parties did not (one burger, one jambalaya that was overly salty and very sandy from the clams). Bathrooms are located in a hallway outside the restaurant, and it was a bit hard to get there and back due to the crowd at the entrance.
- Loud.ChuckDined on 5/29/2014Maybe I'm showing my age (50) but my overall focus was on the noise level. The relatively small environment and large, flat surfaces amplifies all conversations - not the place for an intimate get together. That being said - I though the food and service were great. The wait staff were very attentive and friendly.
- Ok at bestSBdinerDined on 5/27/2014This was my second visit to Gather and I was thoroughly disappointed. It started off with me having to walk up to the host and asking that he send over a server. The server apologized for having ignored our group of six. We had to ask for extra napkins and utensils at least three times before the waiter remembered to bring them over. He then proceeded to leave our water glasses empty for the majority of the evening and then spilling half a glass of red wine on my boyfriend. They comped some food and left the GM's card to pay for the mishap but the only redeeming part of the experience was that the wine miraculously didn't stain his shirt or jeans (thank you All with OxiClean).
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014Great place for dinner and friends. First time and will have to go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 49 reviews are from the Gather reviews archive.
- Great Food and Fun Waiter1ACEVIPDined on 5/17/2014Everything from yummy chicken waffle bites, great steamers, delicious salads to beer in a bag and a special shout out to our fabulous waiter Sven "Chris". We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and missFoodieDined on 5/11/2014The restaurant had a lovely interior design and ambience. However the food didn't live up to the standard, both the cod and salmon were overlooked. However, had great potential. A little disappointing though given the hype.Special Features:
- Has so much potential...SEG16VIPDined on 5/11/2014Gather is in a great location by the seaport. Went for mother's day lunch. I had the burger and it was just ok, lacked some flavor even though it was covered in their special sauce (russian dressing). Their cod also lacked a lot of flavor, it was very bland. My mom enjoyed her chowder and lobster roll. The thing we liked the most was their vanilla ice cream because it wasn't too sweet. Despite it being 85% empty, the service was incredibly slow. It took a really long time to get our food, and I just didn't understand why. The decor is nice and it has a large outdoor patio, which is great for the summer. This place has so much potential; it just needs to improve it's food and get faster service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceAlyJakDined on 5/9/2014We were pleased with the menu options - both for the food and cocktails. They were fun and creative but not over the top. Our waiter, Chris, was absolutely hysterical and we would go back just to have him wait on us again. Overall, it was a great. Great location in the seaport with views of the harbor, fun atmosphere, creative reasonably priced food and a great attentive staff. We will certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/8/2014probably best for after-work drinks/apps, which were creative and delicious. our entrees were subpar, but will give the place another shot.Special Features:
- Nice experience, could be betterPabloDined on 5/6/2014The food at Gather was good, but not stellar. The ribs were a bit tough, and the clam roll (not whole belly clams btw) seemed small and with too much batter. The curry tarter sauce was interesting, but I left just really wishing they stuck to a more traditional palette done really well rather than experiment with food done just "okay."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good findJanGVIPDined on 5/5/2014great location and great food; very reasonable prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy, Needs Work.SpizzerDined on 5/3/2014We came here for dinner on a Saturday night. The restaurant was small, quiet for the Seaport, and openly attached to an art gallery (which was strange). Between appetizers and main dishes, all 4 of us we were pleasantly satisfied with our meals (HIGHLY recommend the chicken and waffles). However, it was a little overpriced for the portion sizes. Our waiter, whose name I cannot remember, was fantastic. He was attentive and made drink recommendations based on our preferences, his personal opinions, and what we were eating. Left annoyed though- we ordered a carafe of sangria ($30) instead of individuals ($10/each) for a little extra enjoyment, and got a bunch of ice with what tasted like watered down juice - switched to beer after that.Special Features:
- Great for drinks and apps!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2014We had a great time, since the entrees were a little lacking and there were no specials we decided to make a dinner on several apps which were very tasty. It was too cold to eat outside but that looked like it would be great for summer. Looks like a hipster spot but there was a pretty diverse crowd. Not cheap but lots of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complete packageOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/1/2014Awesome location, atmosphere and service. What a cool place, we had drinks and snack food, but all was excellent.Special Features:
- Below ExpectationsnewyokohamaDined on 4/26/2014That moment when you realize you ordered a $15 pizza with short rib and truffled mashed potato. Only when it arrives, you don't have a pizza, you have a rectangle flatbread, missing the mashed potato, and the meat on it is not short rib. (I'm not stupid.) Welcome the first bad restaurant of the new Waterfront era.Special Features: