3228 Sacramento Street
San Francisco, CA 94115Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nicosf.com/
- Phone: 4153591000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday through Saturday 5:30pm-Close
Nico will be closed for one week in January and one week in July each year. The 2014 closure dates are January 21-25 and July 1-5.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Nicolas Delaroque
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: The Maple Room at Nico, is our private dining room, named for it"s table that is crafted from a solid plank of maple and sits directly beneath a large skylight. The room accommodates 7-14 people comfortably, and is nestled away from both the main dining room as well as the kitchen, creating a truly private experience.
A word from Nico
We offer a small market driven menu that changes nightly, with wine pairings offered by the glass and half glass to accompany your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nico reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)neighborhood gem (59)special occasion (38)notable wine list (37)romantic (31)hot spot (14)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great choiceDBA1VIPDined on 3/29/2014I booked a reservation for my birthday after reading the review of this restaurant in the San Francisco Chronicle. I'm so glad I did. We were a party of five and given the perfect table in front of the kitchen. We watched as they prepared the wonderful good and brought it out to the tables. From cocktails to dessert everything we ordered was perfect. Wine markups are the most reasonable I've seen in a very long time. It's a place I plan on returning to for any special occasion or just dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shame about the ServicePeterDined on 3/29/2014The food is great (particularly the peas and the lamb) and it's a wonderful addition to the neighborhood. Unfortunately the terrific cuisine is undermined by poor service. 20 minutes from being seated to asking for an apperetif order. Little knowledge of the wine pairings. General confusion about menu items, preferences, time between courses. Seemed like the servers just didn't care that much.Special Features:
- Elegant, relaxing, delicious & funDine4funDined on 3/28/2014My friend & I tried Nico on a Friday night. The crowd was a mix of couples & groups, with a casual elegance. We had a really good time, enjoyed the option to pair 1/2 glasses of wine with each course. We had the oysters, croquettes, beets, English peas., Halibut. & duck. All of the food was delicious, especially the Halibut - amazing texture & taste & the Duck was perfectly cooked and so tasty. My least favorite was the English peas, but only because it had toasted farrow-- my first time with farrow-- for me it over powered the freshness of the peas. You can see into the kitchen here, separated by glass , & it is very tightly run. The chef came out towards the end of our meal. We'll be back for it's charming elegance & tasty food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service doesn't do theSWfromSFVIPDined on 3/27/2014The service doesn't do the food justice, especially having to send back the white wine twice because it was not chilled to the proper temperature.
- Yippee!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/26/2014This is a wonderful addition to the neighborhood! Lovely service and imaginative but not weird food. What a treat to have it nearby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, cool surroundingsAddieVIPDined on 3/25/2014Great service, cool surroundings (gorgeous light fixtures!), very good food. Can get loud, though -- hard surfaces.Special Features:
- DisappointedDinerVIPDined on 3/25/2014We were so excited to try this new neighborhood restaurant and disappointed in the minimal menu options, very small portions, overall bland food, and expensive wine list. The service was on the slow side that we waited so long between entree and dessert that we decided to skip desert. Also, definitely not a place for small children, though we had left ours at home. We left feeling underfed, underwhelmed, and out of pocket.
- StellarrungirlsfDined on 3/22/2014I am absolutely blown away from our dinner last night. From the moment we stepped through the door to leaving, everything was spot on. The food is simply stellar...I felt transported back to Paris. The service was PERFECT. I cannot wait to go back. And the pour/tastings of vintage champagne...fantastic!!Special Features:
- Interesting eating experienceHappy2Dined on 3/22/2014This was a good find for having an unusual eating experience; not your topical menu choices, interesting pairings with dishes, knowledgeable staff about food and wine, no problem adjusting dishes to my tastes. It was a true eating experience not just the dishes y could make yourself gat home. Really enjoyed the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service & wine pairingsDaveInSFDined on 3/21/2014Tried Nico for the first time. I noticed a few reviews complaining about bad service, but our service was outstanding. It felt like 5 star service despite the menu's 3 star pricing. The menu is very limited, but the food was excellent. The best part of our meal was the wine pairings. They offer the choice of 3 or 6 oz. pours. We went with the 3 oz. so we could try more wines. The suggested pairings were excellent. The sommelier poured each glass, and explained each of the wines in great detail. We normally bring our own wine and pay corkage, but when we return to Nico we will stick with the wine pairings.Special Features:
- Beautiful food excellent serviceminmmkVIPDined on 3/21/2014Saw the write up in the chronicle and excited about a "neighborhood" fine dining experience. the food was visually amazing tasted wonderful if only mini gripe would be the desserts....they weren't out of this world on taste but they were beautiful. all in all a decadent experienceSpecial Features:
- One of the best dinners I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/18/2014One of the best dinners I've ever had. Food, wine pairings and service were amazing. Thank you team Nico.Special Features:
- SighOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/15/2014Not sure what happened, but the service was terrible and the food was underwhelming. Our entrees came out cool and it just didn't taste all that fantastic. I guess I had higher expectations considering Bauer and the yelp reviews, but it wasn't our experience.
- Amazing Food; Ok ServicebodaVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food was wonderful - I had several completely surprising dishes with surprising flavors and beautiful presentation. And I loved the wine pairing with each dish. The service, however, was too lax. We had trouble flagging down waiters, the staff didn't seem to know which course we were on, and though friendly, they all seemed a bit clueless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014Great place to have an extraordinary dinner with the best Price/quality of San Francisco (even In Paris we don't find this price / quality). Server tooks time to translate the menu to France. A master Wine Waiter provides the best agreement between your meal and the marvelous wine cavern. NIco even rears his specific aromate. For the story it is the first time I ate Oyster in my 38 years old life !!! Thank you. MERCI. I will recommend to my friend, colleague and customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portions are a bit small,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/13/2014Portions are a bit small, but the food was good and overall a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and beautiful food/winesftswVIPDined on 3/11/2014We are so happy to have Nico in our neighborhood. His food is delicious and beautiful without being fussy. Malcom is a fantastic somelier and his recommendations and wine list are spot on and second to none. We find the restaurant to be a little cold in temperature which is the only reason it's not a 5. This is a casual spot with fantastic food and wine. Modern Bistro +++ Everything is done to perfection. We love it. Shhhhhhh!Special Features:
- Noise level ruined the eveningmimiDined on 3/4/2014The food and service were very good but we agreed that the overall experience was diminished by the extremely loud noise level. It made conversation with our friends (party of 4) almost impossible and we all felt exhausted when we left the restaurant. The decor is great but the noise level is exacerbated by entirely hard surfaces. Since noise is the #1 complaint on Zagat we don't understand why restaurants continue to encourage this annoyance.Special Features:
- The food was, in a word, outstandinOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014The food was, in a word, outstanding. We were impressed that Nico himself spoke with many of the patrons, asking if everything was alright. Truly, this restaurant is phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Sheriff in townPat07Dined on 2/27/2014Welcome NICO! So nice that we have another fine dining choice in the area. The meal prep and presentation is of superior quality which puts NICO at a slightly higher level than Garibaldi's which is also fine. Service is efficient and friendly and the décor pleasant, but at the end of the day it's the meal and the value. While the cost is significant the food supports it, both in design and the labor that must go into it. Thoughtful touch is the ability to pair glasses or half-glasses of wine with any of the courses. If you want to talk go early as the dining room is noisy due to high reflective surfaces so common in today's restaurants. At least the visible kitchen is shielded. Quaint "bar-light" as you enter is a nice touch.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. NeedsTDoyleVIPDined on 2/26/2014Food was excellent. Needs much better acoustics....difficult to hear person right across the table from you. Not the place for someone looking for "big" portions. Menu changes frequently but they say they always have a fish and vegetarian dish. Corkage fee is $30, which is high for the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Wish I could walk to it!FilippoVIPDined on 2/26/2014We went for dinner here last week as well. If anything, it was even better. Exceptional wine pairing menu with recommended glass pours for each course. Love it. Very refined food at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific short menu / wine pairingsSausalitoVIPDined on 2/22/2014Nico is off to a truly great start with thoughtfully prepared food, terrific wine pairings, and great friendly service. All but one of the dishes were really terrific. The one that fell short was cabbage with truffles. Unfortunately the truffle slices had almost no taste. Overall this was a great experience. I hope we can get in for our next special occasion.Special Features:
- DisappointedJEMPVIPDined on 2/21/2014Nico was a very disappointing experience. 4 of us shared 4 starters and there was barely enough for a taste of each for each person. My entrée sounded interesting and complex, focused around cabbage It was really small and had nothing to it. You have to request bread by the slice. Wine is only by the glass, and what I ordered with my entrée (paired for you) never made it to me...and I dare you to get the attention of a server or the sommelier. All were way over extended. The dessert I ordered, a beet almond creation sounded great and looked very pretty but had no flavor. Restaurants have gusto with the prices they charge, and I am happy to pay whatever the price for a lovely meal, but this restaurant was a total disappointment.
- Super food/great wine serviceFilippoVIPDined on 2/20/2014Six of us truly enjoyed our experience at Nico. Special wines from our cellars were handled exceptionally well by the owner/som. The restaurant's wine list is very good and had an excellent white Chateauneuf-du-Pape recommended by the sommelier. The food was excellent and every dish "sparkled." We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a restaurantLanerDined on 2/20/2014We found this after reading an article in the SF Chronicle. It was such a find. They have a limited menu (4 items) which changes daily and is paired with wines. The food was amazing and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemMarkyMarkDined on 2/18/2014The food was eclectic and excellent. Combinations and seasonings were extraordinary. Great recommendation from Wine Director complimented both black cod and leg of lamb. The service staff works together like an all star team. Everyone, led by the owner and chef, is committed to delivering a fine dining and memorable experience. We're hope to make Nico's our "go to" place. Fantastic bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now 4 months since opening,DrJackVIPDined on 2/18/2014Now 4 months since opening, with lots of praise from all directions, we had a mixed experience. Outstanding service and great wine choice. Food was imaginative and beautifully presented but "what were they thinking?" in a few places. Raw asparagus with crab made both the crab and the wine taste off. Same idea in artichoke with lamb tongue. We still had a great time, and suspect that the wild ideas will be toned down a bit as time goes on.Special Features:
- A grat French Bistro resstaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/18/2014A grat French Bistro resstaurant. The Chef/owner came to the table to ask if we were pleased with the service etc. The answer was a firm YES. The portion sizes were to our liking and we were glad we could order ale carte. Splendid restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nico's is a new find for us.liquidmanVIPDined on 2/15/2014Nico's is a new find for us. We'll definitely go back. Innovative menu and wine pairings, and low key atmosphere in a tastefully designed restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentmikeVIPDined on 2/15/2014Nico is really hitting on all cylinders! Excellent service from the front door to the table: friendly, warm, smart. The restaurant is roomy, yet intimate. Our "Bites" (goat chees and squash beignet and pork rillettes) were insane! Could have eaten just that all night. Our Starters (crab salad and lamb tongue salad) were just as good. The entrees (beef with sunchokes and chicken with chanterelles) were very good. The real star, though, was the stellar wine pairings. In 18 years in SF, this was some of the smartest pairings we've ever had. And unlike most restaurants, you can chose between 3/6 ounce pairings for as many or few courses as you like (i.e. don't have to get pairings for every course). Hope they keep it up!Special Features:
- Way over-priced and disengagedSpecialKVIPDined on 2/11/2014I have been to Nicos twice now - once we sat at the bar and the other time had dinner. Both times the Servers/Bar Director has had a bit of an attitude, like they were bored or disengaged; there certainly was no spring in the step to over-deliver. The wine and food menu are extremely limited and not very creative, yet the prices are sky high. I'm disappointed, because this Pac Heights neighborhood really needs a good, new, "go-to" restaurant and I was hoping Nicos would be it. Not.
- Over-ratedJeanVIPDined on 2/5/2014Restaurant was okay but not anywhere the rave given it by Michael Bauer. Didn't really like the menu choices the night we were there. Beef dish was tasteless and vegetarian dish was very small portion. Did like the wine pairing idea though.
- disappointing dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/5/2014Food arrived and although tasty the portions were so small, everyone was hungry after. The bread was sliced very thin and we had to ask for more.The salad was tiny, the soup barely covered the base of the bowl and the trout which 4 people ate, was enough for a few mouthfuls. No acknowledgement of the anniversary ( we had informed at arrival) and when questioning this, we were told they don't " do " anniversaries. We complained about the quantity of food and were informed we should have ordered all 5 courses.The cost of the entrees were $25.00 plus so we were not expecting, nor told, we should order more courses. Also extremely noisy and hard ot have a conversation. This was too bad and none of us will return.
- Although the food is delicious,Baba6Dined on 2/5/2014Although the food is delicious, portions are on the small side.Special Features:
- Wish i liked it betterBerkeleysideDined on 2/1/2014My cod was not memorable--although my partners' chicken was.The chicken was very interesting, complex, and a sufficient serving size to be complete--very unlike my seafood. Plus, the seafood was lukewarm and greens on the side were cold (I am not sure that was the intent) The food is very elegant, very art directed, very complex--which is great. the wine list is great. I really struggle to comment on price but the mixed green salad, both beautiful and delicious, was minuscule (the server knew we planned on sharing). It was very beautifully arranged in an arc along one side of the plate, one could not help but notice that most of the plate was empty. I came away hungry, not comfortably sated without being stuffed but longing for more food.Special Features:
- Haute Bistro CuisinemetooVIPDined on 2/1/2014Nico has elevated the bistro experience by providing elegant food at a bistro price. Service is attentive and the chef and sommelier both checked in on my experience. A great addition to the Bay Area dining experience.Special Features:
- Banished to the banquet roomSFfoodieDined on 1/31/2014We were a group of 6 and were seated in the banquet room at the back of the restaurant. The room was much too large for our small group. It was awkward. It was cold in the room, there was no music, yuck. The food was amazing, but the atmosphere was a downer. Make sure they don't put you in that room unless you have a large group...
- Wine problemsPatrDined on 1/30/2014The wine selection was very limited and overly expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing like the 3.5 starBocuseVIPDined on 1/29/2014Nothing like the 3.5 star review The service was very poor. Took almost an hour before she took our order, after a long wait for the sommelier to assist with the wine choice. Long waits between courses For the style of food they want to present a slice of bread on a plate seemed odd. Food was nicely presented on the plates but none of our group of four who eat out regularly thought the dishes were favorful. Two of our group ordered the lamb and asked that it be cooked to medium and it was not cooked enough and it was not tender.Special Features: