3228 Sacramento Street
San Francisco, CA 94115Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nicosf.com/
- Phone: 4153591000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday through Saturday 5:30pm-Close
Nico will be closed for one week in January and one week in July each year. The 2014 closure dates are January 21-25 and July 1-5.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Nicolas Delaroque
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: The Maple Room at Nico, is our private dining room, named for it"s table that is crafted from a solid plank of maple and sits directly beneath a large skylight. The room accommodates 7-14 people comfortably, and is nestled away from both the main dining room as well as the kitchen, creating a truly private experience.
A word from Nico
We offer a small market driven menu that changes nightly, with wine pairings offered by the glass and half glass to accompany your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nico reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (59)special occasion (39)notable wine list (38)romantic (31)hot spot (14)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Perfect!KleemanimalDined on 9/17/2014The entire night was a perfect execution of food, wine, and beauty. The restaurant is comfortable, the food was flawlessly executed, and the wine a wonderful course-by-course complement. And all of this worked due to a wonderful waiter to help us pull it all off. Make sure to find time to enjoy this sensational restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb presentation & tasteADMACDined on 9/10/2014My first visit to Nico was a real treat. The menu is interesting and in spite of the minimalist approach to the number of dishes, I found it difficult to choose among those listed...I found I wanted to order everything, but settled on the duck for main course. Combination of breast and confit artistically presented with wonderful taste..the rhubarb foam hit the right note. The wine pairings were wonderful. Leave room for dessert...I can still taste the chocolate mousse with raspberries & meringue toasts. Watching the kitchen staff assemble the meal was fascinating and a real draw.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningMajorTomDined on 9/6/2014This was our second time dining here and once again we were blown away by the food. This is fine dining in a neighborhood gem with some very unique presentations and preparations. The wine pairings are an added bonus. Very reasonable price point given the quality of the food and service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Perfect meal start to finishIngallDined on 9/6/2014The oysters were outstanding, you got 3, and they were buttery and sweet. I had the duck leg confit and breast for my main course. Most restaurant usually only get one of them perfectly cooked. At Nico both the leg and the breast were perfectly cooked and the skin on the breast was crispy and perfectly rendered. For dessert, our party of 4 had one of everything. The presentation was unique and the favors were well thought out. I had the cheese course, which had a nice collection of cheeses (3) a goat, cow, and sheep with an amazing tomato preserve. I Highly recommend this restaurant and I'll be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary ExplorerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Nico restaurant is an absolute gem! First of all the service was outstanding! The octopus appetizer, the duck entree and grilled romaine topped with a fried egg and snails were outstanding! Great wine pairings as well. The berry dessert w/ creme fraische, a sprinkle of crunchiness and hay infused ice cream was possibly the best dessert I've ever eaten. And there have been many! We were visited by the owner/ chef three different times in a very quiet, genuine and non intrusive way asking how everything was. Fabulous of course! We couldn't be more pleased! The restaurant has great ambiance. A nice level of chatter that is perfect for having your own personal conversation. Will highly recommend Nico to my dearest friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost greatPrinceOrloffVIPDined on 9/2/2014Very small but creative menu that changes daily based on what's fresh. A brilliant and well-chosen wine list. Casual yet chic setting. Terrific waitstaff (super friendly but totally professional). Romantic in a subtle way. But I feel the chef is holding back. His menu conceptions are provocative, but it seems everything is toned down and "tasteful." Don't get me wrong: you'll have an excellent meal. But the "wow" factor is missing. And Nico could "wow" because it knows how. This is an artist in his early stages, still a bit bound by "correctness." But anyone who's serious about food should go NOW. I's the beginning of a dialogue about where excellent cuisine is headed in San Francisco and whether this town can support such talent.Special Features:
- Great Date night placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014This resturant has an amazing and beautiful interior. Great for a date night. The service is impeccable and the food presentation is beautiful and flawless. But beauty does not equal great flavor. We were very disappointed with the food. Is seems that the method of cooking is not imparting much flavor into the food. The meats are rather bland and flavorless. I don't know if it is just the method of cooking or the quality of meats. My Lamb basically looked and tasted raw. It was tough to chew due to the lack of firmness of being undercooked and the amount of grizzle in it. The vegetables and fruits, like tomatoes and watermelons seemed lackluster in flavor even tho they are supposed to be at their peak of flavor this time of year (summer).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great creative food.boring wineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014Food outstanding. Service random. Wine is a disaster. Terrible selections. Would definitely come back for the food but I will bring my own wine and tolerate the mediocre service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gemGabsaacVIPDined on 8/23/2014Excellent and creative plates, friendly service, great tastes and combinations. Would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sincewhenVIPDined on 8/21/2014Expensive, nothing reasonable on the menu, but delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal & Attention to DetailsSenorRexDined on 8/19/2014I don't mind paying for a good meal but I choke at spending $250/person on a meal that is made from the same ingredients & is less interesting than other fine restaurants. Nico's produces truly interesting food without gouging their customers. It is not cheap but very reasonable. My wife & I share our meals because we enjoy tasting how talented chefs create meals plates. Every thing at our table was well thought out & extremely well prepared. From bread, to wine parings everything was delicious and felt like it was part of a well planned meal. The oysters were fresh, the juices superb. Soup & salad were interesting & main plates were delicious. Also impressed at how kitchen & service people worked as a team to deliver great meal...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality over QuantityGregVIPDined on 8/19/20144 of us went for our first time on a Tuesday night. Menu is very short so you don't have a lot of options - but the quality of everything on the plate was top notch in terms of ingredient quality, imagination and presentation. I had chickpea fries with a great sauce that everyone jumped in on. My main course was a roasted rabbit loin that was moist in the middle and rich/crusty on the outside - just the way I wanted it and very hard to do. The wine options are longer than the menu, and they make recommendations for every dish. The wine service was great. Service staff is superb.Special Features:
- Very disappointing -- pricey+boringJohnnytVIPDined on 8/15/2014Nico had received glowing write-ups from the SF Chronicle restaurant reviewer and the restaurant issue of San Francisco magazine, but disappointed our party of three (pretty experienced restaurant diners) across the board. Food wasn't bad -- just ordinary. Service wasn't unpleasant -- just sketchy, inattentive, and impersonal. Decor wasn't off-putting -- just bland and sterile. Extremely limited menu, from which we tried a total of eight dishes, none of them memorable: an odd and unsuccessful treatment of snails out of their shells with sauteed vegetables; oysters that were OK but not properly chilled; braised lamb with eggplant that was lacking any real spark of inspiration. A quite expensive venue that just doesn't deliver on any count.
- Fine diningMaryDined on 8/14/2014Menu selection unusual with each dish outstanding in presentation and flavor...fine dining at its best. Wine menu a bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, innovativetwildbDined on 8/13/2014Great small restaurant. Fantastic wine list repping old world. Knowledgable staff to help navigate. Fun offering: they pop a magnum of champagne every night and offer it by the glass. Best lamb I've ever eaten! It will be tough to get in there shortly. Chef is very engaged. Came out after service to chat. Welcoming, lovely, attention to detail in every aspect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Pleasant ExperienceMimiDined on 8/12/2014We loved Nico Restaurant and will go back. The hostess and our server were very friendly and professional. We all loved the food. Service was slightly slow but we did not mind since there were four of us and we had great conversations between courses. One minor complaint: we would have liked to see a more reasonably priced white sparkling wine on the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood French BistromarsVIPDined on 8/12/2014The food was very well prepared, but the small menu can make for problems in finding items for picky eaters. The wine pairings were well-suited to the menu. Service was attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experiencecleoVIPDined on 8/9/20141. food: the menu changes daily so the selection is limited - however it is like the best of the best and having only a set number of items per day allows each selection to be very special and flavorful. Thanks to the chef who also was willing to change one of the dishes for us to make it vegetarian. the wine pairings were excellent & really enhanced the experience. 2. really warm and great service. no attitude and very helpful. the woman who brought the bread really made the experience great. The waiter was also very good at explaining the dishes and wines which was helpful. 3. the ambiance was really warm and romantic. Love the decor and liked that it wasn't noisy. The only suggestion would be to have more comfy chairsSpecial Features:
- Entrees not as good as bitesCat1Dined on 8/2/2014The entrees were mediocre compared to the bites, stArters, cheeses , and desserts. I would not order an entree and get 2 bites and or 2 starters next time I goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been amazingMissKTVIPDined on 7/31/2014Unfortunately, our much anticipated dining experience fell short at Nico. While I understand the chef insisting on cooking the halibut medium, that is not what we were served. One of our friends asked if it could be cooked a little more when she ordered and the server explained that the chef would not do that and that she was welcome to select from one of the 3 other entrees (duck, veal, or vegetarian) The 4 of us all ordered the halibut, one was medium as expected, the others were rare. We sent 3 back and they did cook them more thouroughly but we were surprised that they served us the original pieces of fish and delivered them to the table without any regard for who's plate belonged to whom. The entree was delicious once it was cooked!Special Features:
- Smart wine pairings; slow serviceMasVinoDined on 7/29/2014The menu was limited but smartly paired with impressive wines. I enjoyed the heirloom tomato starter which included watermelon (very nice) and seaweed (unusual and too fishy). We all had the halibut main which was tender and perfectly sautéed. Nico is located is a great neighborhood and the decor is very stylish. The service was slow (which was surprising because the restaurant is small with a limited number of tables). Last thing I'd add... the wine by glass was priced by the 1/2 glass for $10 and $20 for a "full glass"... so I went for the "full glass" which I expected to be an extremely healthy pour but it was hardly "full"... I almost asked if she misunderstood my order and poured me a 1/2 glass in error. Oh well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an outstanding mealSausalitoVIPDined on 7/29/2014This is our third visit to Nico. The first visit blew us away. The second was just not as good as the first and a disappointment. However, on my third visit, every course was really great and of course the wine pairings were fantastic. These service was friendly and good. Overall, a very positive experience. We tried the rabbit rillet, the fantastic utterly tender squid, and the lamb. Every dish was great. My only quibble was that it got so noisy that everybody was shouting. I would really like to see more sound deadening.Special Features:
- An absolute gem!foodieforlifeDined on 7/29/2014Impeccable food, creative, artistic execution and presentation, extremely friendly service and attention to detail. Beautiful space, clean. Overall though the creativity and tastiness of the dishes are phenomenal and will keep coming back for many more dinners here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dancerdancerVIPDined on 7/19/2014The octopus and salmon were outstanding. We were helped to order a wine which we liked very much. dSpecial Features:
- Lovely birthday dinnerPandaBearDined on 7/12/2014Went here to celebrate my birthday. The service was excellent, with just one perceptible delay getting my cocktail (but the server was really apologetic). The food was gorgeously plated and delicious, with novel but compatible ingredients. I ordered four courses (rabbit rillette bites, squid appetizer, braised lamb loin with red spinach and Little Gem greens, and macerated berries with white chocolate foam), with a glass of Chateauneuf de Pape. Portions were FINE (don't understand what others had a problem with), and we were FULL after four courses (we did not order a cheese course). Little bit pricey ($62 apiece before gratuities). The room is comfortable, and we could still hear each other when the dining room was full at 8 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super NicoFilippoVIPDined on 6/27/2014Great place for essentially a four course dinner or more courses if you share plates. Superior food which is perfectly seasoned. Very, very noisy.Special Features:
- Great the 2d timerw25VIPDined on 6/27/2014Often restaurants don't match up to your first experience. The first time we ate at Nico's was extraordinary in all respects. Great wine parings and food that was about the best we had eaten. Tis 2d visit was at the same level. The food was exceptional. The lamb was the best I have ever had. The rabbit was perfect. The wine pairings made every dish come alive. Service was spot on. We will be back!Special Features:
- Adventurous dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014If you are willing to trust a talented chef and have an eclectic palate this is a great place for you. if on the other hand you want the classic or more traditional French bistro you should look elsewhere. the servers were like an oiled machine each course with new cutlery, each plate taken at the proper moment. The kitchen definitely had its game face on perfectly presented and prepared courses. Would keep this on my short list of great finds .Special Features:
- felixnoopsDined on 6/19/2014Nico was a treat. It was super good. A lot of fun with the food and the ambiance and everything - it was my girlfriend's birthday, fun times.Special Features:
- Au RevoirbiotechqueenbeeDined on 6/19/2014Send off dinner for friends. Really a french menu, loved the chef and the varied selection, not Californian! Everything was superb. Try the Lebanese wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!AWWAVIPDined on 6/18/2014Been wanting to go here since January. Finally went and what a great SUPRISE !! Great food,great wine pairings,etc. chefe Nico came over a couple of times to check on us ,what a great guy.kitchen vibe great and you can see everything.will bring my fiends for sure next time.Special Features:
- Great Value; exciting wine listTonyPVIPDined on 6/17/2014The menu changes every day and wine recommendations are suggested for each course choice. The wine list covers a wide range of prices and styles of wines. Nico is one of the best dining options in the City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2014Had a fantastic dinner here. The service was extraordinary. We had many dietary restrictions and the waitress worked with the Chef to make sure all could be met without compromising the absolutely delicious food. The Chef even came by to say hello at the end of our meal. I highly recommend this spot!Special Features:
- AmazingWhatthefoxsayDined on 6/13/2014Stunning seasonal food! The atmosphere is perfect. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be sure to have dinner afterwardsDeipnosophistesVIPDined on 6/10/2014Main course: 3 miscroscopic potatos with a mushroom: $23. Pretentiousness with which it is presented: priceless.
- Really rushed servicewine1Dined on 6/7/2014Server brought the entrees within ten minutes of placing order. Hadn't even received our drink orders. Rushed service continued. Won't returnSpecial Features:
- Great food, great serviceNameVIPDined on 6/7/2014A night when it just about all comes together. Yellow corn soup (superb!) and the duck rillete - excellent in taste and presentation. The beet salad was superb by incorporating flavor into the beets; the English peas with goat cheese/quinoa was an excellent marriage of tastes and textures; the med rare veal was cooked to perfection - excellent taste as were the miniature vegetables. Companion thought the lamb was perfect in terms of preparation and taste. Had all 3 desserts: the summer berries were perfect; the cherry dish was OK; and the white nectarine didn't work for me because of the macaroon, but the nectarines were perfect. Loved the warm interiors: wood tables and chairs. Service by Kristy: the best I've had in a very long time.
- Exceptional mealGregLVIPDined on 6/6/2014Can't say enough good things about our meal. Everything cooked to perfection. It was our first time there, and we will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Worthy of top 100steveVIPDined on 6/6/2014Artistry on a plate, each dish is composed to be visually stunning which compliments the freshness, textural diversity, and taste of the ingredients. Every dish was well balanced - seasoned to enhance without masking the natural flavor of the main attraction. Loved our appetizers of tempura snap peas and oysters, and main dishes salmon and duck. Perfectly cooked, and the suggested wine pairings worked well. Don't skip dessert, the summer berries, sable and sabayon was great! Service was good, except for the mishap of getting the incorrect wine with our appetizers, otherwise attentive and courteous. Nice touch for the owner to stop by our table, and the salted caramels at the end was perfect ending to a wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Elegant, sophisticated, not cheapeduardo7VIPDined on 6/5/2014Nico favors elegant and brightly-flavored dishes over quantity; three courses will leave diners delighted, satisfied and not over-stuffed. The wine list is interesting... but, like the food, hardly bargain priced.Special Features: