1 Charles St. South
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ostraboston.com/
- Phone: 6174211200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Bar/Lounge: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm-11:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Randall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Ostra
A Contemporary Mediterranean Restaurant featuring both innovative & classic preparations of the finest seafood available globally. The dining room at Ostra evokes a sense of style and sophistication in a comfortable and inviting setting. Ostra also offers a fine bar and lounge area featuring live piano entertainment. Ostra's private dining room accommodates up to 42 seated and 70 for a cocktail reception.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Ostra - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Ostra reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (163)fit for foodies (159)romantic (103)notable wine list (79)hot spot (66)good for groups (41)neighborhood gem (33)vibrant bar scene (30)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- I think you own too many restaurantseafoodslumpDined on 1/17/2014Wow, what a disappointment. The server was rude and harried, the food had no taste, the temperature of the overall dining area was so hot we all felt like we were going to pass out. I think Jamie owns one too many restaurants. That was the worst Paella I've ever had. Too bad, I had high hopes given his past successes.Special Features:
- Great fish !MuseumFoodieDined on 1/17/2014Can't believe that this has not been here all along. It's really about time that an elegant seafood restaurant with top service has arrived in Back Bay. Jamie Mammano has outdone himself with a great new restaurant that sparkles in all respects. You have not eaten great Branzino until you try his salt encrusted dish. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oysters were greatgardenerkDined on 1/17/2014Ostra was a fun experience. The cotuit oysters were superb. The simple salad excellent. Unfortunately, the paella was dry and not particularly well-seasoned. The dessert, snow egg with meringue and lemon custard was excellent. The service was efficient and very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected betterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/14/2014I was amazed at the incredibly high prices and the very mediocre food at Ostra. The one outstanding dish was the salmon tartare appetizer--but at $24, really? The paella was not good at all, though the seafood itself was very high quality. My friends had a skate dish and a special of the night. Frankly given that the restaurant was only half full, it was interesting that though both friends wanted the special, only one was left at the time of our 7:30 reservation. Our waiter was very good but the back up busboys, etc. were not of the calibre one would expect at a restaurant at this price point. Overfilled wine glasses, interrupted conversation, etc. At these prices there are many finer choices.
- A new gemBostonVIPDined on 1/11/2014Excellent food and service in a more upscale atmosphere - qute pricy.Special Features:
- Nice Seafood NewcomersurfunVIPDined on 1/11/2014Boston has a nice new seafood option with Ostra. Overall we enjoyed our dining experience. The dining room is large with tall ceilings with a minimalist feeling. Service was professional, attentive and not overbearing or pretentious. We started with the snowpea salad, which was simply OK. The dish underwhelmed us, and I would not recommend it. My wife enjoyed the sea bream for dinner, which was excellent. The fish is wrapped in trevisano leaves, which imparted a nice flavor to the fish. I had the skate wing, which was very good, but I would have to say that Jody Adams at Rialto does a better job with Skate. Chocolate torte for dessert was tasty, but small, just two bites and a teaspoon of ice cream ($14). Let's see how Ostra developsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new restaurant from Mistral groupeyeluv2dineVIPDined on 1/11/2014Ostra was a bit disappointing , but that said, I would go back. Service outstanding, and the room is great. The prices are high, and so were my expectations, so I was a bit let down. The salted sea bass for 2 was a bit too salty for my wife. The Hamachi app was just ok. The salad was too. Desert was the star, and so was the wait staff. It is new, and I will go back, but for my money, Mistral is way better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overall, but rather overpricedBoatGuyDined on 1/10/2014While I did generally enjoy the restaurant, I don't think it would be on a list of restaurants I would be likely to visit again. The atmosphere was very nice and the staff was attentive, but I just felt it was generally overpriced across the board. While waiting for our table, I asked our cocktail waitress to recommend a glass of Chardonnay. When the check came, I was quite shocked to learn that she suggestive sold me a $23 (before tax/gratuity) glass of wine. Yes, it was good, but that was definitely not expected and left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth for the reset of the evening. Dinner was good and our server was great, but at $200 for dinner for two with the cheapest bottle of wine, it's not what I would call worth the price.Special Features:
- Fresh seafood, nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 1/10/2014Nice menu with great selection of seafood; and also non seafood. Tried almost everything on the menu and they were all consistently good. the portions are not huge but just nice. the bar menu seems a little lacking though (no nice gin selection or some common cocktails were missing). But all in all highly recommend. They were busy but the staff really have the rhythm down and the place was buzzing.Special Features:
- Almost OstraOutstandingDined on 1/10/2014Overall, the experience at Ostra was positive. Our server was outstanding, really knowledgeable about the menu and went above and beyond the whole night. Our appetizers were delicious and the cod was perfectly cooked but there were some bones in the Sea Bream. The response from management was okay, our waiter did did his best to rally around this. I liked Ostra but it comes just a little short of its sister restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PRICEYfoodie36VIPDined on 1/9/2014Everything was excellent except the prices . We would only return for a special occasion !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have been here 8 times sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/8/2014Have been here 8 times since this opened in November. Seating is comfortable. This just gets better each time I have been there . Would like to see the oyster stew and the shrimp dish appetizer that was on the opening menu. Bar is crowded and they are awaiting licenses for the piano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood HeavenShaeVIPDined on 12/31/2013Delicious, fresh fish and shellfish that were served with accompaniments that complimented the main star of the dish (the seafood) and allowed the quality of the ingredients to shine. Highlights were the raw scallops with blood orange slices, the beef carpaccio with fried oysters, and the seafood-loaded paella. Don't miss out on dessert either... the "snow-egg" is not to be missed! Wonderful service, never rushed and always friendly without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Great service,ambiance, and food. What more to ask.Special Features:
- terrific restaurantstevegVIPDined on 12/31/2013This is an outstanding restaurant. The food, service ( Michael), wine list, etc. are all first class. Theses people really know how to run a restaurant. Yes it is pricey and perhaps best for special occasions, but worth every penny. we WILL returnSpecial Features:
- Freshest Oysters I've ever eaten!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/30/2013Chef Jamie Mammano is well known around Boston, with several exceptional restaurants to his name. His newest endeavor is a visual feast- soaring ceilings and sophisticated, bold, graphic touches. The food is outstanding- from the freshest oysters on the half shell I've ever eaten, to the amazing fried oysters- ethereally light, crunchy, with a real flavor punch- everything we tried was really exceptional. Arguably one of the best sea-focused meals I've had the pleasure of eating- and the short ribs were great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful RestaurantRIGLEWDined on 12/30/2013Six of us went to Ostra for dinner the night before New Year's Eve. The restaurant is beautiful and the tables are not too close together so that it is possible to carry on a conversation without raising your voice. The cocktails, appetizers, main courses and desserts were all very good; the fish was very fresh, well prepared and tasty. We had only two complaints: the cocktails and the first course arrived exactly at the same time (not sure whose problem this was, bar, waiter or kitchen), but we asked that our main courses be held up so that we had some time to savor our drinks then eat our first course and they are supposed to have a piano bar (one of the reasons we chose the restaurant), but no one was at the piano that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are huge fans of the ColumbusOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/28/2013We are huge fans of the Columbus Group - Sorellina (our go to and FAV eatery) Mistral is another fav…..expected same from Ostra. Service needs to get ironed out - we had 4 servers (excluding) assistant servers. We had no idea who our head server was. NOT a good experience.Special Features:
- We were a bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/27/2013We were a bit disappointed with the amount for the appetizers, a bit light for the price.. Also they fileted the salted whole fish, not in front of us, they did not ask if we wanted to have the whole thing left, but instead went ahead and got rid of all bones. I wanted to eat the cheek meat...I am Japanese. Beside that it is good, I would try one more time, and see if they improve.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ostra is a wonderful new restaurantKsgfineDined on 12/24/2013The oysters are first class, the paella amazing. Wonderful fresh and new dining experience.Special Features:
- Finally A Good Seafood Restaurant!Fish5VIPDined on 12/24/2013How is it that it took this long to have an excellent seafood restaurant in Boston?!? Ostra is long overdue in the sea of beef-offering, tapas-style dining options that define Boston's culinary scene. Oysters were succulent, hamachi was delicious as was the yellowfin tuna. Sea bream was very good and the lobster exceptional. Desserts were good, and are the weak link of the menu. But after such an excellent meal, you will have little room and it is worth indulging on your first and second course! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpricednotgoodVIPDined on 12/24/2013A huge disappointment!! The restaurant is way overpriced for the quality of the food. I don't mind paying if it is a good meal. They had a nice wine list but who wants to pay their prices. We asked if the swordfish was a thick cut...they said yes... it was a thin piece overcooked not anything like they said. The way the waitress talked we thought it would come with a nice chutney/ salsa...nothing! Just dry. There is nothing for kids unless you want to pay $50 for a 6 oz filet.
- Excellent food & service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/23/2013Excellent food & service. We had dinner on 12/23 and expected a less than full dining room so close to Christmas, but Ostra was full and buzzing with energy. Great ambience and staff. Will return.Special Features:
- Dont think twice - GO!FionaDined on 12/22/2013I had the raw salmon and gnoccettis. They were both to die for. My table mate had the skate and it was also delicious - lightly friend and very tasty.Special Features:
- Indifferent FishBostonseanachieDined on 12/17/2013Overcooked swordfish, damp breaded skate, uninteresting salmon tartare. Kind of poor showing on the food front. Service was a bit awkward, tho with a few dramatic (pretentious) flourishes, but the waiter disappeared from time to time and failed to ask if we wanted a refill when removing our first glass of wine from the table. Big, pretty space with some possibilities. Quite expensive (mid twenties for first course, high forties for entree). Side sauces on the fish showed some potential, but you would expect a place specializing in seafood to do better.
- Good StartElrephoDined on 12/15/2013Very friendly staff. Impeccable and attentive service. Ostra just opened recently and it's a tribute that they have their act together so quickly. Salmon Crudo was fun, served in a bowl of smoke. Smoke smelled great but added little flavor to the dish. Sea Bream was amazing. Somehow they deboned the entire thing but made it look like a perfect, whole fish. Great skill, not a bone to be found! Seafood is the specialty but my daughters boyfriend had the prime beef filet and enjoyed it greatly. Not quite 'foodie' special but very solid and very good. with outstanding service and ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treatNik2Dined on 12/14/2013This new restaurant was great! Every single item we ordered on the menu was delicious and totally extravagant. It is definitely meant for special occasions, and is totally worth the splurge! Definitely order the gnocchi with truffles...YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful space. Nice menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/11/2013Beautiful space. Nice menu and well executed. A few service bumps but they have only been open 1+ weeks. Very expensive and small portions but tastySpecial Features:
- Nick needs to go!EmbarrassedDined on 12/8/2013Awkward when Nick approached our table without introducing himself first and told my 26 year old son to take off his hat-it was 28 degrees outside that night and my son walked to the restaurant and met us there. He was not with a group of 20 somethings nor did anyone seem annoyed by his hat. There were only 4 or 5 tables occupied that evening and we had gone through the appetizer course already and were waiting for our entrees. All three of us were shocked and when I asked Nick where was the dress code written because it was not on the website at that time, nor on the entrance of the restaurant, nor any obvious place. He agreed that it was not. My son was horribly embarrassed and at that point we paid, and left. Nick was the only problem.
- very good but very expensiveKoreanderVIPDined on 12/7/2013Fresh seafood, great service but very expensive for what it is. The appetizers and salads are particularly very overpriced. Not sure it's worth the prices.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodMeMissVIPDined on 12/6/2013The food was outstanding. A bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurantPeach20Dined on 12/5/2013Ostra is wonderful food fabulous everything is perfect. Don't miss it. The decor is beautiful. Enjoy you can hear what your dining partners are saying. Enjoy a great new restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ResturantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/4/2013Having lived in Boston for 16 years and also being a foodie I am very critical of restaurants. I can really cook and am constantly disappointed with the food I get in restaurants. Usually I prefer staying at home cooking delicious food that I know what the ingredients are and then being ably to sleep at night without an upset stomach and spending hundreds ofd dollars on the food at a restaurant. I was so pleasantly surprised with Ostra the new hot spot in town. Everything was great. We have eaten there 2 times and it was even better the second time. The menu is great with a wide variety to satisfy everyone. Looking forward to the next time.Special Features:
- Just opened so give them timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/4/2013Our server, Stephen was excellent! The food was prepared quite nicely. I had a steak that was just slightly overlooked but edible- not worth the price though. My wife had the skate wing Milanese which was fantastic and a generous portion to say the least. Our other dinners thoroughly enjoyed their meals too: salmon, gnocchi + monkfish. The one downside was that drink service at the table took forever. We waited 20 mins at the least for a fist round first. Overall a niZce addition in a notoriously tough location . Best of luck we will be back soon! Thank You and best of luck, AJDSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 words: Smoked Salmon TartareOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/30/2013There are no words for how good the tartare was. Presentation, taste, everything was great. Server knew a lot about the food/wine, which was such a treat since they had just opened. Just an overall wonderful experience. Will definitely be back, especially for the piano bar (and that tartare!)Special Features:
- Pricy but GoodmikeVIPDined on 11/30/2013While there are a few kinks to work out of this new spot, for the second night it was very good. With the table clothes it looks to be targeting a Sorellinas or Menton crowd. However with a very cool bar scene it will draw a different crowd I suspect. Food was almost perfect. Fish of many types and oysters were ordered. All excellent. Only the veggie sides were killed beyond recognition (literally). Otherwise a 5. Service as excellent especially for a second nite. prices consistent with other high end spots. For fish they seemed a bit high and some of the dishes may have tried too hard. Skate was the best followed by salmon and sea bream. Desserts perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food delicious and serviceJesseDined on 11/29/2013Food delicious and service great, but a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great on opening night.DeltawhiskeyVIPDined on 11/29/2013The food was fantastic. Boston finally has a first class seafood restaurant. The wait staff was excellent for an opening night. The bar was also very welcoming. Delta WhiskeySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.