1 Charles St. South
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ostraboston.com/
- Phone: 6174211200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Bar/Lounge: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm-11:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Randall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Ostra
A Contemporary Mediterranean Restaurant featuring both innovative & classic preparations of the finest seafood available globally. The dining room at Ostra evokes a sense of style and sophistication in a comfortable and inviting setting. Ostra also offers a fine bar and lounge area featuring live piano entertainment. Ostra's private dining room accommodates up to 42 seated and 70 for a cocktail reception.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Ostra - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Ostra reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (167)fit for foodies (163)romantic (104)notable wine list (79)hot spot (66)good for groups (41)neighborhood gem (33)vibrant bar scene (31)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- superb seafoodacg1Dined on 6/12/2014Not your usual choices for seafood, a delightful range of options. The grilled branzino was superb and that old standby, salmon, was "the best I've ever had". The desserts were just as awesome.Special Features:
- Great !!LeslyDined on 6/8/2014That atmosphere was amazing and the service was warming and welcoming as well as very helpful. I was able to taste a few great wines as well as the lobster being absolutely mouth watering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night at OstraLocalEaterDined on 6/7/2014I took my wife on a Saturday night date to Ostra. We had a drink in the piano lounge where the seating was great, the piano player terrific and the martinis ice cold. We had a great table in a niche banquette (of which there were several) and although seated against the back wall, I did not have to face the wall. The service was a perfect balance of total attentiveness falling blessedly short of intrusiveness. The manager stopped by the lounge to welcome us and during dinner to check on us, like we were regulars (but it was our first visit to Ostra!). The star of the show is the food, again a perfect balance of freshness and inventiveness that avoided crossing into overblown weirdness. Ostra is our new favorite restaurant in Boston.Special Features:
- foodfanaticVIPDined on 6/7/2014Absolutely loved everything about this restaurant. Service was terrific. Thank you Jorge good job! Seafood dishes were superb. Loved the potato/onion bread. Someone was thinking outside the box. Must try if you are in the area..Special Features:
- Great SpotChaserDined on 6/6/2014Outstanding service from an extremely helpful, cordial and knowledgeable waitstaff. Sea bass tartare was phenomenal and the gnochetti was incredible. The potato bread with butter and dipping sauce was great as well. My girlfriend had the halibut which was very tasty. I ordered the Paella which was at first overcooked. However, our server brought it back to the kitchen and brought me out a new plateful which was delicious. Very exceptional service the whole meal and great suggestions from the waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBabsandmarkDined on 6/6/2014It doesn't get any better than Ostra..... Four people for dinner, four 5 star dinners. Extensive wine list, wines a tad overpriced, but, your in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticMiClosetVIPDined on 6/5/2014We love coming to this restaurant it's always amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Proper spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/5/2014Everything was very good. food was exceptional and the decor is very simple and elegant. gives off a south beach feel with the white.Special Features:
- one of the best seafood restaurantsmcm111Dined on 6/4/2014the food was creative, with unusual flavours, and beautiful presentations. The service was excellent. The restaurant is elegant in a most tasteful manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary food, deafening noiseLouisVIPDined on 6/4/2014The food was truly extraordinary and beautifully presented. The room, the decor, the china and cutlery are beautiful but the noise level spoiled our experience. It was impossible to have a conversation without shouting. We couldn't wait to get out of there. Two in our party said that because of the noise, they'll never return. What a shame!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavors!luzydiDined on 6/2/2014This has been one of the best restaurants I've even eaten at. The exotic flavors were amazing! The atmosphere was great! Location was very convenient. Service was very good.Special Features:
- A must goDininggal1Dined on 5/31/2014I would most definitely recommend this restaurant and I can't wait to go back again myself! They were so accommodating to my party who had 2 people added on from our original reservation. If you love seafood then this is the place to go- the food is exquisite! There is a piano bar section where you can lounge before your table is ready- this adds to the amazing ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingscarpinitoDined on 5/29/2014Ostra is one of those restaurants that will blow you away, everything from the sleek and mod ambiance to the expertly executed menu, this place is amazing. Sometimes restaurants can't get all facets right, but this one does. Each plate was not only delicious, but unique, not what you are seeing everywhere else. The fish-centric menu is to die for, it took us 20 minutes to decide what to order. The wine list filled with wonderful accompaniments with a range of pricing. I will go back to this restaurant again and again.Special Features:
- Great foodphphDined on 5/29/2014The food was delicious. Our waiter wasn't very helpful on suggestions or recommendations. The atmosphere might be better suited to an all-male after work dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatplDined on 5/27/2014We enjoyed the food and service very much. Certaily a place to come back to.Special Features:
- BeautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/26/2014This was a beautiful restaurant in downtown Boston. Lovely interior and really good food. Would certainly return. Only "ouch" is the $17 valet parking. Upscale.Special Features:
- A bit underwhelmedBillDined on 5/26/2014This restaurant is very pricey; however the waitstaff was knowledgeable and pleasant. Our oysters on the half shell were delicious and very fresh. The entrees were good but far from outstanding and when paying those prices I think one expects more. Probably will not go back unless for drinks and appetizers at the bar.Special Features:
- Surprisingly GoodMingDined on 5/25/2014I found this restaurant through Internet search. This restaurant was opened right after Thanksgiving last year. For the main dining It is an open kitchen where you can see fresh fishes in display and chefs cooking. Menu has three sections which include raw, the first course and the main entrees. A bit confusing as I am not sure of the difference between raw and the first course. We tried every item on the raw bar. Fusion style and very fresh but the Hamachi has a bit too much lemon sauce. The fish dish and the risotto dish are tasty and the seafood is impressively fresh. The bouillabaisse is excellent though we need to return for a re-cook for being too salty. Service is excellent and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb diningFun2dineDined on 5/25/2014A perfect evening. Food, service and ambience all exceeded are expectations! The menu is creative and everything we tried was delicious! Another sure hit for Columbia Restaurant Group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional OstraLeeLDined on 5/25/2014The service was great, very attentive though got a little spotty as the restaurant filled, not unexpected really. The food has me wanting to move in! Try this place, you can't go wrong!Special Features:
- Ostra is fantasticSAM23Dined on 5/24/2014I am very critical when we go out. If I can cook at home, why bother? At Ostra, the food was perfect. We arrived early and had a drink in the lounge. We were seated promptly and served warm bread (tasted like a faluche). I wasn't a big fan of the chips baked in the crust but I was able to pick them out. As an app, we shared the oysters. They were rich and salty. Please try the champagne vinaigrette. My husband ordered the paella and I, the salmon. OMG! I kept picking at his plate. It had everything I expected: right amount of saffron and rice, chorizo, shrimp, mussels, clams and lobster. My salmon was perfectly cooked as well as the asparagus. I wish there had been more mushrooms though. We finished with a cappuccino and Calvados.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion hot spotDbarliciousDined on 5/24/2014We had a wonderful time at Ostra. The staff really made this special birthday a lovely event. The food was so well prepared and tasteful that each bite was a bit of heaven. I had the Branzino filet which were flavorful and light. Our waitstaff just made an error in bringing appetizers after our first course. But because this was a birthday dining event, he brought us a lovely sampling of sorbet with a candle which was such a nice save for the evening. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Birthday DinnerRikasuaveVIPDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I celebrated our birthdays at Ostra. What an incredible dining experience! It is a bit noisy, but I would still consider it perfect for a romantic dinner because you don't have to worry about speaking in hushed tones. I loved the decor and thought the wait staff were superb. The gentleman who served us our drinks was extremely knowledgeable about the wine list. He helped us pick a killer Italian that paired perfectly with our paella and filet mignon. I did not check off the "notable wine list" only because we felt the mark up on the prices was a bit extreme. We had yellow tail and a roasted beet salad as our first course - DELICIOUS! If we could eat like this every night we would :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went with the recommendation ofallsky05Dined on 5/23/2014A friend mentioned this new place to us. The food was outstanding. The presentation was quite impressive as well. The noise level was too much for my taste. I was not able to talk to my wife unless a good effort was made each time ( my hearing is good). The waiters knew what they were doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding OstraOutandabout61Dined on 5/23/2014We booked Ostra for the last night of our first trip to Boston before we left for the States and we're not disappointed. Initially our table was poor, behind a pillar, next to a service spot, but a request to move tables was dealt with promptly and graciously. Our waiter was knowlegeable and charming. He guided us through the best of the regional produce on offer and assisted us choosing local wines, rather than the European wines served at many restaurants of a similar standard. The standout dishes were the amazing oysters from Duxbury and the paella. All in all, we couldn't recommend the restaurant highly enough and look forward to returning on our next trip to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 135 reviews are from the Ostra reviews archive.
- Amazing!WesleyDined on 5/19/2014This restaurant was great, our last night in Boston. We had the salt crusted fish and it was amazing. We loved the open kitchen to see everything that was coming out. VG was an awesome waiter as well! Highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food lacking taste and presentationOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/17/2014Service very slow, took a long time before we ordered and long gap in between first and second course Sea Bream was unappealing charred; tasteless other than burnt taste. Asparagus(8) spears, overbooked and woody/tough. Poor quality. No where close to Mistral or Sorrelina
- Super seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014Great appetizers very nice setvice - all our. Dishes we would come back again tomorrow For... Sea bream lobster kale salad a bit dry but everything here very groovy babies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor Profile PerfectionmrandmrspipDined on 5/16/2014This was our second visit to Boston and this restaurant was recommended by a friend. The food was simply amazing from the appetizer course , to entree and dessert--- all beautifully prepared to perfection! The dinner was an "experience" to remember ! The greet hostess and service were courteous, attentive and knowledgeable. We will be back for a repeat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014I eat out frequently, and while the food at Ostra is well prepared, the restaurant is way overpriced.
- Another winnerCJCbostonVIPDined on 5/14/2014No doubt OT readers know this is a fish focussed, Mediterranean style high dining newcomer. I was a fan of Avila - and now a fan of Ostra. The room has always been elegant - such high ceilings and windows. The wine list has breadth and while expectedly is shy on a lot of new world reds, has enough to keep those of us so inclined still happy. The octopus grilled with lemon and caper was perfection. As were the fish entrees we each selected. For me - better than Mistral!Special Features:
- Fabulous experienceThestudio1Dined on 5/10/2014The food was exquisite.. Great menu and Execution. The ambience is glowing.. Our waiter Brenden was a sommelier and exceptional at explaining the wine And making our evening a celebration!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eareyeDined on 5/6/2014Food was excellent; The placement of our table (first one as you leave the reception area) was a bit in the open, too close to the kitchen. Probably should be eliminated. Server was very knowledgable if a bit too solicitious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/6/2014Great time. Pricey but worth it. The beet salad was fabulousSpecial Features:
- Mouthwatering foodAnnmargaret59Dined on 5/4/2014Had one if the best meals ever in Ostra on Sunday night. Delicious baby beets with whipped goats cheese to start. Lobster for main course, to die for. Finished with Snow Egg, meringue, lemon curd mousse, raspberries and basil. Simply delicious. Would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Boston. Staff very attentive .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/3/2014My husband and I eat all over the world and have experienced wonderful food at all price points. Ostra is up there with the best of them. The restuarant decor is sophisticated, the food presentation is beautiful and creative, the staff was helpful and polite. but it is the food that is the crowning jewel. I am thrilled for this addition to BostonSpecial Features:
- neverVIPDined on 5/2/2014Food of variable quality: OK but not quite good enough to warrant the prices.
- NonoVIPDined on 5/1/2014This is my favorite restaurant in the city right now. Alex is a gem and the experience reminds me of Milos Estiatorio in Athens/NYC/Montreal/Miami. I'll be back soon!Special Features:
- truffles and loudavocatVIPDined on 4/30/2014On the plus side, not all oysters are created equal. Here, the bivalves were fantastic and perfectly presented. The white truffle shaved onto a sea bass crudo was delicious. On the not so plus, the space seemed to amplify sound. It was hard to talk to the young server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fishing for foodiesOleDoc33Dined on 4/28/2014This is an outstanding eatery, predominantly seafood, all which is fresh, perfectly executed, and served with brilliance. Try the whole fish in salt dome, carved table side. The squid is outstanding, and wine list friendly. Ambiance is nice, and professional, and knowledgable staff are of great help. Dessert was also a pleasant addition. A must eat place for fresh fish and seafood in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.