1 Charles St. South
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ostraboston.com/
- Phone: 6174211200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Bar/Lounge: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm-11:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Randall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Ostra
A Contemporary Mediterranean Restaurant featuring both innovative & classic preparations of the finest seafood available globally. The dining room at Ostra evokes a sense of style and sophistication in a comfortable and inviting setting. Ostra also offers a fine bar and lounge area featuring live piano entertainment. Ostra's private dining room accommodates up to 42 seated and 70 for a cocktail reception.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Ostra - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Ostra reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (163)fit for foodies (160)romantic (104)notable wine list (79)hot spot (67)good for groups (41)neighborhood gem (33)vibrant bar scene (30)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- AwesomeCc1515Dined on 9/12/2014It was my wife's birthday. They took great care of us and the food was phenomenal! I highly recommend Ostra. We will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifulmjb358Dined on 9/11/2014Everything was beautiful. The room, the food, the atmosphere, and also the people. Try the Serrano ham appetizer. Wonderful flavors. It's expensive, but there's lots of food, and high quality. The only negative was the size of the table for 4. We were always waiting for something to fall off. It's a little small.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014From the ambience to the service to the food, a culinary experience and delight. Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing from start to finishGoodFoodVIPDined on 9/8/2014Great time. Everyone enjoyed the evening. Amazing food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy!DougDined on 9/6/2014We met two friends to celebrate a 60th birthday. For the price, Ostra is not worth it. Way too noisy and chaotic for a reasonable conversation with friends. The food is a little above average -- many better restaurants in Boston. It is a place to make the "scene", not for fine dining.Special Features:
- marjoVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food is very good at Ostra but also expensive. The service is as it should be for such a high end restaurant and the wine list is extensive. Then why not 5 stars? Probably the same reason it is not that crowded anymore - A bit too expensive ESPECIALLY the wine and drink prices. Come on now, $18 for a glass of Prosecco? $95 for a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc that retails for $30? Table next to us were questioning their cocktail price of $15. Again, I'll pay $24 if I want the Octopus and $48 if I want the Paella, because they are both special and hard for me to replicate at home. But, $150 for 2 cocktails and a bottle of Sauvignon? Don't think so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect serviceMashaDined on 9/6/2014Attentive but largely absent....just perfect! Delicious lobster appetizer. Lovely setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific restaurant. Creative.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Wonderful food. Flavorful. Great service. Among Boston's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!AndyDined on 9/5/2014We had dinner last Friday night at Ostra and we did not regret our choice of choosing a fairly new restaurant. The service was impeccable and our server Brandon was friendly, knowledgeable and took the time to explain the menu/methods with details. The wine list is extensive but the food is the star. We share the Branzino (for two) baked in salt and it was so delicious. I loved my appetizer Smoked salmon tartar which came still "smoking" to the table. Would strongly recommend it.Special Features:
- top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Hosted a team dinner here - colleagues from across the country - who of course want seafood when visiting Boston. Wanted to do something a bit better than the usual legal seafoods trip. Had read about the great service so I tried it out immediately by asking for a different table than the one offered - request was accommodated without question. The rest of the experience was similarly excellent. The $60 Lobster was a tough sell, but absolutely worth it. Ostra made me look good among my work peers - thanks!I would recommend this to a friend.
- What you expect in fine diningmontanaDined on 9/2/2014Ostra hits on all cylinders. The atmosphere is great, the food well thought out and meticulously prepared and the service attentive without being intrusive The fish I had was superb and my son had the filet mignon which was perfect We found this place close to our hotel by accident. We will certainly go back on purposeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemJandJDined on 8/29/2014This is a great place. It's convenient to get to and the valet parking is a blessing. We were early so we had a choice of tables and ours turned out to be a quiet one. Our waiter, Trevor, was terrific. He knew the menu and steered us right. We had oysters, a fabulous gnocci from the chef, an octopus salad that was the best we ever had, sea bream and paella that carried over to lunch the next day. We were celebrating my wife's birthday and could not have been happier. We are not going to wait for the next birthday to come back.Special Features:
- Best foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I had the best seafood ever the Spanish grilled octopus was amazing and for dinner I had the PaellaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but not blown awayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014Decent food. Oysters were fantastic. Hamachi tartare was quite nice. Great balance of flavor. Just enough heat from the jalapeño oil. Octopus first course was very tender. I had the branzino for my entree. Cooked just right. My wife had the halibut. It was definitely overcooked. OK flavor but the fish was too dry. Shared the blueberry tart with cream corn ice cream. We felt it wasn't sweet enough. Made me want to order the chocolate tart but just ended with an espresso.Special Features:
- fabulous fishexperienceddinerDined on 8/26/2014Very pleased to try Ostra, relatively new in our area. Happening scene, clever decor and great food well served. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014My wife and I can't wait to go back - the drinks at the bar are inventive, unique and top-shelf. Every dish we had was spectacular - from the grilled Spanish octopus and tuna tartare to the Branzino, which was flawless, to the desserts. My wife had the rice brûlée and I was worried that her reaction was bordering 'When Harry Met Sally'. It was just that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timepescatarianDined on 8/24/2014appetizers wete inventive and delicious. We had the octopus and the gnocci. Salmon was excellent. Branzino filet, fresh but not flavorful. Sea bream very good. Salt encrusted branzino would have been ordered if not for the 40min listed order time. Service was late to start. Several empty tables but they told us there was a 10 min wait. Dessrts wete off, not great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDStarmVIPDined on 8/23/2014This a gem of a restaurant. Best seafood I've had in Boston. Impeccable service, stellar wine list, and perfect food.Special Features:
- Absolutely first rateLocalmanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Perfect experience - pricey but worth it. All 4 of us had a great meal, service was perfect (efficient and friendly without needing to become friends). Highlights were monkfish and paella. Portions in general were not large, but if you're hungry, get the paella; more than enough food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous gnoccheti and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The gnochetti are one of the best meals we have eaten in our lives. Fresh oysters and excellent desert and drinks made this evening memorable. On the expensive side, but worth every dollar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Excellent meal - the branzino was the best ever! Oysters and fish were so fresh! Very accommodating for a party of 6Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/21/2014Delicious food, great atmosphere and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great PlaceAmyNUCVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food was amazing, great wine selection also. Very fun vibrant scene Wonderful seafoodSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodHemulVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had been to Ostra several times and had good meals in the past, but last week, we had a spectacular meal there. Both of our appetizers and main dishes were outstanding. The fish was perfectly cooked and the flavors were simple but spot on. The sides were fresh and seasonal. We highly recommend it, despite it being somewhat pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceUhav2goDined on 8/18/2014My wife and I had an outstanding meal. Everything was prepared perfectly. Our server Christopher was exceptional. He was extremely knowledgeable, very attentive yet not intrusive. This made the evening and dinner even more memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectmikeVIPDined on 8/17/2014A very nice evening, with outstanding service and interesting dishes. Definitely for fish lovers and if you are interested in preparations a bit different than standard fish fare in boston, this is a good find. Strangely all our dishes were excellent with one exception which was a very overcooked and frankly a killed Paella. If it was my choice so my guests didn't know,or I would have returned it. I have had this dish in the past and it was quite good, so no idea what happened. Other than that an excellent evening. Not cheap but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceTRW39Dined on 8/17/2014We picked Ostra by chance and we hit the jackpot. From start to finish our experience was great. We were greeted and made to feel welcome. I ordered a Sidecar and it was one of the two best I have ever had. All our food was amazing and we enjoyed everything from start to finish. If you are in Boston this should be on your list if you are looking for great restaurants.Special Features:
- Fantastic all aroundWellfedDined on 8/15/2014A friend and I recently dined at Ostra. The food was amazing. We had fried oysters for an appetizer that just melted in our mouths. Then I had the halibut, which was perfectly cooked and came with the sweetest little clams I have ever had. My friend had the paella which was also amazing we finished with the flour less chocolate cake, one of my fav desserts and Ostra's was the best I have ever had. The waiter and staff were excellent. My only complaint, and it's not really a complaint, is that when the place fills up it can be quite noisy. Fortunately, our reservation was at 7 and the place did not fill up until 8 so we had an hour of relative quiet. The wine list is awesome. Try the Spanish sparkling rose!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!ilikegoodfoodDined on 8/15/2014It was my first time at Ostra and it was fantastic. Ambience is modern and trendy and the food is outstanding. If that's what you are looking for you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining indeedGitushonDined on 8/14/2014The beautiful restaurant and the outstanding service have made our date night very special and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but overpricedcodypepperVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was very good. The service was spot on. The restaurant itself was quite beautiful. But in my opinion, everything was way overpriced. That was especially noticeable in the dessert course. They charge you roughly 40% more but give you about 50% less. Not a good way to end a meal for this sweet-toothed diner! The best "dish" of the night was the free bread at the beginning. Now that was truly delicious. Everything else, eh. Nothing particularly craveable at those prices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/12/2014Tartars and carpaccios were outstanding as were the other starters. Mains were good but less inspired.Special Features:
- Ostra Knows Their Business!ChicagoGirlDined on 8/11/2014Our experience all around was perfect! Christopher was fantastic - impeccable service and personality to boot. The food was equally as good as the service. It was familiar fare yet tweaked to the disconcerting foodie tastes. I've eaten in the best restaurants in the country and this place belongs in that category.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPJK20VIPDined on 8/9/2014Ostra was terrific. The ambience was modern, fun and elegant. The food was terrific. Service could not have been better. Highly recommend. Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fantastic seafood, great service!LocalCoupleDined on 8/8/2014This is a special dining experience! The seafood was absolutely delicious, the dessert was incredible and the service was friendly, personable and prompt. We would highly recommend this great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!HoneybeeDined on 8/8/2014All around amazing! Incredible food with a beautiful presentation. The waiters are flawless with their etiquette and everything was timed well. The decor is beautiful and unique. A very special place. It's a rare thing nowadays when you can go somewhere and be dazzled by your experience. Most often, the food and atmosphere is a letdown. This place, however, left me smiling at every turn. I cannot think of a single thing I did not love about it. If you are looking for a place to have a business meeting, romantics evening or celebrate a special occasion then you want to go to Ostra. I am so happy to have found this place. To anyone who is looking for an experience like no other, then you'll want to dine there. Thank you, Ostra!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a typical Boston seafood rest.Av8orDined on 8/7/2014Beautifully decorated and great feel in this contemporary Restaraunt. No typical New England seafood here such as; scallops, Cod, Lobster etc. instead, the menu consists of Halibut, Fluke, Bronzino etc. Artfully prepared, the dishes have great flavor but will leave you wanting more as the portion sizes are small and the price is fairly high. Nice for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey, esp the winesJohnDined on 8/3/2014The food was wonderful, neither the calamari or octopus was overcooked. The food is on the expensive side, but the wine list was at least 20% higher than it should have been. One just has to soft through the list to find value, but NZ sauvignon blanc for $60?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LobsterSusankDined on 8/2/2014The lobster dish is fabulous! No bib needed for this one. My husband had the branzino which also was terrific. I do not think you can go wrong with any dish here, service attentive. I cannot say enough. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Outstanding in all phasesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/1/2014This was hands down one of the best dinners we have ever had. Every detail was thought out, every dish was cooked and seasoned perfectly, and the service was magnificent without feeling pretentious. The one surprise was there were a number of children there, and they were comfortable and treated with respect. That is hard to do when the expectation is so high. They did it well and I praise them for that. We will be back. We recommend the tuna carpacio, gnochetti with lobster and truffle (amazing) and of course the whole salt crusted branzino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.