2653 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.petitsplats.com/
- Phone: 2025180018
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 4 private rooms with a fireplace.
- Private Party Contact: Cecile or Fred 2025180018
A word from Petits Plats
Petits Plats is a very pretty French bistro located in a town house directly across from the Woodley Park metro stop, the Marriott Wardman and Omni Shoreham Hotels. Step inside and you will find affordable delicious food in a very romantic atmosphere. On cold days, dining next to one of the 4 wood burning fireplaces is a nice touch. Summer time, enjoy the great view sitting outside in our private patio: watching the passersby on busy Connecticut avenue is a major amusement!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Petits Plats reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (25)romantic (19)fit for foodies (15)special occasion (12)notable wine list (10)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (7)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- GOOD BUT COULD BE BETTERAxwall8Dined on 10/3/2013As a neighborhood resident, I've visited Petits Plats many times. I wish I liked it better. The food rarely disappoints, but the place needs a more romantic aura. I suggest you 1) turn down the over-bright lights; 2) find ways to discourage diners from bellowing (soft background music might help); 3) slow down the service. We weren't exactly rushed out the door last Thursday, but the courses came so rapidly we were done before we felt we had properly begun. A bistro should have a neighborhood feel. It should be a place to relax, unwind, slow down, take a vacation from your "Type A" life. With some adjustment, Petits Plats could become just that sort of place.
- Excellent dining experienceLauraDined on 10/2/2013We hoped to find a quiet restaurant to have a small family gathering and found it at Petits Plats. Service was thoughtful, professional and attentive. Food was delicious. Specials like the tuna were fresh and well prepared. Would highly recommend - nice outside space, as well as smaller rooms to dine without a lot of distraction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not recommendederikVIPDined on 9/23/2013Marginal At Best Food Was Not Great And Staff Was Going Through The Motions And Seemed Disinterested.
- Server was hilarious and niceScoJarVIPDined on 9/22/2013Had a great brunch with a server named max. very kind and attentive and a great sense of humor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Night OutRobCDined on 9/14/2013Visited to celebrate an anniversary, which was noted in online reservation. Staff welcomed us with a warm congratulations and was attentive without being intrusive. Our waiter provided excellent recommendations for wine, appetizers and entrees, all of which were excellent. We lingered and enjoyed our evening without any feeling of being rushed to clear our table. The owner checked in with us to ensure we were well looked after and enjoying our meal. A very nice evening and a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & food in WoodleySnootyfoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2013Gracious & personalized service. Tasty well prepared dishes. Rack of lamb jus was perfectly seasoned. Great bread pudding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely French restaurant withDCdinerVIPDined on 8/13/2013Lovely French restaurant with great service and wonderful food. It's located in an old converted house which makes the rooms cozy. It had been quite a while since we had been there so returning was such a pleasant surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is wonderfulBirdguyDined on 8/11/2013A sweet little restaurant with fine service and excellent food. Beef bourguignon and scallops were both incredible, and the chocolate mousse perfection. Very romantic, ideal for an anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with a perfect viewJodiVIPDined on 8/10/2013The food is very fine and the wine list has some exceptional values. The few outdoor tables are a level up from the street, outdoors without feeling like you're in the street. We went with a LivingSocial deal but would return without it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Dinner on Front balconyCharleneVIPDined on 8/10/2013My husband and I went for dinner. Although their dining room is very nice and romantic we couldn't resist sitting outside on their front balcony since it was a beautiful summer day. The waiter was great and made a great wine recommendation. Their menu, including their wine list, is very reasonably priced. We really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.RyanDined on 8/10/2013Excellent food and service. The wine selection was very good as well. Definitely worth the prices.Special Features:
- Yummy French seafoodDianaDined on 8/7/2013Mussels cooked in 5 different ways with a variety of other types of seafood. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Group Thanks!PGHjhbDined on 8/2/2013Our daughter was just finishing her internship & we said she was welcome to invite any of her friends that she wanted. However, finding seating for 10 on a Friday night in DC seemed a bit daunting. We almost thought it was going to be pizza for all. Thankfully OpenTable helped us find Petits Plats. This turned out to be a great find. We even had a room to ourselves as I think most customers were sitting out on their patio that night. Some of our guests had never had French food before and we were delighted to be able to introduce them in this way. Food and wine were good. Service was outstanding. A great evening. Thanks both to OpenTable and to Petits Plats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice French restaurantGigiDCDined on 7/31/2013Interesting menu, delicious food, attentive waiters, good location.Special Features:
- Adorable and Romantic Dinner Spotsatine416VIPDined on 7/27/2013Petits Plats is an an absolutely adorable and romantic spot for date night or a low-key (adult) family dinner. The atmosphere is quiet and relaxing, the service is traditional but still inviting, and the decor is chic and attractive. After our second time dining there, we are glad to say that we've found a stand-by whenever we have a French fix. Great wine selection with a wide variety of choices. Food favorites include the escargot (so tender and well-prepared), any of their salads (especially the ones with goat cheese....it's all so fresh and delicious!), the mushroom ravioli (such a decadent sauce), and the vegetable lasagna special (light, fresh, and vibrant). Also, give the desserts a try--they make a great bread pudding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2013If you are looking for a low calorie dinner, look elsewhere. If you are looking for consistently good food in the French tradition, you've found a great neighborhood restaurant. The wait staff is excellent and accommodating. This is a regular Sunday Brunch spot. Their lamb sandwich hits the spot every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to Woodley Park MetroCOCHRNGJDined on 7/18/2013We met friends for lunch who were staying at the Marriott Wardman Park across the street. We enjoyed an easy conversation because it was quiet. The menu is French bistro style. We especially enjoyed the vichyssoise on a hot summer day. Several varieties of mussels are also enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always eat here when in DCVTCatDined on 7/15/2013I have be coming to DC three or four. Times a summer for meetings and always enjoy dining here for lunch or dinner. When the DC weather is not as hot and humid as it is currently we enjoy dining outside. The restaurant is close to the Marriott WArdman hotel or the Woodley Park metro stop.Special Features:
- Lucky Bastille Day Findrk6901Dined on 7/14/2013We chose Petits Plats before we even realized it was Bastille Day! Maybe the serendipity of it helped, but the food was absolutely delicious and the service was friendly and efficient. Not a huge dining room, but it didn't feel too crowded even with all the tables full. I've tried about half the restaurants on this block (most of them now gone) and I can't believe I've missed this one for so long! I will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I visit this restaurant frequentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/14/2013I visit this restaurant frequently and the high quality of food is consistent. The preparation is usually simple (versus complicated with lots of seasonings and heavy sauces) and delicious and the staff is very nice and helpful. Good wines at reasonable prices. A more expensive restaurant, but worth it for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great Birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2013Tasty, traditional French. Fresh food. AWESOME bread (how is that french restaurants always have such amazing bread???). Resonable prices and lovley staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!SCD2VIPDined on 7/9/2013Petits Plats is wonderful. The food is amazing, while the atmosphere is casual and comfortable (in a nice, French country sort of way) and quiet enough where you can actually enjoy a conversation with your dinner companion(s). The servers are knowledgeable and efficient. And oh the wine list! Yes, it's a little pricey, but not so much for DC, and I have been to lots of more expensive restaurants that don't hold a candle to Petits Plats. I couldn't recommend this place more highly -- ESPECIALLY in the Woodley Park/Zoo area of town, where restaurants are abundant, but truly good food is not.Special Features:
- Petits Plats - Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2013We had a very pleasant experience at Petits Plats during our visit in Washington DC. The service is superb, the staff is friendly and professional, and the food is excellent. We would dine there again when we're in town.Special Features:
- OKay but not great for Sunday bruncMollyDined on 6/30/2013Menu is a bit limited and conventional; heavy on eggs with Bernaise sauce; light on fruit choices or cereal; no whole grain toast options. It is really pleasant to sit outside but unfortunately it was raining the day we went. Service was a bit sloppy. Still, the environment is pleasant, cozy, bright and intimate indoors and very civilized. Not too crowded and we were able to sit and talk comfortably for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really liked Petits PlatsMaryDined on 6/23/2013I went to Petits Plats for Sunday brunch with 4 friends. It was a charming restaurant in an old townhouse across from the Woodley Park Metro. Location is very convenient and brunch menu was excellent -- especially desserts. Dining room downstairs was a bit cramped, which is my only complaint. It was a great way to spend a couple of hours with friends on a rainy Sunday morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice menu and great winemwcait24Dined on 6/19/2013My boyfriend and I have been here twice and very much enjoyed our meals both times (seafood combo and steak). The wine list is diverse and they have a handful of affordable options if you choose to purchase a bottle. They have a small outdoor deck in front with 3 tables (and additional patio with more outdoor tables) and the flower arrangements are beautiful, which makes it a very nice setting for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres Bonne Cuisine!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2013Petit Plats is our favorite place in DC for French food. The wait staff are very hospitable and the ambiance is charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent first time experienceDCBillVIPDined on 6/13/2013Had the sea food risotto. Simply excellent. One of the best risotto's I have experienced. Everything was cooked perfectly. Good portion. Wife had vegetable lasagna. Caesar salad was excellent. Plenty of garlic and anchovies - wahoo! For desert had crepes with grand marine. Service was attentive but not overbearing. Excellent meal.Special Features:
- Space is the most interesting partOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2013Petit Plats offers well-executed (but not terribly inventive) French food that seems to have heavy American and Belgian influences. The food, while delicious, was as boring as the art on the walls; however the bone-structure of historical row house that the restaurant functions out of is very interesting. Three floors, winding staircase, 12-foot ceilings... I wish they had literature about the space for the guests to read!Special Features:
- Extraordinary Veal Hanger Steak!!ProntomacVIPDined on 6/8/2013I never had a veal hanger steak until this visit to PP! It was extraordinary, served with a special fresh morel mushroom cream sauce. I was so impressed--and my colleague decided to have the same thing--and was speechless. PP is always a solid place for dinner, made even better by the outstanding service of Jeff and Max.Special Features:
- Another excellent experience at PPhobbesDined on 5/31/2013Whenever we go to Washington DC we catch the opportunity to dine at Petit Plats... And we are NEVER disappointed; Extraordinary food, good wine list, excellent service and relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/25/2013Decided to head out for dinner instead of dining at the Marriott. Great find. As previously stated the Mussels were amazing and some great bread to dip in the sauce. The seafood risotto was fantastic as was the trout. All in all a great place with great wine.Special Features:
- the good the bad the uglybiggarDined on 5/24/2013Very nice menu, excellent preparation, but the service was too casual for my American preferences. Waiting 10-15 minutes for someone to show up at our table was disconcerting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special surpriseToddDined on 5/17/2013First impression was average. The staff was excellent and the menu selection had a good variety. The prepared food was phenomenal. I took another group of friends there again before leaving DC. Very enjoyable and relaxed atmosphere. The food was A-1!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Beef BourguignonOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/15/2013Wonderful outdoor dining along the street. The beef bourguignon was to die for.Special Features:
- Nice ambience and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/12/2013My wife and I had Mother's Day supper at Petit Plats, our first visit. The bistro was charming with a nice, calm atmosphere and excellent service. The food was good, but we were a little disappointed by the value. Perhaps we should have been warned by the restaurant name (Petit Plats). A $15 appetizer of terrine of foie gras, for example, provided a disk perhaps 1.5 inches in diameter by 3/4 inches thick of foie gras, plus pieces of brioche and jam. The foie gras was tasty, but the serving size was disappointing. Our main courses were well prepared and attractively presented, but were not really standouts. No serious complaints, but neither was it that memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/12/2013Had Mother's Day brunch here and enjoyed it very much. My mom and I had the breakfast which was delicious and the staff was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening outOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/4/2013Met with a colleague who was managing a conference at the Marriott. Great food, very helpful staff with a flair for French food. I would recommend this, especially for those staying at the Marriott Wardman. A great escape from hotel food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blahOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/3/2013came here because we were too exhausted to travel far from hotel after a long day. this place reminds me of a touristy restaurant that i would never go to in NY. everything looks a bit run down. food for just ok but not worth the price they were charging. servers were attentive. i don't understand all the high reviews unless that means DC just has lower standard for good eats. it was fine but i wouldn't go back.
- Plump mussels and perfect fritesjamievDined on 4/30/2013It was a cool, drizzly Thursday evening and we were reminiscing about mussels enjoyed in Bruges. We entered the door of Petits Plats and what did we see? Big steaming bowls of mussels and golden crisp frites! And they tasted as good as they looked! Heaven. Good wine selections to compliment their menu, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.