2653 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.petitsplats.com/
- Phone: 2025180018
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 4 private rooms with a fireplace.
- Private Party Contact: Cecile or Fred 2025180018
A word from Petits Plats
Petits Plats is a very pretty French bistro located in a town house directly across from the Woodley Park metro stop, the Marriott Wardman and Omni Shoreham Hotels. Step inside and you will find affordable delicious food in a very romantic atmosphere. On cold days, dining next to one of the 4 wood burning fireplaces is a nice touch. Summer time, enjoy the great view sitting outside in our private patio: watching the passersby on busy Connecticut avenue is a major amusement!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Petits Plats reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)romantic (20)fit for foodies (15)special occasion (13)notable wine list (8)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- The main courses were excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/3/2009The main courses were excellent, but the desserts were a little lacking. The wood burning fireplaces add a great ambiance. Overall, my wife and I really enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:
- Our small family group reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2008Our small family group really enjoyed the welcoming and bright atmosphere as well as the friendly staff. Favorites on the menu included: mussels, French toast and really good coffee.
- Food and service were excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/23/2008Food and service were excellent! The desserts are fantastic!Special Features:
- One of my favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/19/2008One of my favorite restaurants in DC. The service is always excellent and the specials always appetizing. The portions are just right and the desserts are worth it. The food is five star with a casual "homely" atmosphere.Special Features:
- Really authentic SE FrenchWorstVIPDined on 12/19/2008Really authentic SE French cuisine. Best French restaurant in DC! I go to Petits Plats often with my French fiancee, and we love it. Excellent and varied food, beef, poultry, veggie, all prepared with style. Nice ambience in a redecorated townhouse. And particularly, truly attentive service, from the cook to every server, care beyond the usual smile. And the plats are not petits at all!Special Features:
- A very nice authentic FrenchWVDinerVIPDined on 12/18/2008A very nice authentic French bistro. Food is very good, well prepared and well presented. I have been here in summer months and the out door setting is very nice - right on Connecticut Avenue - and in winter months and the fire place, maintained by an attentive staff, adds to the ambiance. This is a good choice.Special Features:
- Big party in same room madeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/13/2008Big party in same room made it very loud. Food was great - would go again.Special Features:
- It is a charming restaurant.KikiVIPDined on 11/29/2008It is a charming restaurant. The dining rooms are small and the noise level is low. The food is delicious and the service is excellent. It is a true gem!Special Features:
- Great restaurant. Each roomPaulVIPDined on 11/22/2008Great restaurant. Each room in this old Victorian is a separate dining room. Ours had a fireplace and 5 tables and was quite cozy. The food was excellent and the price was moderate and in line with similar restaurants. Make reservations!Special Features:
- Not a great "special" place,BethesdaRegularVIPDined on 11/20/2008Not a great "special" place, but very comfortable and pleasant with dependably good food. I like coming back here each time I do.Special Features:
- Great place. We were enthusiasticalLDDDDDDDDined on 11/15/2008Great place. We were enthusiastically welcomed and seated upstairs in one of the private rooms. The service was impeccable. I had the snails (so-so), the stuffed quail (out of this world) and the chocolate fondant (super!). Annie had the butternut squash soup (delicious), the bacon-wrapped scallops (wonderful) and too many helpings of my fondant. There was a good selection of wines; we had a savaungon and they gave us a tasting plate of small appetizers. Definitely worth coming back to.Special Features:
- A rare and warm fall eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/7/2008A rare and warm fall evening was a perfect chance to eat outside on the terrace at Petits Plats. The food was very good; the special appetizer sweetbreads were seasoned nicely, although a little overcooked. The braised beef cheeks were perfect -- tender enough to be cut with a fork and wonderfully salted, matched with a delicate red wine sauce. The Grand Marnier crepe dessert was sweet and fruity; a perfect way to end the meal. The service was excellent, friendly and attentive despite the restaurant being at full capacity. Being located across the street from the Metro stop makes this a perfect place to catch a nice and casual meal and drink before heading out to Adams Morgan.Special Features:
- Unpretentious, charming &OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/6/2008Unpretentious, charming & cozy small bistro run by a cheerful husband-wife team. Good classic comfort food, pleasant service, very reasonably-priced wine list and excellent value. Went for a leisurely 3-course dinner but am told the sandwiches on the lunch menu are phenomenal.Special Features:
- a perfect location for a quietOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2008a perfect location for a quiet business lunch away from the conference noise and bustle across the street. the food was wonderful and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- I had beef bourgignon, whichmsAnnandaleVIPDined on 10/14/2008I had beef bourgignon, which was excellent. The wait staff seemed a bit harried but overall the luncheon experience was pleasant.Special Features:
- This was one of the worstOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/30/2008This was one of the worst restaurants I have EVER eaten at as a result of an OpenTable reservation. I was tempted to walk out in the middle of my meal because the staff was equally as terrible as the food.
- Dinner at Petits Plats wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/19/2008Dinner at Petits Plats was a real pleasure. We chose to eat inside but the al fresco tables were mostly full and looked inviting, too. The onion soup was very good and the entres were excellent - not small, at all - and beautifully presented. The service was attentive by 2 very pleasant young women and we also had the opportunity to meet the owner who took some time to chat with us and tell us about her restaurant. We selected a wine special which was very nice and the entire experience was very enjoyable. We were never rushed, the food arrived at exactly the right time and the dessert sampler we ordered was the perfect end to the meal. In an area full of choices, this is a keeper!Special Features:
- This was a "DC restaurantjohna2014Dined on 8/14/2008This was a "DC restaurant week" visit. I have had better meals and better service during regular visits.
- Sat outdoors -- it was Connecticutlv2baglVIPDined on 8/6/2008Sat outdoors -- it was Connecticut Ave (a bit noisy) but pleasant. Service was horrible! After 1 hour and 15 minutes, we had been served our soup, bread and wine. Salads, bisque, beef cheeks, mussels -- all very good. Tart tartin worst I've ever had!
- Dinner overall was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2008Dinner overall was wonderful. The lamb special I ordered was actually different than what I was served, which the server warned me about beforehand, but the lamb had quite a lot of fat, which was disappointing for the overall cost of the meal. However, it was still tasty. we will back.Special Features:
- We enjoyed this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2008We enjoyed this restaurant and recommend it highly. It was in an interesting D.C. neighbeorhood, and right across the street from our hotel. The food was very good, as was the service. It was a little bit of Paris in a lovely low-key way.Special Features:
- It is the second year in aKikiVIPDined on 7/13/2008It is the second year in a row that we have gone to Petits Plats to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It's perfect! The desserts are especially memorable.Special Features:
- Petits Plats is a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2008Petits Plats is a great place to catch a casual meal. When the weather is nice, the outdoor dining terrace is not to be missed -- it's a great opportunity to people watch as it's across the street from the busy Adams Morgan metro stop. The wine selection is very good, considering the small and casual nature of the restaurant. The food is also excellent -- classic French bistro style. The service is very friendly and attentive. This would be a great place for a group of people to catch a excellent and reasonably priced meal before heading out to Adams Morgan.Special Features:
- Since we were there last aKateInDCVIPDined on 7/12/2008Since we were there last a few months ago we were very disappointed to find that Petits Plats no longer serves delicious crusty French bread. What they put out the night we were there was like something from the discount bin at the supermarket -- flavorless, dry, and a poor start to the meal. Also, the music set a poor ambiance -- I don't know if it was radio or what, but several songs sounded like a child singing a babyish, repetitious kiddy song with back up. Our main dishes were quite good, but atmosphere and the touches like good bread at a French restaurant are important. Prices are the same as those at more polished places, so it is hard to decide to select Petits Plats over other choices.
- This was a nice change forjohnnymaxVIPDined on 7/7/2008This was a nice change for lunch. It was a pleasant experience, nice menu and good service. Conveniently located across Wisconsin Ave from the Woodley Park metro station, it made for a good meeting spot for a buisness lunch. The ability to sit outside made it especially refreshing and intimate.Special Features:
- The terrace is a little loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/1/2008The terrace is a little loud due to the busy street. Even if I haven't experienced the inside, I would recommend it. The food was good but not exceptional, especially for the price. Overall a fair meal, but a little hint of disappointment as a French person. Looked more promising than it really was. I wish the owners had been there to discuss with them. I would give them a second chance but currently I would not recommend the restaurant.
- The decor took away from theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2008The decor took away from the dining experience, but the food was good and would be worth a visit if your expectations were simply to find a good, reliable neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- My husband, daughter (14)quietdinerVIPDined on 6/28/2008My husband, daughter (14) and I were very pleased with this restaurant. The fresh pasta was great. The big treat for us was the appetizer we ordered off the specials of the night. It was 4 or 6 nicely toasted pieces of bread with each topped with something different: procutto and fig jam, olive tapenade, etc. If I go again I would strongly lean towards the specials of the night because of this appetizer. Very friendly staff and I would not hesitate to go again or refer this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Met and exceeeded all expectations.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/23/2008Met and exceeeded all expectations. Very memorable evening, unhurried, charming, comfortable for ourselves and late teen (15-18 yrs) children. Food was fantastic! Staff helpful and attentive. Highly recommend.
- We dine here a lot and theDCerVIPDined on 6/16/2008We dine here a lot and the owners, Freddie and Cecile and their staff are always welcoming and fun. They make you feel like family, along with adding that French flair. This is truly a gem in Woodley Park.Special Features:
- Excellent place for informalOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2008Excellent place for informal dining-especially liked the mustard mussels with fries.Special Features:
- A nice place to stop afterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2008A nice place to stop after work on Friday for dinner -- especially if you sit on the terrace overlooking Conn. Ave -- great people watching while sipping wine.Special Features:
- This is a fantastic littleOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/24/2008This is a fantastic little French bistro that's conveniently located right across from the Adams Morgan metro stop. They have a wonderful wine list and the cuisine is delicious, especially the mussel courses. They also serve a fabulous and authentic escargot appetizer that is a must for any first time diner. The food is often too good, and the portions too bountiful, you find yourself struggling to have a dessert. However, sharing a dessert is a perfect way to end a dinner at Petits Plats as each dessert is amazing, particularly the Floating Island. The service is very friendly and knowledgeable. This restaurant is a perfect way to start a night out in the wonderful AM neighborhood.Special Features:
- My experience was altogetherOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2008My experience was altogether satisfactory. This is a fine neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- I don't believe I have everOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/7/2008I don't believe I have ever had a bad meal at Petits Plats. Always reliable and a great cozy, comfortable atmosphere. Nice people too.Special Features:
- Great service. Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2008Great service. Very enjoyable experience. Thank you!
- My wife (pregnant with twins)OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/2/2008My wife (pregnant with twins) ordered the trout as did my father. Hers was riddled with bones, when we brought it to the attention of the waitress she replaced the order. My father's was fine. The second order came back and the same problem, each bite produced a bone. We brought it to her attention while passing by and nothing. That was the last time she came to our table except to place the dessert order. She tried to steer us away from the fondant because of the time (she wanted to flip the table). When the check came we gave our credit card and she said "I will add the bottle of water" - when she came back she said "I added the water". So forget the bones in my wife's fish,no "have a nice evening" but make sure we know she added the H2O.
- We had a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008We had a great experience here, the staff was professional, friendly and flexible with the needs of our reservation, as this was a business lunch. Will dine here again when I'm in DC!Special Features:
- Good menu, well prepared (weOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/24/2008Good menu, well prepared (we are both former residents of France and frequent returnees, and Petis Plats benchmarks well given what they are trying to present). We had a balcony table - great ambience as evening gave way to night. Wine list is well thought out (and not too extensive, which is a frequent mistake). Service was friendly but as the evening progressed it fell away (as the the tables filled), to the point that the lack of service/attentiveness was noticeable (and the focus of some comment across a couple of tables). Just a case of being understaffed when the rstaurant is full/near full. If this issue was addressed, Petis Plats would rate very high across-the-board. Otherwise, it is a 'keeper' for us.Special Features:
- Very good but I think theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2008Very good but I think the restaurant is just starting outside service and the servers were a little overwhelmed handling all of the tables. They were very nice though and the food was very good.Special Features: