50 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.arkrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 2028980051
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: THE MEZZANINE Offers views of the U.S. Capitol and the Main Hall, and accommodates 70 guests for seated events, and 100 guests for standing receptions. Can be used in conjunction with America’s Capitol Wine Rooms, increasing capacity to 100 for seated events, and 150 for standing receptions. THE MAIN HALL & MAIN HALL ALCOVE Seating in the midst of Main Hall’s grandeur, or in the hidden alcove. Accommodates 70 guests for seated events and 100 guests for standing receptions. The alcove will accommodate 25 guests for seated events. THE EAST HALL ALCOVES Semi-private spaces which extend into historic East Hall, each alcove accommodates 20 guests for seated events. Can be used in conjunction to accommodate 60 guests for standing receptions. THE UPSTAIRS MAIN DINING ROOM Accommodates 120 guests for seated events, and 150 guests for standing receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Ark Catering 2023333011
A word from Thunder Grill
Incorporating towering, adobe-like wall fragments at the entry hall of Union Station, intricate mosaic surfaces of turquoise glass, and a menu reflecting the many cultures that have influenced the region, Thunder Grill is a visual and culinary celebration of the American Southwest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Thunder Grill - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Thunder Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (13)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Overall, We had a group ofOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/28/2009Overall, We had a group of 35 people and not one person said the food was good. It was just ok, the chairs were awful to sit in and the service was just ok. I wouldn't eat there again.
- Location good. Did not offerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/21/2009Location good. Did not offer a selection of sweetners, other than sugar and sweet n low - which is not preferred by most. Did not offer refill on very small soft drinks. Tacos and appetizers were a little on the greasy side. Cole slaw was dry. Food could be improved greatly.Special Features:
- We had planned to have SundayrobertadcVIPDined on 4/5/2009We had planned to have Sunday Brunch at B Smith's, but when I saw their buffet ONLY menu available on Sundays, I knew that it was a heart attack waiting to happen. Instead, we very much enjoyed a breakfast with many choices at Thunder Grill. Thunder Grill is the best sit down restaurant at Union Station for visitors needing to make a train. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for any other reason, but if you need to be at Union Station on a Sunday early afternoon--it's a great choice.Special Features:
- This was my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/13/2009This was my first time at lunch, and it was unfortunately a cold day, but rather than seat people inside, they sat us in the Union Station atrium seating area and we got blasts of cold air from the outside doors opeining the entire time we were there. The service was generally attentive, although a bit slow.Special Features:
- We were a group of six. IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/23/2008We were a group of six. I do not know the rating of food for the others but my salmon salad was not great. I expectec the grilled barbeque salmon to be hot or at least warm. The fish was cold with the cold barbeque sauce. Also, the corn mufficns were cold. At least they could have been warmed up.Special Features:
- the food was very good, andTheHappyDinerDined on 12/10/2008the food was very good, and we were quite impressed that the waiter was willing to do individual checks for a large party (we gladly tipped well for this service). we'll go there again!Special Features:
- We had a very good time atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2008We had a very good time at Thunder Grill. We had a large party of over 20 people and they were very accomodating. They did not put strict regulations on us but allowed the guests to trickle in and still fed us. Our waiter was good and even though he had to cater to a large party he still was helpful. Overall it was a good experience and I would consider going back.Special Features:
- The food was not spectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2008The food was not spectacular but our waiter was great.Special Features:
- Mediocre overall. There areOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/13/2008Mediocre overall. There are better options at Union Station.
- Went there for brunch becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/28/2008Went there for brunch because we had a coupon. It was enjoyable, but probably won't recommend to others.
- I needed to increase my reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2008I needed to increase my reservation from 10 to 20 but Opentable wouldn't allow it. The restaurant was very accommodating when I called them about this.Special Features:
- The waiter was very professionalOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/7/2008The waiter was very professional and timely. As always the food was good.Special Features:
- The waiter was very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/16/2008The waiter was very friendly but the service got slower as the evening wore on. No glass with the bottle of beer, had to ask twice for two extra plates and, oddly, only ended up getting one, never asked for more to drink. It was kinda weird. Portions were small and, while good, certainly not notable.
- Sitting inside Union StationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/13/2008Sitting inside Union Station is always great for people watching.Special Features:
- While I dont consider anyBslyomegaDined on 6/24/2008While I dont consider any of the Union Station restaurants to be "fine dining," I was definitely disappointed by Thunder Grill. The food was just so so and we were seated on the edge of the restaurant facing the common areas of Union Station which diminished the experience. Maybe if we were seated more in the bowels of the restaurant the ambiance would've been better. I don't plan to eat there again.
- Service was terrible. HostOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/21/2008Service was terrible. Host seated me and told me he would send my other person over. He came, host didn't remember to connect us. My friend waited 15 minutes for me before I came and looked for him. Host was just standing there, very frustrating. Server was terrible, host had to take our reservation. I had the salmon salad, was terrible. They slathered on some sauce, really was too sweet and not good. Wouldn't go back there or recommend it.
- Very strange entrees- linguineluvbrunchVIPDined on 5/1/2008Very strange entrees- linguine with hot sauce -food quality was poor. Service was slow.Special Features:
- It was just okay for me.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/25/2008It was just okay for me. I'm sorry to say the salmon was the worst I've had. My friend wasn't impressed with the crabcake either. It's a bit pricey for mediocre food. I suppose because it is American Southwest cuisine, their Southwestern meals fare better than the American. We did find out why it's called the Thunder Grill, that was pretty cool! So I won't let the cat out of the bag on that one! Service again was great!
- Both my guest and I checkedargriffinDined on 4/21/2008Both my guest and I checked in at different times, but used the same reservation name, and were seated at separate tables. We each waited nearly 20 minutes for the other to arrive before figuring out that we were both in the restaurant. There needs to be better coordination at the host/hostess stand for arriving guests under the same reservation. We had to cut our lunch short given this mixup by the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great house beer and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/7/2008Great house beer and the food was tasty and good value for money.Special Features:
- Just like other reviews state,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2008Just like other reviews state, the service was slow and the food came out cold. How can you serve a $26 steak cold? It is just sloppy. Never was asked if food was OK, in fact, the waiter never came back by until he brought the check. I would stay away from Thunder Grill if at all possible. However, if you are in a large group, it might be your only option.Special Features:
- Not a good place for groups.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/12/2008Not a good place for groups. Our group of 13 had to be pacified with alcohol at a late lunch during the week.
- Maybe I went at the wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2007Maybe I went at the wrong time, but this place was dead. Food was mediocre, but I want to credit them for trying. Cool decorations and possibly a great place to eat once there are more people there.