50 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.arkrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 2028980051
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: THE MEZZANINE Offers views of the U.S. Capitol and the Main Hall, and accommodates 70 guests for seated events, and 100 guests for standing receptions. Can be used in conjunction with America’s Capitol Wine Rooms, increasing capacity to 100 for seated events, and 150 for standing receptions. THE MAIN HALL & MAIN HALL ALCOVE Seating in the midst of Main Hall’s grandeur, or in the hidden alcove. Accommodates 70 guests for seated events and 100 guests for standing receptions. The alcove will accommodate 25 guests for seated events. THE EAST HALL ALCOVES Semi-private spaces which extend into historic East Hall, each alcove accommodates 20 guests for seated events. Can be used in conjunction to accommodate 60 guests for standing receptions. THE UPSTAIRS MAIN DINING ROOM Accommodates 120 guests for seated events, and 150 guests for standing receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Ark Catering 2023333011
A word from Thunder Grill
Incorporating towering, adobe-like wall fragments at the entry hall of Union Station, intricate mosaic surfaces of turquoise glass, and a menu reflecting the many cultures that have influenced the region, Thunder Grill is a visual and culinary celebration of the American Southwest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Thunder Grill - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Thunder Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (13)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- The food was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2012The food was very good and moderately priced. The menu was a little different than what was posted on their website but they still made the dishes we wanted.Special Features:
- Great dining at Union StationSheriDined on 8/12/2012Great food in Union Station. Kind of odd/fun to feel trains rumble by under your feet. Nice healthy innovative options - tuna wrapped in tortilla was EXCELLENT!Special Features:
- The main portion of theirOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2012The main portion of their dining room is right in Union Station. If you sit towards the back, as we did, it is a little quieter but you can still people watch in the main hall. The service was friendly, but busy with many tables and had trouble with the drink orders for our large-ish (8) table. The food was better than I expected, given its location. Everyone seemed pleased with their entree; most ordered burgers or sandwiches of some kind. Not a bad place to go if you are in a rush or have a large group.
- Food was fair but the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2012Food was fair but the service was particularly slow and forgetful.
- Watch out for the candles!!!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2012The server took my children's drink order while I was on the phone with our ride. I didnt hear what they were talking about until the end. All I heard was him saying he would bring water. When he brought out their drinks it looked like apple juice but truned out to be unsweetend tea. My nine year reached over the candle for a sugar packette and burned her arm. We put ice cubes from her drink on the spot. Was so upset that I could not eat. She is better but the experience ruined dinner and our entire trip.
- About on par with the restOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2012About on par with the rest of sit-down places at Union Station. Price-wise, salads are $11 to $15. Servers during a weekday lunch were attentive and helpful with menu advice. Pleasant surroundings in the station hall. We've now gone three times (work group) and will return in the future.Special Features:
- My husband reports that hePablocitoyFamiliaDined on 7/4/2012My husband reports that he enjoyed a very pleasant lunch with our grandkid. Nice to overlook the Capital and the concourse of Union Station.Special Features:
- This is a great place to grabSadCustomerVIPDined on 6/25/2012This is a great place to grab a quick meal. However, I was very disappointed with the drinks. The Sangria was like drinking lemonade - lots of lemons and limes. When I mentioned this to waiter that there was no fruit, he said the sangria comes from a bottle and just shrugged his shoulders. No "my apologies", no "let me get you something else". Regardless, it was on my bill at the end. The food was okay but not spectacular but something quick to grab before a train.
- Our Girl Scout Troop consistingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2012Our Girl Scout Troop consisting of 7 adults and 7 teen Girl Scouts ate at the Thunder Grill prior to taking a Monument Tour by Night. The food was good along with the service and atmosphere. I would recommend this as a place to eat in Union Station.Special Features:
- Our server was very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2012Our server was very attentive and professional. He placed my colleague and I in the most quiet spot that he could find at our request. The pace of the service was good for a business lunch - fast, but not too fast.Special Features:
- Great place for both biz & pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2012Thunder Grill has always come through for me when I wanted a place for a special business gathering on Capitol Hill. The food is top tier, the service attentive, and the ambience interesting - both inside the restaurant & bar, and out in the Great Hall of Union Station. As a bonus the food is not over-priced.Special Features:
- Had reservations for a lateOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/1/2012Had reservations for a late lunch for 8 following the Duck tour (which was fun). When we arrived, the restaurant was about 20% full. We were barely acknowledged by the MaitreD who seated us in the "outside" are that is inside the beuartiful station. There is a small area by the outside wall which has such bad accoustics I could barely hear the person sitting next to me. The waiter was adequate in his attitude however was impossible to find. The food was adequate at best. I had the fish tacos which would have been OK at half the price but were not worthy or the inflated charges. One of us had baked chicken that was so dry it was inedible We would have asked to have it redone or chosen something else however we did not see the waiter again un
- The food is okay but a bitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2012The food is okay but a bit pricier than the rest of restaurants in Union Station. The service are okay too but a bit slower than what we expected. I supposed when you serve 3 big groups, its hard to attend to everyone :/Special Features:
- POOR SERVICEJanetRDined on 5/16/2012Good food but very indifferent and non-attentive waiter. He actually told us NOT TO ORDER WATER as everyone would get water...only the few who ordered water received water and he was pretty irritated to bring the others a glass of water who didn't order water! We would have moved tables had there been another available. We had to track him down for any need including our check.
- I had a party of 9 peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2012I had a party of 9 people who attended a work luncheon and 2 of the attendees sent their burgers back because it was not cooked properly according to how they ordered it. One of my attendees sent their burger back 5 times because she wanted it well done and every time she cut it check how well it was cooked it was very pink on the inside and and appeared to be cooked medium. After the 5th attempt to get it correct, she ended up telling the waiter not to worry about it any more. The food for everyone else in attendance was great and really enjoyed by the party.Special Features:
- Nothing to write home about!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2012Won't ever go again. Food was okay but pricy and service was terrible!
- I had the beef tostada whichOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/3/2012I had the beef tostada which was excellent, the steak was cooked perfectly and the other ingredients were very fresh. The server was attentive without being distractive. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and will return.Special Features:
- Food was ok, nothing to bragOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2012Food was ok, nothing to brag about (sorry). The wait time was very slow and the place wasnt that crowded.Special Features:
- Good spot to meet when lookingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/20/2012Good spot to meet when looking for regular fare. Nothing too special, but all delivered with good cheer.Special Features:
- Not just for touristsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/20/2012Made reservations but sitted in loud area. Service was sporadic at best. The wine was old. I like the upstairs and will go back. I was also never told the upstairs was closed when I made the reservation.
- Good location for lunch andHoyaVIPDined on 4/20/2012Good location for lunch and food and service were solid for its location. I would not go out of my way to dine at THunder Grill but if you are in the Union Station area it is a good choice.
- While our food and our serverOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/10/2012While our food and our server were quite good, there were several downsides to our experience; Nice food but food courses were served on top of each other and the restaurant is too loud. Don't go if you want to have a good conversation!
- would never return!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2012Really looking forward to night out with my family at Union Station. Unfortunately, service was absolutely horrible despite restaurant being almost empty. Server never even came back to table after we ordered. We had to flag someone down to refill water and had to hunt server down to get our bill. We were so disappointed. Food was mediocre. I know manager was present in the bar but never came out into restaurant to check on tables or we would have let him know how we felt. Would never go back again and really put a damper on what was supposed to be special night out on our vacation.
- BrunchBandKDined on 4/8/2012Went for Easter brunch, nice menu (not buffet), food was good, fairly good price, especially for D.C. Went at 1130, few people, lots of seating, not very noisy.Special Features:
- The food was tolerable. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/2/2012The food was tolerable. The service was slow. Our waiter was horrid.Special Features:
- So incredibly loud that thereHillresidentVIPDined on 3/30/2012So incredibly loud that there isn't a rating for it And the noise wasn't helped by the number of times servers dropped full trays of plates And 2 of our 4 person party didn't get their drinks until after the entrees were served (despite many requests) But the food was good
- Beef brisket was good--couldsusuDined on 3/23/2012Beef brisket was good--could have used some extra sauce.
- This was my first time, myOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/21/2012This was my first time, my cousin had a surprize bridal shower dinner for her daughter, it was very nice, we all had a good time, I so enjoyed it. The food was great. I will be back againSpecial Features:
- Went on a Saturday aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/10/2012Went on a Saturday around brunch time and the place was EMPTY. We ordered a decent variety of things and everything was mediocre to good (nothing bad, but nothing that wowed us). Service was relatively friendly at first, but surprisingly slow and sporadic, given how few customers were actually in the restaurant. Towards the end of the meal, the service was also just apathetic and unhelpful. I imagine this is a good lunch place during the week when you want a sit-down meal and you're confined to Union Station. May be better for dinner as it has a decent menu and a nice big bar. But not sure I'll personally be back to find out.Special Features:
- it got the job done for athatguyVIPDined on 3/8/2012it got the job done for a quick working lunch. the service, not including our waiter, was mediocre at best.Special Features:
- Not bad, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2012The food was OK, not bad but not something to write home about either. The service was a little lacking. On the menu it stated that for groups over 10 or 11 gratuity would be automatically added to the bill. I had a group of 11, so I did not write a "tip" with this in mind. Our waiter came back, interrupted our conversation, and told me that gratuity had not been added... basically, he asked for a tip. Let's just say I left with a bad taste in my mouth after that.Special Features:
- I have been to Thunder GrillauntieDined on 3/7/2012I have been to Thunder Grill numerous times and have enjoyed everything but on this particular visit, other then the service which was totally outstanding, I was not impressed. I ordered the turkey burger (delicious) but the fries where cold and hard and the cole slaw was bland and bitter. I want to think since Union Station had construction going on the restaurant was having an off night. I would go back.Special Features:
- The fries were okay, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2012The fries were okay, but the bison burger was not. The restaurant was far too loud and that made it difficult to hold a conversation.
- Food is okay, nothing special.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Food is okay, nothing special. For a pricey dinner its not worth going back!Special Features:
- We wanted to see if this placeLorincynDined on 2/14/2012We wanted to see if this place would work for our wedding rehearsal dinner since it's 2 blocks from our reception hotel. The hostess who sent us upstairs to be seated was very welcoming, but the food was mediocre -nothing to write home about. I think my grilled salmon had been precooked and then put on the grill to finish/heat up. My mashed potatoes were so cold (not lukewarm - cold) that my date and I decided that they must have forgotten to heat them before they scooped them out of whatever container they were stored in and put them on the plate. The spinach was very good, and the preplacement potatoes were MUCH better. My date's pasta was nothing spectacular but good. The dessert cheesecake was too floury and had a grainy texture.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/28/2012The restaurant looked appealing online, the decor was very cool and I thought this would be a happening place w/ atmosphere. It was difficult to get to w/ all of the construction and the parking is NOT clearly marked or easily accessible. When we got there, on a Saturday night, it was dead. There were only 2 other sets of diners downstairs and apparently a party upstairs, which we never heard. The service was good. The food was average. The ribs were not tender and only 1/2 a rack came w/ the order and the sauce was nothing to brag about. The slaw, ok, a bit dry. The fajitas were regular run of the mill, chicken was dry, but the beef had good flavor. As for the margarita...very ordinary and would not be oredred again.
- Food was good. Staff wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/20/2012Food was good. Staff was very nice but service was a bit slow. Table next to us was seated after, but received food first.Special Features:
- Excellent decor and good food.MikeDCDined on 1/12/2012Excellent decor and good food. The bar b que brisket is excellent!Special Features:
- Well the place was very nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/8/2012Well the place was very nice. the waiter wasn't all that fast. We had to wait for periods of time to get our food. I didn't like the fact that they didn't refill soft drinks for free and that you had to pay every time you order on.Special Features:
- Terrible!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2011A huge disappointment. Arrived early and went to the bar. After waiting there to order drinks and getting no attention, we decided to ask to be seated. We at a nice table (place was half empty), but the hostess took us to a table three feet from where we'd been standing at the bar. Waiter was unfriendly, unhappy we weren't ready to order appetizers at his first appearance. Never pointed out dinner or drink specials, never asked if we wanted another drink, never asked how the food was. Dinner came out before the appetizers were even half done, without apology or even notice. When we finished eating, he showed up, silently took plates, and returned with the check without asking if we wanted coffee, dessert, anything. Ugh. Never again!