The Kirkland Tap & Trotter
425 Washington St
Somerville, MA 02143Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Kirkland Tap & Trotter
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kirklandtapandtrotter.com/
- Phone: 8572596585x
- Hours of Operation:
Food: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Drink: 5:30 pm - 12:00 am
Friday and Saturday
Food: 5:30 pm - 10:30 pm
Drink: 5:30 pm - 1:00 am
Brunch Sundays: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Beacon St
- Public Transit: Harvard Square
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample parking available in metered spots on Washington Street and Beacon Street. Additionally, if you are a Cambridge or Somerville resident, there are plenty of resident parking spots in the area. We do not offer valet parking, nor do we have a parking lot.
A word from The Kirkland Tap & Trotter
Welcome to The Kirkland Tap & Trotter Our food is simple, hearty and approachable. It is how Chef Maws cooks at home for friends and family. At the center of the kitchen is our hardwood grill where you can find us cooking up any of our options to share as well as other grilled fare. Tony has designed an affordable menu, making it easy to eat here often. Keeping with the theme of The Kirkland Tap & Trotter being an every night of the week establishment, beverage choices will also be representative of things we like to drink. We invite you to drop by after work to try something from our expansive beer list, a straight forward and delicious cocktail or one of our many wines by the glass with our usual preference toward wines with a bit of funk. We’re open for dinner seven days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Kirkland Tap & Trotter - Best Restaurants in Somerville ›
The Kirkland Tap & Trotter reviews from OpenTable diners
229 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (174)neighborhood gem (152)hot spot (99)good for groups (92)vibrant bar scene (90)great for brunch (52)special occasion (39)kid-friendly (38)notable wine list (26)late-night find (22)romantic (12)great for lunch (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- duck was superbJaneVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great ambiance, very noisy, great waitress and everyone wanted to be sure we loved what we were eating. Will go back!Special Features:
- SpectacularChrisDined on 8/23/2014They had room for our group of 6 which included 2 children. Food was excellent and the waitstaff were even better, especially with the kids. A friend and I split the duck and I can't rave enough about it. Easily a top pick in Cambridge.Special Features:
- Decent Food - Poorly Trained Staff.MemphisTrixieDined on 8/23/2014Went for dinner on a Friday night, party of 4 at 7pm. Had a reservation. Many many children/toddlers in the restaurant. Not a restaurant problem, I just wasn't expecting a "family restaurant" atmosphere. The food was well done but not exciting. The real problem was with the poor or untrained wait staff. Drinks took a long time, drink refills took a long time. Server had difficulty answering questions on ingredients in dishes, and was reluctant to get info from the kitchen. Meals did arrive in a timely manner. It wouldn't be my first choice of where to return for dinner.
- One of the best in greater Boston!jamescDined on 8/22/2014Went with a couple of friends to try this place out. We shared some mussels in a tomato-based broth and fried spare ribs as appetizers which were out of this world! I ordered the pork belly entree. I wasn't hungry at all, having had a home-cooked meatfest by the 'rents, but I finished my dinner as if I haven't eaten in days. Crispy, savory, succulent are the terms to define the pork belly. I think there's a bean ragout, cooked in the pork confit I believe, underneath which I heartily downed as well. As for dessert, I had fresh fruit in a egg-white aioli. Very light and refreshing. My friends had the panna cotta and the ice cream sandwich with guinness ice cream and oatmeal cookies. Finally, all the staff were fantastic! I'm sure to go back!Special Features:
- Really Nice FindOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/16/2014We heard about this restaurant via its sister restaurant Craigie on Main and were not disappointed. When we arrived, we were initially told it would be a ten minute wait but they found a table almost immediately. It has a nice rustic vibe, good cocktail and beer list to go along with the food. We ordered the mussels to share as an app (a little small but very tasty), roast chicken and duck for two. The duck included duck sausage made in house. The portions were large and the prices reasonable. We had the strawberry sorbet to finish off which was fresh and flavorful. Would recommend this restaurant to friends for a casual dinner in a comfortable yet lively atmosphere.Special Features:
- memorable foodLiv2eatDined on 8/16/2014Great food. Every dish had character that you will remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingBklyneaterVIPDined on 8/16/2014Stopped in for lunch while in the area. Hoping for a leisurely meal but was in & out in under an hour. Cocktails arrived AFTER our burgers, which came out within 10 minutes of ordering. Guess I shouldn't complain about speedy service, but this was ridiculous and spoiled our entire experience. The burgers were lukewarm at best (made me think they were sitting around waiting for someone to order them?) & dry (how is that even possible with a medium-rare burger?), with the only moisture coming from the egg. Not happy about gristle I found while chewing either. This was our 2nd time here. Came before for an unremarkable dinner but thought we'd try it again given it's geneology. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Tasty Food but a Noisy AtmosphereBonceDined on 8/15/2014We were seated immediately and didn't wait long for our order to be taken. The menu was good with lots of interesting choices. We ordered an app to share and two mains, plus drinks. The app arrived before the drinks which was a little surprising. It was a generous portion, great for us to share. We both enjoyed our main meals as well, my summer veg casserole was really tasty and not too heavy. My only complaint would be that it really was noisy in the restaurant. The tables are quite close together so we were competing with our neighbors to hear our own conversation, plus there is little to no sound absorption in the room so it just felt really loud. Great for groups of friends but not so good for a couple looking for a quieter evening.Special Features:
- ZipzapDined on 8/15/2014This place could be great. It's clean and the decor is really homey in feeling. But the food just wasn't all that good at all. I felt it was overpriced. The mussels were in a very cilantro heavy broth that just didn't taste good. And the burger was good but again, the combo of flavors was off. Also, my glass of wine had a crack right down the side and I noticed after drinking the wine and told the server when she took my glass away so they could throw the glass and not serve to anyone else. The manager came over to apologize which was nice. Hope I didn't drink any glass! Won't be rushing back here.
- Smart and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Had a great meal on a Weds. Nice cocktails and a great burger. Staff was nice and accommodating. The Maine mussels were awesome and I could have dunked a whole loaf of bread in the broth to enjoy it fully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delish!and very lively place!CiaoMarisaVIPDined on 8/12/2014Our first visit to this very lively place. Noise level is beyond energetic but it added to the fun vibe. Food was very good,especially the ribs that were crispy but melted in your mouth at the same time. The bone marrow appetizer had just a few bites for $14. When we mentioned to the server, our waiter surprised us with a very tasty serving of mushrooms! Good wine list but pricey. We did find a nice grenache for $39 but that was the cheapest on the menu. We'll definitely try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!ScientistVIPDined on 8/10/2014I know I can always get a good meal at Kirkland Tap & Trotter! I wish I went more often!Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestSmithosilverVIPDined on 8/9/2014The meal was just ok, nothing special................................................................................................................
- Upscale pub dininghryb14VIPDined on 8/8/2014Had dinner @ Kirkland Tap & Trotter on a busy Friday night. The restaurant and bar area were both very busy and we ended up getting a table in the back which wasn't great but understandable for a busy night. The food and drinks were excellent and the service was also very solid. Had the crispy fried pork ribs for app which were delicious...went w/the burger for entree, which was tasty but kind of on the small side...good selection of beers here as well, had a really nice Allagash Saison...for dessert we had the oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwich w Guinness Chocolate ice cream which was very salty and almost bitter...All in all, a solid dinner, and would definitely return but a tad bit overpriced in my opinion.Special Features:
- Great for vegetarians!MaryorDined on 8/7/2014Who knew! With the word Trotter in it's name it sounds like they wouldn't have many offerings but that's simply not true. I had a fabulous summer vegetable stew with crusty bread and a cauliflower salad. There were many other options as well. My dining companion had a shrimp appetizer and roast chicken main which he loved also. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Corn Season!!Steelers4LifeDined on 8/6/2014I've written a few reviews already on this place. Let me summarize the other reviews...f***ing awesome. There are a lot of good restaurants, but few places that have fish tails and fish heads as regular menu items...these are cooked over their wood-fired grill. But the reason to go there now, right now, is that corn is in season...and their grilled corn will ruin all other corn for you because it is that good. I had it last year when they first opened and going there last night, I wasn't sure if it would be as good as the first time. Not to worry. Savory, sweet, a little spicy and smoky. Unbelievable. It's a side dish...I always end up ordering 2 orders, regardless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceananasVIPDined on 8/4/2014It was our first visit to KTT and we had high hopes. Perhaps are hopes were too high or it was an off night but overall it was just ok. The breading on the fried perch was only partially cooked, the veggie stew came in a massive portion, was extremely hot, and was all right but not particularly flavorful. The fried pork ribs were good, the pate and hot dog were both ok but did not satisfy my meat loving dining partner.
- Best app everOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/4/2014Rib appetizer was a perfect dish Service was impeccable Will go back for sureSpecial Features:
- KTTmacpDined on 8/3/2014A meal, that was outstanding ! All aspects of the dinner were done expertly and deliciously. Everyone in our party loved their meals from beginning to dessert. The server was helpful, available, courteous and yet unobtrusive. A nice touch was thanking us at the door as we left. Casual setting with a gourmet meal. What could be better?Special Features:
- Solid dinner spotfoodandyogaDined on 8/2/2014Great food, extensive beer list, creative cocktails. The burger withstood our critique- the bun stood up to the juiciesness of the patty, house made ketchup, beautiful in season beefsteak tomatoes, crisp romaine and the perfect melt on the cheese. I could have done without the fried onions, but I'm not complaining. With Bronwyn down the road I was surprised at how the kielbasa blew the German gem out of the water. Finished with the banana split- delicious milk jam (what flavor is that anyway?) and Mexican chocolate ice cream. Worth the trek from Southie, we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome spotEatingfoodDined on 8/2/2014Came here with a group of 5 on a Saturday night. Our table was ready for us upon arrival and we were promptly seated. Between us we tried a wide variety of wine, beer, cocktails, apps, entrees, and dessert and we left 100% satisfied with everything we ordered. Service was friendly and attentive but not intrusive to our meal. Not the cheapest meal in the world but everything was on point and worth the money. Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sometimes a miss?CJCbostonVIPDined on 8/2/2014Went with high expectations - both the Chef's rep - and these reviews - are generally great. But three out of our four dishes were only OK. The octopus salad was too vinegared, the Shrimp app was four medium sized shrimp in a way over-oiled preparation, and the roast chicken was undercooked with the tell tale pink. I might've ordered wrong - maybe this is for carnivores - the smoky aromas in the restaurant were sure inviting. And the room is a rustic charmer. Another limitation - the wine list is essentially all old world - not sure why us new worlders don't have even a small section to select from? Great beer list - so perhaps the spot for a burger and beer?Special Features:
- Tony Maws does it againLatinman47Dined on 7/29/2014Chef Tony Maws is an exceptional designer of a restaurant atmosphere, its food and the service.Special Features:
- Fabulous food & staffBiketoeatDined on 7/27/2014Several friends and I ate here for dinner. Food was outstanding -- check out the green beans! The service was even better. We all have issues with dairy and the waitress was incredibly helpful in finding out if our dishes were made with dairy and the kitchen went out of its way to deal with our requests. Fabulous!Special Features:
- SuperbFroggyVIPDined on 7/26/2014We love this restaurant! We went as a foursome the first time and the following week, just the 2 of us! The food is truly amazing, the atmosphere is fun and noisy and the service too! Open kitchen in the back is awesome to watch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smtcmbrdgDined on 7/26/2014The food is definitely the star here. The prices are expensive, particularly if you get sides, but the portions are *huge.* (Salmon head appetizer, pork chop special, and sea bass special) Everything is cooked perfectly, and the emphasis slightly more on the ingredients rather than seasonings/flavorings. I thought the service was only adequate for such an expensive restaurant: our server came and asked us for our drink order at the beginning of the meal three times before we were ready, the first time within a minute of sitting down. As everyone else notes, the place is noisy, which didn't bother me, and fairly casual, but the plastic "wood" tables and benches just felt cheap to me when you pay that much for dinner.Special Features:
- a great suprise!foodfun4uDined on 7/26/2014will be back for our anniversary! Great food, service and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep Coming Back for MoreskrebelDined on 7/25/2014Fourth time to the restaurant and every time have had a very solid and consistent experience. This is the first time here seeing their summer menu which was almost entirely different from the Winter/Spring menu. You can't go there without trying the deep-fried ribs (yes, deep-fried and yes, amazing), the pasta (winter they had a lamb ragout, summer a ham/corn pasta), and their mussels. Great cocktail menu and extensive beer list.Special Features:
- Great for any occasion!locavoreDined on 7/24/2014KT&T has a warm, friendly, and fun atmosphere. From bar snacks to more formal meal, the food is excellent. The cocktails, wine, and beer lists are well curated. This is becoming a new, regular place for us to dine. During our most recent meal, we tried the fried pork ribs and the ice cream sandwich (oatmeal cookies with chocolate Guinness ice cream), and they were unexpectedly spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If it ain't broke, don't fix itSteelers4LifeDined on 7/23/2014Every time I've been here, Chef Maws is at the head of the pass, expediting. I think that says more about him than anything else. When you come here, there won't be any question about the quality of food that you get...it's Craigie level, and hopefully at this point you'll understand that is the ultimate measuring point. The hot dog speaks for itself. Grilled oysters for $2 on Wed...self-explanatory. Free bar snacks 5:30-6:30 every day. This time for me, a 3-top. For me, it was the steak tips with grilled avocado; a friend ordered the wood-fired 1/2 chicken and his wife, the grilled swordfish. Everything was seasoned perfectly, and the sides were equally amazing. There's no excuse not to come here and get your mind and tongue blown away.Special Features:
- MayberobtagDined on 7/23/2014My fiancee and I went to the Tap & Trotter on a Wednesday evening. She ordered a salad of greens including watercress and the day boat swordfish. The salad was delicious and the portion was generous. The swordfish was quite good but the portion was small. I question whether one can get swordfish that has been caught by the same day in Boston. I ordered the neighborhood menu. The whole wheat pasta was delicious, surprisingly so. The sauce was really flavorful. This was followed by kielbasa and sauerkraut. It was fine but not particularly notable. The beer selection was good and tasty. However, it was very noisy. At one point I could not hear my fiancee talking to me across the table.Special Features:
- Real!! Great Food4theluvofrealfoodDined on 7/20/2014My husbands and I enjoyed a great meal together on a random Sunday night. I had the cheese burger beer combo and he had the 3 coarse menu. The burger was literally perfect!!! His 3 coarse started with a whole wheat pasta containing peas, fava beans and other seasonal extras, it was dilish and each flavor showed through. The meal ended with the oatmeal chocolate ice cream sandwich and a great espresso. We could not have been more pleased with the whole experience. Matt the waiter was wonderful, he was attentive and knowledgeable. We will for sure be coming bake and I will be recommending to friends family and clients!!!Special Features:
- Good food, Good friends, Great timeJessvGDined on 7/20/2014Exoctic drinks, knowledgable bartenders, unique food finds, and attentive wait staff. Couldn't ask for more- well, maybe a smaller check!Special Features:
- Meat eater's delightEatoutmoreDined on 7/20/2014Wonderful appetizers and entrees, including a perfect sirloin en brochette. Great service. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightBillDined on 7/20/2014We had dinner here for the first time. It was great. Service, Food, music. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much Ado About NothingafoodloverDined on 7/20/2014Given Maws' reputation and history 5 "foodies" went with high expectations and were all disappointed. Best dishes were fish not pork, ironic given restaurant's name. Service was slow to inattentive. Never again.
- Fun Friday nightmrmashall10Dined on 7/18/2014My fiancee and I went here this past Friday. We had a seven p.m. reservation but arrived 45 minutes early (woops). Luckily they had free apps in the bar area until 6:30 and a great drink/beer/wine list! The steak brochette was amazing, tender and very delicious, and the duck was cooked perfectly. I'd definitely recommend this place and will return!Special Features:
- Simply DeliciousILiveToEatVIPDined on 7/16/2014Loved the food, especially the grilled sardines, grilled king salmon head, grilled summer squash and corn polenta. Food is incredibly fresh and deliciously prepared. Great craft beers on draft. Relaxed but fun atmosphere. I would strongly recommend KT&T.Special Features:
- Special NightMNMomDined on 7/15/2014Dinner with my 23 yr old foodie son,just wonderful! Janelle, our waitress was delightful, answered questions, explained the menu & made sure night went well. Started with a great drink,Peace Pipe-the cocktail list is entertaining & unique, followed by the Spanish Octupus Salad over pea hummus & the most delicious spicy green chile chicken wings - finger licking good. One salmon special and the house made kielbasa were our entrees - flavorful and different! Can't leave without one of their house made desserts or in this case two - the bread pudding with milk jam ice cream and the warm buttermilk bisquit with rhubarb compote - would go back for any of the food! I took advantage of the House Special Prix Fix - appt, entree & dessert $35.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tap and TrottermorefoodnmoredrinkDined on 7/11/2014High energy place (if not a bit loud) and great food and drinks. Waitress was exceptionally nice and good. Pour a top notch old-fashioned and an interesting beer list as well. Had the burger (last one of the night!) and it was really, really good. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.