2108 N 55th St
Seattle, WA 98103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ethanstowellrestaurants.com/mkt/
- Phone: 2068121580x
- Hours of Operation:
Fri & Sat 5pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Ritchie
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from mkt.
mkt. - pronounced "market" - is an intimate restaurant in an intimate Seattle neighborhood know as Tangletown, between Wallingford and Greenlake. It gets its name from Meridian, the traditional name for the neighborhood; the historic Keystone Building that it’s housed in; and Tangletown, as the area is now known. Joe Ritchie"s kitchen serves thoughtful, contemporary American fare with a dedication to Northwest products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
mkt. reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (113)neighborhood gem (92)special occasion (59)romantic (38)notable wine list (32)hot spot (25)great for outdoor dining (19)late-night find (4)good for groups (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Mad for mkt.Hapuna0208Dined on 6/27/2014This was our 2nd visit to mkt. We love the unique flavors of each dish. You never feel rushed and the servers are friendly and accommodating. Although they advertise the dishes as meant to be family-style, you can easily order one dish per person, and share the 'snack' items. Definitely make a reservation. The restaurant is small.Special Features:
- Shh... Don't tell anyone.TTnCGl4Dined on 6/26/2014In the heart of our Greenlake neighborhood, MKT is quickly becoming a favorite! An early evening wine and appetizer, a leisurely dinner with friends or a late dessert before bed- you can't go wrong here. Don't talk too much with the wait staff though, otherwise you'll quickly feel like family! Thanks Seth, we hope to see you soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Spot for FoodiesKelseyDined on 6/25/2014Loved walking up to this tiny restaurant, welcomed with a warm smile and a great server. The veggie dish we had was extraordinary, the wine was great and I really enjoyed the black cod. I didn't love the salmon dish, but dessert and sitting at a beautiful wooden table along the sidewalk made up for it.Special Features:
- dateniteDined on 6/24/2014Being an Ethan Stowell fan I had high hopes. We sat toward back which was hot & claustrophobic. The wood chairs with low backs are super uncomfortable and the tables are so close together the server or other guests backside kept brushing our table. First sip of water I nearly gagged tasting remnants of the last users sweet drink along the rim. Server was super apologetic and quickly swapped out but still. The small plates although delicious I left feeling hungry, hot and not interested in going back.Special Features:
- Great food and fabulous servicecaitbDined on 6/23/2014We had 5 people with us which allowed us to try a bunch of small plates. Everything we had tasted fabulous and service was fantastic. The restaurant is incredibly small so be prepared that groups of more than 4 are difficult to squeeze in.Special Features:
- my new fav place!JungleDined on 6/23/2014amazing food, great service.... Went here for my anniversary dinner and it did not disappoint. - green beans, scallops, gnocchi, wagyu beef, cocktails, strawberry tart dessert were all amazing! Definitely coming back.Special Features:
- great restaurantculeandroidDined on 6/22/2014the food is incredible. the chairs are a little uncomfortable. but seriously who cares about the chairs.Special Features:
- Delicious foodFoodGalVIPDined on 6/21/2014This was one of my favorite meals in Seattle. The menu is wonderful. Our table shared about 8 of the dishes and each one was better than the next. Also, the presentation of the food was great and our waiter was very attentive. The only negative to the restaurant is that its very small and narrow, so just keep that in mind when you go.Special Features:
- ChristineDined on 6/19/2014I loved it! Everything is FRESH, FRESH, FRESH and the wine list is spectacular. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is intimate and welcoming. Seth made the dining experience extraordinary.Special Features:
- need ear plugsnativeDined on 6/18/2014The food was fabulous, shared morsels. I thought for shared plates they were a little too small for 4 people. The noise level was off the charts, and it was small and claustrophobic. I would go back, with total of two and sit near the open front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!tangletownVIPDined on 6/15/2014Love the staff and the food at Mkt! The food and service is always on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we ordered was excellentPakapreudDined on 6/15/2014I have a bad memory when it comes to food menus. The food here is designed to be shared. I went to there to have a dinner with my food friend and we ordered one snack plate (pork loin), two fish dishes (one with Japanese name and the other one was salmon that the waiter said it'd melt in the mouth--it actually did), one meat dish (duck) and one veggetable plate. The food and services were amazing. The wine list was extensive but I wish the cocktail list was as extensive because they only had three cocktails. The place wa well decorated and fitting perfectly into the neighborhood. I would definitely want to go back multiple times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small but mightysmittensDined on 6/13/2014I'll be putting a more complete review on yelp but this is one of those 'don't miss' spots in Seattle. Everything perfectly cooked, great fresh ingredients, interesting flavor combinations, perfect use of spices and seasonings, friendly competent service, and you get to watch them prepare your food. We will be back.Special Features:
- Unbelievable foodsea8uDined on 6/12/2014What a great find. Make reservations ahead of time and try the ceviche!Special Features:
- Fab FoodGaisheaDined on 6/12/2014Small plates allow lots of sharing and tasting such well-prepared innovative dishes. Small, intimate spot. Featured cocktails are all great with one caveat: the bar glass are not great. Too, bulky, heavy, average bistro glasses. They'd do well with something nicer. AND the martini we ordered was underwhelming, tepid and in the over sized glass looked very unappealing. Upgrade Ethan to match the outstanding cuisine!Special Features:
- Worth a trip to Seattle!cabgoesleftVIPDined on 6/10/2014mkt is excellent. amazing food, exceptional service. I will book now for the next time I'm in Seattle!Special Features:
- Superb but speedyscratch425Dined on 6/9/2014mkt. is structured for sharing. Portion sizes are small, but adequate as they are rich. The duck was our favorite, with a sour cherry topping that complimented the spicy crust on the meat. The lamb was also excellent, and cooked perfectly medium-rare. The sweet potato gnocchi was tender and paired with a wonderful sauce that didn't smother the dumplings. The seating was not particularly comfortable, but our main complaint is the cost. Four plates and one glass of wine set us back $100. So excellent food, good service, cozy atmosphere, but... not a great value.Special Features:
- Absolutely a hit!DannyMac99Dined on 6/8/2014Some friends and I went for my birthday and it was incredible! There wasn't a dish we didn't like. In fact, each time a new dish came out (they come out at random times when they are done - so there is a great mix of hot/cold, etc.) we all thought that one was our favorite. In the end I don't think we could pick just one dish as the best. Go with a few friends, ask about their wines, get a bottle and share some plates together. The portions are not Americanized (i.e. a normal size for the rest of the world) but we were stuffed after the variety of dishes. The atmosphere was relaxed but nice. There are only 28 seats so definitely get a reservation. The staff was wonderful! I always have something to complain about and I have zero complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMr200Dined on 6/6/2014The food was amazing. We liked it so much that we ordered twice one of the mains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wwoodyVIPDined on 5/27/2014Food was good but there was nothing that really stood out that would make me want to try it again.
- I'd love to call myself "a regular"ruthwineDined on 5/25/2014Its a damn good thing I live 800 miles from mkt. We'd have a lot of problems if I lived w/in a manageable radius. YES, the food was top notch, YES the wine list has at least one dorky gem in each category, and YES, the space is perfectly confined and solid-feeling, but it was the service that truly stopped me in my tracks and made me consider moving to Seattle. Sarah was our main server, although pretty much everyone had a gracious hand in it, from host to line cook. We felt like we were at her house; as if she truly, honestly wanted us to enjoy ourselves in her world. She read us like a book, we got everything we wanted (plus a few things we didn't know we were missing in our lives), and nothing we didn't. I'll go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Great ServiceNCfoodieDined on 5/25/2014My wife and I really liked this restaurant. My wife has some food restrictions, the server took the time to go through the menu to let my wife know what she could eat. We really enjoyed our dining experience. Would definately go again if we were in the Seattle area. highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- The following 109 reviews are from the mkt. reviews archive.
- Locally sourced, fantastic, foodGastrogrrlDined on 5/18/2014I think the title of my review kind of says it all....I am in the restaurant industry (chef). Enough of my chef friends had recommended "mkt." so I reserved a table for my birthday dinner on a Sunday evening. We tried cocktails, wine by the glass, salad, two entrees, two desserts, aperitifs, and coffee - each dish, every libation, and our service were absolutely spot on. Thank you, Ethan!Special Features:
- Great food & service!HighlanderDined on 5/17/2014First time dining at this restaurant, but it won't be the last. Everything was delicious... the four of us tried about eight different shared plates (portions are small) and as each one came out, it was my new favorite. Can't wait to go back and try the rest!Special Features:
- Delicious DinnerNewYearsDinnerDined on 5/16/2014Great food here, loved everything we had. A little cramped and noisy, but more important the portions were small (they said after we sat down that 'everything is shareable'), so we ended up having to order a lot of items to feed four of us...and still left a little hungry. Would go back, but only for a special occasion.Special Features:
- good food but uncomfortable spacebbk4Dined on 5/15/2014Overall we had a good experience here. Food and wine were excellent and our server was amazing. The hostess, however, was unfriendly and a bit standoffish. Also, the dining room was small and cramped, and uncomfortably warm (it had been a hot day, and we were put at a table all the way in the back, literally next to the bathroom. This despite making reservations 3+ weeks in advance.) I would probably not dine here again during the summer as it was just too warm in the room to have a comfortable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mkt. deliverskmorrisDined on 5/13/2014mkt. offers 'fresh from the farmer' snacks and meals served family style and perfect for sharing and sampling. We had: - Grilled green beans: perfect for sharing and a tasty, guilt free snack to kick off a caloric carnival ride. - Scallops: cooked perfectly. succulent and flavorful. - Duck: offered in two ways - confit and pepper rubbed duck breast. Very good. - Rabbit: spicy and savory. Get this for sure. - Special of the day--Deep fried oysters with a jalapeno aioli. Hands down the best thing we had all night and we had some really good food. - Rhubarb tart: fresh and delicious with ice cream to boot. I would go back in a heart beat. Fresh, delicious and a treat. The only thing that could have been better were the uncomfortable chairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WINEDERFUL!!!KatyDined on 5/11/2014Absolutely wonderful! Great with friends or a date! great staff!Special Features:
- Good for vegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/4/20141/3 of the menu is veggie, so there is a good variety for the vegetarians. Of course they also had veal tongue for the adventurous meat eaters. Something to please everyone.Special Features:
- SuperbSeattleFoodieDined on 5/4/2014Our party included people with many different food preferences. All were satisfied and impressed. Each dish was artful with subtly layered flavors without adding tons of fat or dairy. Even the dessert was wonderful! We will return for our next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice experienceNicknameVIPDined on 5/1/2014We ordered oysters, carrot fritters, smoked mushroom/sweet potato gnocchi, and black cod. Everything was delicious, and the staff were very friendly. Portions were rather small and expensive for what you got. Chairs were rather hard.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Taste TreattwilightzoneDined on 4/30/2014Small, not much elbow room, not good for folks who do not like to be close to other diners. BUT....the food is delicious, sharing all plates as they recommend is so much more fun and satisfying than eating one huge entree by yourself, fun to sit at the "chef's counter" and watch the food get cooked. We are so glad we live within walking distance of this fantastic neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table by the doorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Food, service very good-the crab salad excellent...table by the door a bit to loud, staff kept bumping in to us as they rounded the corner to get to the other tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2014Mkt. is a great restaurant located in Tangletown. It's super tiny and small but great intimate feel. The server was well versed with the menu and had great recommendations. One thing I loved about the menu is how simple it was yet it had many options. You can get veggies, fish and meat. We had the halibut, delicious. The wagyu beef melts in your mouth. I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- What a fantastic Suprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2014I overly enjoyed my experience at mkt.! Food was great, I will go back and I WILL recommend it to my friends and colleagues.Special Features:
- Shhhh...JBC2014Dined on 4/23/2014mkt. was so good, I hate to expose it and lose the chance to easily go back frequently since the place is small. My husband and I split several plates and I want to brag about them all - the beet salad, the ravioli, the beef main and the pork tenderloin. Writing this review makes my mouth salivate again! I don't know how but each dish became our "favorite". Luckily, we saved room for dessert, which also did not disappoint. This restaurant is a neighborhood gem that you don't want to miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food outstanding, Service oddAmbianceseekerDined on 4/22/2014Loved the food, everything ordered was phenomenal including the cocktails. Service was odd, we felt like anytime we talked to either server we were inconveniencing them, but not necessarily rude. There was not a lot of interaction. We probably would have ordered much more had the server been more engaging. Will recommend to anyone, but will check this off my list and probably not return.Special Features:
- marjie9Dined on 4/20/2014Delicious food made with love! Great spot for date night! Seth was the best server! Definitely coming back and recommending to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekerinDined on 4/16/2014Best exp. at restaurant week I have ever had. So fresh and well thought outSpecial Features:
- Small space - big taste!haveforkwilleatDined on 4/15/2014The space inside Mkt is very very small, even by Ethan Stowell restaurant standards. The ambiance has the feel of a cross between a neighborhood deli and high end gastropub. It's welcoming but not overly casual. The food appears to have a french inspiration to it. My fiance and I enjoyed a fantastic duck confit salad with endive for one of our appetizers. The crunch of the endive complemented the tenderness of the duck nicely. One of our mains was a perfectly grilled wagyu beef steak with grilled fingerling potatoes. The vinegar (I think) reduction served with it added a nice accent to the flavor but the beef was certainly the star of the show. My dessert was lemon cake with rhubarb compote ala mode that melted in my mouth. Two thumbs ups!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.