1791 Richmond Rd
Charlottesville, VA 22911Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shadwellsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 434-202-2568x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday -Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jabari Wadlingtion
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Shadwells Restaurant
We are located on 250 East on Pantops Mtn at Peter Jefferson Place, adjacent to the new Martha Jefferson Hospital.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Shadwells Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Shadwells Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (35)special occasion (32)fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (18)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (6)romantic (5)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Shadwell Restaurant'sRobieDined on 7/22/2014This restaurant is outstanding. Loved that we brought our two grandsons 5 and almost 3, and we had a beautiful room with a nice view to ourselves. This little thoughtfulness went along way in that it allowed us to celebrate their parents anniversary without worrying about the children and if they had a slight melt down or needed a gentle reminder how to behave we were not bothering other guest. The waitress was professional yet down home friendly and we enjoyed her. The food I cannot say enough,have already started to spread the word on this wonderful establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisydinnergalDined on 7/21/2014We tried Shadwell's at dinner as part of restaurant week. Food was good, but it was quite noisy... lots of hard surfaces to echo sound... needs some sound buffering. Can't comment on portion size as I assume they were smaller than usual given the fixed price during restaurant week ($26 for 3 courses). Food was pretty good. Menu offering in general was decent.Special Features:
- Great FoodMattDined on 7/21/2014The food was amazing and the service was great. The place is a little loud though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome DinnerdinneroutDined on 7/21/2014Went to Shadwells for Restaurant Week. Fabulous dinner! Wedge salad, filet oscar, and creme brule. Waiter was excellent. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer finddinersdelightDined on 7/21/2014An excellent addition to the Charlottesville dining scene...very good food, great menu selection, excellent service and definitely one of our favorites.dSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingMandelaDined on 7/20/2014Food was really good. Not so impressed with the wine. Great cobbler pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014We enjoyed the restaurant very much and will definitely return in the future to try the regular menu, as we ordered from the restaurant week menu. Food was delicious, steak cooked perfectly! Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservations don't matter hereAbiGoDined on 7/19/2014We were visting Monticello and arrived on time for our confirmed reservation and were told to stand in line with all those without reservations. We then had to wait until everyone without a rez was seated first. Ridiculous. What was the point of making the reservation in the first place? The hostess was very rude when I asked if we needed to wait behind everyone else. We almost walked out. Our server was sweet aK. We can probably leave from mom's. nd pretty attentive overall. Delicious fresh food which my fiancé very much enjoyed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The restaurant service was awesome. We had reservations but we were about 45 minutes late because of a diaper disaster. We called to let them know and on a busy night we were seated as soon as we finally arrived. The waiter was excellent and the food was very good. It wasn't the most innovative food I've ever had but my filet mignon was cooked perfectly and everything tasted great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summertime MenuOutOfTownersDined on 7/19/2014We were in Charlottesville visiting the University. Shadwells was recommended to us. The summertime menu was fabulous. Our waiter was wonderful. The food was unique and gathered from local farms. The only slight negative to the whole experience was the noise level. Slightly louder than desired for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for groupHuffyDined on 7/13/2014They had a great room for our small group with a door we could close if we wanted to. A nice variety on the menu to choose from. The service was excellent and everyone had a good experience.Special Features:
- The following 90 reviews are from the Shadwells Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014VERY FEW PEOPLE,SUNDAY,3 OF US,DRINKS FINE,SALAD SERVED IMMEDIATELY.NO TIME TO VISIT OVER DRINKS,DINNER SERVED RIGHT ON TOP OF SALAD.UNACCEPTABLE! PLACE TO EAT,NOT DINE! WAITER DISINTERESTED
- Not What We ExpectedlindawdwDined on 6/15/2014We felt rushed to order dinner as they closed at 9 pm and we arrived at 7:25. We started with fried calamari which was just OK and then my salad (that came with my entree) came out soon after which was pretty good but our entree came out soon after and my salmon was cold and somewhat under cooked. My husband got the beef tenderloin which he enjoyed but it wasn't super hot. I told the server that my meal was cold and the manager did comp us for half off my entree and gave us a free dessert. They were very apologetic for the cold entree and offered to bring me something else. By this time I wasn't hungry so I declined. This restaurant was a disappointment to us but I did like that they tried to make it up to us with the comp and dessert.Special Features:
- James F. DickersonZionCrossroadsRealtorDined on 6/15/2014We've dined at Shadwells a half dozen times and enjoyed enjoyed every meal. The seafood preparations not overdone (over breaded, over fried, just the right filler in the crab cakes, etc.). This spring I got hooked on fish tacos in Nags Head and find the Shadwells fish tacos just as yummy as those on the Outer Banks. Sunday we had family in town for a father's day celebration. The wait staff provides efficient service with great knowledge of the food. Some of us have special dietary needs and they're able to find multiple choices instead of just one item on the menu. It's great to have a true restaurant on the East Side of Charlottesville!Special Features:
- Special Father's Day BrunchsteakmanDined on 6/15/2014The food was delicious. My wife had salmon, son and daughter split an 8 ounce filet mignon, and I had the father's day special of crispy shrimp, sausage and a small filet mignon. We had a delightful time.Special Features:
- Great restaurant in CharlottesvilleHorses4usDined on 6/14/2014So glad to have this restaurant in Charlottesville. The service and food are above many of the other places to eat and the atmosphere is very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findlaudanVIPDined on 6/13/2014We visit Charlottesville at least once a month to visit our daughter. In doing so we usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn right next door. We had never in 2 years gone to Shadwells and decided to this Friday. My husband ordered the beef tenderloin medallions and I ordered the salmon. Both were excellant; especially the tenderloins. The service was also very good with a very attentive server, I do not remember her name however. Sometimes a bit too attentive but I would rather have that than not enough service. Dessert was also excellant. We will definitely be back and have already recommended the restaurant to my daughter and also other friends that stay at the Hilton as well. Great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Lbb1Dined on 6/11/2014A family favorite! Excellent local meats. Wonderful rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience overallkatlabDined on 6/5/2014Food, atmosphere and service were great. Although they ran out of bread which was odd the food more than made up for it. The blackened tuna and crabcakes were spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingJAYZDined on 5/24/2014First time here after hearing the advertisement on a local radio station. My wife and I traveled over and hour to get there. From he time we walked in until the time we left we were treated with respect and outstanding service. The food items ordered were cooked to our liking and requirements without question. The service at the table ---- Unbelievable in today's day. And this rolls they bring out as a courtesy are reason alone to go there. I will go back. Book it and go you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Surprisingly ExcellentOliviaDined on 5/18/2014We made reservations at Shadwells for graduation dinner based solely on good reviews (and the fact that they had reservations available). The reviews proved to be completely accurate - the food was good and amply-portioned, the waiter was quite nice and attentive, and the overall price was not too bad. It's a little bit of a drive from the main hub of Charlottesville, but it's definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCrockett323Dined on 5/17/2014We went there to celebrate my daughter's graduation from UVA. The food was great and we had time in between courses, they did not rush us. We were a party of 6 and all of us enjoyed ourselves. There were several small service errors but nothing extreme. My daughter's shrimp platter came without the 3 sauces, the sweet potato fries were late coming to the table. Great desserts!Special Features:
- Fit the bill!beckyDined on 5/17/2014We recently had a celebratory lunch at Shadwell's for my son's college graduation. Although it was lunchtime & so not terribly busy, the staff was attentive & the food delicious. Our server even went the extra mile when we needed something bubbly for our under-age son instead of the champagne we were drinking. It was a wonderful meal & we were able to relax & enjoy the moment. We look forward to another chance to dine here; hopefully the outdoor area will be open soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Bad, Not GreatqueenBDined on 5/16/2014Fish tacos were good, other more ambitious dishes were just okay. Nice wine list. Only dined there once (dinner) so didn't really sample enough to give a fair review.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time's the CharmTishRDined on 5/11/2014What a great spot! I took my mom here for Mother's Day. While researching restaurants in the hour commute from Richmond to Charlottesville, I was on a search for a place with seafood, a place where I could make reservations and had nice ambiance. (Mom is kind of picky). I was happy to stumble across this restaurant's website with menus listed and the OpenTable Reservation link. Made reservations an hour before arriving. It was fully staffed, nice atmosphere, comfy seating (I requested a booth) and they even had table linen. There's a classy bar area as well, separate from the main seating. The food was well prepared (salmon, crab dip, she crab soup, salads, etc. - all Yum!) and service was great. All around neat experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRAVO !!live2eatDined on 5/11/2014The food, wine and service was excellent. We had lunch for 3 on Mother's Day. Our orders consisted of filet mignon topped with crab, fish tacos, and crab cakes. All of our meals were well prepared and delicious. They were ready in a timely manner on a very busy day. The waiter was helpful with suggestions yet not overbearing.Special Features:
- great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014This restaurant changed hands a while ago. The food is always great, but the service is as bad as it was when it was previously owned. I generally find the servers to be inattentive. On mother's day our server was not only inattentive, she made several mistakes with our orders, acted surprised when we pointed one of them out, (iced tea was ordered but a coke was brought), added shrooms to my friends meal (she doesn't like them), forgot my shrooms (which did get corrected when I pointed it out), and when the check came my friend was greatly overbilled. WE corrected it with the cash that I paid. The location is handy for lunch during work, and I always enjoy the food, but the service is mostly always lacking.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Brunch at ShadwellsFluvannaHooDined on 5/11/2014Great experience. Took the mother of my children to brunch at Shadwell's to celebrate the occasion. They were pretty busy but we had reservations so were promptly seated. Our wait person was wonderful and let us take our time looking over the menu while we sampled the Bloody Marys. Overall a very nice experience. The prime rib was served rare as requested and was a good cut of meat. Will definately be going bacvk again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014The people were very friendly and the food was ok. The waitress did not know anything and had to check on every question asked. Some food orders were wrong/messed up. They said every mother would get a flower when seated, but that never happened. It was an ok experience, I would go for dinner rather than brunch if I went again.
- Hands Above!!!HMC100Dined on 5/10/2014They have many different appetizers and entrees on the menu. Different flair for certain! The scallop appetizer was fabulous as the scallops were not overcooked and they were on a bed of al dente spinach, with a delightful cream sauce with a hint of lemon and sprinkled with bacon. To die for!!! We called the manager, Brendan over to the table to comment on our server, Kat as well as the food choices. He was very excited to hear our feedback on both service and food. Kat was a real treat! Great personality, nothing was a problem and she kept our bread basket full. Oh yes, you'll have to try the rolls! They have a very unique cucumber wasabi salad dressing that has a kick and is delightful We give it five thumbs up!!!Special Features:
- Not the best dining experience.LoKeVIPDined on 5/8/2014The overall experience for Shadwells went downhill quickly. Our crab cake appetizer was to wet and off putting. Only when after our meal arrived was bread brought to our table. Our entrees were less than spectacular. We ordered the tuna and the fried oyster platter. The tuna was under seasoned & the sides for the tuna were over peppered. The fried oysters were bland and only were made tolerable by the black bean corn salsa. We used a Visa gift card to settle part of the check & our server left a balance on the card when we instructed to use all the whole card. The check fiasco was settled but we had to wait 3 days for the credit to come back to the gift card when we were told it would be credited the next day.
- Not quite up to last visitCrabcakeLizzieDined on 5/4/2014I requested a booth in the room with bar, but was told none were available, so were seated in other dining room which has no atmosphere or energy. Having dined at Shadwell's only six days before when we were in the dining room with the bar, we were disappointed as we had highly recommended everything about Shadwell's to another couple and persuaded them to join us there. The food was excellent and the crab cakes were again delicious. My husband and I will certainly return many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We had an amazing dinner. Service was excellent. Definitely a must when we are in town.Special Features:
- Friendly service, great foodNoraTVIPDined on 5/2/2014Although we knew the crab cakes were great, we wanted to try something different than we had tasted on previous visits to Shadwells. The wait person, Ciera, recommended the mahi mahi and it was wonderful! Her recommendation of a Napa sauvigon blanc was the perfect accompaniment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first trip to shadwellslovesfoodDined on 4/24/2014Food was very good and plenty of it. Well worth the price which was extremely reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was expecting an Easter brunchmelliemelDined on 4/20/2014I made reservations for 7 people for Easter Sunday, right after church at 12:30. I was expecting brunch to be served until at least 1:00 or 2:00 like every other restaurant does. I mean, it was Easter Sunday. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Brunch was only served from 10 to 12. 2 hours? And we only had the option of the dinner menu at 12:30. $161 for 7 people is fine at dinnertime, not when you're expecting brunch (or at least a lunch menu). Probably won't be back because of this. The food is good, but that's a little much.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchFoodfor4Dined on 4/20/2014We had reservations for 4 and were seated immediately upon arrival, even though we were early. The waitress was prompt in acknowledging us. The food came in a reasonable amount of time and was hot and fresh. My bananas foster French toast was delicious but the side of bacon didn't come out with it and we had to catch the waitress to ask about it. The portions were nice size, not too big, not too small.Special Features:
- Saturday supper at ShadwellsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Shadwell's was an experience I've been waiting for and was by no means disappointed. The service was exceptional, the ambiance was perfect & the food was absolutely delicious. I ordered a dish I've had at many restaurants and Shadwell's chicken was a sheer delight. I look forward to my next dining experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Mud500Dined on 4/17/2014My Manhatten was superb and the food was even better! My wife and I were happy to find this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Neck RendezvousEatOutEdDined on 4/11/2014Pretty good crab cakes, though not up to Maryland's best. Chicken Calvados is juicy and delicious, but no trace of apples or calvados in its otherwise very tasty sauce. Unfortunately, the patrons of its former incarnation, a budget steakhouse, still flock to it for ribs and steaks. We sat in view of the entrance and were appalled by the parade of really slovenly dressed men and their apparently complicit dates/wives. Rumpled, collared shirts, not tucked in were a high fashion note among this crowd. A surprising number wore just T-shirts (again, not tucked in). Whether camouflage-colored or not, ball caps turned backward and worn throughout the meal were the norm. I consistently see much better dressed men in my weekly trips to Walmart.