1634 Beacon Street
Brookline, MA 02445Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fireplacerest.com/
- Phone: 6179751900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Mid-Day menu: Daily: 2:30pm - 5:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Solomon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Fans of our rustic yet upscale fare at The Fireplace can also enjoy our locally sourced food at private events. Show off your home. Or pick the perfect place for a business outing, wedding or charity gala. We"ve got connections with some pretty magical New England venues.
- Private Party Facilities: The upscale but homey ambiance of The Fireplace makes for unforgettable gatherings. Parties as small as fourteen and as large as ninety fit perfectly into our cozy but comfortable confines.
- Private Party Contact: Laurie Stuehmer 6179751900
- Entertainment: We love good music almost as much as we love good food. Join us at The Fireplace for some cool jazz and hot Latin music on the first Wednesdays and Thursdays of each month at The Fireplace. Shows start at 9:30pm.
- Special Events: Your credit card on file will be charge $25 per person if a cancellation is not made within 48 hours.
A word from The Fireplace
The Fireplace located in Brookline Massachusetts is a cosmopolitan New England Grill serving food with integrity while celebrating the bounty of the region and its Colonial influences. In addition to being the 1st Certified Green Restaurant in Boston, the restaurant has won numerous awards and mentions including Outstanding Wine List (Wine Spectator 2013), Chocolate Madness WinnerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Fireplace reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (81)fit for foodies (75)special occasion (43)romantic (38)great for brunch (34)great for lunch (30)good for groups (27)great for outdoor dining (20)notable wine list (19)kid-friendly (13)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very pleasedPenpat2020Dined on 12/28/2013Went with my wife and another couple and had a great dinner experience. Duck special was very good as was my wife's vegetable pasta dish. "cheese board" was a bit disappointing only from the lack of actual cheese on the plate as it was a 2" x 2" x 2" chunk. Service was prompt and friendly and the bartenders were great. Sat at the bar prior to our guests arrival and made a great drink. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- Cozy winter meal locationSheeshDined on 12/28/2013Cozy winter meal location, especially if you sit in the main level area where the fireplace is. Wait staff could have been a bit more attentive with drink and water refills, but otherwise the service and experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Christmas Dinner!JennDVTVIPDined on 12/25/2013What a treat! Not many restaurants are open on Christmas, so we drove about 30 minutes to Brookline. What a warm, welcoming establishment! We were seated promptly (we had reservations) right in front of the fire. Service was terrific. Friendly and warm and unobtrusive. Food was superb. Looooved the bread! I had the chicken and it was exactly the tasty comfort food I wanted. My boyfriend also loved his dish. Ambience was perfect and the vibe was lively but relaxed and quiet enough for dinner conversation. Thanks for being open on Christmas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crammed too many tables intoOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/25/2013Crammed too many tables into too small a space. Food great; atmosphere so-so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas magicBooberryDined on 12/25/2013Dined by the fire, very cozy and romantic. The food was outstanding except for the Creme brûlée. Lamb, brussel sprout/ cauliflower salad, everything else so delicious . Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was sleepyJDBOSDined on 12/25/2013The food was great. The presentation on the plate was attractive. The mood in the restaurant was relaxing. The server was totally out of sink with the meal in terms of timing and attentiveness. For example, receiving our wine after we finished with the appetizer, we had to ask for a spoon several minutes after receiving soup (because we couldn't get his attention), not having sweetener when we ordered an after dinner coffee. I had to pull some out of my purse to use. I didn't have any type of beverage the last 15 minutes of my dinner. We had to keep flagging him down for basic table necessities and then he forgot us at the end and we waited a fully bussed table for the check for at least 5 minutes. It went on and on from there.Special Features:
- Christmas TreatpharmacyfrauDined on 12/25/2013Our family dined here for Christmas dinner and had a lovely meal. The waitstaff was phenomenol and very attentive without being overbearing. They had a special menu for the holiday that included many comfort foods. The butternut squash bisque was excellent. Several of us had the duck which was delicious but the portions were so large we had to take some home (not that I am complaining). The lamb and filet mignon was also excellent. Desserts were yummy and the portions were just the right size. The only negative was the overcrowding of tables in the main dining room & an AC unit that was blowing cold air on one section of the dining room resulting in several diners sending back their plates to be rewarmed (luckily they fixed it quickly)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious comfort food. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2013Delicious comfort food. We devoured our meals. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Being honestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013I'm sorry to report that all four of us were disappointed with our dinner last Monday. It's hard to find restaurants open on Mondays, so we were glad to come to The Fireplace, where I've had many lovely dinners in the past. The small plates were both too small and not flavorful enough. The pretzel bites were too many and too rich. One of our party is a vegetarian, so it's always a challenge for her to find tasty food when dining out. We'll have to come back and give it another try sometime soon in the new year.
- main eventlongftimefanDined on 12/23/2013The old-reliable lunch menu satisfied - with more than enough taste and quantity. Truly a neighborhood bright star, and a parking lot in back to round out the picture. Friends and I come here when we need recharging and attention.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceSuzieVIPDined on 12/21/2013I really enjoyed my meal at the Fireplace. I ordered three small plates of different items off of the menu and each one was delicious!! I like the idea of having the ability to choose either a small or large portion of many items on the menu. Great care was taken to provide me with plenty of gluten free options. All in all, a great dining experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, gluten-free awesome-ness.CIA22Dined on 12/21/2013We went here for a special occasion and immediately fell in love with the place. Great corner location, right across from the T. And who could forgot the fireplace? Seating may be a little awkward, but the incredible service and un-pretentiousness makes up for it. Being gluten-free, not by choice, the menu blew my mind! From the lobster mac and cheese, to the warm bread, and wine selection. It was ah-mazing. I want to come back for every meal, and try everything! I have never been so impressed. Thank you so much! Please visit this place, you won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCAllanDined on 12/21/2013Great location in the heart of Brookline. Food was delicious and he atmosphere is great. The kitchen is open to all to see and looked very clean and professional. Service was great and there is plenty of metered parking all around.Special Features:
- A Consistent FavoriteScratchDined on 12/20/2013The Fireplace is one of my 'go-to' restaurants for special occasions or occasions that I want to make special. I'm probably there 5 or 6 times a year, which doesn't make me a regular, but the friendly staff always makes me feel like they've missed me. The food is interesting -- usually modern American cuisine -- and well-prepared; the portions are reasonable without being overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening. CelebratedTargaDined on 12/19/2013Wonderful evening. Celebrated my mother's 84 th birthday.. Perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experienceRichDined on 12/18/2013It was the perfect location for treating my staff to a holiday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very flexibleOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/16/2013Really appreciate the gluten free menu and the willingness of the staff to adjut the menu according to what sounds delicious rather than what the menu says it comes with. Have never had a problem adjusting a dish or asking for something different. Very kind, and great attention to detail with allergiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently creative, well-executeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/15/2013Consistently creative, well-executed, locally-sourced food. One of my all-time Greater Boston favs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group MeetingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/11/2013We had a group meeting at the Fireplace recently, and had a great time. The food was excellent and the atmosphere warm and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for quality of foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/9/2013Caesar salad bore no resemblance to classical recipe.
- Excellent Brunch with FriendsamiapickyeaterDined on 12/8/2013A good place for brunch - food was delicious and our waiter was great. Easy parking in the neighborhood on a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the fireplace at the FireplaceoutstandingVIPDined on 12/5/2013We went for a later dinner and were seated right by the fireplace in the lower section of the restaurant. We loved the fireplace and the warmth it generated on a cold night. The food and service were just excellent. It's a favorite restaurant for us when we visit Boston...if we lived closer we would be there more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fatty brisketOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/4/2013the brisket was almost all fat. Sent it back and switched to the tried and true scallops. Jim, the owner, did come to the table to apologize and offered us a free dessert. A welcomed touch. Won't let this stop us from going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fantastic, greatSuzwhyDined on 11/28/2013The food was fantastic, great atmosphere, made for a lovely thanks giving!Special Features:
- Thanksgiving Dinner 2013KeegDined on 11/28/2013First time we'd gone to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. Great meal, service, and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another SlamdunkJayODined on 11/22/2013I love this place. Never had a bad time or meal there. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLLLdinnerDined on 11/20/2013Quaint yet upscale dining experience. Menu was well developed and the food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2013We had some upsetting news and found a quiet table at the Fireplace to talk. Wonderful, attentive but not intrusive service. Wonderful food and some wonderful wine. I had never been to the Fireplace before but I had heard it served comfort food. That night, it served just plain comfort.
- The restaurant was freezing.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2013The restaurant was freezing. It was November and the AC was blowing in my face. I requested it to be turned down and it was for 5 minutes and then returned to the same temp. There was no other table seated in the upper level so no need for us to be where we were. We reserved days in advance and were still seated at a table for 4 when all the tables for 2 were vacant. Ironic now cold we felt in a place called the fireplace! Overall very disappointing for these reasons but enjoyed the food.
- Perfect, As AlwaysGoodeatsDined on 11/17/2013We lucked out with a seat by the fireplace which made this an exceptionally wonderful experience, though the food and service, as always were wonderful. I highly recommend this restaurant. It is a particularly good choice for special occasions. Fortunately for us, it is located close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The name says it all...Meg91Dined on 11/16/2013Enjoyed a cozy fireside dinner with my date. Perfect on a wintry evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone DownhilljudesterDined on 11/16/2013Was there about 10 years ago and it was so memorable we wanted to try it again because we were back in town. BUMMER - terrible cut of steak. Very small portions of app's - so felt very overpriced. Honestly would get a better cut and flavor at Applebees for 1/3 of the price. Too Bad! I would not reco this place to anyone.
- Top notch and GF/DF friendly!SharvstrongDined on 11/16/2013The food here is delicious! I recommend getting the "smallish" plates and sharing so you can get a taste of more than one dish. The night we went, the Autumn themed soups were out of this world! We've also been for brunch with friends and that was really great, too. Try the Bellini. Amazing! I'm gluten free and their options and GF menu are extensive and include flat bread to start and brownies to finish. The staff is very knowledgable about the ingredients in the food. A perfect dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousteeteeDined on 11/16/2013The sea scallops with lobster hash was superb. Everything on the table was fresh and filled with taste.Special Features:
- One of the fist very coldnonameVIPDined on 11/12/2013One of the fist very cold nights this fall-- we sat by the Fireplace itself, with a roaring fire, wonderful warmth and light. Great food-- antelope! Lovely wine, sweet service, nice evening.Special Features:
- Great service, okay foodWantedToBeWowedVIPDined on 11/9/2013We brought a large group (12) here this past weekend for a reunion brunch. A bunch of us had been for dinner in the past and had loved it so we all were looking forward to the brunch. The service was excellent and they really dealt well with having such a large group. The food was just okay. The omelet left a lot to be desired and was pricey for what it was, the crispy cornmeal gingerbread waffles were soggy and didn't taste at all like gingerbread (said all 3 who ordered them). The one win seemed to be the duck hash. I'd go back but only for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The FireplaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/2013Maitre d was wonderful. Young guy was thoughtful, friendly. He helped us to accommodate an elderly member of our party. He moved our reservation to the street level dining area so that the elderly person did not have to negotiate steps. Thank you! Service quite good except a bit of hovering near us in the beginning as we decided upon our order. But friendly and engaging. Prices--a bit steep. I just am not used to 30-40 dollar entrees in Boston. Food good, particularly the braised beef appetizer, but quality of food were not worth the price. They easily took our request to split an entree. Pleasant atmosphere, relatively quiet although we were near the bar.
- cozy place with great foodWorldTravelerDined on 11/6/2013I had not been to the restaurant in at least five years, and my colleagues recommended it. So I took a guest to dinner here. I requested and secured a place next to the fire on a chilling evening. What a wonderful ambience --sipping a nice glass of wine by the fire! The service was excellent, and the dishes delicious. I had the braised short ribs with sweet potatoes, and duck confit salad. They were amazing (thought a lot of food; I took home about half the ribs). I had a lovely syrah to go with the food, suggested by the waitress, who also did a great job of telling us about the food options, checking on us without being overbearing.Special Features:
- The Fireplace has made someRicoDined on 11/5/2013The Fireplace has made some changes for the better to the menu since I was last there. They have a choice of smaller or larger size plates so that now I can order a smaller portion and not overeat or have to share a larger plate. And the food is as good as it always has been, with great variety. I was impressed at how busy it was even at 8:00 PM on a Tuesday night. Nice to see them doing well by providing such good quality and value for so many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Date Night SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2013Definitely make a reservation, but you won't be sorry that you did. The food is delicious, creative, and appropriately portioned at all courses - from the unique cheese selections, through small plates, the entrees and dessert. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.