1634 Beacon Street
Brookline, MA 02445Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fireplacerest.com/
- Phone: 6179751900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Mid-Day menu: Daily: 2:30pm - 5:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Solomon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Fans of our rustic yet upscale fare at The Fireplace can also enjoy our locally sourced food at private events. Show off your home. Or pick the perfect place for a business outing, wedding or charity gala. We"ve got connections with some pretty magical New England venues.
- Private Party Facilities: The upscale but homey ambiance of The Fireplace makes for unforgettable gatherings. Parties as small as fourteen and as large as ninety fit perfectly into our cozy but comfortable confines.
- Private Party Contact: Laurie Stuehmer 6179751900
- Entertainment: We love good music almost as much as we love good food. Join us at The Fireplace for some cool jazz and hot Latin music on the first Wednesdays and Thursdays of each month at The Fireplace. Shows start at 9:30pm.
- Special Events: Your credit card on file will be charge $25 per person if a cancellation is not made within 48 hours.
A word from The Fireplace
The Fireplace located in Brookline Massachusetts is a cosmopolitan New England Grill serving food with integrity while celebrating the bounty of the region and its Colonial influences. In addition to being the 1st Certified Green Restaurant in Boston, the restaurant has won numerous awards and mentions including Outstanding Wine List (Wine Spectator 2013), Chocolate Madness WinnerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Fireplace reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (73)special occasion (42)romantic (37)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (29)good for groups (25)great for outdoor dining (19)notable wine list (19)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Food, High PricesTrueBostonDined on 2/15/2014We went to the Fireplace for Valentine's weekend. They have a nice quaint but upscale environment that was perfect for a date night. Our server was friendly although not very knowledgeable on the wines or the menu of the evening (she claimed she had just gotten to work that day, so had to check with the kitchen on the details of a few items). Overall the food was pretty delicious, lobster bisque, lobster macaroni and cheese and an arugula and pomegranate salad. Since we split one salad and one entree and had one of the cheapest bottles of wine there, I was still a little surprised that it came out to over $100 for a dinner for two. That being said I'd definitely go again for a special occasion if money was no object.Special Features:
- FoodGreatonVIPDined on 2/15/2014Soup was cold on delivery and had tobe sent back waiter rushed us and neglected to advise us about specials.Special Features:
- This is my 2nd time here,RomanticSpotDined on 2/14/2014This is my 2nd time here, first time for dinner! We were seated promptly and nearly every table in the place was full. Waiter greeted us quickly and was knowledgable with the menu. I got the braised short ribs....VERY tasty, consistency a bit like a pot roast, but full of flavor nonetheless and accompanied with some great extras such as sweet potato mash (which I would have sworn was more like a corn bread mash). My date got the mallard duck and loved it. Both meals were excellent! Good selection of drinks and willingness to make anything not on the menu was a plus. All in all, I'm a big fan of this place! Will absolutely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/14/2014My fiancé and I went for valentines day. We had an awesome server very friendly and kept conversation with us. We had asked to be sit near the fireplace and they sat us near it. The food selection is great and dessert if you have the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect choice for a great evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We we're delighted! We've been to the Fireplace before for quiet dinners and our own special occasions, but what the staff did to transform the place for Valentine's Day was an unexpected surprise. Everyone greeted us very warmly, the entire restaurant was decorated in lights and balloons, and the seating swapped out for mostly tables of two. All of which made it feel special. The surprises continued, it was clear the chefs put some thought into a very special menu for the Valentine's experience and it did not disappoint.... A flight of Cavas and a mouthwatering rib eye for two with perfect side dishes, yummy and sensual. So good I had to stop and thank the chefs on our way out!! The Fireplace is a perfect choice for every occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced and poor quality.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Over priced and poor quality. So many better places in the area. I wouldn't waste my time again.Special Features:
- Valentine's DinnerAshokaDined on 2/14/2014Went for Valentines dinner. They had the restaurant decked out with pink and red, it was so nice. We've been several times to the Fireplace. Food is usually great. I had short ribs and the meet was so tender and flavorful! It came with a delicious side of portage, which I'd never had before. The service was weird. I was given someone else's side soup. Luckily I knew I wasn't supposed to get it but? When my wife's dish came, the presentation was awful. She got the same dish we'd seen on other tables, but hers had fallen apart and I don't know if it was the waiters fault or the kitchen. But, they were packed, and it was delicious, so, forgiven. But then, we were given the wrong check. The table next to us. Good thing we really looked at it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What it Used to BebermudaonionVIPDined on 2/14/2014Used to go frequently to the Fireplace, then down to a few times a year. Have had a few events there some time ago. Unfortunately, there has been a real downward turn, the last year ir two and further downward recently. The beet appetizer was ok, but did not seem fresh. Both sandwiches were dry. The tuna smelled 'old' like it had been out too long, and the BLT had limp untoasted bread and huge dry chunks of way overcooked chicken comlemented with almost raw bacon. Would probably not be back except for a glass of wine and no food.. Too bad.
- Attentive Service. Excellent FoodBruncherDined on 2/9/2014The fantastic service compelled me to write a review. We were seated by the fireplace upon arrival. We received menus water and hot rolls while we decided between the brunch selection which was really brunch. There were salads, sandwiches and burgers. My husband had the house awarding winning burger stuffed with cheddar topped with sauted onions and bacon and is still talking about it. I had the Cobb salad with avocado vinaigrette which was great but can't wait to go back and try their breakfast sandwich. The waitress was so attentive. Our water was always full. Polite follow up after ou bloody Mary's made to our spicy specifications. We had never been and were looking for a new brunch place to try but I would go back, maybe next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunch menu, lovely placeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/9/2014Nice brunch menu, lovely place to sit, but way too pricey for what is served. A $14 omelette, flat and lightly filled, with nothing on the plate? $75 for 3 with only a juice and 2 coffees? Too expensive!
- Love this place!JamieVIPDined on 2/7/2014My lover and I have been here twice and absolutely love it! Food is always great and fresh. Love sitting near the fireplace on a cold winter night too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and wonderfulFoodieonthemoveDined on 2/7/2014Incredible food and wonderful service. I highly recommend the twin lobster roll appetizer-a can't miss for lobster lovers. The green apple slaw makes the dish light and vibrant. I've never gone wrong with anything I've ordered on the menu.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurantmscoDined on 2/3/2014The fireplace is my absolute favorite restaurant for a reason. Moderately priced, great seasonal menu, friendly staff, and cozy atmosphere. The food is always delicious, from starter to dessert. They also have a kids menu! Its not that big, so I'd recommend making a reservation, but when I've gone there without one it's easy to sit and eat at the bar. HIGHLY recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Worst Brunch EverLovefoodVIPDined on 2/2/2014The table where we were seated was too close to the kitchen serving area and we were constantly bumped. The bloody marys tasted , well actually they had no taste at all and the ice was melted. If I didn't know better I would guess that they were leftover from a wrong order and served to us to get rid of them; any other explanation would be less believable. The food was tasty but warm to cool and considering how close to the kitchen we were was surprising. When we asked to be moved so that I wasn't "perched" on my chair the hostess claimed that they had a lot of reservations, which actually should not be my problem. All in all a top 10 worst brunches ever. And it was a Birthday Brunch to boot.
- all woud be 5-tsars but theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/2/2014all woud be 5-tsars but the food wasnt altogether hot when it arrived at our table. otherwise, it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chintzy cheeseSenioritaDined on 2/1/2014Ordered two cheeses to share - 4 of us 2 big guys each piece was no bigger than a half of a thumb - it was obscenely ridiculous - the owner and management should be able to figure out a more palattable cheese experience. Everything else very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!ChuckDined on 2/1/2014The Fireplace has been one of our favorite special occasion restaurants since it opened. But you don't need a special occasion to go - the food/wine list is terrific and the price is not over the top. I recommend requesting a table near the fireplace for the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dinner with New FriendFirstTimeCustomerDined on 2/1/2014I was meeting with a new friend that I was eager to get to know better, and the Fireplace was recommended to me. It was a perfect choice. The ambience was warm and comfortable. The staff were relaxed and accommodating. Rachel helped us at the bar and at dinner, and was really sweet. The Fireplace has a great Gluten Free menu and everything we ordered was delicious. Thank you for making our night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous find!SDouglasVIPDined on 1/31/2014Found it on Open Table... Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- YumluckylouVIPDined on 1/29/2014Went for lunch. Extensive menu and couldn't decide! Arugula salad with duck confit was outstanding.Special Features:
- We both had steak which wasQuiggyDined on 1/26/2014We both had steak which was done to perfection. An excellent Pinot Noir to accompany superb sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brookline GemhappydinerVIPDined on 1/25/2014Wonderful creative food honed by chef Jim Solomon, who recently added a celebrated Israeli pastry chef. The Fireplace is the best restaurant in Brookline--and worth the 10-minute easy drive from Back Bay. Best Ceasar salad and bread in Boston. During this cold winter, I yearn to sit in front of the large fireplace and we do so at least twice a week. Thank you to the talented Chef Solomon, a gracious and charming star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Date placeJenniferVIPDined on 1/25/2014The Fireplace is our go to for Date Nights and has been for years. The menu has changed since the last time we eat there (beyond the normal seasonal changes), as the restaurant has gone green. Given the restrictions that can come with "green," my husband and I worried that the experience will have changed, but happily while certain things on the menu are no longer available, the food is still just as wonderful as ever. We love this place because the food is great, the price is right and the setting is great for dates, groups, etc.Special Features:
- Bad service - food is okJoanneVIPDined on 1/25/2014I went here for the Super Hunger Brunch. Even though I have made reservation, the girl who was sitting us has caused a lot of issues; ended up giving away our table to other people in the restaurants. Other than that, the food is ok. I probably will not come back anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fantastic althoughAKLEINVIPDined on 1/25/2014The food was fantastic although the service left a little to be desired. Not sure if they were under staffed but there was only one hostess and even with a reservation it took close to ten minutes to be seated. If we had not had a reservation not sure we would have been able to eat here so a reservation for brunch is a must! And given that every table was taken, I felt like other servers and what appeared to be the manager did a better job helping us out then our own server. I would still tell people to go here but be prepared for a long meal, which for me is more than alright!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing service, okay foodDisappointedDined on 1/25/2014I waited a while to be seated, as the hostess noticeably swept by me multiple times to seat later-arrived parties. I felt awkward and unwelcome, but stuck it out as I had already purchased a coupon for the meal. When there was no one else left waiting, the hostess proceeded to take me to a table that was so cramped in a corner, I had to squeeze past the chairs of other diners to get to my seat, which I then had to slide into as there was no room to pull the chair back. I asked if I could be seated at the first-come, first-served bar, as others had been to enjoy brunch in relative comfort. The hostess insisted that I remain in my uncomfortable seating. The food was ok, but my experience was marred by that first 30 minutes.
- Cozy cornerFrankophileVIPDined on 1/23/2014When reserving on this frigid day, I requested a table near the fireplace, but the only ones available when we arrived were a crowded two-top and another too close to the restaurant's entrance for comfort. So my companion and I were tucked into a back corner table with a banquette, which was lovely, but may have kept us "out-of-mind," as our service was slow and our lunch hour stretched into two. Fortunately, the conversation and food were good, although the Brussels sprouts in my salad were hardly "charred," and the onions barely grilled, as described in the menu. My companion's burger looked thick and tasty, and he declared it "very good." The pear tart that we shared for dessert was the highlight of my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a great restaurantBermudaDined on 1/22/2014we are just visiting Boston on Medical and we were looking for a nice restaurant for a good meal and get out of hotels. We came across this restaurant in Oct when we were here and we liked it so much we wanted to try it again when we had to return back for the winter. We love the unique type of food choices. We loved the flavors and would go any time. Coming from Bermuda we found the prices comparable to what we would pay for a good back home.Special Features:
- Nicole's Second DayTokoDined on 1/19/2014We had Nicole as our waitress and even though it was only her second day she handled things like a pro. The service was attentive without being intrusive. The food and drinks were excellent and we were made to feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- large groupOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/18/2014A dozen or so of us, including friends from out of town got together recently. The food was great (no surprise), and the service was spot-on. Really helpful, coordinated, and attentive without rushing us. Perfect choice!Special Features:
- A nice neighborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2014A small neighborhood venue with a creative menu and locally sourced food. There are enough 'small dish' items under various categories that I ate a 'tapas' type dinner while my husband took the standard 'salad and entree' approach. The smaller dishes were creative - the pomegranate and pear salad with arugula was superb, as was the 'preview' of their winter menu clam 'chowder' (it was way more than a chowder, featuring applewood smoked bacon, celery, hand-made gnocchi and whole clams). Highlyl recommended for a nicer evening out.Special Features:
- A very lovely anniversary dinner…MeagDined on 1/15/2014Upon arrival I immediately knew this would be good. Our waiter was amazing, Josh or Joshua? Our water was filled frequently and food delivered quickly despite the busy crowd. Mostly couples surrounded us. I got the Caesar and my date got their signature burger. Both were delicious! Our waiter knew it was our third anniversary and dessert was on him! Very sweet and unexpected! Will return for future dates!Special Features:
- Night spotBBbluesDined on 1/13/2014I was in town for a BC b-ball game... looking to connect with my kids... choose this location as rated by open table. Not disappointed... good menu selection... lot's of small plates and desert options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent late night light mealmissylrpVIPDined on 1/11/2014After traveling for 6 hours, we were exhausted and hungry but it was 10:45pm. Where to eat? The Fireplace welcomed us and we had an excellent light meal. There were 4 of us and we ordered salads, soup and sandwiches. The warm lobster roll was different than I had in the past but I really enjoyed it! We would definitely return...hopefully, earlier to sample entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfying and nourishing mealJakeDined on 1/10/2014Great food and very consistent in service, ambiance, and food. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemMJIFDined on 1/10/2014Finally made it to The Fireplace and we loved it. Excellent menu with great flexibility, most items can be small plates or large plates. Very gluten-free friendly, first restaurant I've been to that serves a gluten free roll during the regular bread service. Everything the three of us had was fabulous: risotto, pomegranite and pear salad, roast brussel sprouts, short rib, duck confit salad, steak bits. We'll be back soon to explore the rest of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great American-style foodFatboyDined on 1/10/2014Had another reliably wonderful meal. Food appears to broad audience, with refined palatesSpecial Features:
- Don't overlook the Fireplace.AnniesnannyDined on 1/5/2014With a lot of new trendy places in Washington Square grabbing the foodie headlines, it may be easy to overlook this long time quality place to dine. Don't. It is pleasant, consistent, and serves good food. The menu is imaginative but not pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveBeaconDined on 12/31/2013On Open Table I put in a request for window and second level of restaurant. I got neither. Since it was busy, I did not ask the maitre D about the request and that is probably why it didn't happen. However, I have to say that the table we did get probably turned out to be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful location, wonderfulCMF914Dined on 12/31/2013Beautiful location, wonderful owners, romantic setting if you sit by the Fireplace. Really delicious food, reasonably priced considering the outstanding ambience, service and quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.