1 Main Street
Stockton, NJ 08559Neighborhood:
New Hope / Lambertville
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stocktoninn.com/
- Phone: 6093971250x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 5:30pm
Sunday at 4:00pm
Tuesday and Wednesday Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Alan Heckman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live background music on weekends. Please feel free to call to inquire as to any specific dates or to make a request.
A word from Stockton Inn
The historic Stockton Inn, circa 1710, is nestled in the quaint Borough of Stockton, just a few minutes drive from the hustle and bustle of New Hope PA and Lambertville NJ. Sitting near the banks of the Delaware River, which separates New Jersey and Pennsylvania, it is a relaxing hour's drive from both NYC and Philadelphia. The Inn proudly serves American cuisine using the freshest local ingredients whenever possible. Indulge yourself in the Inn's romance and revel in her storied history. No other country inn in the region offers more! We look forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Stockton Inn - Best Restaurants in New Hope / Lambertville ›
Stockton Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (23)romantic (18)special occasion (15)neighborhood gem (11)scenic view (9)fit for foodies (8)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Stockton Inn Winter EveningMv74TorinoDined on 2/20/2014First time at the Stockton Inn. Went for our anniversary and had a very nice, cozy quiet dinner. It was midweek after the snowstorm and quite frankly we were the only couple in the main "Murals" dinning room. Great table right next to the fire place. Server could not have been more gracious and helpful with menu suggestions. Will definitely go there again. Outdoor dining in warm weather looks very nice on back patio and front porch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Restaurant, But So Warm.BanzaiRabbitDined on 2/20/2014We were instantly impressed by the gorgeous Colonial-era restaurant. We were quickly seated, and while we admired the building and decor, we immediately noticed that the restaurant was excessively warm inside, to the point of distraction. Our server was very attentive and took our order promptly. My lady opted for potato-leek soup, while I chose a crock of French onion soup; both soups were superb, but the excessive warmth began to feel oppressive. By the time our entrees arrived, we were both uncomfortable. I had rosemary chicken breast, which was excellent. My lady chose Scottish salmon, which was good but bland. Sadly, the effects of the heat ended up causing us to cut our visit short in an otherwise romantic and classy setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food, service, and attentionclassicDined on 2/17/2014The food, service, and attention to details were good. The wait staff was very pleasant. We were disappointed that three of the menu items we selected were unavailable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and servixeNJSpartansDined on 2/17/2014Came here with a group of 8, crunched for time, was servers a devious meal, in 1.5 hours. Including appetizer, dinner, and dessert. The Stockton Inn is a very large interesting restaurant. The staff was extremely friendly. The clams casino, calamari, and short rib chili is a must try! All our dinner enters were great - braises short ribs, chicken pot pie, NY strip steak. Dessert was incredible. I'm not a big cheese cake fan but the turtle cheesecake was awesome!!!! Came with two kids, one is fairly picky, she had no issues finding something to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day Success,MateoDined on 2/15/2014Other than a pedestrian Caesar salad, all our dishes were outstanding. Service was friendly and attentive. I will be back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The food was cooked to perfection and the atmosphere was very cozy and romantic. The service was excellent, very attentive, but not overly so. The overall experience left us with a very memorable nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect EveningSandraDined on 2/14/2014Our visit was perfection from start to finish. The reception was warm and genuine. My coat was taken. The ambiance was wonderful. It was warm and cozy. The renovations are beautiful. Our waitress was very professional-warm and friendly and disappeared at all the right times. The food was outstanding both in taste and presentation. It was a delightful relaxing evening. The "cadence" just flowed, cocktails flowed into the appetizers- to meal into dessert-not rushed, relaxed. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair Place for Valentine's Day.JustJezDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went to the Stockton Inn for dinner on Valentine's Day and the overall experience was good. The location and restaurant were very nice. The fire and piano player were nice touches. The appetizers (lobster fondue and oyster and mushroom soup) were delicious! Our main courses were so-so and the dessert selections were pedestrian. They used to have a decadent chocolate cake that was outstanding, but no longer. I think some of the issue we had was our server. He was an older gentleman and just was all out of sorts with maybe too many tables? We'd ask a question about something on the menu or wine menu and he'd give a quick one word answer and was on his way. Our entrees seemed to have that "I've sat in the window too long" look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's SuccessGretchenDined on 2/14/2014This was our first time visiting the Stockton Inn and I'm very sure that it won't be our last time there. They had a wonderful menu, even for a special occasion evening. We never felt like we were being rushed or that the course came out one on top of each other. We can't wait for the nice weather gets here so that we can enjoy a weekend lunch or dinner on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good meal, excellent ambianceCaptainCrunchDined on 2/14/2014This was dinner out on valentine's day with my wife. Food was very good, and service very good too. Ambiance was excellent as we were seated at a table for two between a fireplace and pianist. We had an early reservation, yet the pianist started playing around 6pm. The entire experience exceeded our expectations. Prices were a bit higher than what I was led to believe on Open Table, but given the quality, service, and entertainment, it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day Romance3wingDined on 2/14/2014I had been to this restaurant once before but sat outside by the bar during a summer evening. By far, the Valentine's dinner exceeded our expectations. The food was incredible, the best meal we have had in awhile. Th atmosphere was wonderful and the service was right on. Was not rushed at all as we thoroughly enjoyed everything g about our special night out. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and romantic!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014This is one of the best restaurant experiences that I have had in quite awhile. We split the Surf and Turf meal, and we were both blown away by how great everything it was! Steak was phenomenal. Atmosphere was beautiful, quiet and romantic. We enjoyed the piano player who came in about half way through our meal. Heard a lot of great things about this place and after experiencing it ourselves, we would definitely recommend this restaurant without out a doubt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Spot, Decent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014The Stockton Inn is an amazingly romantic antique building with great service, hospitality and ambiance. For the price, though, I thought there food wasn't stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tavern LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 2/8/2014I really enjoyed the chicken pot pie that is part of their tavern menu. That and the onion soup made a perfect winter lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticPronolloDined on 2/1/2014Romantic spot, but the draw is the food. Everyone loved everything they ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- filippo47filippo47VIPDined on 1/26/2014Always reliable, nice additions to the menu every time we go, so there is always something new to look forward to try. Cozy and romantic, great winter place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful historic building,PhoenixfoodieDined on 1/18/2014Beautiful historic building, with a big fireplace roaring in the dining room, big picture window overlooking the outdoor patio which was beautifully lit with white bulbs even though it was the dead of winter. Have been here in summer on the patio and loved the atmosphere there, too. Only ordered off the "pub" menu, but we all agreed there was very interesting choices on the main menu. I've had the burger before and was never disappointed. Got the chicken pot pie this time and enjoyed the big chunks of chicken and veggies; absolutely loved the crust with rosemary. Others got the shortrib chili, the sheppard's pie and the crab cakes. There was nothing left on anyone's plate and no one had room for dessert. Good beer choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice destinationOut2DinnerDined on 1/11/2014We enjoyed a very nice family dinner at the Stockton Inn. Given the wood burning fireplace and the pianist, it would be a wonderful, romantic venue for a couples dinner. Very good food and a nice wine list (and reasonably priced). Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to normalfilippo47VIPDined on 1/6/2014After a rather disappointing dinner the last time we dined at Stockton Inn, we went back on a quiet Monday night and had an excellent dinner.. From the oysters, ( Chicatee and Black Points) to the Lobster fondue and the herb encrusted lamb tenderloin, everything was well prepared and presented. Excellent service, the ambiance couldn't have been better. .As we dine there on average once a week I am happy that the last dinner was just a temporary hiccup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food but few folkBritishKDined on 1/4/2014We had a super family meal with grandparents visiting from Scotland. It was tough to find a restaurant that suited all our tastes but Stockton Inn did that beautifully. It really was a lovely setting, the Christmas lights were still up so it looked especially pretty. The fireplace was burning which gave a warm welcome on a very cold evening. Our server was very attentive and looked after us beautifully. The appetizers and entrees were all pronounced delicious, the only slight let down was desserts which were so so.The one lacking thing was clientele, we were the only people there in the 2 hours we dined 7:30-9 Sat It seemed a shame that this gem of a restaurant is not more frequented. We will definitely return very soon.Special Features:
- Historic ResaurantevbuckspaVIPDined on 1/4/2014This Restaurant has lots of Character, very popular 100 years ago with the Literary Set, has hand painted Murals from artists of that time also to help pay for their "tab". Place has excellent food and drinks. Old historic area and New tastefully done addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!!HamchiDined on 12/31/2013My wife and I went here for New Years and couldn't be more happy with the experience, food ,service and atmosphere!!!! We would highly recommend this restuarant for any special occasion!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a bad bitewzc5pjDined on 12/31/2013Everything my wife and I ate was delicious. Service was spot on with very attentive wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great New Year's EveVickiBDined on 12/31/2013Four of us went to The Stockton Inn for a 2013 New Years Eve dinner. The food and service was great and the prices were very reasonable for a Holiday dinner. The Inn is beautiful and quintessential of this part of the US.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was Good, Terrible ServiceCBGB07Dined on 12/31/2013The Stockton Inn is charming, but staff/service need a lot of work. Rating = FAIR. Food is good, but pricey; deserves competent service, proper presentation and attention to the guests and every other detail of the dining experience. More training needed for staff. Too many young, inexperienced, inattentive, forgetful, clumsy youngsters. Need some adults around to supervise what is going on. Were ignored for over 20 minutes. Finally a young waitress appeared, offering first of many apologies. Waitress stated she would send the manager over to our table….he/she never materialized. Had Chateaubriand-was delicious, served hot and cooked as we requested. The chef saved the night. Dessert ok, Irish Coffee served tepid. Big disappointment.
- We had a wonderful New Year's EveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013dinner! We have eaten there before as well and always find their food to be some of the best. New Year's Eve was extra special with the entertainment and champagne toast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate with a group of 12 andavn1sgDined on 12/30/2013Ate with a group of 12 and I did a poll of everyone after dinner. Every single person used words like outstanding and excellent. I had the strip steak and it may be the best I ever had,. Cook perfect and extremely tender. Others had the short ribs, scallops, sea bass and lamp. All raved. Over the past few years, this has become my favorite dinner location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for the whole familyBronxMomDined on 12/29/2013We went to this restaurant with our elementary school-aged daughter, and we all found food we enjoyed on the menu. Portions are big and tasty. The restaurant has that nice old-time feel, with fireplaces in each room. The one issue I had was the drink I ordered, which was full of alcohol and little else. I guess other people like their drinks that way, but I prefer them to taste good! The server brought me some more of the other juices that were in it so that I could dilute what I had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great dinner at theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2013Had a great dinner at the Stockton Inn. Was skeptical at first. We had been there in the past and was not impressed by the food. Reading recent reviews made us give it another shot. All the soups were amazing. We had the special fire roasted tomato which is spicy, but very tasty. The lobster crab bisque was delicious as was the mushroom oyster soup. Two of my companions went with the short ribs over polenta. They were both pleased. I had the Chilean sea bass which was flavorful and moist. The shepards pie was was very good. The salmon was good, but not amazing. Service was prompt but not hasty. Desserts were good as well. We had a great time and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Decent place. Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2013Very nice restaurant, great ambience. The service was very slow to take a drink order and fill a drink order. Appetizers came out fast but we had to ask twice for bread at the table. Food was excellent but server remained MIA for most of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When in New Hope/LambertvillehighriderDined on 12/28/2013and you want a relatively quiet place to decompress while dining, the Stockton Inn fits the bill. Authentic 300 year-old dining room with fireplaces, a great bar, and solid food and wine menu makes for a special occasion. You can also stay the night in a B&B-type setting.Special Features:
- Enjoyable LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 12/28/2013It was a very nice lunch on this Saturday afternoon. I was seated in front of the fireplace and really enjoyed my mushroom and oyster soup and shepherds pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At this time of year it isOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/18/2013At this time of year it is wonderful to get a table in front of a fire. Over the decades we have had a number of special dinners here and this was one more.Special Features:
- BeautifulSsfwDined on 12/18/2013Beautiful historic hotel. Nice variety of soup/salad/sandwich/entree for lunch. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasurebfarrellDined on 12/12/2013Impossible to sit in this place and not feel its history. Very cool. Get there early for one at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairy Tale Warmth On A Snowy Day!MTNesterVIPDined on 12/11/2013Couldn't be better. Toasty, comfortable and warm on a cold snowy day with old fashioned fare, better oyster stew than the Oyster Bar. If I lived there, I'd be a regular. Loved it. Lovely service, fast free wi-fi for working lunches, but could use a brighter light bulb in the men's room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had such a lovely experienceTrishDined on 12/8/2013We had such a lovely experience at The Stockton Inn. We sat near the fireplace and the Christmas decorations, inside and out, along with the piano playing in the background provided the perfect ambiance for the occasion. The service and food were excellent. We had not been there in many years but will definitely go back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LastMinuteReservationsLastMinuteReservationsDined on 12/7/2013We were at Peddlers Village for their Christmas feastival weekend. Saturday night, 6:00pm, and a party of 9 (4 kids ages 3-11). We were able to make a reservation through Open Table. Showed up at 6:30 for a 6:45 reservation and the seated us right away. Very nice atmosphere. Love the building itself. It was pretty busy and they only had one waiter for the entire back section I was in. Services was REALLY slow and twice we had to remind them of drinks or soups that were ordered but not brought out with the rest of the tables. Live music and atmosphere was fantastic. Food was very good. Crab Lobster Bisque was great as was the prime rib sandwich. I wouldn't say its "kid friendly" but it was bad either.Special Features:
- Stockton inn making a resurgenceRyeGuyDined on 12/1/2013We've lived in the area for 20 years. The Inn has had its up and recent downs. New management for the past year has helped: it's coming back. The menu is basic traditional American cuisine, but the food is well prepared. The ambiance is priceless and they are using the front dining rooms again - very cozy and with interesting murals and history. Dining rooms are small and intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Romantic Dining!PepeDined on 11/29/2013We absolutely love the warm, romantic dining ambiance at the Stockton Inn! It has become our favorite place to eat when we visit New Hope! We love the warmth of the dining rooms sitting close to a cozy fireplace, the food and the service is excellent and the piano music is soft & romantic and sets the perfect mood for a great dining experince especially on a cold night We will surely return every chance we get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.