195 Dekalb Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11205-4005Neighborhood:
South AfricanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.madibarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7188559190x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: South African
- Executive Chef: Mark Henegan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Madiba restaurant itself, our Catering & Event Production division
is both a gateway and a much missed opportunity for enjoyment
that is nothing short of ‘home’ - wherever that home may be.
We are a New York based full-service Catering & Event Company,
experts at making any size corporate or social function a highly
- Entertainment: From the South African All Stars to local Brooklyn Artists, the bill constantly changes!
- Special Events: Monthly Wine paired dinners form October to March.
A word from Madiba Restaurant
Since 1999, Madiba Restaurant has offered a unique South African experience, the first of it"s kind in the United States. The restaurant is more than the food- join us to witness love, enjoy libations, and the feeling of "Ubuntu"- "humanity" in the Xhosa language.Continued
Fashioned in the style of a "Shebeen," Madiba offers refuge and relief to neighbors and travelers, friends and strangers alike. Come and see for yourself.
Fashioned in the style of a "Shebeen," Madiba offers refuge and relief to neighbors and travelers, friends and strangers alike. Come and see for yourself.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Madiba Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Fort Greene ›
Madiba Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (32)hot spot (29)great for outdoor dining (26)great for brunch (17)great for lunch (17)vibrant bar scene (15)special occasion (14)late-night find (13)romantic (10)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- interestingujahioDined on 4/8/2014it was my first time eating Southern african cuisine and I cannot complain, I really loved it, though I was the only person from our table that was completely happy with her food. My sister ordered the Lorenzo Marques prawns and said they weren't as flavorful while my brother ordered the Steak and was just ok with it. We also ordered desserts, I'm not a quite fan of sweet stuff so I was sort of scared of trying the Mom's Tipsy Tart since it stated to have dates and nuts but it was quite good, just the right amount of sweet. The Bobotie was on point, I made my siblings try it and they both agreed it was quite good. I'd definitely go back to try more of their curry dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love MadibaACLTriniDined on 4/5/2014Always love their food and service! I was just disappointed that they ran out of my favorite dessert at Madiba--the flourless chocolate cake :(, which is absolutely DELISH! Tell your friends, family and colleagues about this place because you will keep coming back for more!Special Features:
- Great Food and Family FriendlyFortGreenerDined on 4/4/2014We love dining at Madiba with our friends in small and large (~8) groups. Recently we had dinner with the in-laws and our 1.5 year old. The wait staff and owner went out of their way to make us, and the other patrons, feel very special (and they had crayons and paper for my son to play with) . I honestly feel like its the kind of place where "everybody knows your name". And the food and drinks are always delicious. I recommend Madiba for all occasions - it just a fun place to be were the vibes are so good that you feel uplifted after every visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family get togetherMathewDined on 3/29/2014The restaurant was very crowded and my wife had to ask for the music to be turned down a little so we could hold a conversation. The service was excellent and the food was interesting and quite good, though some of the dishes were a little salty. We will definaty be back. Possibly for lunch next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodIrishChicksDined on 3/22/2014Recommend making a reservation which we did only a few hours in advance but our wait once we got there was pretty short (Saturday evening and the place was packed) . Great atmosphere and food. True to the South African theme. Tried the curry and ribs both excellent. Definitely worth a trip to BrooklnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who doesn't love Madiba?YumFamDined on 3/22/2014Genuinely- it seems like all different types of people were there, with good reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday DinnerNYCEATERDined on 3/22/2014Curry lamb and lobster dish were good. A little disorganized but good vibe. They definitely need a bigger place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeWookyDined on 3/21/2014My favorite restaurant -- such a friendly, warm, welcoming staff. Fulfills my craving for pap and a glass of good South African wine, the atmosphere is laid-back, funky, warm. Pls don't change anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful service!jjstarheartDined on 3/20/2014I've been to this restaurant many times now but this visit was even better than the previous ones. Our waitress was knowledgable, patient, and incredibly sweet. She made wonderful recommendations and seemed so sincere. As usual, the food was delicious, service was great, and I can't wait until the next time.Special Features:
- No Integrity to Open TablehowieDined on 3/15/2014We made a reservation on this site for 6 people at 9:15. We arrived on time, if not a bit early, and it was immediately apparent they had no clue of our open table reservation even existed. The place was beyond packed, with many people waiting for seating. Had a great vibe and smelled great, but the indifferent look from the host when I checked on our reservation said it all. This restaurant shouldn't be on this website because they clearly don't have any respect for its purpose. I should have listened to the warnings from other reviewers. Don't say you have an opening, and then tell the party who trekked out to your restaurant that it will be 1.5-2 hours to get seated. That's just poor management.
- March MadnessUnhappy29thbirthdayDined on 3/15/2014I normally don't do this, but my experience with Madiba bothered me beyond words. I booked a 7:15pm reservation on February 25th for a party of eight on March 15. When I called 20 minutes before my reservation just to confirm that everything would be in place, the person who picked up the phone was nice enough, but told me there was no reservation under my name. On spelling my last name for Phone Person, he asked if I was a Bryan so and so, which I am not. Got to the restaurant to let the host know that I'm here with a reservation, and he told me to wait "a few minutes". These few minutes turned into an hour and forty minute wait. He seemed to have forgotten about us, and when we did sit, my party of 7 was squeezed in a corner. Don't go...
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Every year, two of my friends and I celebrate one of our birthdays at Madiba's Restaurant. Each year the popularity of the restaurant increases and we make sure we arrive in a timely fashion to ensure our reservation. We live in Westchester County, the South Bronx, and in upper Manhattan. This year the food was extraordinary and the ambience uplifting and jovial. We have been eating at the restaurant for at least six years now, and we have never had a disappointing meal. We look forward to returning in the next few weeks.Special Features:
- Saturday BruncheaterDined on 3/8/2014Food was slow to come out, but great food, great ambiance, friendly waitstaff. Looking forward to coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed I made a 8pmpoohbearDined on 3/1/2014Disappointed I made a 8pm reservation for a party of eight got there early had to wait two hours before we got a table.the food was worth the wait service was good.for waiting that long we should have gotten a free meal or something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for a lovely SaturdaymhabweDined on 3/1/2014Thanks for a lovely Saturday lunch in a perfectly-decorated tribute to South Africa & our beloved Madiba. Love the drinks, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disorganized but the food is alwaysTastefulDinerVIPDined on 2/22/2014I love Madiba, and have been coming for many years. But even though I'm a VIP OpenTable member and booked through OpenTable, We got there early, and were first sat at the bar for dinner - once I said that wasn't going to work we got sat in the middle of everything at a table that was really made for 2 people, and we were 4 people. But the atmosphere was great as was the food, so we just didn't linger, which I had wanted to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent curriesJennCDined on 2/22/2014My partner and I go to this restaurant more often than we'd like to admit. Whenever it's time to eat out, we inevitably pick Madiba. The lamb curry is awesome, the Lorenzo Marquez prawns are delicious, and I've had lots of other great homey South African food here. It's one of the best spots in the neighborhood. It gets crowded, and loud, and service can be quirky but that adds to the charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceGemmyVIPDined on 2/16/2014The food was great but the service was excellent - enough to make me come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie spotOrdacityDined on 2/15/2014This is one of those neighborhood spots that you just have to try. Both times I have visited Madiba I have ordered their curry. The lamb curry is cooked to perfection and my favorite part are the chutneys. And who would have thought I would like rice with raisins (golden) in it? Also a great appetizer is the salmon cake. Perfectly crusty outside and tender inside with a delicious drizzle on the plate to swipe it across. I'm glad it's a short walk away from where I live because it makes it easier to visit over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a inchbigbellymanDined on 2/15/2014And it will take you miles wine list splendid Food was good home cooking with the gourmet touch That will keep me coming back with large groups to take them on a great journey. service was very good charming lady and the owner / host was very cool music was interesting Over all a repeat for the rest of my life.Special Features:
- Cool vibe, but bad serviceMuffinDined on 2/8/2014The atmosphere is fun, and the food is interesting, but the management needs to step it up. Even with a reservation, we were told there would be a "25" minute wait. An hour later, we were seated. Sorry guys, it's not worth that kind of wait. How about you need to RESERVE tables for people with a reservation!
- Hidden GemNewJersianDined on 2/8/2014Outstanding, authentic with a variety of complimenting flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We all had a great time andRereDined on 2/6/2014We all had a great time and we all enjoyed the food. We were a party of eight. The one thing that was not very good was this. There was a member of my party in a wheel chair and I had actually visited the restaurant prior to making the reservation to inquire about the accommodations for a person in a wheel chair. I was assured that the bathroom could accommodate her. This was not the case. She had to go outside to get to the bathroom and then, once in the ladies room she could not get herself turned around in order to sit on the toilet. Please take a look at this and make some adjustments , or inform the public, when they ask that you are not wheel chair accessible before the reservation is made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic placeBrooklynerDined on 2/2/2014We've been to Madiba at least 10 times since we moved into the neighborhood 6 months ago. The food is invariably good ans the owner always makes you feel welcome. I've brought all my friends and visiting family in for the experience. I recommend the oxtail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like your home!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/2/2014The brothers that own Madiba are the most friendly, down to earth, loving and energetic South African guys you will ever meet. When you meet them you immediately feel like you've known them for years! My South African girl felt like she was back home in Durban. The food was amazing and my South African date attest to that. It was authentic, very very tasty and cooked with love. The atmosphere was down to earth with no pretension, nor fuss, nor frills and time just flew by enjoying the food, the good company and the positive energy. I highly recommend going to this place if you love being yourself and having a good meal and good time with good friends. I am going back there every time I am back home in Brooklyn guaranteed. Malva pudding!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE this placeebonesDined on 1/10/2014Madiba is a great restaurant all around. The food is AMAZING, and the owner is a really nice guy who comes around and chats you up. Overall, great vibe, no attitude. Good place to come with your lovva or some friends. I have not 1 complaint.Special Features:
- MadibaSunaDined on 1/6/2014The atmosphere is great and the people who work there are very generous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencecarlorDined on 1/5/2014Nice food, nice people in an outstanding ambience. The only problem? I live in Europe, then it will not be easy to come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The new BrooklynPatickDined on 1/4/2014I used to live in Brooklyn so whenever I go back it's seems like nothing I remember of the Brooklyn of old. Madiba's is your typical Brooklyn hipster spot, but the combination of the food and South African vibe makes it worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not goodfoodexpertDined on 1/4/2014the service was poor. the food was ok, the drinks were over priced. especially being in fort green. i wasn't impressed I would have rather gone to McDonalds.
- New Year's Eve at MadibaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013I went here for dinner NYE. The wait was extremely long for our reserved table, but apparently the wait was long all over the town that night. When we finally got seated everything else was lovely. The food is amazing (but they ran out of the potatoes I wanted). I will definitely go back on a normal evening of dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MadibamnbnycVIPDined on 12/31/2013I really liked this place. Denis welcomed us very cordially and the restaurant is decorated with South African theme and of course items recalling the late Nelson Mandela with whom the restaurant shares a name. The menu is varied and interesting replicating food from the country, is well cooked and served. The wine list concentrates on South African wines which are under-appreciated. This was a good experience and the place was full of a very diverse clientele including families with children and a great cross-section of locals. A very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectgnatteringsDined on 12/22/2013The food was delicious and the attention to our large party of 8 was spot-on. Thank you, Madiba!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Madiba still great but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2013The food is delicious and it's fun to try all the unusual dishes. But the noise level--OK it was Saturday night, prime time--but we could hardly hear each other and we were only 4. Unfortunately, way too many New York restaurants have this big flaw..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTomKDined on 12/21/2013Unique cuisine, terfficly prepared and presented with a cool, welcoming vibe.Special Features:
- no table for usGrrrDined on 12/21/2013Even though we had a reservation we were seated in the worst seats in the house - right next to the kitchen. There was also a fan blowing on our table. We had to walk out without ordering - a shame because the food looked good.Special Features:
- Madiba restaurant does notMarissamiekeDined on 12/15/2013Madiba restaurant does not honor reservations. Not only did we confirm twice with them during the week, but we also confirmed on that same day. We made a reservation for 5:30 on Sunday (for the Mandela tribute) - but ended up leaving at around 7, when we realized that they still had not sorted out a table for us even though we kept asking for almost 2 hours. Madiba's took walk-ins over reservations and were too nice to tell the walk-ins to wrap it up as they had reservations waiting. Really just not the way to run a restaurant. I will not be returning. Braai in Manhattan is far superior to Madiba's. It seems cleaner, more organized and I've never experienced bad service there.
- Delightfully Delicious!!VeggieHeavenVIPDined on 12/10/2013My husband and I reserved dinner before going to a play and let our server, Simon know this. This was our first time here and the food was delightfully delicious! The food selection caters to both vegetarian and meat eaters. My husband loved the various vegetarian selections that were available. We enjoyed the ambiance - the high ceilings and funky decor. And many thanks to our server, Simon, who helped us finish with plenty of time to spare. We plan on coming back!Special Features:
- i love this placetdm1VIPDined on 12/8/2013a she been grows in brooklyn. totally unique. food is utterly delectable--and reasonable. the sud afrique house Rose rules. and the curries are astonishingly good--Special Features:
- Great nightLovethisplaceDined on 12/8/2013Mandiba was recommended to me by a friend who lives in the neighborhood. The second we walked in we felt like regulars, smiles were easy to come by as were the hugs by the end of the night. Any questions about the menu were answered with clarity and enthusiasm. The food was AMAZING! Some will say that the service was slow. In my opinion it was so nice to sit at a restaurant and not feel like you are being pushed out for the next group. We took our time, ordered more and more and were made to feel like we could have stayed all night if we wanted to. I will return to this restaurant again and again!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.