Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
800 N. Glebe Road
Arlington, VA 22203Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.musselbar.com/
- Phone: 7038412337x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch - Monday - Friday 11:30am - 4:00pm
Brunch - Saturday - Sunday 10:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner - Monday - Sunday 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar - Monday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:00am ( food service till 12:00am)
The Happiest Hour - Monday - Sunday 3:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Belgian, American
- Executive Chef: Erik Foxx-Nettnin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: NEW! Now Mussel Bar & Grille Arlington is offering gift cards which can be redeemed at any of RW Restaurant Group location. If you have any questions please contact us at 703 841 beer.
- Special Events: MUSSEL BAR AND GRILL offers dining capacity for up to 30 guests. Whether it is dining with a group of friends or celebrating an occasion, our menu is prepared and served as sharing style for your party to enjoy. Large parties are welcome for, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner and Happy Hour. Advanced reservations are required. For more information, please contact, Hanna Namysl at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 703 841 BEER.
A word from Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
Chef Robert Wiedmaier's third Mussel Bar & Grille location, and first in Virginia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (65)great for outdoor dining (50)vibrant bar scene (46)good for groups (43)hot spot (37)great for lunch (24)great for brunch (22)special occasion (17)notable wine list (17)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (12)romantic (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- A good Find!yo3731Dined on 10/21/2013We were delighted to find this gem. We both ordered mussels. The presentation, quality, preparation and service were all outstanding. The service was about the best I have experienced anywhere in Arlington. The space and visual appeal are stunning. Although we were there on a weeknight when it was less crowded, it is evident from the noise levl and the acoustics that when it is packed it will be extremely noisy. That notwithstanding the quality of the food and service can't be beat and we definitely will be regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than exepcted but still goodSeamusDined on 10/20/2013Expected a little better in terms of privacy for seating but they quickly adjusted. Food good but not great but big portions and great variety - maybe with a little more time will exceed expectations - well worth another visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't live up to the nameDannyDined on 10/19/2013I expected a place called Mussel Bar to have phenomenal mussels...that just wasn't the case here. They were decent, but I prefer the mussels at numerous other restaurants in Arlington, where they taste better and are cheaper. Great beer list, but if that is all I am looking for I would probably venture right across the street. Probably will not be going back here.
- greatRB13Dined on 10/19/2013This is a great restaurant. My only observation is that it is loud. It did not bother my friends and I, but if you wanted some place more intimate, this is probably not the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience-only one drawbackJWAWHWDCVIPDined on 10/16/2013Our family recently ate at the Mussel Bar. Our food was fabulous...and we are all eager to go back and sample more options. Only downside came with my drink. I drink Cosmos....which are served straight up. I asked the waitress if, after straining my drink, the bartender could put the rocks into a separate glass. I like to add a little ice but don't want to water down the drink. The drinks arrived. My Cosmo was delicious. But a weird thing happened when the bill came...they had actually charged me $1.50 for the rocks! Wow! I have never heard of that in the United States. Sometimes in Europe, but never here. When questioned, the manager confirmed the charged. I really found this outrageous. We will go back...but stick to beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been to Mussel Bar ArlingtonCuttingboardDined on 10/13/2013I've been to Mussel Bar Arlington several times since they opened and while they're still working out the kinks, the food and beer is very good. Like all new restaurants, kinks have to be worked out and I look forward to many more visits to Mussel Bar this winter for the cajun prawn stew and the spacious patio in the spring/summer. Ballston needed a more upscale casual restaurant and Mussel Bar is a great addition.Special Features:
- Shelled out $ but worth itGWR1VIPDined on 10/12/2013Often we leave a restaurant commenting that while good, the price value was not sufficient. There are a few Arlington restaurants that are pricey, but the value proposition isn't there. But Mussel Bar & Grille did not disappoint even though we "shelled out" quite a few dollars to entertain a friend. The mussels and clams were terrific and a great meal for one in themselves. The Saturday daily special was fantastic. The wine list, while not overly abundant, had some very good value options. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Vibrant Find in BallstonSPicottDined on 10/12/2013If you haven't tried Mussel Bar yet then what are you waiting on. This favorite used to be in Bethesda only but now we have a location in the Arlington Area and my friends and I took advantage of the chance to dine here on Saturday night. As always the ambiance was outstanding and the food simply spectacular. If you are a fan of mussels and frites this is the place for you and their selection of aioli sauces are delicious. Would definitely dine here again and would definitely suggest that you be prepared as it is quiet noisy but nothing that you couldn't overcome by leaning in a bit for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood SpotfoodiehooDined on 10/12/2013If you want great mussels and succulent fish, go to the Mussel Bar and Grille. There are other options for those who want a burger or steak, but the fish is really good. If you want a quiet spot for conversation, don't go here. It is VERY loud, ("energetic"). The service was spot on; prompt, but not pushy. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Good, but room for improvementawoogaVIPDined on 10/11/2013Super excited when this mussel bar opened up as we are big fans of Robert Wiedmaier's Brasserie Beck in DC. Atmosphere was nice, relaxed, somewhat loud, but fun. However, the food was not quite up to the standards of Brasserie beck. Had the provencal mussels, which were a bit too salty, probably from the capers, and the fries were slightly underdone. Crab dip was delicious, but the mac and cheese probably needed a little more salt. Beer selection was great, similar but more limited than Brasserie Beck, would love to see some more Lambics on the menu. Overall, the food was still tasty, and I would return, but it would be great if they improved their standards more towards that of Brasserie Beck moving forward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as alwaysArlington412VIPDined on 10/11/2013Food was great, service was great - very we'll doneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food/too noisyLive2eatVIPDined on 10/10/2013I love the mussels and tomato & mozzarella salad, but it was too noisy to have a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too shabbyJoannBDined on 10/6/2013We had: oysters on the 1/2 shell, chicken caesar, chilled shrimp, kennet square mussels and fries. The oysters were run of the mill fresh oysters, nothing extraordinary. Their cocktail sauce is in dire need of more horseradish. The chicken that came with the salad was a little bland and needed salt. The shrimp were great and came with tasty dipping sauces. The mussels were good, fresh and tender, but nothing that knocked our socks off - will have to try the other mussel dishes to see what's the best sauce. The mushrooms in the sauce were really good, but I didn't really taste the thyme or chives in the cream sauce. The bacon addition gave it a slight smoked flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere is very calmingPCJ1Dined on 10/5/2013The atmosphere is very calming and clean. The server was not attentive. The food took far too long considering we arrived around 4pm and business was very slow. My friend loved his food- lobster mac n cheese bakeSpecial Features:
- The last place I had musslesschruff14VIPDined on 10/4/2013The last place I had mussles that I considered phenominal were at the Blue Talon in Williamsburg that is run by Chef David Everett, former chef a the 5 star Resteruant at Ford's Colony, so you know he is a good cook. The mussels I had at Mussel Bar were 10x better. We had the Thai Curry and Mediterranian mussles both of which were an explosion of flavor that cannot be put into words. They also have oysters of which we had a dozen, also fantastic and very fresh. Their beer menu is extensive and fitting of a Belgian mussel bar. Mussel Bar is now my new favorite place to go in Arlington as it is a delicious meal that should cost well over $100 at half the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise Drowns Out FoodJM4845VIPDined on 10/3/2013The space has no sound proofing indeed just the opposite. It is so bare that the noise level far exceeded the "energetic" level on this survey which suggests such high noise is a positive either while dining or longer term. Literally could not hear my wife sitting directly across from me except barely so if I cupped my ear. Likewise I had to shout for her to hear me. It is a shame because the mussels were excellent.
- Terrific food and noiseMillsVIPDined on 10/2/2013The menu is fantastic, and everything was great, including the oysters, of which we had a sampler. The bar service was slow, but the waitress very helpful. They made the most of the previous space and it is an appealing restaurant. I asked for a quiet table so when we arrived at 6:45 we were put far away from the bar, which is VERY noisy at Happy Hour. That quieted down, but diners started arriving and the noise level again picked up. Definitely a young crowd, but as we four are "foodies" the quality of the food outweighed the noise level, although we were the oldest people there. All in all, a great addition to the Ballston scene. Hard to find the parking, and the door to get in is not on Glebe Road.Special Features:
- Fun new placeRuckyDined on 9/27/2013I had the Thai curry mussels which were great! Food took almost an hour to come but overall service was good! Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly loudFoodRoamerVIPDined on 9/27/2013The food, service, and drinks -- especially the beers -- list are very good, just like the Bethesda location. But, wow, is it loud!!! The Bethesda location doesn't require companions to shout to hear other. At Arlington, though, "energetic" understates the noise level. We feel for the poor staff who are probably working in an unhealthy environment. After our meal, I walked around the restaurant to try and discern any quieter spots but found none noticeably quieter. The bar area might be a little quieter, but you still have to shout to be heard. This is very good food, and I recommend you try it. But when we go back, we hope we'll be able to sit outside. Otherwise, we might have to bring ear plugs. Seriously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White wine broth for the musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/22/2013White wine broth for the mussels was delicious and just right consistency. The lobster roll contained a very generous amount of lobster.Special Features:
- great night!dwdwDined on 9/21/2013This was our first visit here...everything was just great...swordfish and salmon, great beer variety, great waiter...will definately be back again and again...Special Features:
- Great Food / Very LoudArlington412VIPDined on 9/21/2013The food and service were fantastic! (Tip: You can order half orders of the mussels, which are huge portions!) The noise level inside made it difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels, Great Beer ListOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2013Not far from Metro and Ballston Common Mall, a new awesome gem of a seafood bar and grill. M&S used to be my favorite fresh seafood place away from the waterfront, but I have a new fave now. That plus it has an extensive beer list that rivals some of the best pubs in town. I've already recommended it to my co-workers and plan to do so to anyone dining in Arlington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm sorry, what did you say?AndThenTheresThatDined on 9/19/2013The food was good, but the noise level was obscene. The environmental design did the place no favors. The high, open ceilings, the lack of discrete spaces all work together to yield nothing short of a cacophony. I could already hardly here the folks with whom we were dining from across the table, and that was before they turned the music on. Then it was near-impossible. The food was really good (especially the side of mac and cheese ordered as appetizer), but all I really remember is it being an unpleasant place to have dinner with anyone you actually want to have a conversation with.Special Features:
- Great local find!MrsGovVIPDined on 9/19/2013I visit Arlington often. I used to go to Clarendon to get a really great meal. Finding the Mussel Bar has been quite a coup. I ate there three times last week alone. The reason I ate there so many times was because of the variety of food and smaller plates that a single diner can enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceShellyVIPDined on 9/18/2013This place is amazing. Great food moderately priced and outstanding servic. TThanks only complaintwould be that the noise level was aa bit high. I wasn't sure if it was because of the large group next to us or the musicbeing on full bblastto ccover up the largeggroup. But we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-timerEleanorMDined on 9/18/2013After a lunch w/colleagues, I'll be back, and the rest of the group agreed. We didn't try signature dish, the mussels, but will very soon. Not a tavern, so don't expect inexpensive, but we felt a value. Haven't tried cocktail hour yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mussels!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/17/2013Great ambiance, great mussels, great service. The main dishes were a little bit on the heavy and salty side. Wine list is definitely limited but still a great addition to north Arlington!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Surprise!MrsGovVIPDined on 9/17/2013I work in the same building as the Mussel Bar. I did not expect such a high quality restaurant in such an unexpected location! This is an incredible restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 of best restaurants in Arlington!BrandonVIPDined on 9/16/2013I went to this place for the first time for my sixth month anniversary with my girlfriend. It looks great from the outside, and I passed it a lot since I live in Ballston, so I wanted to try it. It was awesome! Our server, John, and the manager were so great. She had the swordfish, and I had the Mediterranean mussels. I'm not exaggerating at all, they were the best mussels I have ever had. The whole experience was great, and I highly recommend it. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2013It's great to finally have a quality seafood restaurant in Ballston. We will return, but may avoid prime time since its loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2013Not sure if the service was fair due to it being a new restaurant but it shouldn't be just fair at the prices they're charging. I was actually shocked at the final price especially after the not very good food and drink. How does a vodka martini NOT taste like vodka? Or any of their vodka drinks for that matter. Honestly it seems as if they watered down their top shelf booze. I would have said they were just weak drinks if it hadn't been for the martini. I mean that can't have a mixer over powering it right? The food was ok. The frites weren't very good for it being a French inspired restaurant. The mayo sauces weren't either. The only good thing was the apps. I'm pretty disappointed in this and won't be back even though its convenient.Special Features:
- Delicious, great serviceJamesVIPDined on 9/12/2013This was the most delicious salmon salad I've ever had. I've told 3 people so much already. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2013This was my first time. Food, service, venue...all good. I had a business lunch. I'll go back again and bring my wife. This time for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mussels EverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2013Both the Mediterranean and the Green Curry mussels were out of control. Great spot! Place is very modern and decorated beautifully. I will be back many, many, many more times.Special Features:
- What? I Can't Hear You!ArlingtonJayVIPDined on 9/7/2013Holy cow, was this place loud. My wife and I kept saying "what?" to each other, during our meal. It's definitely not a first date place, unless you want to shout while trying to get to know your date. The staff people were all very nice, but unfortunately that didn't offset the shortcomings on the food. The apps were good (can't screw up raw oysters, can you?), and it was all downhill from there. We had mussels Mediterranean, and a shrimp & andouille sausage stew. Both came up very short on taste. Something was missing in the seasoning to make them memorable. Lyon Hall & Rustico both have much better mussels, which is a sad commentary for a place called Mussel Bar. One and done, cross it off the list; we're on to the next place.
- Fills a spot in BallstonBobDianeDined on 9/6/2013Tried Mussel Bar for the first time. Arrived a few minutes early, but the staff did not have their act together and we waited as other twosomes were seated. Once seated outside, our server had a good sense of what he was doing, but it was apparent throughout the evening that he was stretched too thin, as large spans of time went by without seeing him. On the food front, salad and gazpacho were very good. I had the short ribs with paparadelle and root veggies. Very tasty, but overly salted. My wife had mussels, and was not disappointed. The wine list is far from extensive, but won't slam your budget. They got this right. We will return many times as long as the food quality stays consistent and they address their service issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good launch, but work to be doneMNvisitorVIPDined on 9/5/2013Service was excellent, food interesting but not great. I'll come back in a year and see how things have shaken out. Very noisy and busy on a Thursday night. Too much do for my memory-impaired father and my boomer-age ears.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressiveslejdVIPDined on 9/4/2013Service was impeccable and down-to-earth. Food was excellent. Love the open kitchen design.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2013It's a little pricey but worth every penny. Best meal in a long timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.