Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
800 N. Glebe Road
Arlington, VA 22203Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.musselbar.com/
- Phone: 7038412337x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch - Monday - Friday 11:30am - 4:00pm
Brunch - Saturday - Sunday 10:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner - Monday - Sunday 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar - Monday - Sunday 11:30am - 2:00am ( food service till 12:00am)
The Happiest Hour - Monday - Sunday 3:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Belgian, American
- Executive Chef: Erik Foxx-Nettnin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: NEW! Now Mussel Bar & Grille Arlington is offering gift cards which can be redeemed at any of RW Restaurant Group location. If you have any questions please contact us at 703 841 beer.
- Special Events: MUSSEL BAR AND GRILL offers dining capacity for up to 30 guests. Whether it is dining with a group of friends or celebrating an occasion, our menu is prepared and served as sharing style for your party to enjoy. Large parties are welcome for, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner and Happy Hour. Advanced reservations are required. For more information, please contact, Hanna Namysl at email@example.com or +1 703 841 BEER.
A word from Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington
Chef Robert Wiedmaier's third Mussel Bar & Grille location, and first in Virginia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Mussel Bar & Grille - Arlington reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (72)great for outdoor dining (58)vibrant bar scene (53)good for groups (51)hot spot (38)great for lunch (29)special occasion (24)great for brunch (23)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (13)romantic (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- Best Brunch I've had in a whileHayMazzDined on 4/27/2014Great outdoor seating. Great range of breakfast, lunch & drink options. Bread basket w/whipped butter to start. I got the Rosemary Fizz (delicious!). More options than the typical Mimosa and Blood Mary (Bloody Mary Lovers-Bloody mary Bar). Ordered a 3 egg omelette that came w/ gruyere cheese,spinach & a side of greens & fries. Omelette was more than enough & the greens were tasty (lightly dressed). The fries were shoe string & very good. I asked for honey mustard, which they didn't have, but they made me a custom sauce! My one complaint would be that the server kept taking away our dishes as each one of us finished, so those who were still eating felt rushed. I think they should leave the entire table alone until everyone is done eating.Special Features:
- Mussel Bar + Grille Classes Up ArlluvtoeatDined on 4/26/2014Every dish at the Mussel Bar and Grill at N Glebe and Wilson is superb. As soon as you arrive, they give you slices of warm baguette made right in the restaurant, the best I've had in Virginia or DC. Our favorite mussels are the Kennett Square, a cream sauce with mushrooms and ham. Even our kids love it! Another classic European dish they offer is "steak frites," or steak with french fries. The trout with green beans is delicate + flakey. The burger is thick, juicey. Salads are crisp and fresh; the spicy cheese and crab dip delicious. Best dessert is the warm cookie that comes in its own mini cast iron skillet. The beer list is extensive and the wine list pretty robust as well. Mussel Bar raises the bar for restaurants in Arlington!Special Features:
- Good Mussels and BeerPlainJaneVIPDined on 4/25/2014I very much enjoyed the mussels, beer, and general experience. My mussels with cream were a little bland, but my friend's mussels provencales were outstanding! The bread is exceptional, and I always appreciate a restaurant serving butter at the right temperature. I look forward to going back!Special Features:
- Good but pricey......lovetolunchbunchDined on 4/24/2014I enjoyed the time spent at the Mussel Bar. The food was good (not outstanding) and service was very attentive. However, the prices are a bit high for what you receive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelicieuxMagTTVIPDined on 4/22/2014I have become a fan of Robert Wiedemaier's restaurants and Musselbar was no exception. I did not have my usual mussels opting instead for the cod as my entree. It did not disappoint. In fact, from the starters of grilled calamari to the chopped salad to the finishing touch of French pressed coffee, I did not have a complaint. Our server was pleasant, informed and attentive, bringing me soda water when food splashed on my jacket. I'll be back!Special Features:
- cheesecake factory of Mussel BarshoneymoonguyVIPDined on 4/16/2014I knew going into it that anything in Ballston wasn't going to be good and would be overpriced for what you get. Well Mussel bar lived up to my expectations. Chef is trying way to hard here to make this a hipster hangout but that appeals to the Arlington millennial. So when you walk in you get the vibe it could be good especially after seeing the beer menu and the cocktail list. But after that it all falls flat and the food is mediocre for the price point you are paying. You can pay the same price( or in some cases even less) in places such ad Red Hen, Roses Luxury, Granville Moores, Proof, etc in DC and get food that will blow you away and True Hipster Ambiance of 14th st, shaw, or H-street.
- Will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/16/2014Great mussels and look like it could be a fun place esp in the good weather with their outdoor patio. Waitress were barely interested in u - never checked on refills for drinks, and no conversational skills - she is in the wrong profession - lackluster service. Noisy too. But the food was good, great selctions and specials and fun being close to the open kitchen and watching the chef garnish the plates. Will try again.Special Features:
- best spot in ArlingtonstapelzVIPDined on 4/15/2014dare i say it but this place was so great the first time around that we came back two weeks later because it was that great. Chef is top notch, even stopped by the table. Tuna Tartar and their app specials are always something to try out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb brunch with gourmet flair!DmbrownVIPDined on 4/13/2014Mussel Bar offers an excellent brunch! In addition to the regular lunch menu are a selection of superb breakfast items. We tried the steak and eggs, lemon soufflé pancake and 3 egg breakfast - all of which were delicious. Portions are just right (not over-the-top diner size) and prepared perfectly. All included either fruit or greens. Breakfast with gourmet flair - Mussel Bar does brunch right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Non-mussel dishes were very good...ArlingtonVIPDined on 4/12/2014Didn't try the mussels but the shrimp and grits were very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- should give open table pointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/10/2014should give open table points for lunch...too many other options that doI would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful New Place To DineELEODined on 4/8/2014Took an out of town co-worked and some family members out for a nice weekday dinner. This was my first time, and the experience was wonderful - from the host, to the bartender, to the server and of course the food. We ordered the mussels and frites and a couple of the steak dinners, and everything was delicious. The service was very friendly, attentive and prompt! How simple is that, right?! Since I live in the area, I hope this will continue to be a regular dining choice for me in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great musselsGigglesDined on 4/5/2014The mussels and frittes were awesome. If you like spicy, go for the Thai cilantro and green curry mussels, delicious! Servers were attentive and friendly. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014food was awesome. Mussels, warm bread, sweet potato fries. Service was a little overbearing for me - checking on me all the time while my mouth is full....but maybe this is just my culture - not used to that. Pricey but not obscene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved everything from beginningWisewomenDined on 4/5/2014We loved everything from beginning (Blue Crab dip) to middle (mussels) to end (and you really MUST end with the chocolate mousse ... it was fabulous).Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable DinnerNussbobVIPDined on 4/5/2014Very happy that they opened a Mussel Bar in Arlington. The location is nice, and the food was great. Will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great musclesdisappointedDined on 3/30/2014Love the decor, menu, food and the parking availability. The portions of food was perfect. The service was great too. Only diwn part of the dining experience was a rude guy at the bar who kept clapping while watching the basketball game. I guess rude behavior is to be expected when you have sports playing on many tvs. Overall, a great place for food in my neighborhood!Special Features:
- Their brunch food was actuallybeta1985Dined on 3/30/2014Their brunch food was actually pretty good. The service however could improve. Our waitress took a very long time to take our order and rarely checked on us to see if we needed anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels but so much moreOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2014We went for the mussels, which didn't disappoint! But we'll go back to try all the other fabulous looking food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good beer listOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014Good food, good beer list although rather expensive in spots. However, we went on a Saturday night and it was very, very loud. Almost uncomfortably o, but it is a great place for friends who want to eat and drink pretty well and yell at each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They need a sign!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/24/2014We had a light dinner before a sporting event at W & L HS during Happy Hour. It was good for that. Had mussels and the Brisket Burger. Both were good. Beer selection is outstanding. They need a sign out front. It was almost impossible to know they were there. I had to call to find them when I was standing on an opposite corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May have been an off night ....CGArlDined on 3/23/2014We were not impressed. It was not terrible, just not inspiring in any way. Which is a shame because we usually love mussels. The food was just ok and the server was clearly either a complete novice or not a trained server but filling in for one. She tried hard, but there were several instances of mis-communication due to her imperfect command of english, service took a long time and dishes arrived haphazardly when they did. One caveat is the very impressive beer selection which would definitely take numerous trips to explore sufficiently, so maybe we will return for a second try, if just to delve into that.
- Soon-to-be Neighborhood SolidSammieVIPDined on 3/23/2014While the service needs to uptick to meet their prices, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and overwhelmed by the awesome feel of the establishment. Kudos to the folks that did their decor. It's not easy to make Ballston feel hip! I had the shrimp and grits, with some hesitation, having had the dish in the deep south. It was a win! The flavors were great and both the shrimp and grits were cooked perfectly. We had the mussels with the white wine - a creamy take on flavors that I embrace at home. Also very nice. Get the fries for a $1 extra and sop up the goodness.Special Features:
- Great dinner but chilly!JGualDined on 3/22/2014Lovely dinner however, our group of 6 was seated near A/C vent blowing towards us. 2 of our group were already"under the weather" & we were all cold - we asked to be moved to the table for 6 that was beside us. 1st request, staff said they would turn down the A/C blower. However this did not help - cold air continued to blow. After we asked to be moved a 2nd time, we were moved to the other table - much more comfortable (not directly below the A/C vent). Delicious meal & server was very attentive. We did have trouble understanding her (strong accent) but she repeated things when asked & tried hard to help us understand her. This is my 4th visit to MB & will continue to dine there. We always enjoy it here & enjoy delicious meals every visit.Special Features:
- Good, but loudMaryLVIPDined on 3/20/2014Full disclosure: location was a key factor in choosing Mussel Bar, as it was across the street from our hotel and time was precious. That said, I was not pleased when our table wasn't ready for an 8:45pm reservation, although the restaurant really can't predict how long patrons will take to dine. Once we were seated (20 minutes late), the service was attentive and responsive, and the food was good. Bread was great. Mussels were prepared simply but well, and the aioli sauces were inventive. Steaks got rave reviews. However, the noise level really took away from the experience. The rough-hewn industrial vibe is visually arresting, but very, very loud. Prepare for a 'wall of sound' experience if you venture here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great musselsDktran31VIPDined on 3/19/2014Mussel bar - this location is fairly new. Went here for dinner on a weekday with my girlfriend. It was pretty busy. Noise level was high as many patrons recently got off work and happy hour was in effect. The service was very good as our waiter was attentive and polite. We had 2 orders of mussels, both were excellent. We also had the lamb meatball, grilled cod and key lime cheesecake. All were delicious. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Beer mazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/19/2014I original came for the muscles but got caught up onthe amazing beer list. It brought me back to the time I spent a broad in Belgium and was pleasantly surprised when I seen some familiar names. However the pleasantries went beyond the beer the food was amazing my friend couldn't stop raving about the brisket burger. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningLoveArlingtonDined on 3/15/2014We had a party of five and all of us enjoyed the food and the service was good. The only negative would be the overall noise level which makes it very hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Fast Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/13/2014this was my second time at Mussel Bar, and the food was just as great as I remember from my first experience! Two colleagues and I went a little early on a Thursday to beat the lunch rush. Since neither had been before, they opted for what I had on my first time there (Lamb Meatball Sandwich, which is amazing) while I opted for the steak sandwich special (incredibly tender meat, fresh bread, wonderfully caramelized onions). Food came out quickly, hot, and fresh. The service was also top notch. Friendly, quick, offering insights into the menu, and sharing laughs with our table. Since my office is so close, I will likely be returning a little more often. My colleagues and I also want to try their extensive beer list for happy hour!Special Features:
- Delicious, fun, but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/12/2014My friends and I had a great time here and the food was delicious and perfectly prepared, but the noise level was pretty crazy loud. We managed to talk but kind of felt like we were shouting the whole time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs to handle a few thingsSpaGirl54VIPDined on 3/2/2014This restaurant had some good write ups so I thought I'd try it. I was disappointed in the salads, not much there and over priced. Grilled calamari was very good but not very hot. Cappuccinos were very good.Special Features:
- Fun & delicious!MariaDined on 3/1/2014There were six of us for dinner. The service was great, the cocktails were creative and spectacular, and food was delicious! We had a great time and will definitely be back. I can't wait to try the outdoor patio when it gets warmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Preferred Mussel Bar in ACKateDDined on 3/1/2014excited to try MB in Arlington after REALLY enjoying MB/AC a few weeks ago. Had reservation for 3 at 8:45 on a Sat.night...wasn't seated until after 9. Table comfy but located in bar area- so loud, I literally could not hear the person sitting next to me much less the person sitting across from me. Resulted in a mostly non-speaking meal. I appreciate a 'vibrant' scene, but it was completely ridiculous. The industrial interior (boring) of high ceilings w/o any insulation results in little to no noise deafening capabilities. As for food, the oysters were good but really over-priced. The mussels were tasty, but a different presentation than expected even though they had the same name as AC post. Burgers were better than most.Special Features:
- Just ok, and a bit dissapointingalexfoodieVIPDined on 3/1/2014Just ok, and a bit dissapointing bc I really like Robert Wiedemeier's other restaurant, Brabo, that I have been to several times. The bread at the beginning of the meal was the best part. Tuna appetizer was decent, Calamari was ok but was sitting in a lot of sauce. The mussels, which is what I would have imagined they did best, was really not that great. Now, to be fair, I ordered the white wine mussels, which the waiter said was the most plain, but even for these, I would think they would have been at least flavorful (read: salted). While we had a booth in the corner, it was really loud in the restaurant - which would be great for groups and kids, not so much for date night.Special Features:
- Excellent food and good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/28/2014Excellent food and good service. It's a great addition to Ballston. However, it's just too loud. It was hard to hear over a regular sized table and conversation was a real effort, which is unfortunate at a restaurant where we would otherwise be frequent diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be returning...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/22/2014Spicy Thai Green Curry Mussels outstanding. "Make your own Bloody Mary" bar is very good idea and concept (during Brunch).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mussels, not for low talkersterpshootersVIPDined on 2/21/2014I have been to the restaurant 3 times and have yet to try a bad mussel (Thai green curry, Provencal, and white wine). They are well cooked and have different flavors for all types of palates. Make sure you order what is right for you however. The complaints I've heard from friends revolve around the smokiness of the Mediterranean, but not the mussel itself (perfectly cooked and plump). Another rarity is the portion. Around these here parts (DC and VA), often an order can fit on a salad plate. Not at Mussel Bar. The servings are more like you would find in a Baltimore pub. That's a big pet peeve of mine- mussels cost a restaurant $3 for a large serving. Pass that on to the customer who is paying $15-$25. And, yes, the restaurant is LOUD.I would recommend this to a friend.
- way too loud, poor bar serviceGriffVIPDined on 2/19/2014Was in on a Wednesday night. Place was so loud you could not hear the waitress, and she couldn't hear order. Maybe that's why the drinks showed up at the end of our meal. Doesn't help we were crammed like cattle in the main seating area.Special Features:
- The Mussels were GREATfanofbrunchDined on 2/16/2014I often make mussels and usually won't order something that I make myself. I a so glad that I decided to order the mussels. I had the mushroom bacon mussels and they were delicious. Our friend had the white wine mussels and they were superb. Cannot understand the comments about the excellence of the food or the service. Our waiter was charming and the service was very good. Can't wait to go back and try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food were great!stephDined on 2/15/2014Service and food were great! If you like mussels you must try this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.