1688 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.templebarcambridge.com/
- Phone: 6175475055
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday/Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11.00pm
Late Night: Sunday - Saturday until 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Boschetti
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room accommodates semi-private parties and functions ranging from 10 - 150 people, available for receptions, recruitment events, rehearsal dinners, business meetings or family dinners. Please refer to our website for more menu details.
- Private Party Contact: Claire Mooney 6175475055
- Entertainment: Overhead music that complements dinner and the after dinner lounge environment
A word from Temple Bar
Temple Bar is a neighborhood bistro with a focus on creative cuisine along with professional and friendly service. Temple Bar offers a warm and welcoming charm. Accented by exposed brick, oversized mirrors, lights and booths and an oak enamored paneling, guests enjoy the buzz and excitement of Temple BarContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Temple Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (22)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (15)special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (15)romantic (14)good for groups (13)late-night find (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)Show More
- Iraq to CambridgeDocPDined on 9/25/2013The food was incredible and the atmosphere was great! However we felt the service was not so great. May have been our server but we had to ask someone else for drinks.Special Features:
- We got lucky- quiet on a friday!scottyVIPDined on 9/13/2013My fiance works all over Boston and I waitress- so we came late-ish and STARVING. I wish I caught our servers name, because out of everyone who has taken care of us in the past, he was probably the best. He was delightful and responsive to our witty nature. We kept it simple tonight- the mussels (MY ABSOLUTE TEMPLE BAR FAVE), caesar salad, and we both got the NY strip steak. We warned him that we are picky about our meat- medium rare is a must or we will throw it back at the kitchen- and we were grateful when it came ACTUALLY med-rare. Good job! My only feedback is the meat was chewy and fatty. Good flavors - porcini butter and mushrooms, delish. We had an emergency & couldn't finish the dessert we ordered, but made sure to tip him extra :)Special Features:
- Worth crossing the riverAnonymousVIPDined on 9/2/2013My boyfriend and I live in Back Bay, but find the trek to Cambridge with it. I've been going to this bar since the opened years ago, and it only gets better. The food is good and priced fairly. The bartenders are skilled, and attentive. I have food allergies, and they've never messed up in that regard. Food is always cooked as ordered. This time, we had the salmon tartare which was as good as I've had, with large chunks of fish and cucumber with an avocado purée. The Caesar salad was lemony and delicious as always. Burgers came exactly as ordered, and they let us sub of veggies for fries. The only complaint I have is the wine list. I'd like to see a better selection and would be willing to pay a few bucks more for a really good glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keep coming back for good servicelschultz83VIPDined on 9/1/2013Had a low-key dinner here this weekend, ordered the fish of the day and steak frites. My date's steak was overcooked but we were too hungry to send it back. Their fries are amazing. My fish was cooked and seasoned to perfection, and the sundried tomato rissotto is always stellar. We had a great waiter this time, and really enjoyed our quick meal. table bread was tasty and all in all we enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:
- The worst of worstwantotryDined on 8/27/2013If they don't want to participate the restaurant week then don't, but don't use this to rake in the money. The menu looks exciting but the foods were all so terrible. We have 3 people in our group so tried all of selections, just bunch of material put together, not a single dish is even taste-able. The worst restaurant week participants we have ever had (out of at least 20 in many cities).
- Excellent service, food, and wineseafoodieDined on 8/20/2013Had a lovely meal with friends outside on the sidewalk. Our waiter was patient and attentive. The seafood entrees we ordered were delicious and the Temple Bar has an excellent selection of wines -- including sparkling wines -- by the glass!Special Features:
- Good beer - food okbdp1Dined on 8/20/2013The draft beer list is great. The atmosphere very nice. We had a seat next to the open windows - very beautiful. I ordered a Ceasar salad without Ceasar salad dressing. It had very little resemblance to a Ceasar salad. Mostly all romaine lettuce with a few croutons and parmesan shavings. Basically, I go to Temple Bar for the drinks, not the food. My friend, on the other hand, was happy with her gaspacho which unfortunately for me was not vegetarian.Special Features:
- I love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/18/2013I love this place. The halibut is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocrityOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/18/2013This restaurant says all the right things, but falls down on execution. Food took forever despite the fact that the place was relatively empty. The food itself was ok... but nothing more. Beyond that, the wait staff seemed very uninterested in what was going on. They spent far more time standing around talking near the kitchen than they did serving. And, when they did decide to come and interact with the patrons, they were obviously going through the motions... SLOWLY. Temple Bar could be such a fantastic brunch spot, but indifferent staff and mediocre food (despite excellent ingredients) have pretty much guaranteed I'll never go back.
- Fabulous!lassiferDined on 8/17/2013The server gave us enough space to converse and didn't let our glasses go empty either - he held our dinner order so we could relax and unwind, much appreciated! Beyond fabulous service, the food was exceptional! Nice beer list too...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical neighborhood jointOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2013Temple Bar was recommended to me for over a year, and I assumed it would be an average neighborhood hangout, a casual place to catch up with friends that was more about the drinks than the food. Was I wrong! Not only did I have two wonderful cocktails (the latter, a "Freddie Quell" with peanut and Thai chilli oils, ranks in my top five cocktails), but my friend and I also wanted to order everything on the menu. Much more than a typical bar, indeed! The entrees were tastefully unique enough to please any foodie. Whatever you do, just make sure you get the cheese fondue as an appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NIce Saturday Night.SnackerVIPDined on 8/16/2013We had a nice time at our first visit to one of the Grafton Group restaurants. Went for the beer list and enjoyed the food. The pre-meal bread was really good. We got a funny look from the waitress when we asked how much the soup was, as the prince it was not listed on the menu. We were there at 6:30, which was early enough for there to be incessantly screaming children even though it is a bar /restaurant. I am sure no one really thinks it is a bar for children. Not sure if I'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch on the SidewalkLupeBluthDined on 8/11/2013The service was great, and the food was good and made it to our table quickly. The coffee was delicious and the bacon was stellar! Our waitress was sweet and helpful and kept the coffee coming.Special Features:
- Food is the best it has everSpectacularVIPDined on 8/10/2013Food is the best it has ever been - the halibut, the pork, the poached lobster, the scallops - all fantastic. And the chocolate fondue never gets old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDarkSideOfMoonDined on 7/26/2013A bit pricey, but more than worth it. The cocktails are superb. Menu has limited choice but food is excellentSpecial Features:
- OMG so AWESMikeDined on 7/21/2013We just LOVED it. OMG the carrot cake pancakes tasted like cake and SOOOOO GOOD. I LOVE AMERICA and I LOVE TEMPLE BAR.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bring the old chef backlschultz83VIPDined on 7/13/2013Gone a bit downhill since changing chefs. I dine here once per month and have noticed the negative change. Taking the duck wings off the menu? Strike one. Changing the table bread assortment (although, the savory bran/molasses bread is still available upon request) strike two. The new chef has added a few new items to the entree selection - i have tried both the lamb and the chicken, and while both were okay, I think they are covered in the same sweet gravy/sauce, lacking creativity. Strike three. We tried the new ice cream sandwich dessert which was yummy but nothing too adventurous. It was difficult to eat because the cookies were so hard. We had higher expectations for the new chef and hope that the fall/winter menu has some more pizzaz.
- Excellent!SomervillianDined on 7/6/2013Delicious and creative food. It's not a Number 9 Park or a Journeyman, but Temple Bar is an extremely good example of its price/genre bracket. Our table tried seven different dishes, and all but one (the truffle white pizza) were spot-on delicious and well-crafted.Special Features:
- birthday dinnerdinerDined on 7/6/2013Wonderful dinner with Ron our waiter - could not have been better. Surprised us with a small chocolate cake, candle and Happy Birthday written on the plate. We had a great time. Plus you could sit outside but with the heat wave - inside was nice an cool.Special Features:
- Food Continues to WowBuffMcCloudDined on 7/3/2013As usual Temple Bar was great. If you haven't tried it yet, you're missing one of the best restaurants in Cambridge. Need I say more?Special Features:
- Food was a little off on thisTiffVIPDined on 7/3/2013Food was a little off on this trip and we get to Temple Bar on a regular basis. We will certainly go back but hope our latest experience was juts an "off" night.Special Features:
- fun evening spothappy2eatDined on 7/2/2013we enjoy sitting outside at Temple Bar--fun, summery, good food, good service!Special Features:
- Second visit, food once againLise38VIPDined on 6/29/2013Second visit, food once again overall very good. Service : needed to ask for bread , wine order ask Twice. Felt possibly waiter had too many tables Otherwise attentive and still did not diminish the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family Saturday brunchDHughesDined on 6/22/2013Our family group of six had a lovely brunch this Saturday at Temple Bar. They brought out complimentary french toast with birthday candles for my husband whose birthday we wet celebrating, which he loved! Service and food were excellent, as always.Special Features:
- Amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2013The food was some of the best I've had. Excellent and unique menu. Drinks were great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just having an off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/16/2013This is a great spot. We've been here several times and enjoyed it very much. Our most recent visit, 6/16, was a miss - primarily because of a weak waitress. The rest of the staff tried to make up for her mistakes. These things happen. I'd still recommend Temple Bar for a good meal!Special Features:
- HalibutJabblyDined on 6/15/2013The halibut was perfect, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the setting was relaxed. We ate early, though (6:30), so it might have been much noisier later.Special Features:
- This is a perfect little spotRelaxingDined on 6/8/2013This is a perfect little spot if you like to sit on the sidewalk and enjoy tasty food prepared perfect with a nice moderately price bottle of wine. I enjoyed the scallop with beautiful arranged veggies and my friend had lobster out of the shell, which consisted of a large lobster tail and large claw designed nicely on a bed of mushroom rosato. our server was very attentive and courteous. I would return there and recommend this restaurant to friends.. we enjoyed a nice dinner at a sidewalk table with a bottle of wine for $120. I think temple bar is a great local spot for a night out for this $$$ amount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Temple Bar never disappointsEmandarchDined on 6/2/2013We've been here several times with friends and are always happy. It's great for a festive night with friends or a cozy dinner for two. Fresh, tasty food, great drinks, lovely setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Temple is our "go to place"PAS2539VIPDined on 5/29/2013The Temple is our "go to place" for casual dining. The food and ambience are especially welcome when dining with our 20something "kids" and their friends. The staff, on this occasion, were accommodating allowing us to make a reservation for 5 when they already had a very large group. Service was at just the right speed, allowing us to enjoy our drinks and appetizers at a leisurely pace without delaying our entrees. Thanks to the staff at Temple for making our son's birthday such an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Great food and beerthamwowVIPDined on 5/26/2013I was pleased to see the beer list is still improving. I especially liked seeing local gypsy-brewery Portico being featured.Special Features:
- As always, Temple was Great!BuffMcCloudDined on 5/24/2013I feel like I write the same review every time. Food was absolutely outstanding and drinks were fantastic. Still our favorite place to go for any occasion and as long as the chef keeps changing the menu we'll keep going back. Best food in Cambridge!Special Features:
- Food was good, energetic atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/18/2013Food was good, energetic atmosphere with lots going on both at the bar and in the dining area. We shared the Calamari ( light, cooked perfectly with tasty seasonings ). The knowledeable and speedy waitor recommended the steak frites and the daily catch. The catch was a lobster shelled on a bed of risotto, a good choice,maybe a bit salty. The steak frites was what was expected. If you are into trying something unique, this is probably not the place for you. However, if you want a vibrant scene where the food is good and served with a great group of servers who are attentive then you will be happy. The wine list is on the weak side, but the bar drinks and beer choices are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was hoping for a relaxed evening...tastesightsoundsDined on 5/18/2013I've been to Temple Bar perhaps 5 times, and each time my experience has been so-so to good. Unfortunately, this time, dinner was overshadowed by service that was very rushed. My guests and I could not finish our plates without it being whisked away by the server who attended us. And, I'm not angry, but it did seem inconsiderate, and her tip reflected that. Wine and beer selection was good (as it has always been in my experience). Steak tips were chewy but good. A bit overseasoned in my opinion. Overall, I'm afraid I will stick to the bar of Temple Bar and skip dining there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro cozy with cool vibeCelerychowVIPDined on 5/18/2013My husband and I went her to celebrate his birthday. We arrived early and had a drink at the bar. The hostess was very accommodating. There were seats at the bar and the restaurant boasts an extensive line of on tap beers -- mostly micro brews and not-your-average beers which was great to see well thought-out variety. Each beer came in it's branded glass. We were seated just inside the open-air windows. There is seating on the outdoor patio (aka sidewalk) which didn't look that great unless you don't mind crowds walking behind you on the sidewalk or the Mass Ave traffic. Service was attentive without being pushy. I liked Tempo and would likely return, probably not for date night though -- maybe girlfriend night out.Special Features:
- Upscale EateryJDohDined on 5/17/2013Temple offers a nice menu and interesting libations. Good for friends or a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious mothers day celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Delicious mothers day celebration! Service was attentive without being pushy and the food was fresh, lively and satisfied a wide range of likes and dislikes from our group. A little noisy but nothing too intrusive.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchGourmandetteDined on 5/12/2013Always luv the brunch at Temple Bar and brought a friend for Mother's Day, who will be seeing her son and his family the following weekend. Apparently there's a new chef who really has done a wonderful job. The food was excellent and the service was very good and accommodating on a busy holiday. Mimosas weren't bad either. ; )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Me and my family had a wonderfulLavawave321Dined on 5/12/2013Me and my family had a wonderful time at Temple Bar. We made reservations for Mother's day brunch and everything (service, food, atmosphere) was absolutely delightful. Were planning to come back again for dinner. Thanks !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Menu and Down to EarthOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2013They do a great job making the basics into something special. The Maple Brined Pork and the Smoked Apple glaze for the chicken breast are both wonderful. They also have some items you don't find everywhere like Rainbow Trout and occasionally Venison or Rabbit. The beer list is great. I'm not a wine person but that list seems pretty varied as well. I've been there for first dates, anniversary dinners, lunch with friends, and even a small family dinner with my five year old nephew. It's great for any occasion. I've never been there for the bar scene but I've heard that's great too, and with the TV's, the well stocked bar, the open air, and the location, I would expect as much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.