1688 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.templebarcambridge.com/
- Phone: 6175475055
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday/Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11.00pm
Late Night: Sunday - Saturday until 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Boschetti
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room accommodates semi-private parties and functions ranging from 10 - 150 people, available for receptions, recruitment events, rehearsal dinners, business meetings or family dinners. Please refer to our website for more menu details.
- Private Party Contact: Claire Mooney 6175475055
- Entertainment: Overhead music that complements dinner and the after dinner lounge environment
A word from Temple Bar
Temple Bar is a neighborhood bistro with a focus on creative cuisine along with professional and friendly service. Temple Bar offers a warm and welcoming charm. Accented by exposed brick, oversized mirrors, lights and booths and an oak enamored paneling, guests enjoy the buzz and excitement of Temple BarContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Temple Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (22)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (16)special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (15)romantic (14)good for groups (13)late-night find (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)Show More
- good but not greatRyanDined on 2/14/2014We have been to Temple Bar before and were very pleased with the meal. This time, with a fixed price menu for Valentines Day, the food was good, but nothing special. It was enjoyable but not exactly memorable. It just...was. Service was good, no problem with reservations, but the food just wasn't what we remembered it being.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Valentines day dinnerSteveDined on 2/13/2014I was traveling on Valentines day and we were able to reserve a table the night before. The menu had a lotto offer and the beverage list is great. With a full bar, if there's something you don't see, it can easily be made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really like this placeDosiaDined on 2/13/2014Temple Bar was a random find, and a place I will be going back to again happily after already having eaten there twice. Once I went with a group of friends, and even though it was packed, after some wait we were able to be seated at a comfortable hightop table that actually fit five of us (two in chairs, three on the booth side). I also went there to enjoy an early Valentine's day dinner with my boyfriend, and we sat in a small booth, which was fine. The food there is good, and although there is a limited selection of items, that is what makes it a unique place: you go there for what you know you like and want, and for awesome treats like their fondue appetizer and tray of berries, cheese, and honey--very cool. The service is good, too.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere but food ....DianeDined on 1/25/2014Loved the vibe and Atmosphere when we walked in. There were 4 of us so seated in dining room side. Waitress was sweet but very slow and forgetful. Food was average and very salty. May return to drop in at the bar, but too many other good choices. Felt Yelp rating wa generous.
- Pizazz AND Parking!ParisianPalateDined on 1/23/2014I had originally planned to dine at Russell House Tavern (a repeat). A friend recommended Temple Bar . When I realized it was under the same ownership AND had free parking after 6 pm, I quickly changed so we could discover something new. We were not disappointed. The decor and ambiance were tasteful, sort of upscale neighborhood bistro-ish in warm tones with an exposed brick wall. The farrow salad with squash and granola and pea greens was unusual and delicious. My sister loved her parsnip soup with duck confit. The entrees were wonderful but we were so full from the soup/salad course that we had to box the rest of the osso bucco and salmon for lunch the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have enjoyed Temple Bar asRobertDined on 1/20/2014Have enjoyed Temple Bar as a better than average neighborhood restaurant in the past. However, since visiting over a year ago, the overall quality of food has declined (one example was a pork carnitas taco that was disorganized on the plate and difficult to eat, even though this item should be relatively straightforward to serve as a winner). Service was better but not that attentive and there was no one watching over the dining room to make sure that team work was in play to assist servers when pressed with other tasks.
- Good as usualBuffMcCloudDined on 1/19/2014Good food. Great drinks. If you haven't tried it yet, now's the time.Special Features:
- unique brunch optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/19/2014A group of six dined at Temple Bar for Sunday brunch recently. The options were unusual and tasty. The service was great and the prices very reasonable. I will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseLindzDined on 1/19/2014Stopped in for an early brunch. We were pleasantly surprised at the variety of choices; beyond the "usual" brunch menu there are a number of eye-opening choices...the fried chicken and bacon infused waffles were excellent! Will definitely stop in again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with pretty decentPvdfoodsnobsVIPDined on 1/18/2014Good food with pretty decent portion sizes. Def try the side of fries, they are out of this world. Pretty cool three course special which includes appetizer, entree and a dessert drink. The dessert drink was a little too sweet and had odd flavor combinations but still for $29 the food was worth it. Well priced for very decent quality, and cool hip atmosphere!Special Features:
- a pretty good place for dinnerlschultz83VIPDined on 1/18/2014Everything at Temple Bar is pretty good. We like coming here because of the atmosphere and the easy parking. If Temple Bar didn't have it's own parking lot, we would never dine here. The food is pretty good but it's not enough to keep you coming back for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellent!LWLawrenceJrDined on 1/12/2014I'm very particular about food and service having worked in restaurants and being into food. Temple Bar is consistently excellent and is becoming one of my go to picks in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service, Food wasnt goodluvdandhVIPDined on 1/5/2014My wife and I went out for a date night this past Sunday and had the Steak Frites and WhiteTruffle Pizza. My wife had the Steak Frites and recieved the steak over cooked to start and when we got the new steak which took about 15 min. to come out and I was almost done with my dinner, the steak wasnt tender and really chewy. I ordered the White Truffle Pizza and never tasted any white truffle oil on it. I unfortunately wasnt very impressed with the food and will know not to come back to the temple bar. We were hoping for a better experience since we love Russell House Tavern and Grafton Street so much
- A Dining Gem in CambridgelondonboundDined on 1/4/2014On Saturday night in the frigid cold, I trudged up to the Temple Bar to meet a dear friend for dinner. We were both impressed with the ambience which was warm and inviting, especially welcome after a cold blast. While the restaurant was busy, the noise level was manageable. I ordered an excellent chardonnay while my friend enjoyed a beer. We shared the mussels and each ordered the lamb osso bucco. I especially liked the mussels because the sauce was not too spicy and was perfect for dipping The lamb was tender and moist. The farro was an excellent compliment to the lamb. We agreed that this was by the far the best dining experience we've had and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013This was my first time dining at Temple and will not be my last. The food was great and there was a nice craft beer list to choose from. Because I dined on NYE, the menu was pre fixed, but had a great selection. I look forward to attending and ordering from Temple's usual menu. The only negative would be that I had reservations for 9pm, and had to wait approximately 15 minutes until provided the option to sit at a high top table at the bar. I was told a table in the dinning area would be an additional 15 minutes. Because of the time crunch, I opted for the high top. The bar area was quite busy and much louder than the dining area but I still did manage to enjoy my visit.Special Features:
- Great NYE Spot!Whateva783VIPDined on 12/31/2013From the warm welcome of the hostess to the walk to the table and the very knowledgable waitstaff both my friend and I were impressed. The preset NYE offerings were quite delicious. The only note was that we were not asked how we wanted our Ribeye cooked and mine came out quite a bit more rare than my friends. Look forward to going back there to check out their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaky Start, Great Finish!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013My girlfriend and I went here for a last minute NYE dinner. At first we were seated near the window on a very cold night, and the draft was strong. But all it took was a quick request to the hostess and we were moved without hesitation. Once reseated, the service was good, but not great (took a while for the waitress to come to us, but I'm hesitant to blame her rather than the packed-house of New Years). The 3-course prefixe meal was delicious, however, I wish I could've sampled some of their main menu items. The cocktails were great, and had a ton of variety, and their wine/beer selection also had a lot of variety. Overall, it was a great night, with good food, a great environment, at a hidden gem near Porter Square.Special Features:
- great mealwinendineDined on 12/27/2013Had 8pm reservations for 4 people on a Friday night and we were seated right away. Ordered a bottle of wine for 2 of us and others had a beer or cocktail. Plenty of drink options (aged barrel cocktails seem interesting! ). Food came out pretty quickly and was delicious. Would definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise LevelOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/18/2013This restaurant is too loud. A conversation among more than two people is impossible. Maybe the time of day is a factor... we arrived at 7:30 on a weekday night.Special Features:
- BrunchProfessorShorthairVIPDined on 12/14/2013My 3 dining companions all had the Gravlox and loved it. I had the pastrami spiced eggs benedict and was very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experienceDanWDined on 12/6/2013We had been looking for a good place to eat on short notice on a Friday night. We made a reservation via OpenTable for 7:30, but showed up a little late (around 7:45pm). Unfortunately our table had been given away, and we ended up waiting another 20 minutes or so for a table by the bar to open up. Overall, the staff was friendly and flexible and was willing to work with us even though we had missed our reservation time. The Sliders were absolutely fantastic and the Steak Frites entree was excellent. Steak was perfectly cooked, and the Aioli that it comes with is a MUST have. The Fondue appetizer was unique but a big hit with our group. The red-wine soaked pears were surprisingly excellent with the unbelievable cheddar cheese dip.Special Features:
- Something has changed at Temple BardinerDined on 12/1/2013Have been to this restaurant many, many times. Our last visit was just so so and up until now we had never had anything but a great experience there. New menu - lots of old favorites but not as many selections.Steak frites - meat was a tougher cut - my husband has had this many times and had always been wonderful .Basket of breads was now a plate with 2 very small brown bread pieces and 2 rolls.Will probably give the restaurant one more try before we take it off our list of favorites.It was the Saturday night of Thanksgiving weekend but it was a dinner for a special occasion and we were disappointed.Is it becoming more of a bar restaurant like sister restaurant RedlIne?
- Not enough vegetablesfoobarDined on 12/1/2013My wife and I felt that there is not enough choice when it comes to vegetables...Special Features:
- If only the food were betterHitchVIPDined on 11/29/2013Second visit in as many weeks, Still like the vibe but now find that the underwhelming food, which I forgave the first time, undermines the experience. The ambition is there but somehow the execution is lacking.
- Went for Thanksgiving dinnerFoodie52Dined on 11/28/2013Went for Thanksgiving dinner and it was excellent. Great service, menu, and food was well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!Luv2EatVIPDined on 11/23/2013Love the food and the ambiance. Service is excellent. Definitely a place to go back.Special Features:
- Lively and sophisticatedHitchVIPDined on 11/22/2013Based on my only visit to date, which was on a late fall Friday night, this is a lively, casual but fairly sophisticated bar with a clientele to match, mostly in their late 20's and up. Menu offered interesting choices, reasonably priced, and the execution was good but not exceptional. Comfortable, dark wood interior. Despite the crowd, our reservation was fulfilled promptly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was a dissapointmnt this timePamelaDined on 11/22/2013We have been to this restaurant before for dinner and always enjoyed everything about it. So we e choose it this time for a birthday dinner celebration. We were greeted warmly, seated promptly at a "quieter" table and the service was attentive. However the food was just not up to par. The salad was wilted and tasteless, the "risotto" was simply a "glob" of pasty sticky rice and the arugula was non-existent. I couldn't finish my meal. Since it was a birthday we definitely wanted dessert but could not find a thing on the menu to interest anyone. So we left and it is doubtful that we will return. They must have a new chef, or whoever is in charge of food quality control is asleep at the wheel. Too bad.Special Features:
- The cheese fondue was disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2013The cheese fondue was disappointing, but everything else, including the chocolate fondue, was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place if you can getOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2013Nice place if you can get a seat in the dining room. You should make reservations in advance. The bar area doesn't have standing room, so you'll be constantly bumped while waiting for a table (if you don't have a reservation). Food was very good.. Nice draft beer selection. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Temple Bar Met All ExpectationsballetmamaDined on 11/4/2013Temple Bar has an impressive menu, innovative yet accessible. An array of interesting appetizers, main dishes and sides.Generous portions. The restaurant's decor was stylish, while warm and inviting at the same time. Service was impeccable. We chose it for a special occasion, and Temple Bar is just that -- special and an occasion. In a hip neighborhood above Harvard Square.Special Features:
- Loved it!CambridgeGirlDined on 10/23/2013My husband and I went there for the first time to celebrate a b-day. We had reservations and everything went very smoothly. We had the rosemary fries as an appetizer - yum! For entrees, I had the seared chicken, and my husband had the stuffed pork - both dishes were very delicious! We will definitely go back to try other dishes on the menus! Great dinner, great ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gemBonniebhDined on 10/18/2013We had reservations for 6 at 8pm. We were seated at a great table, the waitress took great care of us, and the food and drinks were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Night Was Had!thequietmanDined on 10/18/2013Everything about Temple Bar is excellent except "it's tooooo noisy." I wish the owner would install ceiling noise reducing panels. I know I would be most appreciative and so would other older folks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- speedcustomer1Dined on 10/18/2013We were not through with even half our desserts when a staff member who wasn't even our server asked if she could take our plates not to mention another server, not our, tried to take the check before I even placed my card into it. We had been there for about an hour and a half at this point. Also our plates kept being looked at from the hostess station to see if we were leaving even when we had our main dishes still. I know Friday night's are busy, but we bought salad, a main, dessert and coffee and were not expected to be rushed. I have been here numerous times with my husband and this is the first time I did not enjoy my visit as much. The food is always great and my main server wad fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food in the neighborhoodAnniedamamaDined on 10/12/2013We like the Saturday brunch option. Smokeds ssalmon eggs Benedict are really good. Service is amenable and helpful, but not overly solicitous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK for dinner, but noisyDutchBuckVIPDined on 10/8/2013Nothing memorable about the menus or the dishes we ordered. We got so tired of yelling to be heard that we gave up talking toward the end.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm disappointed to say thisopentablereviewerVIPDined on 10/5/2013I'm disappointed to say this but Temple Bar has gone downhill recently. I eat at Temple Bar with some frequency. The last three times I've been to Temple Bar the service has been very slow to the point of being intolerably bad. And it's never that the servers are bad or poorly trained, just that they're covering too much. Ultimately three bad experiences in a row mean I won't be returning. It makes me sad to say that because I really like Temple Bar. The food and drinks are good. But if I can't be served in a timely manner then it becomes too unpleasant to go back. I hope they hire more wait staff and can go back to being the place they were.Special Features:
- Great burgers, great service.LeighDined on 10/5/2013Great burgers, great service. We were there for a late Saturday lunch (3:00 p.m.). The restaurant and bar were very quiet, and the ambience was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought Temple was a neighborhoodDoonerMADined on 9/27/2013Thought Temple was a neighborhood Gem. We all loved our meal. Our server was excellent!Special Features: