Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant
3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway
Mount Vernon, VA 22309Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mountvernon.org/inn
- Phone: 7037800011x
- Hours of Operation:
Sundays only: 11:00am-7:00pm
Monday-Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm;
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm;
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 4pm-8pm in Tavern Room
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Wallen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our Catering Department is in charge of booking all of our private events, including Weddings, Corporate Functions, Baby Showers, Promotion Ceremonies, etc. Many of our Saturdays during Wedding Season tend to booked with Weddings, closing the Restaurant for the public. For more information, call our main number: 703.780.0011.
- Cross Street: George Washington Memorial Parkway
- Public Transit: There is a Metro Bus stop at the corner of the crosswalk directly in front of the Restaurant. The Metro Bus stops at Huntington Metro, the end of the Yellow Line.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is directly across the street on Route 235 North.
A word from Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant
The charming Mount Vernon Inn restaurant serves lunch daily and elegant candlelit dinners daily. The Inn offers six intimate dining rooms, two with fireplaces, all with colonial charm, costumed servers, and delicious regional and colonial cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (61)great for lunch (40)neighborhood gem (35)romantic (34)kid-friendly (22)good for groups (22)fit for foodies (18)scenic view (16)great for brunch (14)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (7)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Wish our family had dined elsewhereloveshistorynatureDined on 6/15/2014Even though we had reservations for the 4:30 father's day brunch, the wait staff had trouble finding us a table. Then we waited approx. 15 min. as our table did not seem to have a waitress. When we had been shown to the buffet, we returned to our table and still did not have silverware. Rather than wait for silverware, we obtained silverware from another table (all of them had silverware except ours). The food was good, but not great and my children's hamburgers were not completely cooked. The centers appeared pink and uncooked. I do not think the hamburgers were warm inside. The buffet menu listed a roasted pig and key lime pie. The pig was picked clean and the pie was gone. Would not recommend holiday buffets at this restaurant. Sorry.
- No healthy foods on Father's Day .TwindadDined on 6/15/2014We have loved the Mother's Day buffet st the Inn for two years now. We were disappointed in the lack of vegetables in this buffet . Even vegetables can be grilled . The food -- grilled meats, bread , potato salad , cole slaw, Ceasar's salad and mac and cheese were all excellent . Would have liked to have had the option of healthier choices, too. Limited selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2014When i made the reservation I did not know it was only buffet. I was a little disappointed but the item were very goodSpecial Features:
- Anniversary DinnerShamroqueDined on 6/14/2014We wanted to have nice quiet dinner and we got it! Freshly painted room, great service led by Judy and a lush meal. Fried green tomatoes were a great start, I had the grilled shrimp and scallops which were served over a yummy charred corn risotto with fresh green beans. My husband had the lamb grill and enjoyed it. The menu has been updated some and the quality improved since our last visit. The entire staff was friendly and it was a lovely summer evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMarysThoughtsDined on 6/13/2014Our first time here; food was awesome; service was great; and making the online reservations was so easy. Nice ambience. Would highly recommend for anytime dining as well as that special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichiganvisitorJune2014Dined on 6/13/2014Our server was excellent! The child's menu grilled cheese was mediocre (burned crust in places, looked and tasted like one slice of American cheese. The atmosphere was great and the adult meals, turkey pot pie and shrimp and grits were outstanding. Overall, I would recommend it. It is a good value for such a nice place.Special Features:
- UncomfortableDisappointedDined on 6/9/2014For the first time ever in our many dinning experiences we were served a bad bottle of wine. We felt bad about sending it back but could not drink, let along pay for such a bottle. Our server was nice about it but one of the hostesses (i'm guessing that was her position since she was seating people) came in the dining area we were in and stared us down with a scowl on her face for quite some time. We felt very uncomfortable and continued to feel that way through out dinner. We never got good service after that so were very disappointed. It was to bad because we were really looking forward to dining there. We will not go back or recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014We enjoyed a wonderful anniversary and birthday dinner! The waiter went beyond when several in our party wanted Cherry Pie and it wasn't on the dessert menu that night. He went to the kitchen and came back with three pieces of cherry pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 208 reviews are from the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant reviews archive.
- A disappointmentMaryDined on 6/3/2014The food was excellent but the service was not. The waitress was very hard to hear and understand - in part from the extremely high noise level in the main dining area and in part from her whispering presentation. She kept repeating our order to us, meticulously writing it down only to confuse it in the end. We were a party of 4 - I had gone online to make a special request for one of our party which was totally ignored. Of the four, two of us received the first course we ordered and the other two did not - given the difficulties in communication, we did not bother to ask again - thinking that they would eventually arrive which they never did.Special Features:
- Excellent foodJanieBDined on 6/2/2014Our reservation was for 7:45 pm and there were only two large groups left in the restaurant. Service was good but a little slow in getting entrée. Otherwise, very nice dining experience. Sever told my spouse spoonbread was just offered for Lunch, but then brought him some anyway! Nice touch.Special Features:
- Menu upgraded!FredS1Dined on 5/30/2014My wife and I have eaten at Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant many times over the years. This visit was our first time there since the menu has been upgraded. We could definitely tell there had been improvements in the kitchen. Appetizers, salads, and especially main entrees had been enhanced in quality. Ambiance retains the classic colonial flair of Mount Vernon. Prices have all gone up, as well, though still remain reasonable for the overall dining experience. For special occasions, or simply a delightful taste of colonial fare, Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant is worth your consideration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dramatically ImprovedBillinVADined on 5/28/2014The new chef and director of operations have made a big, big difference. This is now well worth going. We tried the expanded happy hour menu with cocktails and 4 different main course meals, 2 desserts, 3 appetizers. Other than the fish being a bit dry, everyone gave everything 4 stars, a new experience at the inn. Menu had excellent variety and quite reasonable prices. Wine list should be expanded, in lauding by the glass options, but acceptable as it. Ax always fine atmosphere. Our waitress was very pleasant as was the greeter. Delighted to see the Inn has got it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Dining ExperienceEmbethDined on 5/28/2014Dining at Mount Vernon Inn immerses you in the historic significance of George Washington’s home, and step back in time to reflect on the founding of our great country as you savor the excellent cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit FrequentlyDeeDeePDined on 5/24/2014My family and I visit quite often and are never dissapointed. Anthony is wonderful. His outstanding personality makes you feel right at home and comfortable. Need more bartenders like him. Fabiano is one of the best managers I have ever seen. He is absolutely wonderful and will for certain take care of you.Special Features:
- BillDined on 5/24/2014overall a good experience with very good food and service. The only problem was that we were seated next to the bar and this night the bard was noisy at time. It calmed down about half way through, then it was fine.Special Features:
- DeliciousDchoneymoonDined on 5/24/2014Delicious menu. Great staff. Enjoyed the crab cakes so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surprise...cmorganDined on 5/23/2014My wife and I ate lunch here during our visit to Mount Vernon. We shared the best spinach and strawberries/pecans salad we have ever eaten. Also, the shrimp and grits was excellent, not what we expected from a tourist restaurant. It was a quiet spot (removed from the noisy gift shop). I have only 2 suggestions: please cushion the chairs for men with boney bums, and discourage the wait staff from upselling so hard. I failed to remember to take advantage of the $10 gift for joining, but that is totally on me.Special Features:
- Disappointing food this visitBrownieDined on 5/23/2014I come to this restaurant very frequently, bringing all of my out if town guests. Usually, the food is absolutely outstanding. This time, I tried the Crab and Shrinp Louis Salad -- as did my guest. Very disappointing -- dry; little flavor to the fish... Generally a bust.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFUL foodTifn8rDined on 5/22/2014My family enjoyed a delicious meal, with great service, and a great atmosphere. After a day of walking the grounds of Mt. Vernon, it was nice to sit down to a meal at the inn. Take note that the grounds close at 5pm, as do the shops, so if your reservation is after 5 pm and you have children with you you will have nothing to do but wait in the sitting area out front or in the lobby area of the restaurant, because kids are NOT allowed into the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BernieDined on 5/18/2014I was planning pleasantly surprised to find the food so delicious. The hoe cake was creative and delicious!We wanted more. Three of our party had the crab cakes and ate all. I had the lamb chops and spicy sausage and they were perfect. We definitely plan to go back and take friends. So glad My. Vernon Inn now has a competent and creative chef!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014Our first visit was wonderful. Unfortunately, on the return trip the food was poor. My wife had turkey and I had Snapper, and both were dry.Special Features:
- Highly recommendjoeadamsDined on 5/16/2014I have been here several times with my wife and we have always enjoyed ourselves. Usually it is nice and quiet and the food is always quality. The roast duck is particularly good. Our server was outstanding. He was very responsive, and didn't hover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Eat and EnjoyXKodakRDined on 5/16/2014Wonderful food, excellent service, in a historical setting. Highly recommended after visiting Mount Vernon. Try the roast turkey dinner, and make certain to come hungry as there was plenty of food. Also consider the peanut soup, delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedpjw330VIPDined on 5/13/2014This restaurant is a hidden gem. While visiting Mt. Vernon we searched for an alternative to the terribly congested food court. This quaint and delightful restaurant was tucked into the corner of the gift shop. Best spinach salad ever! We liked it so well that we went back for supper. We were glad we did. The crab cakes were superb and the duck excellent. Wish this little gem was closer to home so that we could visit more often. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Brunch!Critic4gfoodVIPDined on 5/11/2014This was the first time we attended this restaurant for brunch. This restaurant is located at the historic Mount Vernon, home of our first US president, George Washington. Some of the dishes were non-traditional, such as cornbread salad, which was quite tasty. We enjoyed the brunch and rustic feel of this colonial themed restaurant.Special Features:
- Loved it!Snag626Dined on 5/10/2014Food was awesome, prices reasonable, portions just right, and great ambience too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolCarolMTDined on 5/10/2014Great food. What a great way to end your day at Mount Vernen. Very family friendly and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!personDined on 5/8/2014Great food and great service! Will absolutely go back if I am in the area again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy EndingsHappyCamperDined on 5/6/2014After spending the day touring Mount Vernon, the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant was a welcome respite for our tired feet. It has a lovely atmosphere and the food was excellent. They have lots of regional specialties from which to choose. You don't see peanut soup everywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bartenders & StaffDeeDeePDined on 5/5/2014Always the best service at MV Inn! Food is unmatched and happy hour is just great!Special Features:
- George would be pleasedTheExhorsecistDined on 5/4/2014I noticed something that pleased me greatly: We had just been seated when a large family group was also seated in the same room. This group had a somewhat noisy baby--a happy kind of noisy, but rather shrill. After a little while the group was reseated in what I later noticed was a private dining area that had been opened up just for them. I very much approve of the Inn making accommodation of a large family so that they can relax and enjoy their meal without worrying about how they might be affecting other diners. To my mind, this elevated my dining experience from a simple restaurant visit to something more akin to dining as a guest in a private home--and a very gracious one at that. President Washington would be pleased!Special Features:
- NutmegDined on 5/4/2014On a Sunday at 6pm they had run out of 3 menu items we had requested how do you run out of Risotto? What we did have was tasty, especially appreciated regional specialties like the peanut soup and hoecake with crabSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once was enoughDissappointedDined on 5/2/2014Went there for a birthday dinner with girlfriend in a party of 4. Food and service were at best fair. Out of some dishes, bread was like out of a plastic bag, food was semi warm, and server was semi attentive. On the bright side, girlfriend had the Lump Crab which was rather tasty. Was expecting a 4-5 star evening but seems to have been somewhat overcast - only 2 stars were able to be seen. Place was also pretty empty, kitchen closes at 9 pm. So many great places to dine in the area -other than the history, I would recommend elsewhere to spend your hard earned bucks.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/2/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal in a quiet, peaceful setting. The server was attentive, and helpful with her knowledge of the menu. We both thought the hoe cake was delicious, and even the mixed vegetables were especially appealing. We look forward to our return.Special Features:
- Terrific RestaurantBillDined on 4/24/2014Food, service, ambiance -- all great! Highly recommend going there after a full day of touring.Special Features:
- was expecting more...LadyJaneDined on 4/24/2014The picture of the restaurant on the website showed white tablecloths, lit candle sconces...was expecting more of a quaint Inn experience. The restaurant failed to deliver. Nothing on the tables at all. Not even a small flower arrangement. Food was good but wanted more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Easter DinnerMike89NYDined on 4/20/2014I went with a few friends for Easter Dinner. It was a good buffet with some nice choices. The service was friendly and it was a great place to spend the holiday. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a different place to eat and spend time with family/friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Brunch-Late AfternoonWCSdancerDined on 4/20/2014Well organized yet casual. Perfect for Easter brunch! No wait for seating based on our timed reservation. Not rushed to leave. Plenty of buffet food options including desserts. I've always had good food and good service at the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant (despite it being a tourist destination), and the special Easter buffet menu was no exception. I would go back for Easter for sure! Book early it fills up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter buffet at Mount Vernon InnDaisyDined on 4/20/2014Glad we went but probably would not go again. Buffet was extremely limited. 4 meat choices, 4 salad choices, 4 starch/veg choices & some desserts for which they ran out of some. My favorite is Crème Brule & that was gone before I could grab one. Adults $38 per person, $18 per kid. My 9 year old couldn't find much to eat except for the ham. They did have a macaroni and cheese which I thought was fine but it was made from not a standard mac n' cheese pasta so she wasn't interested. They really needed more choices for the kids. My 9 year old ate a few bites of ham and half of a brownie all for $18! Overall, the food was just OK and not worth the price. Not the special occasion I hoped for.Special Features:
- Not goodMesiDined on 4/20/2014Not quite a real restaurant. Basic elements of service missing - long waits for waiters and menus, who then hand you drinks instead of placing them. We sat down for Easter Dinner and waited about 10 minutes, then a busboy came and handed us water, then the waiter came and said "go on up to the buffet." No introduction and I guess assumed everyone would drink the tap water. With prompting we got a wine list of seven-eleven quality wines (most expensive on list is Santa Margherita). Good for tourists but don't go expecting a normal dining experience.