River City Seafood and Grill
115 N Loop 1604 E
San Antonio, TX 78232Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
River City Seafood and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rivercityseafoodandgrill.com/
- Phone: 2102336790
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 10:45 am - 4:00 pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 pm -10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00 pm -11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Charlie Coleman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Caterings for any occasion
- Private Party Contact: Charlie Coleman 2102336790
- Entertainment: Jazz Music Friday and Saturday nights 7-9 pm
A word from River City Seafood and Grill
Casual dining seafood restaurant serving the highest quality seafood, steaks, and chicken in a warm, comfortable setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
River City Seafood and Grill - Best Restaurants in Stone Oak ›
River City Seafood and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (11)neighborhood gem (10)special occasion (7)fit for foodies (6)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Cheap food very cheap qualitysteveDined on 9/6/2014I made a promise to my wife that we would start trying to review a new place every week. Well this one fell extremely short. We had a group of 7 people with us. Most started off with a seafood gumbo that seemed like a good cambell's or progresso. I had the mahi mahi and the vegetables were out of a bag/can same standard broccoli squash, carrot melody that some Sysco sells rep is pushing. The fish was a perfect square chunk of meat. We won't be back, I left the waitress a good tip $40 on a 160 dollar bill but she didn't know the menu or how items were prepared.Special Features:
- First time visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Very good value. The food and alcohol (wine and specialty cocktails) were very reasonably priced. The menu contained interesting and unique dishes beyond the fried seafood selections. The ambiance could easily be improved by lowering the lighting levels (evening meal); which we requested our server to do. Overall a good experience and we will certainly be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service. good food.ArleneVIPDined on 8/7/2014We were in a hurry and our server made sure we were accommodated. The food was served quickly and tasted great. I had clamp chowder and shrimp salad. The chowder had a good balance of class and potatoes. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make Appetizers Your MealKathDined on 7/25/2014Salad, chowder, and fried shrimp appetizers are the best! Add a side of rice pilaf and you are good for 2 for supper!Special Features:
- Great Family PlaceFamilyOfThreeVIPDined on 7/25/2014We came for the fried seafood, and that was all we ate. So I can't really speak for the rest of the menu. But the catfish, shrimp, and hushpuppies were all done to perfection. Best I've had in a very long time. The restaurant is simple, and the menu is reflective of the owner's New Orleans roots. Good food, very nice people, enthusiastic young waiter. Both the french fries and the sweet potato fries were a little soggy, but we were too busy eating the fish and shrimp anyway. There is also a decent (and relatively inexpensive) list of wines and cocktails available. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Dinner ratingyummy13Dined on 7/19/2014As a 1st time guest and a person not a big fan of seafood, I had the fried catfish platter. It was delicious! Service was great and the drinks were too! Highly recommend this restaurant for special occasions, family outings, or just a night out.Special Features:
- Hit the mark; just a different markOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2014We booked on open table expecting a sophisticated / fine dining experience. It certainly wasn't that; HOWEVER that doesn't take away from the experience. First and foremost, the food was excellent! The ambiance was decidedly family. Bright lights and big tables, not much of a wine list but that's not what this place is about. Recommend the seafood gumbo and thin & crispy catfish! Great and prompt service. All in all, great experience and we will be back (with the kids)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014My husband and I come here quite a bit. The food is always fresh and there hasn't been a dish we didn't enjoy. Charlie the owner is almost always there and when he is, he tries to stop by to greet every table. The grilled shrimp has an awesome spice to it. The mashed potatoes are fabulous - with a kick. I love their gumbo and can just eat that everyday!Special Features:
- iloveshrimpDined on 6/24/2014River City is our very favorite place to go for seafood. The food is delicious, fresh, arrives at our table at just the right temperature,. The service is great & staff friendly & courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Secret is officially OutShadeauDined on 6/21/2014Been to a few places in my time. Some are ok, while others should be run out of town. We found a true gem today at the River City Seafood and Grill. We were greeted with a genuine smile and promptly shown to our table. From the moment we sat down to the time we finally left was honestly a wonderful experience. Service was stellar. Our server took as much time as we wished explaining how different entrees were prepared and if we wanted to pair it with a wine, she was ready to describe the wine collection. The food was top drawer, no doubt about it. I had crap cakes alfredo ( I'll wear that well). You must, I insist on you trying the bread pudding ( my grandmother twin). You will truly enjoy this neighborhood diamond. Price is right.Special Features:
- Great food, nice atmosphereSeafoodjunkieDined on 6/15/2014First time at this restaurant was to celebrate Father's Day, it was great. The service was amazing, we were never rushed and allowed to spend a few hours enjoying food and time together. The waiter was very knowledgable about the menu. My sister and I were able to split a meal very easily and the plating was beautiful, even when spilt. I am eager to go back with my fiancé, maybe our new favorite date spot.Special Features:
- Good stuff.Foodlover1999Dined on 6/14/2014The food was absolutely delicious and every single time I visit this restaurant (which has become a family favorite ) I am blown away by both the food and service. I was there with four small children and a large party ; it is just a great place to be that makes a casual dining experience feel like you stepped into a (and please excuse my language ) fancy restaurant . I would definitely recommend. Five out of five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerRetAFfoodluverDined on 6/6/2014The celebration of our daughter-in-law's birthday was with dinner at River City Seafood & Grill was simply great thanks to the staff at the restaurant. Outstanding service, excellent food, and lovely environs. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good appetizer selection.luv2dineDined on 5/25/2014Seafood was ordinary,the vegetables were not cooked, and the wine list was lacking in cabernet sauvignon selections. Service was the best part of the meal.
- DisappointedVIPDined on 5/24/2014Food was not that great overall. I ordered the filet and it definitely was not a filet (lots of fat). My husband ordered the fried crawfish and it wasn't seasoned at all. However, their tomato bisque is delicious!Special Features:
- TastyMandersDined on 5/24/2014This was my husband and I first time eating here. The service was great!! I had the grilled catfish and it was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 49 reviews are from the River City Seafood and Grill reviews archive.
- 5 starLoved14Dined on 5/11/2014We celebrated my sons college graduation and the food was awesome the service was excellent and everybody in our party loved it. We will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food8greatmargeDined on 5/11/2014This was a pleasant experience for Mother's Day. Our server was nice enough but only recommended one thing, which we did not order. The stuffed mushrooms were wonderful and we will order them again. Main course was good and grilled Maui Maui was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dining experiencenbdinerDined on 5/9/2014Informal dining with more of a neighbor dining atmosphere. Interesting menu with some unique dishes - quite a few Cajun dishes as well as the standards. Prices are reasonable for the area and food was good as was the service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/1/2014Food quality and amounts were excellent. Server, Preston, was very knowledgeable about the menu as this was our first time. We will be back---hard to find seafood in SA>Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food from a great hostbackmanDined on 4/20/2014As usual, we get a great meal, every time we stop in to River City Seafood and Grill. We had guests with us from Louisiana. They were impressed. It's what we have come to expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overlooked Friday Night SeafoodCaptainPaulDined on 4/18/2014We went to River City after we saw the wait for Sea Island was around the building (literally). We were seated immediately, the food and service were great. I highly recommend River City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best New Orleans food in SATBruceDined on 4/14/2014Great catfish, oysters, crawfish, poor boys. Don't miss it. Charlie Coleman. Owner, is actve and visible to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well DoneHoemChefDined on 4/13/2014Nice menu with a mix of well prepared and healthy seafood dishes that are grilled with tasty sauce to fried dishes. Nice portions, nice wine list. Bread as a warm up with a wide variety of drinks from the bar. One desert was enough for 2. We tried the Sizzling Apple pie-Yum!!Special Features:
- Will Give the Food a 2nd TryKathDined on 3/28/2014The experience was great...super attention from server and owner. AMAZING crawfish poppers and Salmon dish was excellent. Appreciated the GF menu and wine was good. Since I am a Cajun, I made a mistake by ordering the shrimp etouffe...since it was no where near authentic and the shrimp were the tiny 'overseas frozen' type, the flavor was flat and the sauce was not genuine, so it did not save the dish. My plan is to re-visit this very pleasant grill and sample one more Cajun dish...perhaps the gumbo.
- Good SeafoodCLSpiveyDined on 3/22/2014Best seafood we have experienced in a long while. The Shrimp Louisiana was good as an appetizer and the bread pudding was wonderful! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Cookin'4cagjnDined on 3/19/2014This is a proud family operation and the food and service are authentic Cajun. Try the gumbo as the roux is an art. Try the Tiger sauce on your salad as a dressing. Laissez les bons temps rouler !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedSteveDined on 3/15/2014There were very few cars in the lot when we arrived for dinner at 6:00 which didn't seem to be a good sign. We took a chance and were rewarded with a quiet setting, great food and service. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good seafood restaurantMrJDDined on 3/14/2014From catfish to cajun favorites, with chicken, pasta and steaks too, this is a comfortable and eclectic privately owned eatery with a nice bar, booths and tables. Great wait staff and, according to owner Charlie Coleman, there's a sizable room for private parties. Reservations recommended on weekend nights. An exceptional whiskey infused bread pudding is the real deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had awesome service. IOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2014We had awesome service. I really enjoyed the ap0etizers. The only downside is the vegetables and rice needed some seasoning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceCt18Dined on 2/28/2014I have never had less than a great dining experience at River City Seafood Grill!Special Features:
- good food, reasonably pricedtwoofusDined on 2/22/2014We've been here 3 times in the last month. Generally positive reviews on the food. We liked the jumbalaya, artichoke dip, the blackened catfish, the shrimp and crabcakes w pasta, and for the non-seafood eater, the blackened chicken. Veggies came out cold one time, and I didn't care for the fried catfish. Service is good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is keyJamieDined on 2/15/2014I am wishing I has stuck with my original reservations next door but after reading some good reviews, my wife and I decided to give it a try. The food was fine, it was our server the ruined the evening. From what we saw there weren't to many people but after a 6 min wait after being seated our server decided to show up. We informed her it was our first visit and we wondered what were they known for. We got a list of things to try and made our choice, and from there our service did not improve. We waited on water refills, she forgot to add an item to our order and didn't bother to check in. If our server was that busy letting us know would have made me feel a bit better. I felt other tables had better service then we did.Special Features:
- First and LastmikaDined on 2/15/2014This is a mid-range restaurant and in the lower half at that. Though the staff was very friendly and helpful, it did not make up for the food quality. The fried entries were very oily and a bit under cooked so that the breading was gummy. Possibly the oil was not hot enough. The broiled entry was also average and a bit under cooked. The vegetables were over cooked and definitely not fresh. As my father was know to say, I have been there twice, first and last.....
- Great Cajun Food!JimboDined on 2/14/2014Nice to find an affordable Cajun food place that knows how to prepare Po-boys and popcorn shrimp. Pacifico on tap was an added bonus. House Cabernet was good and the Carrot Cake and Brownie with Ice cream was a nice way to finish. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food reasonable pricetwoofusDined on 2/13/2014We read that it was noisy so we went on a Thursday night and it was great. She had the chicken and I had the shrimp and crab cakes. Both were delicious and around $15. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menupjcsaDined on 2/9/2014With company from out of town who are gluten intolerant, it's difficult to go out to eat, but this restaurant has a lovely menu just for those with the condition right on the back of the regular menu, making it so much easier for them to order. Usually, you have to talk to the chef. the service was great, things did not take ages to arrive. We will be returning to River City even after our guests leave, we had a very nice evening.Special Features:
- River City Seafood and GrillMsmoniDined on 2/8/2014River City Seafood and Grill is a family owned restaurant that knows how to make you feel right at home. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable. We had a group of 12 and not one person had a dish they did not enjoy. This was our first time visiting, but certainly not the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time's a charmwildaboutwildfishDined on 1/24/2014It was an anniversary that led us to check out RCS&G for the first time. We were in a more casual mode so we dined at the bar, in part to watch the Spurs on the bar TVs. Good selection on the menu led to a tasty Shrimp Louisiana app (recommended by attentive and friendly bartender/server). My wife quite enjoyed the rare opportunity to have Crawfish Etouffee and I give the New England Clam Chowder a 4 star (be aware the bowl is more than a meal). For dessert we shared (no other way to finish) the recommended (and for good reason) bread pudding. The place is and has a more family-owned feel, accentuated by the youthful servers, but that is not a negative. Good vibe, good food and seems to be on the right track.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable did a good job.JohnSDined on 1/17/2014OpenTable did a good job. Table for 4 was ready as promised. Service was prompt, courteous, & friendly. Wine and cocktails arrived quickly. The owner visited with us & treated us to a tasty new appetizer, fried artichoke hearts. Very good. Orders placed for shrimp, crabs and filet were well prepared & delivered hot. There was a full house and the owner made a point of greeting all guests. He truly listened to our comments & we feel the staff definitely wanted us to have the best experience possible and to return soon. We know they have great bread pudding for dessert but we were all too full. One couple did a take-out of the bread pudding for a late night snack at home. All in all, a very good evening and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.