110 Castro Street
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.xanhrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6509641888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-2:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 4:30pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Thuy Pham
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Xanh offers lunch and dining catering. Please email all catering request to email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: Xanh offers three private room options with a maximum capacity of 60 ppl sitting and up to 250 ppl standing. Please email all private dining request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Seren P 4088380566
A word from Xanh Restaurant
Xanh, with its cutting edge contemporary design and a more diverse, innovative menu, is tailor made for entertaining and dining. Clearly not your typical Vietnamese Restaurant, XANH is a 21st century interpretation of that beloved culinary tradition retaining the essential elements of the classic but updating it for a new generationContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Xanh Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Mountain View ›
Xanh Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)good for groups (52)great for outdoor dining (41)special occasion (41)vibrant bar scene (41)neighborhood gem (35)hot spot (33)great for lunch (26)romantic (24)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (8)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- good food, not greatcappyVIPDined on 6/15/2014The menu is very extensive. Some of our orders were much better than others. The Vietnamese tacos were tasty, cooked perfectly. Crispy calamari also very good although on the spicy side. We ordered 2 different noodle dishes(Lucky Egg noodles and Glass noodles with crabmeat), both had nice taste but the noodles were aovercooked. The Chilean seabass dish was very overcooked and soggy but the taste was good. It took awhile to get our table cleared after we finished our main entrees.Special Features:
- great high-end vietnamesetwangerDined on 6/14/2014Xanh is a great place for truly exotic combinations of flavor and stunning plating. Get the Ahi appetizer for the dry ice display, and then love it for the the taste. The back room has very nice ambience for conversation, the rest is beautiful but can be noisy. Service is downright great, this place rules.Special Features:
- Great food, vibrant sceneSandyDined on 6/13/2014All dishes had great display; qunatitiea are limited for the higher price items lime lamb and fish. We were there on a Friday evening and the restaurant was packed. Although we got our reservation on time, the service was slowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok, but a lil tacky...globalgourmetDined on 6/12/2014I was vetting Xanh on behalf of my huge corporate tech company that's hosting a dinner there this week, and I MUST report that I wanted to change the reservation after my experience. The food was made with quality ingredients, but lacked any real common thread or vision throughout, and the chef wouldn't make even the tiniest of alterations. The serveware used was so awkward that it was a distraction. Food tilting over spilling, sauces dumping down the sides of dishes, too many modern plating options that took away from the experience rather than added. Pretty tacky overall. Also, on a Thu night they were allowing a private party use the bar and a microphone= drunken bachelorettes while also packing the room w/dinners. Tacky.Special Features:
- Good buffet for a weekday lunchdiner940XYDined on 6/12/2014The buffet indeed has a good number of choices and some of them are really tasty. Nice choices even for a vegetarian. The can add some more choices for deserts through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accepted booking at closing timeLovingTheBestVIPDined on 6/8/2014We made a booking for 8:45pm on Sunday, and was told they were about to close when we arrived. Restaurant was nearly empty. Choose to find another restaurant in Castro street.
- LindaDined on 6/6/2014Enjoyed our evening. Though it was a little expensive. Next time will take advantage of the Happy Hour at the bar lounge. Love the Kobe Roll for an appetizer. For entrees, we like the shaking beef (could use a little more beef) and prawns. Garlic noodles as a side dish. The sauce with the Lemon grass chicken was delicious but a little to thin/runny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XANHOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014I give high marks to Xanh for quality and selection of food items. Service was good. We came in at 11:30 and avoided the lines that had formed in the past when dining at a later time and avoided the "noise" that comes with a crowded restaurant.Special Features:
- Asian fusion in a modern settingEMCBVIPDined on 5/31/2014Great food with creative ingredients that are well prepared and presented. We ordered the misfit roll with a tempura fried soft shell crab and mango in a soft skinned roll topped with thinly sliced fried garlic for an appetizer. For entrees, we had the banana left wrapped see bass with shiitake mushrooms and glass noodles, the rack of lamb and garlic noodles. The service was very attentative and the decor was modern. All in all a great meal in one of our favorite restaurants on Castro St.Special Features:
- The following 98 reviews are from the Xanh Restaurant reviews archive.
- A favorite when we come to Bay areaRichVIPDined on 5/24/2014Hace been here a number of times. Great Happy Hour. Food is inventive and delicious. Always funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2014We had been here a number of times previously and really enjoyed the place. The rolls and salad were very good again this time, and I like the decor and ambiance. But the green beans and tacos were very mediocre. And the salmon was truly awful--so overcooked and dry that it took a sip of water to wash it down. I had two bites before I gave up on it. We wanted to talk to a waiter about it, but they didn't come by for a full 20+ minutes. By the time a disinterested server checked in on us, we just asked for a check so that we could get out of there. Given the number of great options in this neighborhood, we will go somewhere else next time we are in the area.
- Good food, service is "ditzy"MsabdalaDined on 5/21/2014The service is so impersonal and snooty, without reason. Everyone on the staff is lacking charm and acts awkward. That is my only true complaint, though. The food used to be a little more exciting to me, probably because Xanh was the restaurant the broke ground for foodies and savvy food-centric travelers. Their Vietnamese fusion is notable, and there is something for everyone on the menu, both for drinks and food. I think there are more restaurants that offer options similar to Xanh's, but if you like a hip and modern atmosphere, plus a well-stocked bar, this a great choice for evenings. If you like lunch buffets that don't consist of dried-out chicken sitting in chafing dishes and oily Indian food, this is definitely a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodieDined on 5/17/2014Small portions (we left hungry), over-priced (the most strikingly expensive was the duck duck good at $25 which was not a full duck breast but a few slices and the sides were a spoonful of sticky rice and another spoonful of chopped vegetables... our 10 year-old ate it in a few minutes and was hungry after), most of our dishes were bland and tasted similar to one another (probably because a lot had the same sweet clear sauce and there is a big overlap in ingredients even though we tried to order across the menu). Very disappointed in the food. Not what I remembered. Service was attentive though.Special Features:
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/11/2014I really liked the menu choices, but we were a bit disappointed in that some of the dishes were way too sweet. We ordered Sour & Spicy soup (can't recall the exact title). It had HUGE chunks of a white fish. The "soup" was very sweet, but there was no "spicy" taste which I usually think means a hot chile pepper "spice", nor was there ANY "sour" or vinegary taste. The eggplant dish was very bland; we couldn't quite figure out what it was supposed to taste like. It was also too sweet. We liked the other dishes overall, but were a bit disappointed as this Asian fusion (Vietnamese) restaurant looked very promising.
- Great lunch buffet!LovetodineoutVIPDined on 5/5/2014I went here for the first time with a large party for the lunch buffet. They had an extensive selection of food to pick from and it was all excellent. Very reasonably priced and the service was great. I would recommend it!Special Features:
- Yum!steph0205VIPDined on 5/3/2014Wish we had tried this place sooner, the food was yummy!Special Features:
- A couple of great dishes, one missjimmyDined on 5/3/2014Had a nice birthday dinner here for my wife. Nice ambiance, it was great sitting near the front to overlook Castro street. Ordered a few dishes: Rolling Duck - Awesome! Xahn Salad - Awesome! Full Moon Wraps - Great flavors, but it's a bit messy. Worth it though. String Beans - Awesome ++ ! This was probably the best value dish ( in terms of flavor and price ) The only miss was the Crispy Calamari. The flavor was pretty good, but it wasn't prepared well. The calamari was NOT crispy, but chewy. Good thing that this dish come in the middle and we ended on a high with the other dishes.Special Features:
- Interesting Asian Food at XahnSandyDined on 5/2/2014Very trendy decor and interesting fusion food. We had a vegetarian person in our group and so ordered the Buddha Rolls which were ok. The satay chicken was great, as were the vegetarian version of the Vitenamese tacos. We also has the Sea Bass, which was not worth the $28. Overall, i would highly recommend this place for especial occasions, as it is a bit pricey. Although it was not very busy on the Friday evening that we dined there, I have seen it totally booked on several evenings. So would suggest making reservations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/1/2014I've been here twice and really liked the ambiance and the way food is presented. I REALLY wanted to love this place but the two times I've been there, the service was so consistently bad, I just can bring myself to ever go back or recommend it to anyone. The servers are very nice but not very good at being attentive.
- Great dinnerAmySDined on 4/26/2014Four of us had dinner here Saturday night for the first time and were pleasantly surprised. All the food was wonderful, we had good service and an enjoyable evening. A bit loud but not intolerable. Love the small plates that can be shared amongst the group.Special Features:
- Great place for lunch/dinnerlosaltosfoodieDined on 4/24/2014Very flavorful food, great lunch buffet. Have been there many times and never been disappointed. Love the green papaya salad and catfish.Special Features:
- Great buffetAahzVIPDined on 4/23/2014Great buffet as usual, I especially love the popcorn chicken. NOTE: the place is very noisy (my meter registered about 80dB) However, it's rude and obnoxious to phone people to remind them about reservations. I made a WEBSITE reservation. I'm hearing-impaired, this will discourage me from coming back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Lunch is always excellent.BeckyDined on 4/21/2014While occasionally annoyed by the super snooty hostess(es), running that gauntlet has always been well worth it for the food. The lunch buffet is fantastic, and is extremely consistent in it's excellent quality. My recommendation is simply to make a reservation (even same day) to avoid the cold shoulder and judgy tone given to every single walk-in by the front desk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is tasty but not too happynotsohappydinerDined on 4/19/2014We are vegetarians so I know a Vietnamese place is not the best choice. But we wanted to try this anyway. Food was good BUT...given the amount you pay the serving sizes are super small. 4 tiny tiny tacos(half the size of the regular corn tortilla) for some $12+ is ridiculous. One serving of rice $4 ? Same for traditional rolls...6 rolls for $15+ ? It was not even gourmet food to be sized that much and charged so excessively. Unless I want to rip off a guy I am dating I wouldn't recommend this. At least not to veggie people, for whom the choice is anyway so limited.Special Features:
- COWCVIPDined on 4/17/2014our waitress was nice but it took 25 minutes to get a salad which we ordered as soon as we sat down. Must have been an off night, but on a Wednesday, it didn't seem as packed as the weekends when the service is better.
- Had better food on previous visitsRipleyDined on 4/17/2014I'd eaten at Zanh Restaurant two times prior to last week. Both visits I was blown away by the delicious and beautifully presented dinner. However, I had the spicy curry this time and it was unremarkable. It was spicy but there really wasn't anything else going on with the flavor. Also, the sauce was runny, really more of a broth so it didn't stay with the food. Very good service. Way too loud indoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PokeyVIPDined on 4/15/2014We enjoyed our meal, even thought we were disappointed that they no longer have the banana leaf salad on the menu.Special Features:
- Great food very noisySandraVIPDined on 4/11/2014Not a place for a romantic dinner. Noise level very high. Presentation is fabulous and food is great. If only they could contro l the noise level.Special Features:
- Bad water,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/9/2014Asked for ice water. The water tasted terrible. The waiter said it was tap water. There water should be at least filtered so it does not taste so bad. Is tap water in Mountain View that bad? Enjoyed the duck but portion could have been a little more.
- Decent Lunch Buffet SelectionrkeatsVIPDined on 4/8/2014Overall the food choices were plentiful and decently flavored. Have only been here for their lunch buffets and have never left unsatisfied. Service is friendly and decor/atmosphere is very trendy. Great location in downtown Mountain View.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantDmitriyDined on 3/31/2014Excellent food and impeccable service. The dish presentation is also great. Expect to pay a bit more but well worth the experience.Special Features:
- Scrumptous!TSilverDined on 3/22/2014Had never been to this restaurant, but the husband had gone for lunch buffet and really spoke highly of it. Party of 4, so we were able to share 4 generously portioned dishes, plus a side dish of eggplant. Had chicken curry, spicy curry, short ribs and glass noodles w/crab and the lettuce wrap appetizer. I really can't say which I liked best, as all were excellent. Made a reservation, table was waiting for us, even though they were very busy. Good service, nice, on top if it wait staff. Can't wait to go back with other friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour dealPhilDined on 3/18/2014Great value for Happy Hour! Good presentation and specialty drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Xanh'sDisneyDaddioDined on 3/13/2014Some of the most refined Vietnamese haut cuisine in Silicon Valley. Very friendly and attentive service. Presentation of dishes is artistic. Fun sidewalk seating by Mt View's pretty Caltrain station. Food balances sweet and savory nicely. Duck roll exquisite. Curry very good.Special Features:
- Great food & ambienceLidiceDined on 3/12/2014The place is nice and the food is amazing, they could use a little improvement on the services side (servers are slow). A definite must if you are in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to brag aboutKhoaNguyenDined on 3/7/2014I took my friends here for lunch. The best way to get in with no long wait time is to make reservation. The service was prompt and professional. I had dinner at Xanh with a bunch of friends before and felt it was pricey and food quality was nothing to brag about. I was told to try the lunch buffet and it should be a better deal. Overall, other than nice decoration and professional services, and again the food was ok, nothing special and make you want to come back for the second time. I you want to come here, there is nothing to say against it but I'm not recommending it either.Special Features:
- BravoPinaDined on 3/3/2014Cathy our waitress was phenomenal. She didn't have to write down our order. She's a good listener and so polite. She knows detas of the dishes and could answer any question we had about the dishes. The guy helping clear dishes was very nice and friendly too. I love the fountains and mirrors reflecting colored squares. Lighting was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still tasty but not as veg-friendlyDrewDined on 2/28/2014Still love the salads and vegetarian rolls, but fewer vegetarian options, and more unhealthy/fatty ones. A delicious lunch bargain.
- Xanh againJMI001Dined on 2/22/2014We tried the chicken skewers but didn't really like them....kind of mushy. The Pho You Pho Me was tasty but the meat chunks and noodles were so big that it was hard to serve and messy. The meat was also really undercooked. We also ordered the Pineapple Short Ribs. They were very good but you don't get a lot for your money. The chocolate mousse dessert was really great and I would order that again. Our service was really attentive as well, after a very-delayed (like 10 minutes) greeting. The food doesn't always bring me back but the Sangria does!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet food in a noisy galleryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2014The courses were prepared to perfection and so artfully presented; such a treat for the gastronome and the artist in me. The service was impeccable and when my 86 year old friend accidently toppled her water glass, we were quickly offered a fresh table. BUT the noise level is dangerous! Its tough to maintain a conversation of any length --because of the need to repeat unheard comments. Bottom line is there is no reason to "linger" and try all the beautiful culinary potentials because the "peace and quiet" of busy Castro beckons! what a shame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.