2317 Calvert St. NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.newheightsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2022344110x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5 pm - 10 pm
Monday - Sunday: 4:30pm - Close
Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Takeshi Nishikawa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wine
- Catering: Contempory American Cuisine by chef Takeshi Nishikawa. Available on request.
- Private Party Facilities: Special banquet menus and semi private dining space available.
- Private Party Contact: Kavita Singh 2022344110x
- Special Events: Private Dining room and conference space available. For more information contact Kavita Singh at 202-234-4110
A word from New Heights
New Heights consistently features innovative New American cuisine. Locals, from Presidents and well-known dignitaries to international travelers, return time after time. ZAGAT dished out top honors for the food, service, and stylish decor. The wine list receives the highest praise awarded by Wine Spectator and Restaurant Hospitality. The award winning architectural interior, original art adorning the walls, airy windows overlooking Washington DC’s scenic Rock Creek Park and dramatic floral arrangements create a perfect stylish atmosphere to enjoy the award winning creative cuisine of New Heights. Intelligent and knowledgeable wait staff add to create a perfect dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
New Heights - Best Restaurants in Woodley Park ›
New Heights reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (41)special occasion (32)romantic (23)great for outdoor dining (21)vibrant bar scene (15)notable wine list (14)scenic view (12)hot spot (8)good for groups (7)great for brunch (5)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)Show More
- I was in DC for a conferencecomurfDined on 3/23/2014I was in DC for a conference while staying at the Omni. This restaurant was recommended by the hotel as someplace I could go by myself. I started in the bar downstairs and should have stayed there. The bar tender was extremely personable along with having a great knowledge of cocktails. When I went up stairs, it appears the hostess was a little too busy, even though the restaurant was not. When I was seated, I didn't get a very warm, welcoming feeling. Then the food really wasn't much to to write home about and I can't really remember what I had.
- Excellent Once AgainHelenDined on 3/22/2014New Heights remains one of the best restaurants in Washington, DC, the east coast, and the US. I can not imagine not going there each and every time I am in our nation's capitol. Bravo for the consistently high quality of the menu, the service, and the elegant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The maître di was the starOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/21/2014The maître di was the star of the show. Accommodating, friendly but not overly, made us feel at home. I had a vege plate as my entree and everything on it was delicious but it was too spare, had or order a side vege to feel like I had eaten. The chicken my friend ordered was amazing. Beautiful space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs Up all aroundVIP2VIPDined on 3/21/2014Go!. If you haven't been in a while, go back. The ambiance creates a comfortable, calming surround without being boring. There is a wonderful view overlooking Calvert and the Connecticutt bridge and a portion of Rock Creek Parkway. Our meals were wonderful and the timing of the service, perfect. The Cod was cooked to perfection and I could have eaten my way through a gallon of the celeriac soup. The chilled fois gras pate was like butter. The little Gin Bar downstairs is an added plus. One can get a specialty drink in a lively setting before heading upstairs.Special Features:
- The drink I ordered was aHotFudgeDined on 3/21/2014The drink I ordered was a little lite on the alcohol and the salad was nothing to write home about. I didn't order any entrée or appetizer so I can't comment on the rest of the food. I thought the salad and drink were overpriced. The staff, however, was excellent.
- Best meal/night in ages!GFHagaDined on 3/11/2014Ths was simply the best meal and overall experience our group has had in a long time. We would recommend a pre-dinner cocktail at the accompanying The Gin Joint (inside or patio) where the libations' quality and character are exceeded only by the bartender's. Following, the dinner experience was exquisite. The service was personable, charming, knowledgable and extremely attentive. And the food ... there is not enough room here. From the 63 degree egg fettuccini to the mixed beat salad to the lamb osso bucco and everything in between, not only can you not go wrong but you cannot miss excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Previous Reviews were DeceivingJenRDined on 3/10/2014I choose this restaurant based on other consumer reviews, as well as the location to the Washington Marriott Wardman Park and Conference Center. I had family in town for a conference, and wanted to take them off-property to a nice restaurant. Additionally I wanted to try something new. In terms of location and the food, they were wonderful. But the service and wait time for the food, was something left to be desired considering it was a Monday and not that crowded. Also the price of the food was a bit much for the small portions, I would have much rather taken my family into DuPont Circle instead.
- Mellow Ambience, Tasty FoodLocavoreDined on 3/7/2014Took my in-laws here. We were looking for good food and a nice atmosphere and got both. The dining is all upstairs with a nice view of Rock Creek Park. We had the root vegetable salad, the fried green tomatoes, the mixed green salad, the celeriac soup, the miso cod, the fluke sashimi, the rack of lamb, and the chicken. The soup was the most delicious thing served to us and my mother in law couldn't stop raving about it. The mixed green salad was surprisingly tasty (the shaved pear and salt made it), and the lamb, chicken, and cod all got solid reviews. My husband was less excited about the fluke, which he described as neither sashimi nor crudo. The service was very good. Our server was knowledgeable and patient. Overall, I recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to bring friendsRenaDined on 3/6/2014If you are seeking a place to bring friends and enjoy good conversation while experiencing excellent service, food and drink, New Heights is the place.
- Good every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/22/2014We come to new heights often as our neighborhood spot. The food is always well composed and well executed. The menu changes frequently enough to keep our interests peaked. It is rare to find a restaurant that consistently executes food and doesn't have a "night off" where they mail it in. The gin bar downstairs is also a rare treat with a very knowledgeable staff who are passionate about their craft without touting their pretentious "mixologist" skills. Just great drinks from people who know their craft and know it well, served with a casual flair and true desire to please the customer.Special Features:
- New HeightsWilliamVIPDined on 2/21/2014Very good overall, fairly priced. Bar area is very noisy. Some noise spills over to the upstairs dining area which is not treated to minimize sound.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Smile Might HelpOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2014Excellent meal, not so friendly waitress.... Especially since almost all tables were open. Would've preferred sitting in the lower level since staff appeared happier.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood venueOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/14/2014We live close enough to walk to New Heights and are never disappointed when we go out to eat there. The food is really good and the establishment owners are so nice and involved with their customers. We are devoted!Special Features:
- Hectic Valentine's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/14/2014The Gin bar downstairs was very noisy upstairs in the restaurant, until about 8. If you dine early, try to get a table as far as possible away from the spiral staircase. Service was perfunctory at best. It seemed as if there was a shortage of wait staff. Our waitperson seemed to be trying to serve half the tables. Food was good. Not the cozy Valentine's Day dinner we were looking forward to.
- The Palate EnjoysTommy13VIPDined on 2/8/2014Each dinner at New Heights is a pleasure. From the fettuccine with pancetta and the egg cooked at 63 degrees, to the osso buco cooked perfectly with a hint of thyme, surrounded halfway with delectable mashed potatoes and a marrow bone with a miniature fork to enjoy the marrow; it was heavenly tasting. The pork en vide and the black truffle agnolotti was delicious as well as described by the other 2 diners. The owner is always interested in his diner's pleasure and the wait staff is knowledgable and pleasant. The beautiful carrot cake ( not typical at all) with a basil sauce and beautiful calligraphy saying happy birthday to our friend was a special touch. We will be back again and again.Special Features:
- Most Amazing Dessert Ever!ChowhoundVIPDined on 1/28/2014Had the most unique and incredibly delicious dessert....carrot torte. The white chocolate genache with a hint of basil, accompanied by carrot sorbet and candied carrots. Light and tasty after a perfectly-sized meal. Fried oysters to start were nicely done. Scallops also delicious. Staff was friendly and attentive. Chef came out to visit after we began peppering our server with questions on the dessert. This was our first time at New Heights. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good but not outstandingRavenDined on 1/25/2014The crispy oyster appetizer was outstanding. Black cod is a nice dish as well. Pork tenderloin - the meat was very nice but a bit small on the portion and the cabbage part of the dish was kind of an amorphous grey, not particularly good part of the dish. The chocolate tso dessert was ok but nothing great -- perhaps par for the course for the smallish, good looking but somehow unsatisfying desserts that seem to be everywhere now days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faded RemembranceEpicureDined on 1/23/2014Having enjoyed many Indian-themed, but eclectic, dinners at New Heights over many years, as it changed its chefs and tweaked its menu, we were somewhat disappointed at a recent return to the restaurant. It seems to have left its thematic roots and become too much like too many other restaurants in its menu choices and preparation. While the host is still as charming as ever, and the service was generally good in a room that is comfortable and distinctive, the food was disappointing and lacked distinction. Perhaps it will improve over the next few months, as we hope, but, at these supra-bistro prices, it is not what it used to be and not what we hoped to rediscover.
- Very nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/20/2014The food was really very good, my guest was pleasantly surprised. The Gin Joint (downstairs) is a real treat too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a place to enjoy good foodgratefulDined on 1/18/2014The raw seafood was expertly prepared and beautifully presented. We had meat courses of venison and osso bucco, and they were delicious as well. The cheeses in the cheese course were all local and regional cheeses, served at room temperature. The wine list was complete and our choice of wines met expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to Return ToAloysiousDined on 1/4/2014Hadn't been for many years, so thought we'd revisit and were very satisfied. Had read mixed reviews, so were somewhat skeptical, but we could not find fault with service, food, ambience. High praise for the veal Osso Bucco. Enjoyed the complimentary offerings from the chef at both the start and finish of the meal.Special Features:
- An old favorite gets staleMairzyDoatsDined on 1/4/2014My partner and I have lived in the DC area since 1986. New Heights has been our tried-and-true choice for great food and lovely ambience in the Woodley Park area. We ate there Saturday night, however, and were underwhelmed by the experience. The space is still beautiful, and service is still fine, but the cooking was uninspired. I had a scallops entree that had brussels sprouts in it. The scallops seemed overcooked and the brussels sprouts seemed undercooked. Nothing was awful, but nothing had any of the five foodies at our table oohing and ahhing and passing plates around for taste bites either. Seems to me chef Ron Tanaka's replacement in the kitchen hasn't yet figured out how to fill his big shoes. I hope that changes soon.
- New Year's DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013A group of friends and myself went here for new years dinner. The service was excellent and the food was cooked perfectly. This was by far the best rack of lamb I've ever had. The employees were very involved in making sure we enjoyed ourselves. We spent nearly 3 hours dining on four courses and never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the grouper which wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013I had the grouper which was overwhelmed by the Brussels sprouts. My wife had the lobster which was excellent. Mushroom soup and foie gras were also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The entire dining experiencefoodieVIPDined on 12/30/2013The entire dining experience was wonderful, wonderful. Umbi continues to strive for excellence in every facet of a restaurant experience. Congratulations!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas EveOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/24/2013Another great dining experience at NH. Terrific for a special occasion.As always, our hosts were terrific --- Fred WoodworthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, over-attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/20/2013The food was excellent. Unique but plenty of selections for even the less adventurous diners to find something they'll enjoy. The service was good, but too intrusive. They interrupted us constantly in an effort to provide "good" service. If they can improve on that aspect, it would be an outstanding place for repeat visits.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to Be RepeatedJLB1VIPDined on 12/15/2013Though we arrived on time, our table was given away to people who arrived with more guests than they had reserved. After being told that our table would be ready in five minutes for over a half hour, we were sat an uncomfortable triangular table through the first course. Our server told us that our meal would be comped for our inconvenience, but after she was berated by a manager in view of our table such that we knew what was being discussed, she came back and told us that only our first round of drinks were free. Not an experience I want to repeat.
- new heights is back!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/14/2013after some not so good food and some great food at New Heights, it was good to discover good to great food again at New Heights! very nice little plates/appetizers! main courses of fish were delicious, wine suggestion by waiter was excellent as was the service. We live in the neighborhood so are glad to have a local excellent restaurant to walk to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How did this fall off my radar?GoodFriendsDinerDined on 12/14/2013Had a wonderful dinner, great wine (waiter recommended), delicious dessert. I am kicking myself for having not been going to New Heights on a regular basis. Haven't been in several years. Would be glad to go back next week, and the week after, and the week after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have made reservations forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/9/2013I have made reservations for the last 10 years at this restaurant. sometimes it is good and sometimes not. I use it because it is convenient for my guests but it is nothing special. the food is ok and very overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New HeightsAndymanm123VIPDined on 12/7/2013Overall still a very nice restaurant in Woodley ParkSpecial Features:
- Food was a disappointmentMarkSKDined on 11/23/2013The restaurant design and ambiance is outstanding as is the service. Unfortunately the food disappointed — particularly for the price.
- Wonderful food and creative drinksSeattletravelerDined on 11/22/2013Not only was the food excellent but the portions were just right, not too large, and the cost was not outrageous. I sat at the bar and enjoyed the experience. The creative drinks, especially gin drinks, was very impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fell short of expectationsaycemanDined on 11/22/2013i had read many good things about new heights which led to me putting it on the list when i visited DC. unfortunately, the food was just OK. a number of the dishes that should have been hot were served warm or cold. this may be due in part to the lax service, which was well meaning but oddly unprofessional. while i could certainly sense the creativity in the kitchen (the gin and cocktail menu alone is one of a kind) at least on this visit they were unable to execute on their vision.
- OK but not as wonderful as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2013The food was nicely done but not exceptional. The service was earnest but a bit clumsy. For example, they brought the hot fettucine appetizers with poached egg, which three of us had ordered, several minutes *before* the cold appetizers that the others in the party had ordered. Consequently, the delicate hot appetizers were getting cold while we waited politely for other members of the party to be served. The server referred to one entree we ordered as "the vegetarian," and we had to figure out that he meant the pasta. Clearly the staff meant well and was attentive; just a bit ham-handed.
- Gin bar with house made tonics,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/13/2013Gin bar with house made tonics, limited menu but all items were well preparedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner near Marriott Wardmanbrb905Dined on 11/11/2013This is a nice place for dinner if you are visiting or have a conference at either the Marriott Wardman or Omni Shoreham Hotels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelously quietgk324Dined on 11/10/2013Fantastic spot in Woodley Park--very good food, fantastic service, and best of all, quiet ambience where you can hear your date talk. Also appropriate for elderly parents who might have a hard time hearing. Excellent choice for special occasions. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findCleoVIPDined on 11/9/2013Excellent food and service. Our server's recommendations were right on! Great girls nite out catching up with a college pal. Beet and feta salad was brilliant. Poached cod dish was delish and light even with black rice. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.