1026 North Highland Ave
Atlanta, GA 30306Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nnnwcorp.com/highlandtap.html
- Phone: 4048753673
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Bert Chapman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Highland Tap
Highland Tap Steak Cellar is Atlanta's premier subterranean hideaway. A haven for local Atlantans since 1989, our stone walls and dimly lit clubby atmosphere is reminiscent of a 1920's speak-easy. Voted Atlanta's Best for Martinis every year since 1989, we offer slow roasted prime rib, hand-cut & wood grilled steaks and fresh seafood as well as burgers, salads and sandwiches. Highland Tap is a timeless venue for any occasion that strives to meet your every expectation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Highland Tap reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (13)special occasion (10)romantic (9)good for groups (8)late-night find (8)great for brunch (5)fit for foodies (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- ATL "go-to" restaurant is fadingATL30309Dined on 1/6/2014What use to be a "go-to" restaurant destination in VA-HI is no longer what it used to be. My last meal did have good calamari and the side of jalapeno grits was great, but the Prime Rib was tough as leather. The service was OK but not warm or friendly. There are too many good restaurants in ATL to take a chance here anymore. Sorry but you have dropped off my "go-to" list, Highland Tap.
- Best steaks and burgers in town!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Always a great bar scene and steak have a wood burning flavor that is perfectly cooked to perfection. Great for group settings, dates for couples. Try the martinis!! Excellent place all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall underwhelmingbwcatlVIPDined on 12/31/2013Both my fiance & I had dined at Highland Tap before, and went back hoping for a similar experience. We were sat by the fireplace which was nice. Overall it was just ok. Issues: 1. We both ordered med rare filets and they were not cooked the same. One is what we consider M.R., the other medium. 2. The server did not return quickly to check if they were cooked to our satisfaction. 3. I asked about how the Brussels sprouts were prepared, and was told they were pan seared with bacon. That made me want to order them, when they arrived they were steamed without bacon and with little to no seasoning. 4. Further, the waitress didn't even acknowledge that the sprouts were not as described. Nothing awful but no reason to go back.
- always greatJessicaDined on 12/31/2013Nothing trendy, just a long-time neighborhood staple, with outstanding martinis and good food.Special Features:
- A Virgina Highland IconOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/20/2013I have been dining at the Highland Tap since 1989. It has maintained it's uniqueness through the years. Great atmosphere and excellent food, especially their steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/19/2013Great neighborhood restaurant with excellent food.Special Features:
- Bread was rock solid. No bigOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/19/2013Bread was rock solid. No big deal got another piece. But last two times I've been in the filet has had an off taste.not sure why every other time it has been very good. It almost tasted metallic ish.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, steaks average.FabulousDined on 11/17/2013good for a light meal or snack and a beverage...something to be desired for the foodie in the group. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent steakKatieDined on 11/2/2013I took my boyfriend here for his birthday as i remember it being a great steak place. The scene was perfect, service great and food excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not The KobeAtlMarkDined on 10/25/2013The service was Ok but our steaks were over cooked and only fair in quality. I ordered their Kobe beef -medium rare. I got a chewey piece of meat with too much fat that was med to med well. My date ordered a petite filet -med. It was better than mine, for a 1/3 less. Still overcooked. I should have sent mine back and given them a chance to make it right but we were going to a show so I didn't have the time.
- Highland Delight50andenjoyingDined on 10/12/2013Service was quick even without a reservation. Food was great and wine list and drinks were good. Would visit again with no problemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistently great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2013I've been coming to Highland Tap for years on my birthday. The beef is outstanding and the service always great. Whenever I want some great prime rib, it's my favorite.Special Features:
- Nice experiencewilapDined on 10/10/2013The spinach salad was good. We all had the prime rib and found it excellent. Our server Michael was wonderful answering our questions and providing excellent service. I did not care for the onion rings as they are overly large and would prefer smaller ones. I will go back again.Special Features:
- Nice Dining ExperienceTWGeorgeDined on 10/5/2013We had a nice dinner and a nice night overall; the service was very prompt and friendly; the menu had lots of options. Our food was very good from salads to desserts. I had read all of the reviews for the awesome Martinis so I had to have one and it was delicious but a little sticker shock at $14. Overall a nice experience.Special Features:
- Always good!FoodieVIPDined on 10/3/2013Consistently good steaks and martinis. Great service. Affordable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a blast!foodieDined on 9/27/2013The food was terrific, the service was great. This is a great place to meet up with friends for a drink or to get a really good dinner.Special Features:
- Went to Highand Tap with twoskbuilderDined on 9/21/2013Went to Highand Tap with two of my brothers early on a Saturday night after sitting at the GTech football game in the rain all afternoon. This was a perfect place to unwind - good atmosphere, great steaks, great service and excellent cocktails. I'll go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent plalce for steaks.ArnieDined on 9/18/2013Highland Tap is in the cellar of the building, down a long flight of starirs, making it a very interesting place to have dinner. The restaurant specializes in steaks and they are excellent. We have been here several times in the past and have always been very pleased with the food and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip the Prime RibElizabethDined on 9/13/2013Highland Tap is shown on several sites as being the number one restaurant in ATL for Prime Rib. Well, I can definitely tell you that is not true. Our server was a gem though, but unfortunately, that won't be enough to make us come back again...
- a must-try restaurantlovetodineDined on 8/29/2013absolutely fabulous martinis and the prime rib I never had betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MartinisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2013We had a great time, food was good and the martinis were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedpeachesDined on 8/23/2013I must say that the drinks and calamari was good. Food was very bland.
- Big fan of Highland Tapnew2atlDined on 8/20/2013Good menu...prime rib was excellent as was the filet. Food was affordable...even if looking for a "special occasion" meal out, this place won't break the bank. Sam Adams drafts are always on special! Service was excellent as well. Definitely going back and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TiredfoodezDined on 8/1/2013This was the first time, and most likely the last time for me - only because there are so many other resturants in Atlanta that have better food and ambience. I felt like I was sitting in a dark cave. The reason we sellected this location was for the prime rib ... advertised to be "best", which at "best" is questionable
- One of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2013Best Martini in Atlanta. Blacked Prime Rib was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is consistently good.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/13/2013Burgers are delicious and they have the best martins in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MerhhDerx007VIPDined on 7/4/2013I've been here plenty for drinks and that is all it will ever be in the future. Food probably works for drunkards, but it wasn't what the group or myself had anticipated.Special Features:
- They are trying to please, but....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2013The food is good quality, but the preparation is lacking. My trout was over cooked and dry, but my friend's was perfect. the vegstables were not cooked enough; all "crisp and no tender."
- Always good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2013We like this restaurant because the food is always great. We feel like it is a special find because it is tucked away on the lower level of Virginia Highlands. It is a bit "dungeoness" but that may be part of the draw for us. The steaks and hamburgers are our particular favorites but the real treat for us is brunch on Sunday. The crab cakes benedict are delicious. Not to be overlooked are the grits. I prefer them plain but you can get them with cheese and jalapenos. Being from the south, I usually try something other than grits on a menu. One person in our family got them, we all took a bite and then we all ordered sides. They are that good.Special Features:
- Pricey for Small PortionsnemotradeDined on 5/28/2013I come to Highland Tap for its Prime Rib. Coming from St. Louis where the Midwest beef is second to none, the King Cut of prime rib here was a disappointment.The single crabcake was pricey for the small portion as an appetizer. And the Prime Rib that I ordered (King Cut) and that my dinner companion ordered (Queen Cut) were thin and half fat. Maybe they had an off night with someone in the kitchen making mistakes. They looked like what you'd get sliced from the roast at the end of a buffet line.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wood Grilled Steaks Better Than EveOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/21/2013Since my last visit (years ago) they have added grass-fed "Brasstown Beef" from a N. GA farm to the menu. Our server suggested the strip steak over the ribeye. My son and I are real carnivores, and this beef was fabulous! We each had an enormous slice of Baileys Cheesecake for dessert -- so big it was first time my grown son couldn't finish. Server's name was Dennis M. He was the exact opposite of a menace -- pitch-perfect service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revisit a classic hideawayB0G0Dined on 5/12/2013My wife and I never went back here because of the cigar and cigarette smoking. Now that they're smoke free, we went back for Mother's Day. Everything was excellent and the staff were great. I had a tender and tasty filet with their signature Mac and cheese. I was surprised by the gritty texture, however it tasted great! I mentioned it to the manager and with some investigation he discovered that the chef used kosher salt instead of fine. He offered another appetizer, but I kept the Mac and cheese cause it was so delicious. My wife and daughter both thought their plates were fantastic. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's Day BrunchCousins2242Dined on 5/12/2013Had a wonderful time with my family for Brunch on Mother's Day. Kid friendly, great staff and delicious brunch menu.Special Features:
- Outstanding as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2013Chip and the gang always provide a wonderful dining experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steaks!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2013This place is truly special. It's not too fancy or pricey, but you get a nice steak, and the food comes out to order within a reasonable time. This will always be our go to option on nights or afternoons when we really want a good steak but do not want to deal with a snooty waiter and sommalier. Can't beat the location or the bar scene. The waitstaff is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, great food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/27/2013Had a fantastic time at Highland Tap for my birthday. The service and atmosphere was GREAT!Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/2/2013I've been coming to the Highland Tap for several years now for drinks and it's always a great place to stop by. Recently I've been for dinner a few times and have also had great experiences both with a very nice steak and this latest trip to try out their almost famous hamburger which was incredible. Easily one of my top 5 favorite in Atlanta. Great service, great food, great atmosphere and right in the center of the Virginia Highlands, what's not to like? Will be back again soon!Special Features:
- Retro Steak Night!AngelaDined on 3/30/2013Underground, super cool spot for classic steak dinner. No pretense, no attitude, just very good steak (including regional, grass fed options!) and perfect gin martinis (with blue cheese olives). Try it, you will like it.Special Features:
- great steaks and burgersHairdVIPDined on 3/23/2013For years I have been getting the amazingly wonderful Tap Burger and had not tried the steaks. For the first time I tried the Tap filet. It was wonderful. on par with any excellent steak restaurant.Special Features:
- This used to be a really niceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/23/2013This used to be a really nice night out with a good martini and a good steak. They have changed the menu to emphasize Georgia grown foods which is fine. The small filet was average at best. The au gratin potatoes were cold and still in the square shape from the pan they were cut from. We received no bread with our entree (again they have changed to a more Italian ciabatta bread and olive oil from the old loaf and honey butter. This used to be a good night out once a month for us, but we have no plans to re-visit again.