Malbec - Toluca Lake
10151 Riverside Dr
Toluca Lake, CA 91602Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $30 and under
Malbec - Toluca Lake
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.malbeccuisine.com/
- Phone: 8187624860
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Sunday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Steakhouse, South American
- Executive Chef: Pablo Alcorta
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Malbec - Toluca Lake
Argentina is world famous for its cuisine. From homemade salads, pastas and fish to an abundant selection of our signature grilled meats, Malbec Argentinean Bistro brings you the best authentic cuisine prepared on our genuine Argentinean grill.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Malbec - Toluca Lake reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)romantic (22)fit for foodies (20)special occasion (18)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (14)good for groups (11)great for lunch (10)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Fun for a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Went for my birthday. They were very accommodating with our fairly large group which was nice. My only real comment is that the food was good but not great. The empanadas were very good, but my steak was only ok, and my poached pear dessert was not great at all. Too much clove. My friend's affogato was better as was the chocolate mousse. We did get a last-minute reservation for a big group when our plans changed, and they were very nice. We'll go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificant MalbecFoodloverDined on 9/26/2014This place amazing . The service we received from server Karen was outstanding. She was delightful, energetic and very helpful. The skirt steak Chimmicurri was amazing and tender , just like we ordered.. We came here to celebrate 2 birthdays and had the best time. You have to come here and try this place. its amazing.Special Features:
- PerfectHatGirlDined on 9/16/2014If you are looking for a nice place with great food that isn't too casual but not too fancy this place is perfect. Pretty ambiance. Great place for a dinner meeting as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malbec is Magnificent!FoodloverDined on 9/13/2014The FOOD IS OUTSTANDING! My husband had the grilled skirt steak with chimichurri with roasted veggies.. out of this world,, tender, juicy and grilled to perfection! price was 24.00 approx but well worth it. DELICIOUS! I had the grilled wild salmon.. delicious. it melted in your mouth.. tasty and delicious with the roasted veggies and mashed potato. We will go again. and again and again!!! This is our new found favorite place to dine.Special Features:
- Great food & service!tiramisuVIPDined on 9/7/2014I had the delicious and moist salmon. My friend had the huge and wonderful chicken canelones smothered in cheese and sauce which was enough for 2 meals. Bread and tapenade were nice too! Great service as well.Special Features:
- Fun FindMulbytimeVIPDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I wanted to get out of our neighborhood and find something new and fun to try. We went over to Toluca Lake to try Malbec, and were so pleased. It's a quiet, intimate little restaurant with delicious food, nice service, good wines and in case I forgot, delicious food! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014Meat dishes, Appetizer for 2 and dessert Crepe were quite good. Pasta with fish was a complete disappointment. Shellfish was very overdone and would not recommend at all. Service was OK but should have been been more attentive.
- Fabulous, as alwaysgaleforcewindVIPDined on 8/24/2014I love the service, food and wine here. I've never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great food, but a bit loudbfrombosDined on 8/23/2014Really enjoyed the food, I had gazpacho and the filet with peppercorns, both excellent. My daughter ordered the crepe with portobellos and started with the carpaccio, which was also great. The waiter accidentally delivered ravioli, and noticed after, so my daughter got to try both (as well as to take home some leftovers!). She blessed both dishes. Finished up with flan, which was also very nice. We sat outside because inside was so loud. Some trouble with smokers a few steps away on the sidewalk. Definitely would return despite the noise.Special Features:
- MehMojoDined on 8/22/2014Over all it was good, not great. The food was average, we were a party of 6 celebrating a birthday. My wife ordered her Lamb Med, it came out undercooked, which had to be sent back after trying to flag down the server. He hadn't checked on us once the food was served to the table by kitchen runners. Our friend had something called the Napolitana, which she barely ate and commented that Meatloaf would have had more taste. The wine we ordered was good and those in our party that ordered dessert liked it. The Sangria was really good, but not enough for a return visit. Overall, the experience was Meh.Special Features:
- Quite good, but quite loudPinaBergerDined on 7/25/2014Malbec is genuinely good. Food is really good, especially if you like Argentinian cuisine, which I do. I just wish it was a bit quieter. To be fair, we were there on a crowded weekend night, so lots of people trying to talk above the din. I guess I just wish that the music was turned down, or off, as it certainly wasn't doing anything but adding to the overall noise level. Still, very good restaurant and I would definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- impressed by the menu choiceLucyVIPDined on 7/20/2014we went for the DineLA special prix fix, and the choice was wonderful and the food delicious...Lucy
- Great atmosphere!postDined on 7/16/2014The place was dark and nice, perfect for a nice relaxing dinner and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2014Went there for DineLA week - great discovery: Awesome service with authentic food choices!Special Features:
- Argentinian FoodmajelaneDined on 7/14/2014The wine was great and the dineLA menu was delicious. The service on the other hand, could have been better. The restaurant wasn't packed but we saw our server maybe three times throughout the meal. The other wait staff were great to help pick up the slack but I was definitely more impressed with their Pasadena location. For dinner for two, the time it took for out salads to come out was surprisingly long - like they forgot about us. Looking back on it, I probably should have said something because other than that, the meal itself was divine. Large portions and they even have a back room for groups.Special Features:
- Gem but service doesn't matchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Restaurant has all the right mix of ingredients to be an "Urbanly" neighborhood gem. HOWEVER, it lacks the key ingredient of personalized, friendly serve staff - service was like a big chain restaurant. Totally caught off guard when our waiter's demeanor is that he was in a HUGE rush - Three times, he answered our question then said, "I'll be back" - So ordering process took about 20 minutes. Because all the dynamics were on point, I told my friends that we would try one more time on a week night when maybe they are less busy and can give me the attention I expect - I just don't want to feel like I am a burden when I am out dining - dinner for two at $150.Special Features:
- Delicious findAussieMarlsDined on 7/12/2014We wanted to try a place we'd never been, not far from home. The menu looked wonderful. It was even better than expected. The staff was friendly, the food was wonderful. Their chimichurri sauce is to die for, the creamed spinach was glorious. My wife loves creamed spinach and didn't mind paying extra to have it replace the steamed spinach that came with her entree. I'm not a fan of creamed spinach, but even I loved it. Well worth it. Both our entrees were perfectly cooked per our requests; salmon for me, beef tenderloin for her. Our favorite dessert is creme brulee and this one was beyond perfect. With cinnamon and citrus flavoring it was fresh tasting while knowing it was so rich. Perfect end to a great meal. We'll be going againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & Excellent TapasFoodieDined on 7/11/2014The staff is extremely helpful and accomodating. Great at helping decide on food and wine too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsDinedailyDined on 7/8/2014An amazing find in Toluca Lake, they always have a well rounded selection of exciting dishes to please everyone. The food is top notch and the service attentive without being intrusive. My only less than perfect review is the wine selection which is too weighted towards high end wine of the same type. Not a Pinot noir to be found by the glass for example and what is available other than by the bottle is both too expensive and generally not worthy of a second glass beyond the price.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious!TomCDined on 7/6/2014We had a really delightful dinner sitting outside. Service was excellent. The risotto and filet of sole were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!!!!!!Shillet1523Dined on 6/26/2014Just went here for the first time for my 30th birthday. We loved everything. The food, ambience and service were all great! Highly recommend the melted cheese/garlic/tomato appetizer, the skirt steak and the garlic fries.Special Features:
- A good spot for a meeting.StreetCriticDined on 6/24/2014I have had a couple of business meetings at this location. The food and service are both good. I don't know Argentinian food well so I can't speak entirely to how it stacks up against the competition. But the meals are enjoyable and the staff does a great job at hustling and understanding when is an appropriate time to approach the table to take your order.Special Features:
- The following 68 reviews are from the Malbec - Toluca Lake reviews archive.
- Brunch brthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/1/2014Great service and staff. Met the manager who was very friendly. Bread and chimichuri dip were awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood cafeValleyAllyDined on 5/29/2014I've been here a few times and the food is always well prepared, the wine selections tasty and the staff nice. It's nothing surprising but it is a reliable neighborhood place. I highly recommend experimenting with the small plates/appetizers, as there are some real gems you might not otherwise find on the menu.Special Features:
- JJ32Dined on 5/29/2014Another great dinner at Malbec, Toluca Lake. You can count on their consistent great food and service. One star short on the service as unfortunately the waiter handling the front desk had given away my 'detailed' requested table outside and the restaurant was only 5% full. We had a dog and it's easier on all if we are in the back on the patio. However, our waitress Jillian was GREAT, very informative about the menu and wine selections and friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2014I love this place. My wife and I have had provoleta, beef carpaccio, apps. both great. the salad with prociutto-wrapped shrimp. great. the salmon and the skirt steak are great. but my favorite is the bacon-wrapped filet mignon. awesome! and the wine specials have been great every timeSpecial Features:
- StaceyKDined on 5/18/2014The food here is always excellent. My favorites are the skirt steak and the salmon. Discovered a new favorite dessert this time: the crepes with bananas and berries is amazing. Great atmosphere and friendly staff.Special Features:
- Amazing!!Djr124Dined on 5/14/2014So delicious from start to finish! Loved the empenadas and the bread pudding rocked! Can't wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Hip ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/13/2014Delicious pasta. Fresh, high quality ingredients in a chic setting. Portions are generous. A great pre-theatre spot.Special Features:
- NoniDined on 5/11/2014We found Malbec on line when looking for a Mother's Day dining spot. What a great find! They couldn't have been more accommodating. Our corner table on the patio was like having a private room. And the food.....so fantastic that every one of the "foodistas" in our group was raving!! We want to try everything on the menu...so we WILL be back. A million "YUMS"!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Service!ImnofoodiebutDined on 5/7/2014The service was great! The food was tasty. A group of coworkers and I went for a lunch and we all ordered the Carne Sandwich from the main menu. It was yummy! We did not feel cheated with the portion sizes and the quality of the food. of The service was great. From the time we walked in until the time we walked out, the server and hostess was very attentive to our table. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love it!PastorVIPDined on 5/5/2014The food is very good and the service is generally first rate! The bacon wrapped filet is ridiculously good!Special Features:
- good findsourdoughDined on 5/2/2014I've been meaning to try Malbec. Had some samples at the Toluca Lake Open House event one Saturday and the food was great. I wasn't disappointed. The service was excellent, staff was very friendly and the food was really good. I hope to be back soon.Special Features:
- At the top of my list...JoeyDined on 5/1/2014From Santa Barbara to Los Angeles, Melbac is one of my top choices for fine dinning. From the subdued atmosphere and excellent wine list, from the wonderful selection of cuisine and from the excellent staff, all the staff, Melbac is a five star restaurant in my book….. I always can count on a fine experience at Melbac.Special Features:
- MiraVIPDined on 4/26/2014Average restaurant, nothing special. And it is way way too dark there, please fix the light ;) I know it makes that romantic atmosphere and everything, but it was even hard to find my husband and I did not drink lolSpecial Features:
- DebbieDined on 4/26/2014There were lots of interesting choices on the menu and there were several specials. I wanted to try almost every dish. The entrees were delicious and the corkage fee is a modest $20.00. The desserts were really special--do not miss the apple crepes and the chocolate mousse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Malbec pleases againLaurelCanyonGirlVIPDined on 4/22/2014This small but vital restaurant, tucked into a burgeoning restaurant district in Toluca Lake is well worth the visit. Food and service are excellent - ambience is lovely, but can be loud and bustly when the place is full. Some of the appetizer/salad portions are easily shared and everything is fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- Mmmm SteakluluVIPDined on 4/19/2014One of the best steaks I've had in Los Angeles besides Mastro's Steakhouse. So goodSpecial Features:
- JJ32Dined on 4/15/2014Great dinner spot. Like the varied daily specials. Staff always tries to accommodate special requests and are very friendly. Food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at BestPaulJAlessiDined on 4/1/2014I have hear good things about Malbec Argentinean Bistro and decided to get it a try. I made reservations on a Tuesday evening at 7:30PM. Walking in the atmosphere is cozy and dark. When the host arrived he was very pleasant. The service was going well until we were serviced our main course. Then gone until it was time for desert. The busboy did keep our filling my glasses with water with I do like. We each had a meat dish and I must say that the the food was average at best in my option. Best part of the meal was the appetizer we had beef and chicken empanadas. We favored the beef. For desert we had the Sorbet which started out good but after the first bite we noticed that is was mostly freezer burned ;-( Not sure I will give it another go.