La Vecchia Fontana
700 First Ave
Avalon, NJ 08202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Vecchia Fontana
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lavecchiafontana.net/
- Phone: 6099677708
- Hours of Operation:
Serving dinner daily at 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bujar Daku
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from La Vecchia Fontana
La Vecchia Fontana brings fine dining to the shore. Beautifully located a block from the beach in Avalon, New Jersey, La Vecchia Fontana brings a breathtaking Mediterranean style ambiance to the Jersey shore, complete with an elegantly infectious Southern Italian seaside villa decor. La Vecchia Fontana prepares deliciously authentic and classic Italian cuisine served with charm and smile, where guests can let their hair down, relax and take a vacation from their vacation. Bring your favorite bottle of wine and an appetite for classic fine Italian food and homemade desserts and get swept away at La Vecchia Fontana.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
La Vecchia Fontana - Best Restaurants in Avalon ›
La Vecchia Fontana reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (61)fit for foodies (38)special occasion (33)good for groups (30)romantic (13)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- We enjoyed it so much we areFunInTheSunVIPDined on 7/9/2013We enjoyed it so much we are meeting friends there this week. La Vecchia has a nice selection on the menu. A little bit of everything for everyone. Coffee was hot & delicious. A great selection of desserts. Most restaurants only have a few.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/7/2013I've been to at least 3 of the other La Fontana's and this was the worst. Wasn't approached by a server for at least 10 minutes. We started with the calamari as an appetizer and immediately asked for more Marinara realizing it wouldn't be enough to cover the portion. Waiter came back and said he would be charging us for the extra side of marinara. I'd bet the meal the owner isn't Italian. That's a disgrace. This set the tone for the rest of the meal.
- Wonderful Food!soxfanDined on 7/6/2013The food at this restaurant, the latest of the Fontana series, is excellent, and we had a very experienced, extremely pleasant waitress. My only complaint is the noise level...it is very loud. I think some acoustic panels would go a long way in this restaurant. We will definitely go back, however, because it is conveniently in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- But for the noise...acpandfamilyDined on 7/5/2013Everything about La Vecchia Fontana was very good to outstanding EXCEPT for the noise level. The fried calamari was very tender and the breading was more like tempura than breading. Between the eggplant parm. with a side of spaghetti marinara, the spinach and egg fettucini with shrimp, and the baby veal medallions with roasted peppers and potatoes, we couldn't decide which meal was the best. The only down side was the high noise level; could barely talk among ourselves. For dessert we shared the tiramisu and something similar to an orange eclair. Both were outstanding! So if noise doesn't bother you, then definitely give La Vecchia Fontana a try.
- New in AvalonluvhhiDined on 7/2/2013La Vecchia Fontana took over Avalon Rose and did a nice job creating a new atmosphere. Unfortunately, removing the "padding" has created an unbearable level of noise making it hard to hear your dining companions or server. And there is so little space between tables that you almost become one with your neighbor and people must scuttle sideways to get by. The saving grace--the food was really good. Tasty Caesar salad, mussels, Veal (Fontana and Francais) were delicious. Clams in white sauce over linguine were good with fresh, delicious pasta but lacking any residual sauce. Being so new, it was disappointing that attention to some details were missing (burned out down lights, spotted menus and a need for professionalism at the hostess desk).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service a bit slowMinzkee78Dined on 7/1/2013Good food, service a bit slow but it seems they are just working it out because it is new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2013La Vecchia Fontana has a wonderful dinner menu with delicious Italian food. The only issue was that we had dined at La Fontana Coast earlier this year and found most of the menu items were the same but the portions and prices were noticeably different. The Sea Isle City and Avalon restaurants are very close in distance. It was disappointing that they would charge higher prices In Avalon for the same items and the food portions were smaller. If we had not dined at La Fontana Coast, we would have had a different experience. The Avalon restaurant is smaller and has a different dining atmosphere. If you are staying in Avalon and don't want to leave town, I would recommend trying La Vecchia for authentic Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/30/2013This is a new location for this local group of restaurants and they need to improve the overall dining experience. BYOB-good. However, entrees in the $25-$35 range that do not include a salad are overpriced, especially considering portion sizes. The flavors of the were boring. Small dining area, very loud. Restaurant 75-80% full, yet kitchen and wait staff seemed overwhelmed. A one time visist for us.
- Real Italian Food!allenDined on 6/30/2013Repeating their success in Strathmere and Sea Isle City, Fontana's newly opened LA VECCHIA FONTANA brings the true tastes and flavors of Italy to the southern end of Avalon! From the fresh fishes to the pastas to the house made Tiriamsu, you will believe you are dining in historic Roma or in the hills of Tuscany! DO NOT MISS HAVING A MEAL HERE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/28/2013The food was excellent and the service was very good. The noise level was loud, so loud you could not talk in the restaurant without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is too bad that the smallnonnycarolannDined on 6/15/2013It is too bad that the small size and the acoustics of the room cause an extremely loud atmosphere. It will prevent us from dining again there. This was a Saturday night so it was busy and the room was full. The pasta we had was delicious and very authentic and the young man who served us was very attentive. However, the dipping oil we were given before dinner was bland, not a tasty extra virgin olive oil as you would expect at this price range. That was a disappointing feature to us at the start of the meal.
- HORRIBLE NOISE, TOO MANY TABLESOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/15/2013TOO MANY TABLES IN A SMALL SPACE VERY VERY VERY NOISEY HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE WE COULDN'T HEAR THE PEOPLE AT OUR TABLE SPEAK, LET ALONE HAVE A CONVERSATION UNBEARABLE MENU NOT AS GOOD AS SEA ISLE RESTAURANT
- La Vecchia Fontana AvalonOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2013Food was very good, service was acceptable. Very crowded small space and very, very loud--they really need to do something about the sound. Nicely decorated. Probably would not return because of the above issues--and the prices are way over the top--even for Avalon. I never understood why restaurants feel that they can gouge folks just because they live or vacation in Avalon.
- Great Food and Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/9/2013The food was outstanding, as expected as having ate at their other 3 locations (Strathmere, Sea Isle City, and Philadelphia). The food is consistent at all three locations. I was a little apprehensive about the location because you probably would not know about it unless you are familiar that their is a restaurant in the old Avalon Hotel. The updates made to the location are great, making it a nice ambiance, again making it a consistent feel to the other 3 locations. The food is outstanding and I will definitely be back. You can never go wrong with a great BYOB!Special Features:
- Delicious Avalon additionJoeSDined on 6/7/2013La Vecchia Fontana is a welcome addition to the dining scene in Avalon which is often times much like the amateur hour. This is a professional and customer friendly place to dine, and they are entitled to the reasonable prices they charge. Except for the noise level, which was high, everything about this new restaurant is first-rate - the food (delicious), the service (friendly and efficient), and the decor (rustic but airy). It is clear that the owner, who has two other restaurants on the Jersey shore, knows what he is doing and has mastered the art of food service well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.