La Vecchia Fontana
700 First Ave
Avalon, NJ 08202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Vecchia Fontana
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lavecchiafontana.net/
- Phone: 6099677708
- Hours of Operation:
Serving dinner daily at 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bujar Daku
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from La Vecchia Fontana
La Vecchia Fontana brings fine dining to the shore. Beautifully located a block from the beach in Avalon, New Jersey, La Vecchia Fontana brings a breathtaking Mediterranean style ambiance to the Jersey shore, complete with an elegantly infectious Southern Italian seaside villa decor. La Vecchia Fontana prepares deliciously authentic and classic Italian cuisine served with charm and smile, where guests can let their hair down, relax and take a vacation from their vacation. Bring your favorite bottle of wine and an appetite for classic fine Italian food and homemade desserts and get swept away at La Vecchia Fontana.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
La Vecchia Fontana - Best Restaurants in Avalon ›
La Vecchia Fontana reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (55)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (29)good for groups (26)romantic (10)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Food; Excellent ServiceGMRCAMVIPDined on 5/4/2014The specials at LaVecchia Fontana are always interesting, unusual fare, prepared to perfection. The service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPamelaDined on 4/26/2014I have dined here twice. The food is outstanding with a great selection on the menu as well as specials. Lovely atmosphere. BYOB - a favorite for me. Bring a nice bottle of wine and you're set for a special occasion with a small group or a romantic dinner for two. My husband raved about his dish of veal medallions with roasted vegetables in a wonderful sauce. Said it was the best veal dish he's ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out.hiddengemDined on 4/19/2014Everything was just great. The staff was wonderful (even though there were a few of them working their first day). The food was excellent and many choices. Everyone at our table of 6 chose a different entrée and we all loved our dish. We definitely will go back again with friends and family. Great place and the price was very reasonable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2014The food and service are as good or better than any restaurant in Philly. Everything is always fresh. Most occasions, I don't even look at the menu, but order from their specials which are always exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian Food in Avalon!BatFamReviewsDined on 4/18/2014We've dined here twice in 2014 already and the food is delicious! The restaurant is a small BYOB and definitely worth the visit. We recommend reservations as it can get quite busy. You are certain to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERBJerseyansVIPDined on 4/12/2014Hidden Gem in Condo Complex in Avalon! Travel 45 minutes to have their pasta specials. Heard they own two others restaurants in the nearby towns. Highly recommend this restaurant to All!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed our meals, but...galkelVIPDined on 4/12/2014... we had to wait almost a half hour beyond our reservation time to be seated. This could be a problem "in season".
- Good Food but at Avalon PricesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/28/2014We had a pleasant meal at the Avalon NJ location of this Italian byob. The food was better than our last meal at their Philadelphia location. The dining room is pleasant and not beachy which is nice. Problem is prices are very high given the food that is served. Had a spinach gnocchi special with shrimp and scallops but at $36,00 not worth it. There were not that many shrimp or scallops. It is still pasta! Octopus appetizer was good and priced ok but still at the high end. The prices overall are higher than Phila location. Understand that Avalon is a market where you can command those prices but at those prices we will not frequent it often even though we own a home in Avalon and are there on weekends and other times throughout the year.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but overpricedfoodieVIPDined on 3/15/2014In typical Avalon fashion, the food was mediocre at best, completely average, but the prices are exorbitant. Our 2 salads came to #30! The entree prices are usuall for Avalon but the quality was simply average.
- Typical Shore RestaurantsteakloverVIPDined on 11/2/2013Have dined here on several occasions. Went last weekend because only Italian that was open in the off season. Ordered the special pasta which was outstanding, but disappointed when got the check and was charged $37 for a pasta dish. Even Il Mulino in New York City does not charge that much for pasta. I guess I should start asking the price of specials which I never do. Did have an enjoyable night as the place was quite lively. Wait staff seemed a little overwhelmed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent nite outJAvalonDined on 11/2/2013This is a very popular restaurant with the older, upscale crowd. Tucked away in a corner of Avalon that you would not see unless you know its there, the dining room is attractive, but not large. It fills easily on a weekend nite, with dressy casual diners. Everyone in our party of 4 much enjoyed their food. The Italian offerings are diverse. My traditional veal parm was perfectly prepared, and the side pasta was al dente and hot. Excellent service. I'm always concerned when the waiter doesn't write out the order, but it all came exactly as requested. The only negative would be a high noise level. Its pricey also, but that's always ok when the food and experience is worth it, as this is. Looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMPV1VIPDined on 10/26/2013Great food! Probably the best Italian at the beach. You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- on the plus side - the foodbitemeVIPDined on 10/26/2013on the plus side - the food here is very good - in fact, some of their sauces and soups are outstanding; also, the servers are always pleasant and very attentive considering that it gets very crowded in the evenings on weekends. on the negative side - the prices here are very high - even for Avalon, which we always expect to be higher than similar restaurants in the cityI would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmmmm, mmmmm, good!R4ReservationDined on 10/5/2013Never disappointed with food or service! Their pasta, risotto, veal, seafood, salads are all wonderful. Actually, everything is! They also have terrific specials each time we have been there, which was around 8 times over the summer! We only wish they would open another restaurant in Stone Harbor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food,! TerrificR4ReservationDined on 9/29/2013Wonderful food,! Terrific service! ...music & noise level too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise+BlueHen76Dined on 9/21/2013We were warned about the noise level and LVF did not disappoint. Even at 6:30pm, the place was packed and the decibels up. Convenient walk to location if you live in Avalon's north end. Easy parking. Good Italian at Avalon prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but......Eric44Dined on 9/14/2013This was not my first time to La Vecchia Fontana and it won't be my last (best Italian on the island) but my wife and I had a reservation for 7:45pm on Saturday night and we had to wait 55 minutes to sit down. We knew there was an issue when we pulled up and saw about 25 to 30 people waiting in the lobby. I am not sure if they over booked or not but something was not working - they did bring a complimentary appetizer to the table for us and offered us wine glasses to have a drink while we waited. There was a party of 3 that came in and had an 8:15pm reservation and they sat down before us.....the hostess said that our table was not ready yet? You do not seat a party that has a reservation after someone - I don't care the size of the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited one hour and 5 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2013I've been here twice. Food was great both times. Last Saturday (9/7) we had an 8 o'clock reservation for 4 people. When we arrived, the lobby was packed with people all of whom also had reservations as early as 7. We waited for 1hour and 5 minutes for a table. When we finally were seated, a complimentary antipasto was placed on our table as an apology for the wait. Nice touch but the damage was done. Although the food is very good here, I would not recommend until they solve the reservation problem.Special Features:
- Food was good but the restaurantLauraDined on 9/7/2013Food was good but the restaurant was very loud, I often could not hear what the person across the table was saying. I thought that LaFontana in Sea Isle was quieter -easier to talk with those in our group.Special Features:
- Great food!!JacquiLDined on 9/6/2013Food does not disappoint...we've been to all but the Sea Isle "Fontana"s and the food is just outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Delight for AvalonRSVPVIPDined on 9/2/2013Food was wonderful, staff very accommodating. Glad La Vecchia extended their reach to Avalon from Sea Isle. A wonderful replacement for the much missed Stella Rose. Labor Day Weekend was very hectic with less staff on hand. This should be addressed in advance by taking fewer reservations. Some had to wait an hour after their reserved time to be seated. Fortunately, we changed our time to 8:15 & only had to wait 15 minutes. Hopefully, not a problem during regular season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All four of our entrees wereEllie12Dined on 8/28/2013All four of our entrees were delicious. Service was excellent even though our waitress told us she was doing double duty as hostess and waitress as they were understaffed because students had returned to college.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to Avalon diningJoeSDined on 8/25/2013La Vecchia Fontana is a great addition to Avalon restaurants. The food is consistently delicious, and the service is top-notch. The only problem continues to be the noise level, which I believe they know, and the wait for a table (even with a reservation) on more popular nights (they need to book their second seating times a bit later). I just hope they stay open through the fall and maybe weekends in the winter too !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and fabulousGMRCAMVIPDined on 8/21/2013Excellent food and fabulous service were reigning at this restaurant. A few items were sent out to our table, complements of the chef, including a delicious antipasto plate. Even though LaVecchia is BYOB, we were served a delicious, refreshing after-dinner drink. While there were noise-absorbing tiles on the ceiling, it was still noisy due to two large groups surrounding our table. I think the Fontana group has opened another WINNER.Special Features:
- We always enjoy going to LaFontanapeachesDined on 8/20/2013We always enjoy going to LaFontana restaurants. The service and food are always excellent! They always remember repeat customers and treat them very well. We know we can bring guests there. They are always consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale shore diningBillDined on 8/15/2013Good menu and some great specials. Very pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDineAdvisorDined on 8/15/2013Tucked away under a condo complex is a great little restaurant. Seemed little a lot of regulars this night. Very good food great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Italian food in Avalon.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2013The best Italian food in Avalon. Really enjoyed our meals. Service ws outstanding. It was a little noisy, but that did not bother us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2013One it our favorite restaurants at the shore... And the best of the Fontana restaurants. Great menu and ther specials are always creative and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal - Loud RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2013We had an outstanding meal (Chilean Sea Bass and Veal Chop) The owners need to put up some acoustic panels on the ceiling to try to absorb some of the noise. That is the only downfall we say about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & service!R4ReservationDined on 8/7/2013We have never been disappointed with the food or service at La Vecchia! The risotto dishes, lobster ravioli, veal, eggplant parm, frutti de mer, & homemade gnocchi are all fantastic! However, we give it low ratings in ambience because the noise level is not " energetic", it is extremely loud! Not really a place to enjoy a quiet dinner. Last weekend they had entertainment---2 women with lovely operatic voices, but, once the restaurant became 2/3 full, their voices were almost impossible to enjoy, even just as background music. That all being said, we will definitely return, because the owner & wait staff are very friendly, good, & accommodating, and the food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bigeye's ViewBigeyeViewVIPDined on 8/6/2013Excellent Italian fare at reasonable ( for the NJ shore) prices. Our table of three enjoyed soft shell crab, lobster ravioli And talapia. All portions were very tasty, carefully prepared and of generous proportion. Waitress was attentive and helpful in explaining ingredients, sauces, etc. This is the best of a long line of restaurants at this location and is on par with its three older siblings ( Citi in Phillie, Coast in Sea Isle, La Mare in Strathmere). Like them the noise level can be very energetic even when the restaurant is not completely. full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealSophiaSpeaksDined on 8/5/2013My third time at La Vecchia was another outstanding dining experience. Again, the service and food were excellent. Again, the noise level was a bit too high to have comfortable conversation . . . neither of us could hear each other the first time we said something. Also, the tables were pretty close together . . . which was not a bad thing because we ended up having recurring conversation with the two women sitting next to us. BUT, if there had been a large table . . .or someone fussy, loud or obnoxious next to us, it would have been hard to ignore. For those reasons, I wouldn't consider it a romantic or special occasion place for a couple. All this criticism aside, I intend to return as regularly as I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were big fans of La FantanaGeorgieDined on 8/4/2013We were big fans of La Fantana del Mer, but we had moved to Stone Harbor 5 years ago. The number of decent restaurants in the area did not compel us to drive back to Strathmere. It was wonderful to see this addition to the 7 mile island scene. The combinations of fresh sea food and pasta were wonderful and as we remembered them. Open all year La Vecchia will be a frequent destination for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously ItalianJerseyansVIPDined on 8/2/2013Traveled an hour to try this restaurant...The food was excellent and the portions were large. I never eat pasta out, but we had two superb pasta dishes......Can't wait to revisit to try another dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/30/2013La Vecchia Fontana is a welcome addition to dining in Avalon- the home of overpriced, mediocre restaurants. The two veal dishes that we had were excellent (I could cut the ossobuco with a fork!), as was the spinach salad. We will certainly be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad signageAvalonBobDined on 7/28/2013Had trouble finding this restaurant. It turns out I was right in front of it but didn't realize it until I called the restuarant! They leased a space inside the lobby of a condo building (formerly a motel). There is no signage that's really visible from the street, especially at night. The entrance is shared between the occupants of the condo building and the restaurant. It's a little dim and not vibrant enough for restaurant guests. Inside, though, they created a beautiful atmosphere. It has a real Italian feel to it. The service was impeccable and the food was delicious. I give this restaurant high markings but recommend better signage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge disappointmentMikeSDined on 7/27/2013I have been to most of Bujar"s restaurant and was always very pleased but what a disappointment this was. From the long wait with a reservation to the less than average meal to the deafening noise in the restaurant led to a terrible night out. I wonder if Bujar even visits this location as it not the way any of the other locations are run. Beinging an Avalon resident for 20 years the thought of not having to travel out of town to enjoy a good Italian meal was a welcomed change. Needless to say looks like I still have to leave town.
- It's just okSoHungryVIPDined on 7/24/2013I often dine at their Sea Isle and Strathmere locations. I was so excited that they were opening in my beach town. However, after dining there three times, it is not nearly as good as the other locations. Hostess is very unfriendly - never even saying hello or smiling. Doesn't exactly make me feel welcome. I thought my meal was expensive. $35 for seafood pasta dish is more than most other items on the menu and it was just average in taste. I don't plan to return.
- Food was excellant and theJoeyDined on 7/20/2013Food was excellant and the restaurant is very nice inside. The noise level made it difficult to enjoy the experience. It was so loud I could not hear the waiter recite the specials. I hope they can do something to alleviate this problem.Special Features: