12 East 31st Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://juninyc.com/
- Phone: 212-995-8599x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shaun Hergatt
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Juni
Juni is Chef Shaun Hergatt’s boutique restaurant celebrating the height of the season, within Manhattan’s Hotel Chandler [12 East 31st Street]. An intimate affair between the guest and the chef, the 50-seat restaurant offers a seasonally evolving menu showcasing the bounty of the harvest and ingredients when they are at their freshest and finest. Juni derives its name from the Latin word for “June,” the heart of the season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Juni reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (147)special occasion (117)romantic (91)notable wine list (59)neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (34)hot spot (20)good for groups (11)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Superb ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/9/2013Starting with the Fall Cocktails, which were unique and tasty, we had a wonderful evening. Competent service that was immediately there when we wanted it but that wasn't hovering at all. The food was simply exceptional - likely one of the best meals that we have had in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite place in NYCFoodieDined on 11/8/2013I must say that both the presentation and taste is excellent here! The chef is extremely creative and the food tasted just as good as how they looked. It really is my favorite restaurant in NYC now. Cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new findLesPenseesVIPDined on 11/7/2013Love the food and love the ambience. Very refine and interesting composition of taste.Special Features:
- Beautiful artfully crafted dishes!RoulovesfoodVIPDined on 11/6/2013Artfully done dishes! 6-course tasting was just right. Attentive service. Comfortable seating in small intimate setting. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did the 10 course tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/5/2013Did the 10 course tasting menu. Was anxious to try Shuan's new venture. Very different from Sho Shaun - more complex and clearly a different course from his previous french asian fussion. True to the new seasonal ingredient theme. Service spot on. A must for anyone that wants a real NYC dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special chef / dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/5/2013We had a sublime lunch experience at Juni recently. All agreed that the food was excellent - starting with the fabulous celery root soup with black truffle and berkshire pork belly appetizers, to the atlantic salmon w/quail egg and hanger tenderloin main courses, and ending with the rich flavorful sorbets, hazelnut dessert, and roasted pineapple w/fabulous yogurt. The exception was the butternut squash main course which was just ok. Garnishes were beautiful and complemented the food well. We had enjoyed the chef Shaun Hergatt's food at his prior restaurant, SHO Shaun Hergatt downtown, so we were curious if Juni would meet the same level of excellence. We're happy that it does. We will return for lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try to eat this new restaurant!HisabonDined on 11/4/2013Very good combination every dish. Unbelievable ! Chef is like a artist! Try tasting menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Fine Dining" in a coffee shopDemandingDinerVIPDined on 11/4/2013The food would have to be far better than it is to offset the two drab dining rooms, the aggressive pricing and the somewhat awkward service. No wonder the place was half empty at prime dinner time.
- Service was impeccable andJennyp88VIPDined on 11/1/2013Service was impeccable and food was outstanding. Creative cocktails and good wine list. We had foie gras, egg and truffle, striped bass and squab. My squab was slightly undercooked in one piece of breast.Special Features:
- Terrific foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2013Defintely one for foodies. The chef is extraordinarily inventive, but beware of the prices and the portion sizes. We were in the mood for that experience, so we loved it. But we also went there for lunch, which is the best value in all of New York. Flavors abound. Just expensive for dinner...and they need to offer a glass of wine for a reasonable cost. $17 for the cheapest glass is insanity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trust ShaunOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/1/2013Juni is an exquisite treat - I've never had a bad experience in a Shaun Hergatt house. Food, service, setting - all perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the cloudscathychouVIPDined on 10/28/2013Our guests were in the clouds over this delicious dinner. The most beautifully presented and divine flavors we have experienced in a very long time. We love Per Se and this is that level of cuisine without the pretentiousness.. A bargain at the price.Special Features:
- The food presentation andLoveNYCdiningVIPDined on 10/28/2013The food presentation and taste was excellent. The ambience left a little to be desired. Went for lunch and too much wait staff. Also the wait staff needs more refining, for example, would reach across you. Definitely would go back and try dinner. It has the makings of a fine restaurant.Special Features:
- Juni experienceLuluDined on 10/26/2013A memorable food experience that I will remember for a long time. The service was wonderful and the food was outstanding. I had the 10 course tasting menu and would highly recommend it. I have a wheat and gluten allergy and the menu was adjusted to my allergy. It was beautiful to look and and delicious to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, not fine dininglikestoeatVIPDined on 10/25/2013The food is good and well-presented but the service staff needs more training and the decor is awful. This is not a fine dining experience and therefore I feel that the cost of the meal is excessive given the overall experience. The tables are crowded together and my guest was bumped by every person that walked by her. The restaurant is in the Chandler Hotel which is in a seedy part of mid-town.
- Best Meal I Have Had in Years!MarkLokiDined on 10/24/2013Our lunch at Juni was fantastic! The quality of the food, the top-notch service and the beautiful ambiance made our dining experience exceptional. I recommend this restaurant without hesitation.Special Features:
- Top 5 meals ever!RogerVIPDined on 10/21/2013This dinner was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. The plates looked like fine works of art and tasted even better. The service was perfect. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Juni is fantasticWinesnob7Dined on 10/18/2013Shaun Hergatt really hit a home run with Juni. Esquire magazine never seems to steer you wrong when the pick the top new restaurants of the year, and they were certainly on track with Juni. Shaun personally came to each table that ordered the truffles. All in all - just a fantastic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPatriceDined on 10/15/2013I would give it 6 stars if possible....everything was prepared and served with pride and care. It reminds me of Eleven Madison Park. OutstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUBLIME!CymcymDined on 10/12/2013Juni is really an amazing dining experience. Very chic and really catered to all details. A plush stool for your purse so it does not rest on the floor! First time ever for this! The food was just exquisite. I cannot begin to describe. The flavors and the mix of flavors just incredible. This is a dining experience. Not to just get filled with massive quantities of food. Beautiful presentation. Timely service. Just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FINE DINING IN A COFFEE SHOPfinedinerDined on 10/11/2013Kudos to the chef. Everything we ordered was amazing both in preparation and plating. Service needs work. No one offered us coffee or tea. The pace was rushed despite empty tables. One service director offered a taste of a special wine to go with one of our dishes but then charged us when we had been given the impression that the "taste" would be on the house. Needless to say a bit off-putting. My biggest complaint is with the decor. We spent close to $600 on a fabulous meal served in the coffee shop of the Hotel Chandler. The least they can do is place a linen table cloth over the ugly utilitarian tables. The decor is awful considering the quality of the food. Don't bother to dress nicely. Not a venue for impressing clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long timeRafo45VIPDined on 10/10/2013Prix fix lunch was ridiculously cheap. And the branzino was the best meal I've had in months. Presentation was awesome, like a paint, and the combination of sauces, colors, vegetables, seeds, etc., was amazing. Branzino has a crust to die for. Dessert was also outstanding. Salad was also artistically presented but I'm not much of a salad person.. though it was fresh and cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top spot in New York. Bargain lunchemelianDined on 10/8/2013My wife and i visiting from Australia saw Shaun on TV so looked up Juni on the internet and when we saw a 3 course lunch for $35 we booked. Food was superb as was service and space. Dont go here looking for traditional fare nor American size meals. This is modern food using fresh but sometimes up expected ingredients and combinations. We enjoyed it so much we went back for lunch the following day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Lunch in ManhattanTeenabeanDined on 10/8/2013Lunch in Manhattan doesn't get any better than this...from the minute you enter, you know you're in for something special...and then you see the food, and you think you can't eat it...it's simply too beautiful...then you take your first bite...and you're already mentally checking your calendar for when you can come back...thank you Chef Shaun...we will definitely be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first contact at Juni,zazie86VIPDined on 10/8/2013My first contact at Juni, in the Chandler Hotel on East 31st Street, was the hostess, a real pro. She responded to my seating request for a booth; my legs still didn’t have enough room. All of Juni’s staff was equally professional and attentive. The intimate restaurant’s décor had a soothing effect. I had trouble understanding the menu; too many dashes on one line, and I had no clue about some of the “ingredients.” I thought that the price was fair for a 2-course and a 3-course meal. Each course appeared before us like a work of art, particularly the dessert of chocolate, sweet potato and bay leaf. My biggest problem was that the plates were so big and white; each course offered a gorgeous presentation, none very substantial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingwinedineDined on 10/4/2013I had a wonderful experience at Juni. The food was so amazing, I never made it to Sho but I am sorry I miss out. I loved the little things as well. The olive dip/spread on the table for bread, the three amuse, all out standing little things that make dinning out special. The service was on point, Charlie answered all of our questions and had some great recommendations on dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went with a friend who isJoseVIPDined on 10/1/2013I went with a friend who is also a foodie and oenophile. The food and service did not disappoint (although the final bill did a bit). Having gone to SHO, we expected more ambience. The restaurant is on a bit of a seedy street in a hotel that was nice and recently decorated but nothing fancy. The food quality was comparable to Eleven Madison Park, and similar to French Laundry in that you get a lot of small portions. They definitely need to do some work making the ambience and setting more in line with the price tag, it's not romantic, but at this price point it should be. If you can get past everything non food related, and are simply looking for a culinary experience, this place is worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcuisiteSoomVIPDined on 9/27/2013Spectacular meal with panache and imagination. Perfect service.Special Features:
- Delicious food off the beaten trackjon613Dined on 9/25/2013The Hotel Chandler's Juni offers fine food in a great setting, with a very (perhaps overly so) solicitous staff. It's still flying under the radar, so is a great spot for lunch in Murray Hill. Since the menu changes weekly, plate recommendations may not be as helpful, but the slow cooked salmon was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food only gets better and betterthreecrayonsVIPDined on 9/24/2013The food at Juni just gets better and better. You cannot believe that a kitchen is putting out the quality of food like this. While others have given up on fine dining, Chef Hergatt has not, and makes the experience notable. Service has improved considerably, and they are on their game. Lunch is a deal, but should be used as an entrée to dinner.
- Chef Shaun Hergat hasn't missedMandBVIPDined on 9/21/2013Chef Shaun Hergat hasn't missed a beat from SHO to Juni. The food was comparable to his 2-Michelin star SHO and presentations perhaps even more artistically beautiful. Service was impeccable and showed Chef Hergat's demand for perfection. We were pleased to see familiar faces, Jason (wine), Juan (table service). Our disappointment was the space itself. While SHO was a beautiful space Juni is disjointed. We were disappointed in the lack of cohesiveness and informality (no tablecloths). Whereas SHO had a great view of the kitchen Juni has a view of hotel patrons dragging luggage through the lobby and peering into the restaurant. Despite the "Jackets Preferred" policy the diner across from us was wearing a day-glo tee shirt and sneakers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discreet hidden endeavorblueiguanaVIPDined on 9/21/2013Juni tries hard to deliver a toptier dining experience but in an unexpected part of NYC. Fantastic service. Delicious food but a little too fancified for our taste, but creative and beautifully-presented (did you really want an actual cockscomb served with your chicken dinner?). Beautiful room - only complaint was the noticeable loud noise whenever the a/c kicked in. Interesting cocktail list - love the icebars instead of ice-cubes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oy! Oy! Oy!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/20/2013Wow! I can't believe I blew off going to SHO... Don't make a similar mistake, this Aussie chef has some major skills and articulates himself in a very individual way. IMHO, the best defy classification, and this dude fits that bill. Everything was phenomenal.Special Features:
- Elegant new restaurantSavvyVIPDined on 9/18/2013It opened last month in boutique hotel on 31st st. It is a lovely setting and quiet venue to enjoy excellent price fixe ( $30. or $35. For 2 or 3 course) business or social lunch. There were 3 choices of appetizers as well as 3 entree selections with one of each being vegetarian. We enjoyed the delicious salmon and the pork tenderloin and the desserts were amazing--unusual and delicious ( such as corn gelato and beets that tasted like candy with gelato as well. )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food excellent, service goodthreecrayonsVIPDined on 9/17/2013food is spectacular. thoughtful combinations of flavors, crunch and momentum. service needs polish for a restaurant of this caliber. sometimes I feel if I don't order wine during lunch they look disappointed. but the food is spectacular, and these VERY minor issues should not deter anyone from going.Special Features:
- Best dining experience!aisunDined on 9/14/2013Dining at Juni is not just about the food, it's about having a great dining experience. The food is exceptionally flavorful and beautifully presented. It is of course matched only by the noteworthy service. Well worth the splurge, and I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at JuniPhiWDined on 9/13/2013We would highly recommend this fine dining restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food!Luv2dineDined on 9/12/2013The food at Juni is amazing and the service is impeccable. Will def go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth Waiting ForOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2013Chef Hergatt was absent from the NYC restaurant scene for a while. He has returned with a bang at Juni. The food is superb, the waitstaff excellent and the room elegant and blissfully quiet. Juni is a wonderful addition to the NYC restaurant scene.Special Features:
- Ever-growing Fan clubGastrognomeVIPDined on 9/12/2013I introduced several gentlemen to this fine restaurant for lunch and they will all be back for more and with more -- that speaks for itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.