12 East 31st Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://juninyc.com/
- Phone: 212-995-8599x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shaun Hergatt
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Juni
Juni is Chef Shaun Hergatt’s boutique restaurant celebrating the height of the season, within Manhattan’s Hotel Chandler [12 East 31st Street]. An intimate affair between the guest and the chef, the 50-seat restaurant offers a seasonally evolving menu showcasing the bounty of the harvest and ingredients when they are at their freshest and finest. Juni derives its name from the Latin word for “June,” the heart of the season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Juni reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (146)special occasion (118)romantic (88)notable wine list (55)neighborhood gem (39)great for lunch (31)hot spot (20)good for groups (10)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2014The food, ambience and service are wonderful. Every morsel of food was fresh and filled with flavor including the fantastic bread and butter. The combinations of herbs and spices were just amazing. I highly recommend this restaurant for an upscale and exceptional dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodkaroDined on 7/18/2014It was a wonderful experience , with outstanding food, service and presentation. The combination of taste was innovative and interesting ... One downside that AC was too strong so if you intend to go in summer take a sweater !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative but maybe pretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/18/2014I found the dining room too understated and actually somewhat sombre (for my tastes). The service was attentive but not particularly warm. The food was really inventive, the portions were very small -- I had to eat again later (and I'm not a big eater). The chef was in the dining room - chatting with some "important" man (they spent time talking about their mutual friend Robichon - and going on about other pretentious stuff). After he left that table - no smiles etc. at any of the other tables. Last time I went to Eleven Madison Park, Daniel Humm visited every table. I had a lovely quick chat with him. Next time I'll go back to Eleven Madison Park/Jean Georges/The Modern/or Le Bernardin - my experience there have been more genuine.
- Hergatt is at the TopthreecrayonsVIPDined on 7/16/2014The food at Juni is some of the best in NYC. There are only a handful of 3 Michelin star restaurants in NYC, and this should be one of them. this is what I said about EMP when they only had one star. And presto! Food coming out of the kitchen is magic, and most importantly it tastes amazing. The deserts are exceptional as well. These guys are at the top.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply greatnybebbiVIPDined on 7/15/2014I agree with all the previous raving reviews. I have to entertain quite a lot for lunch and I have eaten in many restaurants in Manhattan. This is a true gem which stands out in any respect: Food, service, atmosphere. Enough said: Just try it out for yourself.Special Features:
- Fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2014Nice fine dining option with creative and approachable food.Special Features:
- Extraordinary ExperienceTravelJunkieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Dining at Juni is an extraordinary experience, from the superb food to the flawless service. Everyone at Juni made us feel like honored guests. The topper on the cake is the brilliant and engaging chef Shaun Hergatt. We've dined at all of the top restaurants in NYC (Per Se, Le Bernardin, Daniel, Jean-Georges, Eleven Madison, etc.) more than once, and in some cases several times, without ever meeting the chefs, but at Juni we met Chef Shaun on both visits and he greeted us warmly on our return and shared his thoughts about his creative process. For us it's mainly about the food, and if it wasn't superb a charismatic chef would not make us rave, but Juni is the real deal - creative delicious food, excellent wine and so much more.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Food is outstanding in the mixture of textures, flavors, colors and presentation. Worth dining before it gets known !Special Features:
- What a treat!heathmyVIPDined on 7/8/2014Just enjoyed my third fantastic dinner at Juni. Ambiance is zenlike and each table feels very private. Service is friendly, ultra-professional, and unhurried. The food is magnificent--I am still thinking about the incredible "cherry ripe" foie gras. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Micro Dining...almost.FEEDbackerDined on 7/4/2014The chef's approach is borderline micro dining. All items are excellent but very small. Some tastes are tiny. We enjoyed many new creations where the chef had developed a new way to present a food or taste that was sometimes, visually unrecognizable and when you tasted it...a surprise. It reminded us of our experience at Geranium in Copenhagen. It is considered one of the top restaurants in the world but is extreme micro dining and not something we expected. I was similarly surprised to find some micro dining at Juni. I think restaurants with extremely creative chefs who are trying to reinvent food, should make that very clear in advance so you will arrive at dinner prepared for a culinary adventure rather than a hearty meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Deliciousdek116VIPDined on 7/4/2014An amazing meal, beautifully thought out and prepared. One of the best meals I've ever had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/4/2014The food was great. I love the place. This is a good place for family or friends gatherings.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/2/2014One of the best. Fabulous art of creation not only visually fantastic, but also tastefull meals, including the entirely vegetarian, light, healthy meals. Perfect service, very comfortable setting. Perfect.Special Features:
- The following 173 reviews are from the Juni reviews archive.
- UnsurpassedfeasterVIPDined on 7/1/2014Juni is the only restaurant in Manhattan to which we return regularly. My list of restaurants is ever expanding; not one has been able to come close to the creativity, balance, nuance, intrigue of Juni. Here is a chef who loves to cook and awaken his guests to taste, texture, aroma, presentation; who knows and respects his ingredients; who is playful yet serious. No need for me to recite the marvelous dishes we had. Most will undoubtedly have changed in a subtle way. After the nine months, the cuisine is hitting all high notes. Unfortunately it is too late for Michelin; deserves three stars. The space is serene if not beautiful. As for service, it wouldn't take much for the staff to recognize you had dined there before. Seems basic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply DeliciousJudyHDined on 7/1/2014From the moment you step into Juni you realize that you are in for a very special experience. Amazing designer food using seasonal meat, fish, vegetables and fruit. Truly relaxing and sophisticated dining, topped off by attentive , knowledgeable staff and a superb wine list and quirky cocktails. Simply Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence and memorable...KalhelnycDined on 6/30/2014Sure all restaurants claim to be the best: EMP, Daniel... etc. However, Juni, is a new standard. The food is amazing, service is impecable and the night unforgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special experiencehungryVIPDined on 6/30/2014We went to Juni for my boyfriend's birthday and were blown away by the food. Each course we ate felt both familiar and surprising at the same time. The presentation was beautiful. The service was friendly and knowledgeable without being cloying. The black truffle balls amuse bouche were to die for; the halibut with basil puree outstanding. The chef came out and said hello--clearly he has his heart in the restaurant and food which makes it all the more special. I rarely take the time to write reviews--but if anyone is reading this, I highly recommend that you visit this restaurant!Special Features:
- thoughtfulwalkieVIPDined on 6/28/2014very thoughtful food pairings and flavor combinations...the menu could be more descriptive, but we were pleasantly surprised by the combination of tastes and textures.Special Features:
- Flavor explosionsPhoodophileDined on 6/27/2014Absolutely loved Juni. Such an inventive restaurant. The food is so exquisitely prepared with intense but balanced flavors. Not a restaurant that the masses can appreciate, but if you are a serious foodie you will love this place.Special Features:
- cardonVIPDined on 6/27/2014This is an outstanding restaurant in every respect!Special Features:
- Great for a special occasion!BreeVIPDined on 6/27/2014Took my husband here for his birthday dinner - we had a great time!! Food is creative and amazing! Go out of your normal comfort zone a little, you won't regret it. They have a fun and unique beer menu too. Definitely a great place to celebrate!Special Features:
- A-MAZINGJHenDined on 6/26/2014Shaun Hergatt has done it again - this creation of his is spectacular. I was a fan of SHO Shaun Hergatt, so sad when it closed, but he has really taken it up a level with Juni.Special Features:
- INCREDIBLE!OliaVIPDined on 6/26/2014It's one of hidden gems in the city and lunch is the best deal in town. It's great for special occasion but the price is fantastic for a casual lunch. The presentation is awesome and the taste is so intricate and subtle that you want continuously prolongate the pleasure. It's also so beautiful like a piece of art. I would definitely recommend to try at least once although you will want to come back many timeSpecial Features:
- Aussie chef in the houseJohnnyeyeball4dogsDined on 6/25/2014We had a wonderful tasting menu at this beautiful Manhattan establishment. The talented chef had such a varied mixture of pre-tasting options that we anticipated a great meal & he delivered! The chef even did a table-side demonstration The fish was impeccable. The veal was served 2 ways: delicious tenderloin and great sweetbreads. We had a great night Very expensive so be prepared to break the bank! ~300 USD per person!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply divineOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/25/2014Five stars for the food, wine, service, ambiance, and all around hospitality at Juni. Amazing flavor profiles on the creative dishes. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchmarcha8Dined on 6/19/2014Nice experience of vegetarian food, and we are not even vegetarians. Didnt miss the meat at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant EVER!nina310Dined on 6/18/2014I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. The best Halibut I have ever had. Wait staff was excellent. Wished I lived closer.Special Features:
- Very pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014This restaurant was so different from anyplace else we had eaten. The menu was so creatively designed and the food was full of surprising flavors and so beautifully presented. Every plate they brought to our table looked like a work of art and everything looked so modern and tasted so fresh. The "amuse bouches" that came before our meal were little explosions of flavor and texture in your mouth. Amazing. The main courses were elegant and so delicious, I considered dropping something on the floor so I could lick my plate when everyone went under the table to look for it! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a quiet, peaceful atmosphere and a novel approach to dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindDandG2VIPDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I loved the pre dinner canapes and the attention to detail on all of the courses. We both did a 6 course meal and at the end we were both full. If we could do over we would get the 4 course meal instead. My favorite was the crab/corn appetizer, the flavors were amazing. My husbands favorite was the veal tenderloin, tender and juicy. It's a little pricey but the portions are substantial. You can also pick from a selection. I did 3 seafood while my husband chose 3 meat dishes.Special Features:
- Great food but strange settingraidocVIPDined on 6/13/2014Based on the fact that this restaurant is attached to a Hotel (which we did not know beforehand) the patrons and therefore ambience were mixed. From with tired businessmen dining alone and working to other tables of patrons very well dressed, having fun. This is relevant as for a restaurant that professes to be the best of the best, ambience matters. The room itself is very small, with an over supply of very attentive waiters and bus boys which again made the meal rather impersonal as they just stood around looking at you. Having said all of the the food was exceptional and just for that the restaurant stands out. Its a set menu with multiple course each one more creative than the other. Also the wine list was remarkably good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the 5 Best in New York CityImeanitmanDined on 6/11/2014This is my neighborhood; a vibrant local culinary scene, convenient to both uptown and downtown restaurants. Yet, when I'm in the mood for superb food, I find myself coming back to Juni. The room's a little bland, but it's not about the room: the cooking here is EXACTLY what fine dining should be. World class ingredients, immaculate culinary technique (both modern gastronomy and French classic), beautiful presentations and, most of all, Chef Hergatt's incredible palate. His food just tastes SO good. Balanchine described perfection as an artwork where one could neither take away nor add to it without ruining it; that's how Hergatt's plates work. Easily one of the top 5 restaurants in town - up there with Boulud, Keller, Bouley, Vongerichten.Special Features:
- Amazing!TherickDined on 6/9/2014Worthy of two Michelin stars, definitely check this place out. They accommodated all food allergies and service was impeccable. Chef came out to our table to talk about the dishes and the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2014The service at Juni is impeccable. Especially our waiter (wish I could remember his name) was funny, accommodating, we'll versed in what the food was. The food is just such an experience on its own. But the staff made it even more special. The chef even came out for a photo with us because we had taken a class with him before he opened Juni.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow and wow againCJCbostonVIPDined on 6/2/2014Second visit in a month. A place to show how food can be creative, delicious, beautifully done and beautifully presented. Each dish has this depth of flavor that is always great, occasionally amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Australian ChefPreorAfterTheatreVIPDined on 5/31/2014Chef Shaun Hergatt is a brilliant food artist! His presentations are beautiful & his creativity in food is amazing. I have been to many of the fine, highly rated NY restaurants & I rate this alongside Eleven Madison Park in terms of quality and presentations, and above Grammery Tavern and Per Se, for example. We had the chef tasting and wine pairings. The pairings were excellent. The location on 31st between Park and 5th is central and easy to get to. It was not overcrowded and was very quiet for visiting. The service was attentive and exquisite and never interrupted our conversations. This is a great find. I am surprised it has not been totally discovered yet since it opened 9 months ago. One of my favorite dining experiences in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!ChicagoTraveller99Dined on 5/28/2014Had dinner at Juni this week for a special occasion. Our server recommended that we try the 10 course tasting menu as it was our first time dining. Boy am I glad we did. First the food.. Started with appetizer course, each little bite artfully presented in a unique way. We paired wine and had generous pours of very international selections - perfect compliment for each course. The larger courses (fish, lamb, frog legs) each was better than the last. Chef came out to prepare one corse at our table and was chatty and very friendly with us. Desserts were just enough to close out a lovely meal. Service was amazing - friendly and extremely attentive. We'll definaltey be back! check Juni out before it becomes impossible to get in.Special Features:
- Top 10JcalVIPDined on 5/26/2014Juni will rank among the top 10 in NYC! The food, the prsentation, the service are all Michelin Star quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Juni in SpringSueMDined on 5/26/2014Brilliant, that's all - just brilliant! Oyster leaf "appetizer" stands out -- along with foie gras "cherry ripe" appetizer. I smiled broadly simply at the food!!Special Features:
- First time at Junireh1166VIPDined on 5/23/2014My wife found Juni and let me tell you how grateful I am that she did! If you love fine dining and a chef and staff that are absolutely at the top of their game, Juni is for you. Each dish is presented more beautifully than the next and the layering of flavors was outstanding. We will make sure to eat here for each menu change (I believe it is seasonal) - it is also a great place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food + AtmospherefoodloverVIPDined on 5/22/2014Lunch at Juni was an incredible treat. Perfectly prepared and presented. Delicious!! What a surprise to walk into a nondescript exterior awning into a well-designed, soothingly decorated room that screamed "special occasion." The prix fixe at $30 or $35 (with dessert) was a great value too with all of the accompaniments of a fine restaurant (great bread, extra dessert, etc). Will definitely go back for lunch again and can't wait to try dinner!Special Features: