3241 M ST NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bandolerodc.com/
- Phone: 2026254488x
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen Hours: Monday - Wednesday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Saturday: 10:00am - 12:00am, Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Tony Starr
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Bandolero regularly hosts events and lively happy hours. Check twitter and facebook for updates.
A word from Bandolero
Opened May 24, 2012, Bandolero is a modern Mexican restaurant in the heart of Georgetown. The two-story, 5,000 square foot, high-energy space reflects a Day of the Dead motif, and plenty of bar space to imbibe. The menu showcases classic Mexican dishes with untraditional flavor profiles, including dips served with housemade chicharones and masa crisps, tacos, taquitos, enchiladas, empanadas, and quesadillas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bandolero reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)good for groups (34)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (20)neighborhood gem (17)late-night find (11)special occasion (8)great for brunch (8)romantic (7)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- DisappointingFla954foodieDined on 4/17/2014The food was over salted and barely warm. When I complained to our waitress of the over saltiness of my son's meal, it was as if she was a deer in headlights. All she did was say "I'm sorry" and walked away. She didn't resolve the issue right away or ask the manager to come see us. The food is over priced for the amount, quality and overall experience. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
- every dish was fabulousarockVIPDined on 4/12/2014plenty of creative vegetarian options, which is rare for mexican places. great flavors. guac portion was small. but, we had 2 dishes per person, and were filled... not the 4-5 per person that they recommended. downstairs is really noisy, but if you get a table upstairs, especially near the window, it's much more quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serverspringcustomer2014Dined on 4/11/2014The server was not very respectful nor willing to work with us on how we were splitting the check nor was he receptive/ nice when we asked him a question as to why he brought us the chips and salsa without us asking for it and later charging us for it.
- After hours serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/10/2014We came in as the kitchen was closing and instead of booting us they offered up free drinks and a personal walk through everything we wanted to know about the menu. Dealing with last minute customers is a hassle but they handled us well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were rushed outNicoleDined on 4/5/2014We had a reservation for 7:30 pm for 5 people on a Saturday night. We were seated around 7:40. Then our waiter went missing for a good 20 minutes, and was not very nice when he took our orders. He left our check (without asking if we wanted dessert or more drinks) around 8:50, and at 9 pm he asked us to leave while we were still finishing our dishes! He said there was another reservation that needed our table. We had only been there for an hour and a half, and I made this reservation weeks in advance! He also tried to include a 20% tip on the bill, even though we were only 5 people and the menu said nothing about a 20% tipping policy. The food was good, but we were not treated well! Beware!Special Features:
- A pick off Yelp. Mike IsabellaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2014A pick off Yelp. Mike Isabella and the menu served as the tipping point. Great food and nice service. Unique and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good (as itSusanDined on 4/3/2014Food was very good (as it usually is), but a particularly busy, noisy night. Service was great at beginning of meal, but hard to get attention later. Took forever to get coffee and check. We'll certainly go again, but earlier.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/30/2014A fun place to enjoy small plates and fresh margs with friends! We went on a rainy day Sunday and the food and great service was exactly what we needed to end a crappy weathered weekend. The host let us take our time and to enjoy every bite and moment with good friends. Thank you Bandolero :)Special Features:
- Avoid the Mahi mahi tacosTony65yVIPDined on 3/29/2014The suckling pig taco was excellent. The appetizers such as guacamole and ceviche were all delicious. I was really surprised when a deep fried, heavily breaded mahi mahi taco showed up with little to no flavor and no resemblance of what sucha flavorful fish. It was so bad I didn't finish it.Special Features:
- Loved it!Megs1986VIPDined on 3/29/2014My boyfriend and I wanted to try somewhere new and were amazed by the gorgeous ambiance, delicious margaritas and excellent service! My favorites were the mahi mahi tacos and steak tacos! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014I went with a group of friends to celebrate a birthday. It has a vibrant and energetic feel. The food was great. The pork tacos and brussel sprouts were particularly good. The margaritas are really good. I look forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place for great food!PabsDined on 3/22/2014This is a tapas style Mexican restaurant with a ton of unique dishes. I absolutely love the brussel sprouts, mahi mahi tacos, and skirt steak. And everything else is great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/18/2014Great food and drink in a relaxed environment. Happy hour specials were great and would recommend this place to anyone who like good food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's our waiter?RookieFoodieDined on 3/15/2014The decor is notable and definitely a hot spot for social 20 somethings (which we are), but I immediately felt old as soon as we sat down. It was so dark I had to hold the menu near a candle to read it and it was so loud we spent most of the meal asking each other to repeat. All of that could have been forgiven because the drinks were strong and the food was pretty good -- at least the items we received. Our waiter was attentive for about 15 minutes and then seemed to end his shift without telling us. 2 of our items just never showed-up. No one noticed.Special Features:
- Nacho Mama's EnchiladasAutumnDined on 3/14/2014Most imaginative south of the border cuisine since Jacque and Herbert went to Cabos on vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, OK foodNeilDined on 3/8/2014Stopped by this place because it was fairly new and it looked nice inside. The good: Portion sizes for tapas were actually fairly good The bad: Food was just mediocre, IMO
- Queso FundidoMichDined on 2/22/2014I have been to Bandolero four times, three of which to impress my friends from out of town with a solid DC restaurant. This past weekend we went and got the brussels sprouts, steak tacos, tuna tacos and.....queso fundido....times two. It was a great dinner with good friends and a fun waiter. Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and servic but deafeningDCTasterVIPDined on 2/21/2014The food here is great but even upstairs the noise level is hard to take. Love the guac and ceviche.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre...VegFoodLoverDined on 2/16/2014We were excited to bring an out of town visitor to Bandolero but were disappointed. The service was very poor- we waited 25 min for margaritas that we ordered right when we sat down! The drinks were not worth the wait either- the pineapple margarita tasted like something I could have easily made at home with some canned Dole juice. We also waited a long time for our food- but I think this was more a waitress issue than kitchen because once it finally started arriving it came out nicely timed. The food was good- lots of spice, decent portions, a couple veggie options. Overall we were disappointed in a spendy meal with poor service and below the quality you would expect for a known chef.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Terribly LackingDCAfoodieVIPDined on 2/16/2014The food: Really great and inventive, albeit overpriced. (It's tapas-style, and this restaurant ascribes to the new trend of running up the tab while serving smaller and smaller portions, siomething that young restaurateurs need to just get over already.) The service: I had to call the manager over to let them know that our server had gone AWOL for the 30 minutes since we were seated, no food orders taken in that time. In an effort to make things right, we ended up with THREE people taking care of our table, with a good degree of confusion ensuing from crossed wires and lack of communication. No matter how good the food is, at that price point, you need to be 100% on your game - and, for that reason, I more than likely won't be returning.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014The waiter recommend his favorites and he was definitely right on target, they were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, terrible serviceKateVIPDined on 2/14/2014I took my boyfriend to Bandolero to celebrate his birthday (which just so happens to fall on Valentine's Day). It took our server FIFTEEN MINUTES to even come over and say hello. By then, we were ready to order our food and drinks. She offered zero apology for the delay and then took another 15 minutes before someone brought over our bottle of wine. We received our food--- and it was delicious. We loved every dish-- the flavors and presentation were excellent. Our server did not once came back to check on us. The food was spicy and I ran out of water and no one came over to refill our glasses until after our food had been finished. I was appalled by the terrible level of service (and overheard other tables complaining as well).
- Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Tapas are always a great choice for date food, and Bandolero did not disappoint. They are a bit expensive (~$12 per plate), but the food is very flavorful. The service is good, and there's a great ambiance. I would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bandolero was good, thoughjsweatDined on 2/14/2014Bandolero was good, though a little pricey for Mexican (even upscale Mexican in Georgetown). The fish tacos and butternut squash tacos were excellent and the side of crispy brussel sprouts were delicious. The plantains, however, were below average - tough, underripe, and flavorless. The portions were also much larger than we expected. The server said it was tapas and suggested 2-4 dishes per person. We had two appetizers, two orders of tacos and two sides and were stuffed. Overall, it was good and I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- great tequila list, good foodfatboyDined on 2/14/2014Went her for Valentine's day. Dinner started off well, service was great and friendly the whole night. The waitress helped us disect the tequila list. The food is served tapas style, we ordered 4 for the two of us which was more than enough food. Every dish was good but HIGHLY recommend the Mussels Cazuela, definitely the highlight of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definition of Average.AshleyDined on 2/1/2014I went to this restaurant when it first opened and it was incredible - everything from the food to the service was spot on. My second time back was not so great. Our food came out cold and some of it tasted stale. There were four items that we ordered (to be fair, one was a dessert) that they were out of, so we had to settle for some items we were not very excited about. The service was mediocre as well, as we were always trying to find our waitress to get more drinks or to order more food. I have to say our first experience so great this was a massive disappointment. If you're looking for average service and food, this is your restaurant.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014The food was good but the margarita pitcher was tiny, filled with ice, and $40.00. We won't be returning.
- Loved itBenitezDined on 1/27/2014Went with my girlfriend to celebrate our anniversary, the food was really good and I love how they brought us a desert at the end without us asking for one. Our waiter was very genuine and knowledgeable about the menu when we asked specific questions. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/25/2014If you are looking for twists on traditional Mexican, this is your place. Everything is small plates for tasting and sharing. Great flavors and unique combinations.Special Features:
- Easy-Going & good Variety of dishesMBAFoodieDined on 1/23/2014I went with a group of 7 people and we were accommodated well. The signature margaritas are pretty decent and strong but $10 each. Lots of choices of tacos and other dishes. Guac and chips was good. They don't sell single tacos are allow you to mix and match. You do a plate of 3 (of the same) tacos. So go with more than 2 people so you can share and try different ones.Special Features:
- Hip spot for drinks and foodZachB22Dined on 1/22/2014Came here with two friends who went to Georgetown as undergrads 10+ years ago and wanted something new. They were not disappointed in the food and drinks here. We hung out for a while and never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2014My husband and I absolutely love this place! The food is very good (but, I have to admit I am partial to Mexican!) and the atmosphere of the restaurant is fun and romantic at the same time. Definitely recommend this place for a date night and/or a dinner with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much flavor!KBACDined on 1/19/2014We ordered from the restaurant week menu which included; ceviche, salsa trio, suckling pig tacos, chorizo pizza and for dessert- tres leches. EVERYTHING was delicious. You can tell the chef has a good sense of how to pair different ingredients to create something amazing. Every bite was a pleasure!Special Features:
- Amazing Mexican food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2014We got the bottomless margaritas, queso, fresh guacamole, and each had an entree...everyone left full, happy, and feeling good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atrocious ServiceFloridahoyaVIPDined on 1/18/2014We arrived at 8:30pm and were told it'd be 15-20 minutes as they hasn't sat the 8:15 reservations (?!).. We went to the bar and met 3 other couples waiting on reservations. One couple eventually gave up and ate at the bar. We watched the hostesses walk by and 30 minutes later asked one when we could expect to be seated. She looked at us blankly. We inquired at the hostess stand and told soon. We gave up and sat at the bar. 47 minutes after our reservation I received a text saying our table was ready. They never said we'd receive a text about our reservation and its so noisy you can barely hear someone else talking, let alone your phone ping. I replied we'd given up and were at the bar. So they submitted our reservation as a cancellation
- It's okayLuv2dinewfriendsDined on 1/17/2014Went with a group and it was not what I expected. Loud,expensive and the food was not that great.
- good food, mediocre serviceaemirfaDined on 1/17/2014Drinks are the bar were great! The bartenders were not attentive. Was there during restaurant week, the table runner brought a dish that we didn't order (but as it's small plates, we didn't realize) and our service was pretty nasty about it, and tried to make us pay. Wasn't really impressed with that. otherwise, it was okay. Wouldn't go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/17/2014Very good food and nice host. The waitress, however, seemed distracted. Hope you have better luck than I did with your service.
- Good w/ the restaurant week dealAlexDined on 1/16/2014W/o the restaurant week deal, it would have been too expensive. Ok food but the brussels sprouts were drowning in sauce. Mahi mahi tacos were good and the tres leches cake was superb. Service was bad. Our waitress only brought one person his food at the beginning and the rest of us had to wait like 20 minutes before our first course came. Restaurant was basically empty since it was lunchtime so there's no excuse for her inattentive service. Overall, 3/5.Special Features:
- Top Chef Bucket ListjstavishDined on 1/15/2014I came here with a friend for Restaurant Week - she loves all things Top Chef and was excited to see Bandolero was participating in this year. Every dish we tried was delicious - even if none of them were what I envisioned when I ordered. Siki Pak was actually a dip, ultimately it was very yummy with the perfect amount of kick to it. I ordered the Mahi Mahi tacos, and the waitress was very helpful in making sure we were able to order gluten free options for my friend. The fish was crusted, again, unexpected, but delicious nonetheless. The crazy corn was plated as little "corn on the cob popsicles" which was adorably fun. Overall, I found every dish to be a new surprise - and isn't that why people love Top Chef!Special Features: